Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,091 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Perhaps Reed's 'vocals' here are nothing more than a mid-section filler either side of Hetfield's full on vocals?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

I like Lou Reed, I like Metallica, I like Berg (who wrote an opera based on the same play as this album), that preview clip is not very good at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭anto_daly

Metallica are unbelievable and epic. my favourits songs wound have to be ...... anything that is sung by James Hetfield ( all thim) you cant say your favourites because then you leave some good ones out, they are just brilliant and i love to listen and play :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭Paula_K

So! The View has been leaked and is now available at all the usual places ;) I think it was due out really soon anyways.

Anyways, those who were being extremely critical of the 90 second clip will be happy to know that they where right, the song is indeed, absolutely dreadful :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,173 ✭✭✭✭briany

Listening to the track that's just been posted, it sounds like Lou Reed is basically speaking some lyrics above a fairly (to use a Met phrase circa SKOM) "stock" riff so there's not much melodic texture or aggression during Lou's parts which means there's not gonna be anything to really hold the interest. It's not a radical thing to say that Lou's voice works much better against that type of loose melodic backdrop that you think of with The Velvet Underground and you can really lock into what he's saying rather than being startled by the contrast as is happening here.

Lou Reed collaborating with a Load era Metallica could have produced something. Hoping the rest of the album features something a little bit more like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

bluntly: lou's voice does not work with metallica music. no surprise / ill advised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭Degag

I might as well go against the grain here and say that i quite like it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

that is amazingly terrible

i am honestly shocked at how they could release that. +

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Sounds like Metallica playing in a church with one of those preacher dudes waffling to his flock about repenting and praising the lord and suchlike. Didn't enjoy that at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Elrollo

I'll have a listen to the leak when I get home, though from what I'm reading it isn't looking good at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

That full length song is awful. Reed sounds terrible, and Metallica sound dull and turgid. Had I heard the song without knowing Metallica were involved (just take away Hetfield's vocals) I would not have given it a full listen it is that dull.

The music side sounds dated already.

ah jesus, this is a pain in the arse, especially as how Megadeth who've been going for about as long as Metallica still sound grand(though not without one or two howlers over the years), I need to ask, is it still better than St.Anger? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Elrollo wrote: »
    ah jesus, this is a pain in the arse, especially as how Megadeth who've been going for about as long as Metallica still sound grand(though not without one or two howlers over the years), I need to ask, is it still better than St.Anger? :)

In fairness,it's not a Metallica release as such. It's a one off project(thank fcuk!) and not a follow up to Death Magnetic.

lord lucan wrote: »
    In fairness,it's not a Metallica release as such. It's a one off project(thank fcuk!) and not a follow up to Death Magnetic.
    A one time project, obviously non profit from the reaction here haha

lord lucan wrote: »

Good point. I just hope that this project does not set the bar for them for when they start recording the next album.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Kess73 wrote: »
    That full length song is awful. Reed sounds terrible, and Metallica sound dull and turgid. Had I heard the song without knowing Metallica were involved (just take away Hetfield's vocals) I would not have given it a full listen it is that dull.

The music side sounds dated already.

Do you mean dated by today's standards or just re-hashed? If its the former why expect them to conform to the hip and trendy sounds of today which will be dated in another 20 years? There's nothing wrong in sounding old skool as long as its not stock.

Do you mean dated by today's standards or just re-hashed? If its the former why expect them to conform to the hip and trendy sounds of today which will be dated in another 20 years? There's nothing wrong in sounding old skool as long as its not stock.

I mean dated as in tired sounding and rehashed in relation to their own music, not in comparison to what other bands or genres sound like. It just sounds like a generic reworking of their Reload sound, or even worse a reworking of left over material that they thought was not good enough back then.

Totally agree that sounding old school is not always a bad thing. Plenty of bands have released material that had that sound to it which made for damn good listening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,173 ✭✭✭✭briany

Good point. I just hope that this project does not set the bar for them for when they start recording the next album.

:confused:

"Guys, I don't know if we should record all of these songs now. I just can't stop thinking about that **** we did with Lou where you don't know if he's singing or speaking
    and us jamming our hearts out with these.......these............RIFFS!!!

Man............I weep at night thinking how it'll never be that good again. Why bother?"

:pac:

briany wrote: »
    :confused:

"Guys, I don't know if we should record all of these songs now. I just can't stop thinking about that **** we did with Lou where you don't know if he's singing or speaking
    and us jamming our hearts out with these.......these............RIFFS!!!

Man............I weep at night thinking how it'll never be that good again. Why bother?"

:pac:

I'm thinking more along the lines that they end up thinking that what they put into this project is good or very good and get into a comfort zone like they did after Load. Load was a decent album, but it spawned the sub par Reload, and from that came the shyte that is St Anger.

I would prefer that come the next album of their own that they write and record like a band that still has a point to prove as DM was a step in the right direction but not a great album, it just sounded better than it was thanks to the rubbish that came before it, imho of course..

• Advertisement

I'm thinking more along the lines that they end up thinking that what they put into this project is good or very good and get into a comfort zone like they did after Load. Load was a decent album, but it spawned the sub par Reload, and from that came the shyte that is St Anger.

I would prefer that come the next album of their own that they write and record like a band that still has a point to prove as DM was a step in the right direction but not a great album, it just sounded better than it was thanks to the rubbish that came before it, imho of course..
    I'd agree with you on the DM front there, the album itself was a step in the right direction and I was happy to see that the band were moving back to a point where their thrash was well thought out and had a bit of feeling behind it instead of being a mishmash of trudging sounds ala St.Anger.

