Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,175 ✭✭✭✭briany

Testament1 wrote: »
    Just sit in the crowd and when they start playing start shouting "This is shit, play Blackened" :cool:

Oh I wouldn't do that. Jules' heart would be broke. Anyway, I bet Lou will say it first. :D

"Guys, this ain't workin'. Listen, in place of whatever this is, why not just play one of the hits? *Metallica break into Blackened. Lou starts moshing, looking like a wizened Jason Newsted.*"

*Later that night at the hospital as the doctors scramble to put Lou's pelvis back in......*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Hmmmm, just watched a programme on 4OD and 1 of the 3 adverts at the start was for Lulu.

I found it strange that the pice of music they used was the part with Hetfields vocals from 'The View', no mention of Reed at all. Seems the record company have given up and are gonna just use Hetfields voice for adverts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

scudzilla wrote: »
    Hmmmm, just watched a programme on 4OD and 1 of the 3 adverts at the start was for Lulu.

I found it strange that the pice of music they used was the part with Hetfields vocals from 'The View', no mention of Reed at all. Seems the record company have given up and are gonna just use Hetfields voice for adverts

The marketing guys know that Metallica = $$$$$$, Lou Reed doesn't. They're gonna market it on the Metallica angle as that's what sells. Some who haven't been paying much attention may go out and buy it thinking it's a new Metallica release.

lord lucan wrote: »
    The marketing guys know that Metallica = $$$$$$, Lou Reed doesn't. They're gonna market it on the Metallica angle as that's what sells. Some who haven't been paying much attention may go out and buy it thinking it's a new Metallica release.

Well if they don't take the time to do a couple of minutes research online then it's hard to sympathise. Some people, on the other hand, just want to get everything that has to do with Metallica and that's fair enough because it's a collection thing too.

I foresee a "Shaq Fu" style campaign being launched against the album at some point. Maybe it already has. I haven't done the minute's research. :P

I'm so unimpressed by this album i've not even listened to it yet, i think i'm too scared!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

scudzilla wrote: »
    I'm so unimpressed by this album i've not even listened to it yet, i think i'm too scared!!

Thank God it was streamed. It saved me €13.99 for definite.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 metalover

Master of Puppets - first Metal song I EVER listened to and it got me into Metal Music.

Enter Sandman

Fuel

Sad But True

Battery

Ride The Lightning

For Whom The Bell Tolls

metalover wrote: »
    Master of Puppets - first Metal song I EVER listened to and it got me into Metal Music.

Enter Sandman

Fuel

Sad But True

Battery

Ride The Lightning

For Whom The Bell Tolls

Nice choice, and welcome to the forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

briany wrote: »
    How do you intend to do that? Cornering them at some point and putting some carefully considered observations on the album to it's makers or simply breaking from the crowd mid performance and slapping the back of the head of whomever you can get closest to?

The second one sounds like the most fun, especially if I can get James, so I'll go with that

And it's now release day, Lulu is upon us, whether anyone cares enough to secretly buy it....which I have to say, I think it's going to make an impact of some sorts anyway....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

The second one sounds like the most fun, especially if I can get James, so I'll go with that

And it's now release day, Lulu is upon us, whether anyone cares enough to secretly buy it....which I have to say, I think it's going to make an impact of some sorts anyway....
    I got Lulu on Friday, to be honest its totally grown on me, I really like it now!

• Advertisement

Maybe this James Hetfield would react to that in a mellow fashion :

v7uvzr.jpg

This one
    is most certainly packing :

34xmi4l.jpg

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,128 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

lulu will be reviewed on the view tonight on rte, should be cringe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I got Lulu on Friday, to be honest its totally grown on me, I really like it now!

I agree, I think 20 years from now there will be a lot of fans who will like it and will understand what its about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭Degag

lulu will be reviewed on the view tonight on rte, should be cringe.
    Great Reviews!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭Riddle101

My mate got Lulu yesterday, after I warned him over and over that it was going to be sh*t and a waste of money. Needless to say I got a text from him today telling me that I was right, it was sh*t:D. He also got Megadeth's 13 and said it was awesome. So I guess it something good to go with his disappointment.

Rob Trujillo's carreer seems to have hit a road block the day he joined metallica. Financially it would have been stupid to turn them down, but what's he done lately??

