Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Elrollo

Kinda convenient, wouldn't you say..............?
    Conveniently sh!tty? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Yes, but thats the problem with these arguments, metal becomes akin to a sports contest rather than a musical genre with varying degrees of quality among artistic works. Hammet is a very good guitarist imo and displayed some genuinely interesting creative flair back in the 80s and has his own sound but there are a million guitarists far more technically accomplished than him, what happens? Countless internet people saying, oh man Hammet sucks, "I---" (or a guitarist of their choosing) "can shred x10 with x10 clarity and with a better tone than Hammet." But the thing is Hammet came up with original solos, original licks/riffs and contributed to one of the greatest metal bands of all time.

Same goes for Hetfield, decent rhythm player, a now very dodgy vocalist, there are numerous better singers/players than him but he's written great songs imo. Cliff Burton was the only musician I think that combined technicality with sheer creative flair, a rare combination, Newsted was decent but not exceptional and Trujilio is technically amazing but he doesn't really contribute anything creatively.

As I see it they're not a band which relies on technicality, Hammet, Hetfield and Lars along with their limitations define the sound of Metallica. They compensate for their technique limitations by having written a classic body work. But this is definately a thing in metal where technique becomes the be all and end all. Technique is useful but it's not as big a deal as people make it out to be.

But that's just it, the drummers who were named in the thread yesterday as technically excellent, but they are also drummers who are very innovative in their field and who have shown a lot of flair throughout their career.

My own favourite "metal" drummer would be Charlie Benante as for my money he has it all. Technically excellent, technique still excellent, brilliant timekeeper, very imaginative style, very adaptable, innovative, and compliments the rest of the band both in the studio and live with his play and sound.

Lars does not come close to Benante in my eyes and never has. It is not for no reason that Lars, McBrain, Lombardo, Portnoy, Bostaph and many other high profile metal drummers have all said that they think he is one of the best ever drummers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I guess the main problem people have with him is that could have been one of the best technically if he had of continued in the vain he was in in the 80's... But as Metallica's music "Dumbed down" so did his playing... he has no impetus to try play well because the beats he has come up with in the last 20 years don't demand it.

If I rechaed his age (and had his money) and was actually gettign worse, i'd go do some lessons, or take some time off and work up the fitness/ practice to bring my "A" game again. Looking at the big four footage I'd say he was cringing when the other drummers jumped on his kit, esp Lombardo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,128 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Neal Peart gets lessons....end of story!!!

I understand that due to the loudness and energy of gigs you can't notice his mistakes too much..however if "one" was played by any other drummer, the one part they would always ensure was perfect every night is the intro to the "landmine..." section near the end....and lars makes a pigs ear of it most of the time..especially in marly park the last time ..
    messing up that is on par with premature ejaculation,...........

having said that though, i wouldn't change him for anything...lars rocks..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Kess73 wrote: »
    But that's just it, the drummers who were named in the thread yesterday as technically excellent, but they are also drummers who are very innovative in their field and who have shown a lot of flair throughout their career.

My own favourite "metal" drummer would be Charlie Benante as for my money he has it all. Technically excellent, technique still excellent, brilliant timekeeper, very imaginative style, very adaptable, innovative, and compliments the rest of the band both in the studio and live with his play and sound.

Lars does not come close to Benante in my eyes and never has. It is not for no reason that Lars, McBrain, Lombardo, Portnoy, Bostaph and many other high profile metal drummers have all said that they think he is one of the best ever drummers.

Yes but then it wouldn't be Metallica, warts and all. Lars has his own style, he's gotten sloppy but I'd take an individual style which has become inseperable from the band over any other. Trujilio is another technique musician who while technically very good really adds nothing, I prefer Newsted's less technical but more individuated style. The same argument can be applied to any type of musician. But there is this kind of thing in metal where it becomes a musical muscle flexing competition which misses the point about the actual music and the fact that bands are characterised by their history, the sum of their parts (members) and the chemistry between them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,175 ✭✭✭✭briany

Ulrich and Hammett as much as they are an inseparable part of Metallica do not play as well as they used to it would seem. I don't know if that's just age, lack of appetite or not putting the practice hours in but it is noticeable. But would I get rid of them? No way. Look at the other countless metal bands who have had revolving door line ups and ask yourself whether they have any real personality to them. Sure the music is played with technical precision but a band is also a gestalt entity, you switch members out and new ones in and it's never the same be it for better or worse but when it's a band like Metallica who have been 3 guys together for the last nearly 30 years it would just be.....weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Yes but then it wouldn't be Metallica, warts and all. Lars has his own style, he's gotten sloppy but I'd take an individual style which has become inseperable from the band over any other. Trujilio is another technique musician who while technically very good really adds nothing, I prefer Newsted's less technical but more individuated style. The same argument can be applied to any type of musician. But there is this kind of thing in metal where it becomes a musical muscle flexing competition which misses the point about the actual music and the fact that bands are characterised by their history, the sum of their parts (members) and the chemistry between them.