Still can't say Load was a decent album overall but there were a few decent songs on it(Hero, Until it sleeps etc), I'd love it if Metallica continued on with their form from DM and created another fine example of thrash metal with its roots firmly sunk into Ride the Lightening or Master of Puppets. I mean Megadeth have tapped back into the roots of their old albums and Endgame was an absolute stonker, I'd love it if Metallica came out with something comparable. :o

Elrollo wrote: »
    I'd agree with you on the DM front there, the album itself was a step in the right direction and I was happy to see that the band were moving back to a point where their thrash was well thought out and had a bit of feeling behind it instead of being a mishmash of trudging sounds ala St.Anger.

Still can't say Load was a decent album overall but there were a few decent songs on it(Hero, Until it sleeps etc), I'd love it if Metallica continued on with their form from DM and created another fine example of thrash metal with its roots firmly sunk into Ride the Lightening or Master of Puppets. I mean Megadeth have tapped back into the roots of their old albums and Endgame was an absolute stonker, I'd love it if Metallica came out with something comparable. :o

Now I would love for Metallica to roll back the years and release an old skoll mud stomper of a thrash album, but I would be just as happy if they released an album that was of a diffent ilk musically as long as the music was good.

As far as my ears are concerned they have not released a genuine good or better album since the Black album in 1991. Load I do think is a decent album. Not a good album, but one that did not embarrass the band in any way musically. DM ranks below Load in terms of music quality imho, which is why I would like to see them at the very least release an album that at the very least surpasses Load, regardless of what musical style they put out, in terms of quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

I'd love if metallica just ****ed off and never released piss poor **** again.

Zombienosh wrote: »
    I'd love if metallica just ****ed off and never released piss poor **** again.
    You mad bro?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

yeah that was a bit of an overreaction. hah. Ah i don't care but anyone that thinks this "Lulu" thing is good needs their head checked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I mean dated as in tired sounding and rehashed in relation to their own music, not in comparison to what other bands or genres sound like. It just sounds like a generic reworking of their Reload sound, or even worse a reworking of left over material that they thought was not good enough back then.

Totally agree that sounding old school is not always a bad thing. Plenty of bands have released material that had that sound to it which made for damn good listening.

I see, that's true, it is very outdated. One thing I don't get about Metallica is that they have enjoyed this incredible success but they've made some bizarre production decisions that one could expect to have damaged their reputation and hence sales. It all started with AJFA imo, a decent album but very amateurishly produced, then St. Anger with the out of tune vocals and trash can drums, then DM with pops and clicks from being too mastered and now this, a wtf collaboration with Lou Reed. I mean surely these things have to be obvious to at least one them, surely Hammet might have said "guys I think we need to bring the bass up" or "I think you need to use a different snare Lars" or "Lou I think you need to do a retake of that vocal." But seemingly not. I also don't like the stripped down garage band sound they've adopted, its a bit bland to be quiet honest, yes there's an appeal (which I don't see) in having an airless energetic performance sound, but imo if you can afforded studio trickery why not use it? Not necessarily in abundance but just to give the songs some room to breath or to add some textural flavour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Bassfish

I'm a massive metallica fan and i was like a giddy schoolgirl for most of 2008 waiting for death magnetic to come out, and yet from the moment i heard about this lulu project i could not give less of a **** about this album and that song that was released was a crock of ****.

I see, that's true, it is very outdated. One thing I don't get about Metallica is that they have enjoyed this incredible success but they've made some bizarre production decisions that one could expect to have damaged their reputation and hence sales. It all started with AJFA imo, a decent album but very amateurishly produced, then St. Anger with the out of tune vocals and trash can drums, then DM with pops and clicks from being too mastered and now this, a wtf collaboration with Lou Reed. I mean surely these things have to be obvious to at least one them, surely Hammet might have said "guys I think we need to bring the bass up" or "I think you need to use a different snare Lars" or "Lou I think you need to do a retake of that vocal." But seemingly not. I also don't like the stripped down garage band sound they've adopted, its a bit bland to be quiet honest, yes there's an appeal (which I don't see) in having an airless energetic performance sound, but imo if you can afforded studio trickery why not use it? Not necessarily in abundance but just to give the songs some room to breath or to add some textural flavour.

Totally agree. The production quality on a few of their albums baffled me for such an established band.

Justice could have been a monster of an album with a better production sound, rather than a very good album.

St Anger had a pretty poorly conceived production as well, not that a quality production would have saved that mess, and DM had many of the same flaws that Justice had imho, as well as those annoying clicks.

Would love to hear a Metallica album that was produced and mixed by someone like Brendan O'Brien.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Breadfan/The Prince had that AJFA sound, but you could hear the bass. If they had produced AJFA with that sound, it would have been unreal. As it is , it sounds very "sterile", though it's still a good album. Surely due a remaster!!

• Advertisement

seachto7 wrote: »
    Breadfan/The Prince had that AJFA sound, but you could hear the bass. If they had produced AJFA with that sound, it would have been unreal. As it is , it sounds very "sterile", though it's still a good album. Surely due a remaster!!

Don't think we will ever seen a remix and remaster job done on it tbh. Just could not see the band (well at least one of them if not two) letting the bass and drum sound get touched as it could prove a lot of people right.

Advertisement