His work with suicidal alone made him a legend in my opinion, however after that ended he was real sought after collaborator and did sessions with the very best....then joins metallica....bye bye rob...

do you agree?
    (granted there's a real ethical issue with two of those ozzy albums that i cannot condone)

Jerry Cantrell

Black Label Society

Infectious Grooves

Suicidal Tendencies

Glenn Tipton

Mass Mental

• How to Write Love Songs (1999)
    • Live in Tokyo (2001)
    Ozzy Osbourne

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Rob Trujillo's carreer seems to have hit a road block the day he joined metallica. Financially it would have been stupid to turn them down, but what's he done lately??

His work with suicidal alone made him a legend in my opinion, however after that ended he was real sought after collaborator and did sessions with the very best....then joins metallica....bye bye rob...

do you agree?
    (granted there's a real ethical issue with two of those ozzy albums that i cannot condone)

Jerry Cantrell

Black Label Society

Infectious Grooves

Suicidal Tendencies

Glenn Tipton

Mass Mental

• How to Write Love Songs (1999)
    • Live in Tokyo (2001)
    Ozzy Osbourne

I think it is fair to say that his creative side has certainly been curtailed as his style has become a very safe one. As a bass player I used to enjoy watching and listening to him, but since joining Metallica his sound, while perfectly functional and technically sound, could be that of any decent bass player and not the slap style he used on other albums and when playing live with other bands.

Totally agree with your comment on Blizzard Of Oz and Diary Of A Madman. But then again we should not be surprised with such a thing being done given the money grabber(s) involved with that decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Kess73 wrote: »
    I think it is fair to say that his creative side has certainly been curtailed as his style has become a very safe one. As a bass player I used to enjoy watching and listening to him, but since joining Metallica his sound, while perfectly functional and technically sound, could be that of any decent bass player and not the slap style he used on other albums and when playing live with other bands.

Totally agree with your comment on Blizzard Of Oz and Diary Of A Madman. But then again we should not be surprised with such a thing being done given the money grabber(s) involved with that decision.

Metallica's music does not necessitate Trujillo using his "slap style". He hasn't disimproved as a player overnight, he's just playing a simpler style.

Metallica's music does not necessitate Trujillo using his "slap style". He hasn't disimproved as a player overnight, he's just playing a simpler style.

I didn't say he disimproved, i'm saying it's sad that since he joined Metallica we haven't really heard the old rob in 7 years...Metallica have deprived us of a great musician!

I didn't say he disimproved, i'm saying it's sad that since he joined Metallica we haven't really heard the old rob in 7 years...Metallica have deprived us of a great musician!

Arse!!!!

• Advertisement

I am not saying he has gotten worse as a bass player since joining Metallica, I am saying that his sound and playing style has become very generic and safe, and could be done by a bass player with less ability.

Plus bass slap can be incorporated into heavier music and does not have to be used for jazz, funk etc.

Watch and listen to Frank Bello of Anthrax. He brings bass slap into his play at times, and did so a lot for the Persistence of Time tour.

Tim Commerford is another who can bring bass slap into heavy music, and it can add a very dynamic feel if the drummer is good enough to work with the bassist on such a style.

I think that many thought that when Rob joined the band it would see the band grow a bit more musically, if anything they (and him) have gotten more generic and safer in style since he joined.

Metallica don't write - and have never written - music that necessitates the "slap" style of playing.

He hasn't become generic/safe since he joined Metallica. IMO, the guy is good enough to play a myriad of styles, and Metallica's music covers just one of 'em.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

To Be fair to Rob as one half of metallica's rhythm section he just has to keep it locked down, as James has to sing as well as play Guitar.

Metallica don't write - and have never written - music that necessitates the "slap" style of playing.

He hasn't become generic/safe since he joined Metallica. IMO, the guy is good enough to play a myriad of styles, and Metallica's music covers just one of 'em.

Interesting comment given that Cliff Burton often did so live and did so in the studio as well, especially with the Ride The Lightning songs. Cliff's fingerstyle led to that melodic bass sound Metallica had, whereas Jason's pickstyle (with Metallica) led to a cleaner more functional sound.

If anything the bass sound that Metallica had when Burton was alive and writing music for the band was very progressive and much closer to the Jazz and funk bass slapping style than how the bass is played on the songs from the first three albums nowadays, despite the current bass player being one whose style prior to Metallica being similar to that of Cliff.