That's because Hetfield/Ulrich have so much power in the band. It's their band. Hammett and Trujillo are basically backseat passengers who do what they're told to(musically). I think one of the reasons for Newsted's departure was the fact that he was headstrong, and neither Hetfield or Ulrich liked that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I think all of this 'Lars is a rubbish drummer' talk is irrelevant. Does it affect the music you hear on the CD? I don't think so. So what if the one time every couple of years you see them play he's a beat out or whatever. Get over it and enjoy the music for what it is and stop being so critical. It's music for God's sake not brain surgery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

I think all of this 'Lars is a rubbish drummer' talk is irrelevant. Does it affect the music you hear on the CD? I don't think so. So what if the one time every couple of years you see them play he's a beat out or whatever. Get over it and enjoy the music for what it is and stop being so critical. It's music for God's sake not brain surgery.

*applauds*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

To get away from Lars' drumming... Metallica only mix of The View can be listened to here.

Gotta say I like the meaty tone of the guitars in this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Am I the only one that is loving Hetfields voice in "the View"? Theres just so much venom behind his delivery, I love it

Am I the only one that is loving Hetfields voice in "the View"? Theres just so much venom behind his delivery, I love it

Its above average and better than the eeyyhooo heyooo fare but there's something funny going on from 3.59-4.03

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Its above average and better than the eeyyhooo heyooo fare but there's something funny going on from 3.59-4.03
    That was pointed out before, but really I didnt notice anything when listening again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Well if I pay to see a band play(which is their full time job by the way) I dont want to see someone constantly playing half assed. I also expect the music to be in time on a C.D. - the view, im looking at you here.

That was pointed out before, but really I didnt notice anything when listening again

To be more accurate its at 4.03-4.04, it sounds like a bad edit to me, where James messed up and they had to record the "am the table" part again except they didn't edit it right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

To be more accurate its at 4.03-4.04, it sounds like a bad edit to me, where James messed up and they had to record the "am the table" part again except they didn't edit it right.

But its not like Metallica to mess up the production of a song

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I'm going to remain quiet:D

Your joking right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Patricide wrote: »
    Your joking right?

thats_the_joke.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭viadah

Sheer puerile nonsense but it was funny as ****. Maybe I need to get out more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Fair old debate on Ulrichs drumming. Lars has been quite open about the fact he rarely picks up a pair of sticks on Metallica downtime. From my own point of view the only frustrating part about it is that Metallica's style has changed to match his drumming.

Hetfield is still one of the best Rhythm Guitar players out there and can still shred like there's no tomorrow. However,i think there's been a distinct shift in musical style over the years to compensate for Lars. At the end of the day there's no point in Hetfield shredding along at 100mph whilst Lars plods along at 50mph behind him. I honestly believe the 'Load' era was the beginning of this and it's continued on ever since.

Here's Helpless from the tuning room before a Big 4 show in Sweden with Charlie Benante on drums. Not sure where Lars was at the start but Hetfield looks to be loving the little jam session with Benante. Despite it only being the tuning room(and Lars' setup) it has so much more energy than when performed with Ulrich on drums.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Elrollo

I love Hetfields blurb at the end of this vid, it's like the reel that keeps drawing me back to Metallica :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

scudzilla wrote: »
    A pricing mistake surely?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭viadah

Patricide wrote: »
    A pricing mistake surely?

It'd be in keeping with the general theme of 'mistake' at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,175 ✭✭✭✭briany

scudzilla wrote: »

Wonder if any ironic hipsters will get this for their ironic hipster friends ironically?

viadah wrote: »
    It'd be in keeping with the general theme of 'mistake' at least.
    Zing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

feylya wrote: »

On the week when Duff McKagan's autobiography is released and when Loaded tour the UK live, plus the opportunity to continue my assault on Batman Arkham City I can think of better uses for my time and money then this record

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

On the week when Duff McKagan's autobiography is released and when Loaded tour the UK live, plus the opportunity to continue my assault on Batman Arkham City I can think of better uses for my time and money then this record

It's times like this when an illegal download doesn't sound like a bad idea ;)

Advertisement