Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

Beekay wrote: »
    This is truly dreadful..how did Metallica think Lou Reed jabbering on over there music was any good

I think its more a case of them being able to experiment with sounds without it being their own songs/their own album. If they can put some of the sound/ideas of Mistress Dread/Pumping Blood/Cheat On Me/Dragon into their next album it could be very interesting.

Am looking forward to hearing the versions sans Lou Reed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭InigoMontoya

Kess73 wrote: »
    That got me thinking abiout how a female vocalist would have added so much to the sound. Say someone like PJ Harvey.
    Or Karyn Crisis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Just finished giving this a couple of listens. Not as bad as i feared but not great either. There sounds like some decent music going on but i can't listen past Reeds vocals. His monotone narrative is distracting and sounds terrible when Hetfield comes in and sings a few lines.

Pumping Blood,Mistress Dread,the 2nd half of Frustration,Dragon and Iced Honey stand out as pretty good tracks. I probably won't buy it,glad i got to hear it without shelling out my €s on it but i do look forward to hearing it without Reeds vocals all over it. I've little interest in the subject matter and lyrics,it's all about the music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

"I would cut my legs and tits off...."

What a lyrical intro... Good man Lou :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Kess73 wrote: »
    At least they had the decency to stream it so that people could avoid buying it if they did not like it.

Great point. I'd usually rush out an buy anything with Metallica's name on it (I think I had St Anger bought by about 10am the day it came out) but the money's staying in my pocket after listening to this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭InigoMontoya

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I'm not in MetClub, anybody have any idea what the view is of Lulu on the forums there? Sure if the band were to get any type of forum feedback it'd be from there own

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

i hope someone trailed a rope when they disappeared up their own arses so we can haul them back out to tour the good years!

How introverted and surrounded by yes men do you have to be to actually put that out as metallica.

They could at least have used a different name.

I will await the edited version where some gifted type removes reeds vocal and we can listen to the music.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Dear jesus, can someone tell me which ones are the good songs because I didn't get past the first 60 seconds of The View or Brandenburg Gate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

scudzilla wrote: »
    I'm not in MetClub, anybody have any idea what the view is of Lulu on the forums there? Sure if the band were to get any type of forum feedback it'd be from there own
    Its pretty mixed. You have hardcore fanboys that love it just cause it has the name "Metallica" on the disk. Other long term fans think its terrible. The general consensus is if it wasnt for Lou Reeds terrible vocal delivery, this would be a pretty good album. They are loving the style of Metallica sound. And they think Hetfield sounds great on the0.001% of the album he sings on

I've given it a chance now and let's be honest it's crap. I've given it 3 listens now and I'm quite open about things musically normally but it is awful.

scudzilla wrote: »

Thing is,they wouldn't pay any heed to what people,fans and critics alike,say. It's never influenced their direction or coloured their opinion of anything before and tbh i don't think they could give a flying fcuk what anyone thinks. It's easy when you have a great back catalogue and millions in the bank to do these vanity projects.

Opinion seems split on the Metclub boards. Some see merit in what they've done and enjoy the tunes. Others think it's muck.

Personally i'm glad the band do what they want. The new **** isn't my cup of tea so i won't waste my money on it but i admire them for doing what they want to do. Hetfields interview the other day reassuring fans that it's a one off and they'll be working on their own new material soon speaks volumes. They know they'll catch a lot of flak for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Testament1 wrote: »

LOL "Dear Miss Lori Anderson, please give Mr Lou Reed a handjob, cos he obviously needs one".

Classic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Testament1 wrote: »

Spinal Tap's Shark Sandwich was referred to as "**** sandwich" by some reviewers, I think this is another example of where Metallica and Spinal Tap's history shall cross.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭Brian_Uckfast

After years and years of supporting Metallcia, and defending their recent efforts, I have now officially had it. I'm throwing in the towel now.

Metallica, stop it. Just, stop it.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/upcoming_releases/metallica_3d_movie_in_the_works.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

After years and years of supporting Metallcia, and defending their recent efforts, I have now officially had it. I'm throwing in the towel now.

Metallica, stop it. Just, stop it.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/upcoming_releases/metallica_3d_movie_in_the_works.html

Jaysus! I'd be comfortable with it being a 3d concert (though I'd fail to see the point), but a Hannah Montana-style movie, with them getting into all sorts of hijinks... no, just no! You're the biggest metal band of all time, NOT THE FUCKING MONKIES!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Dozyart

Jaysus! I'd be comfortable with it being a 3d concert (though I'd fail to see the point), but a Hannah Montana-style movie, with them getting into all sorts of hijinks... no, just no! You're the biggest metal band of all time, NOT THE FUCKING MONKIES!