If anything it points to the rhythm section needing to be functional rather than melodic as it was when Cliff was there.

When Rob joined the band I thought that, live at the very least, the old Metallica sound would return on some tracks but the fact that Rob now uses picks at times with Metallica is something else that points to him having to rein in his style quite a bit since joining the band and not using the similarities that his playing style shares with the early Metallica bass style.

So you say Metallica never wrote music that necessitated the slap style of bass playing, when in fact it could be argued that the driving force behind arguably the best two albums they made was doing just that. Burton had a lovely bass slap technique, one that he used with Metallica along with his liking for chromatic scales and mashed it together in a combination that sounded like the alliance of Steve Harris, Jaco Pastorius, and Stanley Clarke.

I think if he had lived you would have seen a much bigger jazz/funk influence in Metallica's rhythm section but played with an edge.

DrumSteve wrote: »
    To Be fair to Rob as one half of metallica's rhythm section he just has to keep it locked down, as James has to sing as well as play Guitar.

Poor Lars will be sad to hear that he is no longer part of the band's rhythm section. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

DrumSteve wrote: »

Poor Lars will be sad to hear that he is no longer part of the band's rhythm section. :)

He's been too busy standing up behind his kit for the past few years!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Metallica have deprived us of a great musician!

Wrong, Lars Ulrich has deprived us of three great musicians:D

But actually, given the fact that Rob has taken this rather backseat role, it can be hardly surprising. His predecessor had 95% of his material written by James and was only asked to come into the studio on the days he was needed personally for recording or performing - since James and Lars didn't record bass on most demo versions before St Anger....furthermore, Jason was physically prevented from recording with anyone else or for himself (although he did appear onstage with a few artists) and Rob probably feels somewhat similar of the same pressure.

OK, they may not abuse Rob like they did Jason, but I think there is little difference in how Rob has taken a safe style, follow the leader, don't upset the balance kind of role

I mean, look at Death Magnetic, Rob is co-credited with all songs (as on Lulu I believe) which you'd take to mean that he wrote his own bass parts, but since Metallica only write bass parts to mirror the guitars (post Burton) I think there was little writing involved and either Rob contributed to other ideas in the studio (which meant he was present at the time of recording) or James still arranges all the bass and Rob was writing chord progression and harmony ideas with a guitar and contributed in this way

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

But actually, given the fact that Rob has taken this rather backseat role, it can be hardly surprising. His predecessor had 95% of his material written by James and was only asked to come into the studio on the days he was needed personally for recording or performing - since James and Lars didn't record bass on most demo versions before St Anger....furthermore, Jason was physically prevented from recording with anyone else or for himself (although he did appear onstage with a few artists) and Rob probably feels somewhat similar of the same pressure.

OK, they may not abuse Rob like they did Jason, but I think there is little difference in how Rob has taken a safe style, follow the leader, don't upset the balance kind of role

I mean, look at Death Magnetic, Rob is co-credited with all songs (as on Lulu I believe) which you'd take to mean that he wrote his own bass parts, but since Metallica only write bass parts to mirror the guitars (post Burton) I think there was little writing involved and either Rob contributed to other ideas in the studio (which meant he was present at the time of recording) or James still arranges all the bass and Rob was writing chord progression and harmony ideas with a guitar and contributed in this way

ON DM Rob arranged All Nightmare Long (the main verse riff was originally Shadows of the Cross from the Presidio sessions), however he wrote the flamenco style intro in its entirety and wrote most of My Apocalypse. He also wrote all his own bass lines, James had no input into it this time. The songs themselves were taken from 1000's of hours of jam tapes of the 4 guys while on the road and then written/jammed and arranged /rearranged in studio(HQ), unlike previous albums where James /Lars would come with the idea of the album to start with and basically tell Jason/Kirk to play along

The next album is following the same template, they have hours of jam tapes and are working through them. The only difference is that James is coming with lyrics first unlike previously where he'd write lyrics last.

IIRC, Rob got credited with contributing on all the songs as a legal requirement/agreement. This can be seen being discussed on the "SKOM" film. They filmed part of a meeting with one of their managers - Peter Mensch, I think his name is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I'll break it to him gently.

Advertisement