Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

METALLICA Drummer Says 'Lulu' Makes '…And Justice For All' Sound Like First RAMONES Album - Oct. 1, 2011
    David Fricke of RollingStone.com spoke to Lou Reed and METALLICA about their unlikely musical collaboration, "Lulu", which is scheduled for release on November 1 in North America via Warner Bros. Records and one day earlier (October 31) in the rest of the world through Universal Music. The CD was co-produced by Reed, METALLICA, Hal Willner — who has produced albums for Reed, Marianne Faithfull, and Laurie Anderson, among others — and Greg Fidelman. Fidelman also mixed the record.. The 10 songs are Reed's — harrowing examinations of sexual taboo and moral peril originally composed for a new Berlin production of works by the German expressionist playwright Frank Wedekind. But "Lulu" is a true collaboration: METALLICA wrote new riffs and arrangements and recorded almost everything, including vocals, live with Reed in this studio.

"They're as powerful as you can get," Reed said of METALLICA. "The drums are no joke, and Hetfield is like that." Reed pounded a hand on his heart. "Then you have lyrics that are high-octane. It's so easy, because we're not trying to change anyone."

"It wasn't 'This is my ****, do as you're told,'" Ulrich confirmed. "Lou understood we were going to give him something nobody else would." "Lulu" "is almost like two languages," Ulrich said. "We have m-e-t-a-l in our name. But we can go ****ing anywhere and do anything."

"Lou and us — we're kindred souls," METALLICA guitarist Kirk Hammett said. "We both have a clear vision of what you should sound like and say. Also, he has an edge that totally fits. He speaks our language, slightly sarcastic and blunt, like another pea in the pod."

Ulrich recalled listening with Hetfield to Reed's original "otherworldly" tapes, featuring spare guitar and long drones on cello and an electronic instrument, the Continuum, played by Reed and Sarth Calhoun, a member of Reed's band.

"He was defensive, ready to roll his eyes," Ulrich said of Hetfield's initial response. "Then you could see this weight lifted off his shoulders. He felt a connection. He had not expected that."

According to Ulrich, "Lulu" has had an effect on the writing for METALLICA's next album. Instead of starting with riffs, "James is talking about bringing lyrics in first," the drummer said. "What happens if the music is inspired by that?"

A few days after "Lulu" was mastered, Ulrich described listening to the album on a late-night car ride. "I was overwhelmed," he confessed. "I also felt, 'This is really unique.'" How unique? He laughs. "This makes [METALLICA's 1988 LP] '...And Justice For All' sound like the first RAMONES album."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Elrollo

"He was defensive, ready to roll his eyes," Ulrich said of Hetfield's initial response. "Then you could see this weight lifted off his shoulders. He felt a connection. He had not expected that."
    Of course Hetfield was defensive and was ready to roll his eyes, it sounds like ****e, the man felt no connection and I'd say he was just doing what Ulrich bloody told him to. I don't often feel a passionate anger while reading things online, but fcucking Lars Ulrich needs to get his nose out of the coke, get his ****e drumming out of the band and go lick Lour Reeds puckered arsehole while Metallica go back to making proper music.

Elrollo wrote: »
    Of course Hetfield was defensive and was ready to roll his eyes, it sounds like ****e, the man felt no connection and I'd say he was just doing what Ulrich bloody told him to. I don't often feel a passionate anger while reading things online, but fcucking Lars Ulrich needs to get his nose out of the coke, get his ****e drumming out of the band and go lick Lour Reeds puckered arsehole while Metallica go back to making proper music.

I'd hardly think Lars is gonna leave the band he formed now is he??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

And if rumour is to be believed...owns the name of !

• Advertisement

Stranger things have happened, plus my previous comment was reactionary based on the amount of sheeite he was talking, thanks for the info though, never knew Lars was the actual founder :P

Stranger things have happened, plus my previous comment was reactionary based on the amount of sheeite he was talking, thanks for the info though, never knew Lars was the actual founder :P

LOL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

A few days after "Lulu" was mastered, Ulrich described listening to the album on a late-night car ride. "I was overwhelmed," he confessed. "I also felt, 'This is really unique.'" How unique? He laughs. "This makes [METALLICA's 1988 LP] '...And Justice For All' sound like the first RAMONES album."

I really hope Metallica aren't intending to go "Punk" with this album. I know they were friends with some of the Ramones but I think that making a Ramones-esque album would be a mistake. I can't see this album having anything in common with the Ramones debut record, other then perhaps the limited commercial success the former recieved upon its release.

Jason Newsted must be laughing these days as he goes to the bank, knowing that karma is a bitch upon Hetfield. Maybe James can write a song about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

I really hope Metallica aren't intending to go "Punk" with this album. I know they were friends with some of the Ramones but I think that making a Ramones-esque album would be a mistake. I can't see this album having anything in common with the Ramones debut record, other then perhaps the limited commercial success the former recieved upon its release.

Huh? I think Lars was trying to make out that this album is mega complex/up it's own hole ala Justice, not that they have plans to release a punk record.

jpm4 wrote: »
    Huh? I think Lars was trying to make out that this album is mega complex/up it's own hole ala Justice, not that they have plans to release a punk record.

When it comes to Lars "talking up" a Metallica release, I tend not to pay attention. He endlessly talked up St Anger, and it turned out to be a pile of crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Does anyone else notice a really dodgy edit/auto tune at 3.59-4.03 of The View on Hetfields vocals?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,175 ✭✭✭✭briany

I clicked on those two links and they look roughly as similar as Mick Foley does to Ronnie Drew.

