Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,173 ✭✭✭✭briany

Kess73 wrote: »
    Don't think we will ever seen a remix and remaster job done on it tbh. Just could not see the band (well at least one of them if not two) letting the bass and drum sound get touched as it could prove a lot of people right.

Are we saying that the bass tracks have been sitting in a studio vault somewhere in SoCal all this time and there's been no remaster?!! It's a slap in the face to Jason Newsted's legacy that his playing on that album can not be heard in any meaningful sense, circumstances and attitudes at the time in the wake of what went before with the untimely death of Cliff notwithstanding .

It's also an insult to fans to deny big big flaws in the production of an album when they are so apparent as to be glaringly obvious to the non-audiophile.

I admire that James Hetfield has always been very consistent on what Metallica is, how their work is to be treated and how they want it to be seen and heard but I've always thought that he and the rest of the band (maybe not so much Kirk) treated him quite unfairly for a large part of his tenure, with the torrid ribbing in the earlier days, along with being overly controlling about what he put down on record and it's a crying shame because Jason was a great person for Metallica, he came across like the biggest Metallica fan even with the band, never seemed jaded with it, had a really intense presence about him, loving the music but he eventually quit because of a disagreement with James over Echobrain as the story goes.

If it can be so, I wish Met and the powers that be would swallow their pride and make it so. (Never gonna happen but still wish....)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Just listened to "The View" by Lou Reed/Metallica.............GOD IT'S CRAP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

The View would be a great song if it wasn't for Lou Reed. The bits where james sings sound quite good and the music is alright too. Lars' snare sounds a bit gammy but we should be used to that at this stage.

But seriously, what the hell is up with Reed's vocals? He just sounds like a drunk guy down the pub rambling on to himself.

The View would be a great song if it wasn't for Lou Reed. The bits where james sings sound quite good and the music is alright too. Lars' snare sounds a bit gammy but we should be used to that at this stage.

But seriously, what the hell is up with Reed's vocals? He just sounds like a drunk guy down the pub rambling on to himself.

He can't sing. End of story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I'm going to pick up this album, as it's Metallica, but I don't think it will get much airplay from me....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I'm going to pick up this album, as it's Metallica, but I don't think it will get much airplay from me....

so just download it then ;)

That's what i'll be doin, then maybe, just maybe, i'll buy it for 2 euro when it's in the bargain bucket of every shop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

scudzilla wrote: »
    so just download it then ;)

Or listen to it streamed from the site.;)

I'll probably listen to it once,have a stiff drink and then whack on MOP to erase the memory of it.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

I AM THE TABLE!!

And with that, James Hetfield and co sign away the last of their fans good faith. Apart from those that are deaf.

Richy06 wrote: »
    I AM THE TABLE!!

And with that, James Hetfield and co sign away the last of their fans good faith. Apart from those that are deaf.

I'd only be concerned if Hetfield had written the lyrics but that's Mr. Reeds work too. I know i sound like i'm defending them here when in reality i've no love for the project but a lot of people seem to think this is a Metallica album with a guest appearance by Lou Reed when in reality it's pretty much the opposite with Metallica effectively being his backing band.

In saying that,Hetfield has written plenty of corny lyrics over the years too!

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Elrollo

and after I'd listened to 'the view', I managed to find new Megadeth songs, Public Enemy No.1 and Never Dead and my god..excellent stuff!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

2qwhd1d.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭Degag

While the lyrics are rather underwhelming, the album is based on a play - called Lulu - so unless anyone knows the concept of the play, they shouldn't *really* criticise the lyrics.

I'm hoping the play is about tables though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Just listened to "The View" by Lou Reed/Metallica.............GOD IT'S CRAP.

+1 on that!

Degag wrote: »
    While the lyrics are rather underwhelming, the album is based on a play - called Lulu - so unless anyone knows the concept of the play, they shouldn't *really* criticise the lyrics.

I'm hoping the play is about tables though.
    its not really the lyrics I'm criticising more than the actual song itself, the lyrics would be fine and fair enough if they were sung well(plenty a metalhead in here have enjoyed some delicious corniness from bands over their time I'm sure), the problem I have with the song is the fact that everything sounds a tad 'cookie cutter' to me, drums are boring, the guitar only really picks up when Hetfield kicks off to sing, theres nothing really there to redeem the song, I'll probably have a listen to the rest of it leaked on youtube to gain a better opinion of it but right now, from what I've listened to, it just plain sucks the devils hairy ballsack :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

briany wrote: »
    Are we saying that the bass tracks have been sitting in a studio vault somewhere in SoCal all this time and there's been no remaster?!! It's a slap in the face to Jason Newsted's legacy that his playing on that album can not be heard in any meaningful sense, circumstances and attitudes at the time in the wake of what went before with the untimely death of Cliff notwithstanding .

It's also an insult to fans to deny big big flaws in the production of an album when they are so apparent as to be glaringly obvious to the non-audiophile.

I admire that James Hetfield has always been very consistent on what Metallica is, how their work is to be treated and how they want it to be seen and heard but I've always thought that he and the rest of the band (maybe not so much Kirk) treated him quite unfairly for a large part of his tenure, with the torrid ribbing in the earlier days, along with being overly controlling about what he put down on record and it's a crying shame because Jason was a great person for Metallica, he came across like the biggest Metallica fan even with the band, never seemed jaded with it, had a really intense presence about him, loving the music but he eventually quit because of a disagreement with James over Echobrain as the story goes.

If it can be so, I wish Met and the powers that be would swallow their pride and make it so. (Never gonna happen but still wish....)

Here is blackened with the bass turned up... it just sounds so much better.

DrumSteve wrote: »

Here is blackened with the bass turned up... it just sounds so much better.

Why are we bringing a 23 year old song into the debate? It's got nothing to do with this album.

Can it not be discussed on its own(very thin)merits....?

Why are we bringing a 23 year old song into the debate? It's got nothing to do with this album.

Can it not be discussed on its own(very thin)merits....?

I know that, however I quoted the above post and posted that clip relevant to that post (in the metallica superthread).

I actually like the new song funnily enough.

that Lou Reed, what a man eh? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Totally slipped my mind that today is the 25th anniversary of Cliff Burton's death. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

Totally slipped my mind that today is the 25th anniversary of Cliff Burton's death. :(

Such a loss. RIP Cliff

• Advertisement

You're right, RIP Cliff :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

genuinely thought that was from the album.

D.Q wrote: »
    genuinely thought that was from the album.

I can see Metallica taking a lot of abuse for this album....

Maybe if I wish hard enough it just won't be released....

LULU was leaked this morning from the US, I will reserve judgement until I listen to it all

Scrap that....it was a dud...

LULU was leaked this morning from the US, I will reserve judgement until I listen to it all

In the words of Blu-Ray Darth Vader, no....NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

DrumSteve wrote: »
    I know that, however I quoted the above post and posted that clip relevant to that post (in the metallica superthread).

I actually like the new song funnily enough.

You have sinned against music. I think it's confession for you, my son...? :D

You have sinned against music. I think it's confession for you, my son...? :D

Ha not sure why I like it... Guess I'm listening to it as some imaginary soundtrack for a film not yet created.

It'd be much better without lou reed though!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

The real one will be a dud too I'm afraid

Advertisement