Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,899 ✭✭✭KH25

Elrollo wrote: »
    RDS 06, that was the one they played Master of Puppets in its entirety? Jesus that was a class gig! Marlay Park was a great gig aswell, but not a patch on the RDS in 06 :D

Yeah of all the times I've seen them here 06 was the best. They were on fire and hearing Puppets in its entirety was fantastic. Think my favourite show ever was the death magnetic release party in London though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭Riddle101

KH25 wrote: »
    Yeah of all the times I've seen them here 06 was the best. They were on fire and hearing Puppets in its entirety was fantastic. Think my favourite show ever was the death magnetic release party in London though!

I'm so f*cking p!ssed that I never went to that 06 gig. I knew they were coming and my mates were all going but for some reason I opted not to go that year. After that I told myself I would never miss another Dublin gig. 08 was proberly my favorite gig. I love both Metallica and Tencacious D so it was great seeing them both perform, like killng two birds with one stone.

Riddle101 wrote: »
    I'm so f*cking p!ssed that I never went to that 06 gig. I knew they were coming and my mates were all going but for some reason I opted not to go that year. After that I told myself I would never miss another Dublin gig. 08 was proberly my favorite gig. I love both Metallica and Tencacious D so it was great seeing them both perform, like killng two birds with one stone.

I remember the 06 gig was right smack in the middle of my leaving cert and the day before maths paper 2. Still don't regret going at all :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Wherever I May Roam just came up on random play on my MP3 player. I haven't listened to it in years. I remember buying the Black album as one of my first CD purchases and playing this song quite loud to really appreciate the mix of the bass and drums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Malice wrote: »
    Wherever I May Roam just came up on random play on my MP3 player. I haven't listened to it in years. I remember buying the Black album as one of my first CD purchases and playing this song quite loud to really appreciate the mix of the bass and drums.

Still an amazing song, such a badass riff!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

KH25 wrote: »

Seen 'em at Donington that weekend and it was definately one of the best time's i've seen them (25), totally on fire, got the mp3 of the show and still isten to it often. Hairs stand up on the back of me neck when i hear the inro to the Puppets album

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭viadah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

viadah wrote: »

I wasn't expecting that kid to pull out that facemelter of a solo.

Also that kid should replace Lars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

DrumSteve wrote: »
    I wasn't expecting that kid to pull out that facemelter of a solo.

Also that kid should replace Lars.

:rolleyes: Where the f**k did all this "Lars should be kicked out of Metallica" bull**** start!!!??? How on earth is one of the founding members of one of the(like it or not)most important rock/metal acts of the past 30 years, going to be replaced????

Can we end the stupidity, please????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

:rolleyes: Where the f**k did all this "Lars should be kicked out of Metallica" bull**** start!!!??? How on earth is one of the founding members of one of the(like it or not)most important rock/metal acts of the past 30 years, going to be replaced????

someone needs to chill out...

(At least this kid has a decent snare sound!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

It has pretty much being doing the rounds amongst fans for the bones of 20 years, so it is hardly something new.

He is simply not a very good drummer and his live play has declined quite a bit over the years, especially when compared to many of his peers that have been playing as long as him.

If you are asking how could he be replaced in terms of how it is rumoured that he owns the name "Metallica" similar to how Axl owns the GnR name, then I agree it would be near impossible to replace him in the band.

But if you are asking how could he be replaced talent wise, well the answer would be pretty easily imho as there are a hell of a lot of better drummers out there.

The best example, that springs to mind readily, of a founding member being replaced in a huge band and the band still having some excellent music (The Division Bell) in them, would be when Roger Waters left PF.

Kess73 wrote: »
    It has pretty much being doing the rounds amongst fans for the bones of 20 years, so it is hardly something new.

He is simply not a very good drummer and his live play has declined quite a bit over the years, especially when compared to many of his peers that have been playing as long as him.

If you are asking how could he be replaced in terms of how it is rumoured that he owns the name "Metallica" similar to how Axl owns the GnR name, then I agree it would be near impossible to replace him in the band.

But if you are asking how could he be replaced talent wise, well the answer would be pretty easily imho as there are a hell of a lot of better drummers out there.

The best example, that springs to mind readily, of a founding member being replaced in a huge band and the band still having some excellent music (The Division Bell) in them, would be when Roger Waters left PF.

This. Don't get me wrong I don't want Lars gone. When I met him I thought he was very nice to his fans, but he's become lazy. He was hungry in the 80's (and I would even argue up until Garage Inc.) and played as well as he could. Now his drumming has become almost predictable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,128 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

lars is class....
    My only problem with lars is the fact he is a drummer in a major international band and he hasn't practised since 1991....but then again, if you earned that money would you practice???

he is also the 2nd in command as regards songwriting...for example Dave lombardo has had little or no input into slayers writing....although his chops more than make up for that...

One example of lars as an artist is Enter Sandman....Kirks riff on it's own is not that good at all...it was a minor change by lars that made it the MASSIVE song it turned out to be...
    We could also inc justice in this too i guess...james riff pretty much just follows lars' strange little tom beat...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I don't get this Lars is a sh1t drummer argument, I agree that he's not as good as he used to be and many drummers in the metal genre are technically better than him but as a drummer he's probably a lot better than 99% of indie rock drummers. Also he's got a distinctive style, I favour that over a technically amazing but over produced/bland/interchangeable drummer. I mean Nick Mason plays some very minimalist drum beats on The Wall but it works for the songs. Similarly Rodger Taylor became very predictable as a drummer later on even reusing the exact same beats for different songs. This happens with guitarists too, after a while you just run out of ideas or like certain ideas so much that you use them again and again. I've listened to new Metallica and I can say that Lars is a competent drummer, not a technique maestro but pretty good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I don't get this Lars is a sh1t drummer argument, I agree that he's not as good as he used to be and many drummers in the metal genre are technically better than him but as a drummer he's probably a lot better than 99% of indie rock drummers. Also he's got a distinctive style, I favour that over a technically amazing but over produced/bland/interchangeable drummer. I mean Nick Mason plays some very minimalist drum beats on The Wall but it works for the songs. Similarly Rodger Taylor became very predictable as a drummer later on even reusing the exact same beats for different songs. This happens with guitarists too, after a while you just run out of ideas or like certain ideas so much that you use them again and again. I've listened to new Metallica and I can say that Lars is a competent drummer, not a technique maestro but pretty good.