Just wanted to add this little video. James Hetfield circa 1996. One cool motherf*cker.

.......................YEAUHH!!!!!!!!!

Has there been any dates scheduled in support of this album?

I know that's probably a mute point but how cool would it be for Metallica to actually tour (they could bring Lou Reed I guess as well) for a limited run of European dates at a moment's notice (i.e. announce them this month for November)

This is Orion from Rock In Rio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 No 1 Metal Fan

Well Folks I do still listen to Metallica but now they gone downhill after the black album okay I dild like Garage Inc, couple of tracks off Load and Reload but then after that was it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

Well Folks I do still listen to Metallica but now they gone downhill after the black album okay I dild like Garage Inc, couple of tracks off Load and Reload but then after that was it

I'm glad that you've shared that with everyone.

Kevski wrote: »
    I'm glad that you've shared that with everyone.
    Saucer of milk there Kevski? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,899 ✭✭✭KH25

Saucer of milk there Kevski? :P

To be fair the guy was saying something that has been said thousands of times. Kinda pointless to bring it up again.

KH25 wrote: »
    To be fair the guy was saying something that has been said thousands of times. Kinda pointless to bring it up again.
    ah yeah, but no need for the sarcasm, chaps a new user and he made an opinion on a thread thats all about Metallica, let him say what he wants, if you don't like it or feel that the comment is redundant wouldn't it be easier to ignore it?

ah yeah, but no need for the sarcasm, chaps a new user and he made an opinion on a thread thats all about Metallica, let him say what he wants, if you don't like it or feel that the comment is redundant wouldn't it be easier to ignore it?

True but hey this is the internet, its full of sarcasm :P

True but hey this is the internet, its full of sarcasm :P
    Indeed, however Kevski's flavour of sarcasm was pretty unimaginative :D
    Loutallica really went downhill after The View.

• Advertisement

Indeed, however Kevski's flavour of sarcasm was pretty unimaginative :D
    Loutallica really went downhill after The View.

Sure if you've heard it before why get inventive? I never had high hopes for Loutallica

Sure if you've heard it before why get inventive? I never had high hopes for Loutallica
    I suppose its a case of 'if it aint broke don't fix it',
    Honestly when I heard that 30 second clip of Loutallica I didn't hold high hopes, when I listened to the rest of the album I shed a tear and listened to Master of Puppets whilst trying to forget the travesty I'd put myself through.

Honestly when I heard that 30 second clip of Loutallica I didn't hold high hopes, when I listened to the rest of the album I shed a tear and listened to Master of Puppets whilst trying to forget the travesty I'd put myself through.

I'll give the album a listen eventually I'm sure, if only to see how bad it is. I am the table still gets me laughing every time though :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Has it been leaked then? I've not come across it and normally i'll find any torrent within seconds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

Has there been any dates scheduled in support of this album?

I hope not. I havent seen them since 2004 I think?? Whatever year Slipknot supported them at the RDS.....I wouldnt mind seeing them live again after such a long time but I would be very put out if I paid to see them and they played a lot of songs from that garbage. I know I'm jumping the gun by writing off the album as garbage before its even released but if the rest of it is anything like The View well then.........

Testament1 wrote: »
    I hope not. I havent seen them since 2004 I think?? Whatever year Slipknot supported them at the RDS.....I wouldnt mind seeing them live again after such a long time but I would be very put out if I paid to see them and they played a lot of songs from that garbage. I know I'm jumping the gun by writing off the album as garbage before its even released but if the rest of it is anything like The View well then.........

Oh you've missed out on so much. They were nowhere near their best in 04 (I was there too). The RDS in 06 and Marlay in 08 were fantastic shows.

scudzilla wrote: »
    Has it been leaked then? I've not come across it and normally i'll find any torrent within seconds
    whoops, meant to say song, sorry about the confusion, I don't think the album itself has been leaked though!

Oh you've missed out on so much. They were nowhere near their best in 04 (I was there too). The RDS in 06 and Marlay in 08 were fantastic shows.
    RDS 06, that was the one they played Master of Puppets in its entirety? Jesus that was a class gig! Marlay Park was a great gig aswell, but not a patch on the RDS in 06 :D

RDS 06, that was the one they played Master of Puppets in its entirety? Jesus that was a class gig! Marlay Park was a great gig aswell, but not a patch on the RDS in 06 :D

That gig was f***in' mental. I totally lost my voice after that one.

• Advertisement

Hetfield made an interesting comment about the new album, and possible dates with Lou Reed, in a new interview on Argentinian radio
    There will be fans that it will be difficult for them to understand, but we can't stop being METALLICA, we can't stop exploring what we wanna do as an artist. We don't like limiting ourselves. But we're not doing it just to mess with the fans; that's for sure. If they don't like it, wait until the next record where we're fully focused on METALLICA, which we're actually writing right now."

and more interesting
    We would love to do some shows — I don't know how many, I don't know where. How many can we do together? It doesn't need to be 20 shows and it doesn't need to be one show — somewhere in the middle there, I think, to give everyone a taste of it and just see what it's like.

I think we might be looking, at very least, at one London date with Lou Reed if not an Irish and English date. They've said they want to hold the concerts in really small venues, dark places, what are the chances of Vicar St or somewhere like that hosting a Metallica gig?

Advertisement