Now where the hell did you see anything like that mentioned in the article???:confused:
    Since LuLu came about people are just jumping to all kinds of crazy notions about the band!!!

Jaysus! NOT THE FUCKING MONKIES!

I think it would be funnier if they adopted this kind of approach

Dozyart wrote: »
    Now where the hell did you see anything like that mentioned in the article???:confused:
    Since LuLu came about people are just jumping to all kinds of crazy notions about the band!!!
    Details on the project are at present, scant, and commentators are currently speculating as to whether the film will resemble a concert movie similar to U2’s recent 3D offering, or whether the band is planning to incorporate themselves or their music into some kind of feature film project.

seemed pretty clear to me :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Dozyart

seemed pretty clear to me :confused:

Not really......if i was going to jump to a conclusion from that,id probably say they might be thinking of something along the lines of "The Wall" by Pink Floyd!

Dozyart wrote: »
    Not really......if i was going to jump to a conclusion from that,id probably say they might be thinking of something along the lines of "The Wall" by Pink Floyd!

Now that I could enjoy!

It probably says more about me that I considered Hannah Montana / Monkies style films before The Wall :embarassed:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Now that I could enjoy!

It probably says more about me that I considered Hannah Montana / Monkies style films before The Wall :embarassed:

The Wall film was boring though, I think a Hannah Montana/Monkies style Metallica film would be legendary and would elevate them tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

No new Metallica album until at least 2013 if this is right.

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/news/metallica-working-on-new-album/

Metallica Working On New Album

Metallica are working on their next album, and intend to spend most of next year on the record.
    Talking to Gulfnews.com. bassist Robert Trujillo revealed that the band had already been in the studio with producer Rick Rubin: ”We’ve been busy writing and recording. We’ve got a couple of new songs we have been working on the past couple of weeks. The writing process for the new Metallica album has begun. We’ve been in the studio with Rick Rubin, working on a couple of things, and we’re going to be recording during the most of next year. We’ve got a lot of work ahead of us”.

Don’t expect the album to be released before 2013. Five years after Death Magnetic came out.

Find out more at www.metallica.com

A rare event in Metallica world,a cancelled show. They were due to play in Delhi today as part of the F1 Rocks weekend. Apparently as the venue filled up the barricades up front collapsed which led to a postponement to tomorrow. This enraged a few who went bananas and hopped on stage and wrecked equipment backstage. This led to the cancellation of the show altogether!

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=165332&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

lord lucan wrote: »
    This enraged a few who went bananas and hopped on stage and wrecked equipment backstage. This led to the cancellation of the show altogether!

Maybe they had just heard Lulu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

lord lucan wrote: »
    A rare event in Metallica world,a cancelled show. They were due to play in Delhi today as part of the F1 Rocks weekend. Apparently as the venue filled up the barricades up front collapsed which led to a postponement to tomorrow. This enraged a few who went bananas and hopped on stage and wrecked equipment backstage. This led to the cancellation of the show altogether!

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=165332&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Fcuk 'em, if they wanna behave like savages then they don't deserve a show...simples

Apparently, the organisers of this concert were just arrested and charged with cheating the public (not sure if that's the same as fraud, maybe this points to the gig being some sort of scam) - sadly, it shows a reason why a lot of big name bands wouldn't take a chance on playing a performance there
    According to NDTV, the organizers of METALLICA's concerts in India have been arrested after the band's show scheduled for Friday evening in Gurgaon (a suburb of Delhi) was canceled. The operational head of DNA Entertainment Network, Rajesh Chandwani, and his team members — Umesh, Ashok Singh and Savio Faleio — were charged with cheating people and breach of trust under section 406 and 420 of the Indian Penal Code, Station House Officer Jagdish Prasad said.

Also, maybe I'm the only person who knows, it hasn't been posted here but it's going around some places. Lou Reed and Metallica are scheduled to make an appearance on Jools Holland on the week of November 8th and then on the Later Longer show on the 13th - I can't get tickets....:( (I intended to vent my objections against Lulu on them)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,175 ✭✭✭✭briany

(I intended to vent my objections against Lulu on them)

How do you intend to do that? Cornering them at some point and putting some carefully considered observations on the album to it's makers or simply breaking from the crowd mid performance and slapping the back of the head of whomever you can get closest to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

briany wrote: »
    How do you intend to do that? Cornering them at some point and putting some carefully considered observations on the album to it's makers or simply breaking from the crowd mid performance and slapping the back of the head of whomever you can get closest to?

Just sit in the crowd and when they start playing start shouting "This is shit, play Blackened" :cool:

Advertisement