Sorry but 'Pretty Good' just doesn't cut it for the best Metal band of All time

Here, listen to these 2 versions of Battery

With Lars, 2004

With Dave Lombardo 2004

Lombardo wins hand fcukin down!!

There is no Lars is a sh1t drummer arguement though. To try and say so in the context of what has been said in this thread of late is simply strawmanning.

Lars is an average to good drummer at this point, and is a very bland drummer in terms of style and is very guilty of being that predictable drummer you say Roger Taylor is.

Lars is quite sloppy at times, and very pedestrian in his style of play for the last 15 years or so. He is certainly not a bad drummer or a sh1t drummer, but he is miles behind the likes of Lombardo, Benante, and Bostaph to name but three in his age bracket. Those three still sound fresher and far tighter than Lars, and the first two have managed to be very innovative drummers decade after decade.

Lars, for me, is more interested in standing on his kit and getting attention than he is in tight drumming, and seems to have no drive at all in his play.

His musical ability with his chosen instrument has never come close, imho of course, to that of the other members of Metallica with their chosen instruments (and I am including past and present members since the first album)

It will never happen, but Metallica with the likes of Lombardo or Benante on drums would be a powerhouse of a band. You would have four members who would all be very good at what they do and no weak link musically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

scudzilla wrote: »
    Sorry but 'Pretty Good' just doesn't cut it for the best Metal band of All time

With Lars, 2004

With Dave Lombardo 2004

Lombardo wins hand fcukin down!!

Yes, but thats the problem with these arguments, metal becomes akin to a sports contest rather than a musical genre with varying degrees of quality among artistic works. Hammet is a very good guitarist imo and displayed some genuinely interesting creative flair back in the 80s and has his own sound but there are a million guitarists far more technically accomplished than him, what happens? Countless internet people saying, oh man Hammet sucks, "I---" (or a guitarist of their choosing) "can shred x10 with x10 clarity and with a better tone than Hammet." But the thing is Hammet came up with original solos, original licks/riffs and contributed to one of the greatest metal bands of all time.

Same goes for Hetfield, decent rhythm player, a now very dodgy vocalist, there are numerous better singers/players than him but he's written great songs imo. Cliff Burton was the only musician I think that combined technicality with sheer creative flair, a rare combination, Newsted was decent but not exceptional and Trujilio is technically amazing but he doesn't really contribute anything creatively.

As I see it they're not a band which relies on technicality, Hammet, Hetfield and Lars along with their limitations define the sound of Metallica. They compensate for their technique limitations by having written a classic body work. But this is definately a thing in metal where technique becomes the be all and end all. Technique is useful but it's not as big a deal as people make it out to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

scudzilla wrote: »

!

I'm not going to get into the Lars v Dave Lombardo who's better debate but offering one example of one performance of one song as the evidence can't be taken seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

And sure the Lars track is a terrible quality recording anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Lars is a terrible drummer, but he fits Metallica. What really pisses me off though is that he has gotten sloppy as hell. Its disrespectful not to mention totally unprofessional that he expects people to fork out near on 70 bucks to see him failing at playing (his own) simple drum beats.

I dont want lars to play blast beats at 300beats per minute or to get über technical. That wouldnt be Metallica. What I do want, and expect is that he can stay fit enough. and practice enough, to play his own songs to a the standard of a 15 year old learning how to play drums.

• Advertisement

Maybe they should hold an X factor style competition for all the drummers on here who claim they can do better......? :rolleyes:

Seriously, it's been done to death.

Maybe they should hold an X factor style competition for all the drummers on here who claim they can do better......? :rolleyes:
    That's a very lazy response in fairness. Is no one allowed hold a negative opinion on something unless they themselves can do better?

Malice wrote: »
    That's a very lazy response in fairness. Is no one allowed hold a negative opinion on something unless they themselves can do better?

If they think they can do better,they should back it up.

I haven't read through all of the posts but none of the recent comments on his drumming since yesterday at least have claimed that the poster can do better.

Kess73 wrote: »

I know it's not new...........it's just boring at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I still think that kid should replace him.:pac:

I know it's not new...........it's just boring at this stage.

As trite as this may sound (and it is certainly not any kind of dig at you), if it bores you either don't respond to it, or better still start a different Metallica line of chat that people can yap about.

The only reason the Lars as a drummer chat is gettiong legs is because a number of people here want to talk about it.

Nope cannot do better than him on drums, but I would destroy him in a bass playing war. :D

Undergod wrote: »
    And sure the Lars track is a terrible quality recording anyway.

Kinda convenient, wouldn't you say..............?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

This is about the 4th or 5th time this conversation has come up in this thread. I have seen alot of drummers that are better technically than Lars. But as an above poster said he fits Metallica. I have seen Metallica 5 times and every time I have barely noticed much sloppyness from Lars, at least not enough to distract me from the show.

Advertisement