Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Noticed at the Indian big 4 shows all that was on shirts or on concert goers lips be it banger sister or grandmother was metallica, Metallicametallicametallica, In that sharp accent sorry but megadeth? Slayer?? seems they were only there for big selling country crooning n ballads. how trash :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

LH Pathe wrote: »
    Noticed at the Indian big 4 shows all that was on shirts or on concert goers lips be it banger sister or grandmother was metallica, Metallicametallicametallica, In that sharp accent sorry but megadeth? Slayer?? seems they were only there for big selling country crooning n ballads. how trash :/
    The Big 4 didnt play India? the support was Biffy Clyro and local bands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

The Big 4 didnt play India? the support was Biffy Clyro and local bands

huh? Balls. Device scuppered.. but that's what it would have been like

so what happened, did hetfield hurt a pinky and ruin it for the big 3? metallifail. no-one woulda showed up if they were not on anyhow, I saw the metallibuzz in te run up to the concerts. and it were like metallicametallicametallicametallicemetallicametallicametallica.. need I go on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

huh? Balls. Device scuppered.. but that's what it would have been like

so what happened, did hetfield hurt a pinky and ruin it for the big 3? metallifail. no-one woulda showed up if they were not on anyhow, I saw the metallibuzz in te run up to the concerts. and it were like metallicametallicametallicametallicemetallicametallicametallica.. need I go on?

Well, in all fairness, Metallica are a pretty big band and it was (as far as I know) their first time playing in India. So, I think the excitment can be excused.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

no-one woulda showed up if they were not on anyhow

People don't generally show up for nothing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

People don't generally show up for nothing

Metallica flashmob turns up in a field!:pac::pac:

Having seen videos before from when Maiden played there i was expecting a certain amount of hysteria. There's a huge metal fanbase in India but it's not a regular stop on the touring circuit for most bands.

Surprised that it took Metallica so long to get there given their constant touring over the years.

Well, in all fairness, Metallica are a pretty big band and it was (as far as I know) their first time playing in India. So, I think the excitment can be excused.

point being the same excitement was not generated for slayer and megadeth.. Indeed I saw no mention amidst the folks I had to remove from my network due to relaying their metallihysteria. It's like the rest of the world exaggerated but I know those guys are more popular than thrash, sales dictate the order of the big 4 and they are streets ahead of the pack there. Testament to the fact the world is still a sucker for a country tinged ballad..

..how the fug do metallca sell more than slayer. Typical sheeple but every niche seems to need a chart gimp so plebs can think they know what they're slagging in general, and for that reason metallica do indeed encompass all metal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

..how the fug do metallca sell more than slayer.

Because they're better than them ;);)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

scudzilla wrote: »
    Because they're better than them ;);)

Hold your tongue shaman:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

point being the same excitement was not generated for slayer and megadeth.. Indeed I saw no mention amidst the folks I had to remove from my network due to relaying their metallihysteria. It's like the rest of the world exaggerated but I know those guys are more popular than thrash, sales dictate the order of the big 4 and they are streets ahead of the pack there. Testament to the fact the world is still a sucker for a country tinged ballad..

..how the fug do metallca sell more than slayer. Typical sheeple but every niche seems to need a chart gimp so plebs can think they know what they're slagging in general, and for that reason metallica do indeed encompass all metal.

I get it, you don't like Metallica. It's ok though, not everyone can like them, but a whole bunch of people do (whether for the good or the bad) but there is no need to look down at people that do like them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭MetalDog

tumblr_lsloegano31qht9b0o1_400.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

MetalDog wrote: »
    tumblr_lsloegano31qht9b0o1_400.jpg

So, that's why his drumming has been so bad!!!!???:D His arms fell off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,128 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Kess73 wrote: »
    Interesting comment given that Cliff Burton often did so live and did so in the studio as well, especially with the Ride The Lightning songs. Cliff's fingerstyle led to that melodic bass sound Metallica had, whereas Jason's pickstyle (with Metallica) led to a cleaner more functional sound.

If anything the bass sound that Metallica had when Burton was alive and writing music for the band was very progressive and much closer to the Jazz and funk bass slapping style than how the bass is played on the songs from the first three albums nowadays, despite the current bass player being one whose style prior to Metallica being similar to that of Cliff.

If anything it points to the rhythm section needing to be functional rather than melodic as it was when Cliff was there.

When Rob joined the band I thought that, live at the very least, the old Metallica sound would return on some tracks but the fact that Rob now uses picks at times with Metallica is something else that points to him having to rein in his style quite a bit since joining the band and not using the similarities that his playing style shares with the early Metallica bass style.

So you say Metallica never wrote music that necessitated the slap style of bass playing, when in fact it could be argued that the driving force behind arguably the best two albums they made was doing just that. Burton had a lovely bass slap technique, one that he used with Metallica along with his liking for chromatic scales and mashed it together in a combination that sounded like the alliance of Steve Harris, Jaco Pastorius, and Stanley Clarke.

I think if he had lived you would have seen a much bigger jazz/funk influence in Metallica's rhythm section but played with an edge.

In all fairness though Cliff was all over the place!! As much as i do genuinely believe he was a great musician with a great mind, his technique was loose at the best of times!! Hetfield was always metallicas metronome!

Interesting comment given that Cliff Burton often did so live and did so in the studio as well, especially with the Ride The Lightning songs. Cliff's fingerstyle led to that melodic bass sound Metallica had, whereas Jason's pickstyle (with Metallica) led to a cleaner more functional sound.

If anything the bass sound that Metallica had when Burton was alive and writing music for the band was very progressive and much closer to the Jazz and funk bass slapping style than how the bass is played on the songs from the first three albums nowadays, despite the current bass player being one whose style prior to Metallica being similar to that of Cliff.

If anything it points to the rhythm section needing to be functional rather than melodic as it was when Cliff was there.

When Rob joined the band I thought that, live at the very least, the old Metallica sound would return on some tracks but the fact that Rob now uses picks at times with Metallica is something else that points to him having to rein in his style quite a bit since joining the band and not using the similarities that his playing style shares with the early Metallica bass style.

So you say Metallica never wrote music that necessitated the slap style of bass playing, when in fact it could be argued that the driving force behind arguably the best two albums they made was doing just that. Burton had a lovely bass slap technique, one that he used with Metallica along with his liking for chromatic scales and mashed it together in a combination that sounded like the alliance of Steve Harris, Jaco Pastorius, and Stanley Clarke.

I think if he had lived you would have seen a much bigger jazz/funk influence in Metallica's rhythm section but played with an edge.

In all fairness though Cliff was all over the place!! As much as i do genuinely believe he was a great musician with a great mind, his technique was loose at the best of times!! Hetfield was always metallicas metronome!

I'm just gonna sit back and wait for the lynching to begin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I'm just gonna sit back and wait for the lynching to begin

Lynching of Ash?

Cliff Burton did have a very loose style at times, and he did favour using his bass as a melodic instrument rather than a tempo setter.

Metallica's bass sound and usage of the bass was far looser, far less generic, and far more progressive when Burton was with the band than it ever has been since.

The bass has become a very generic part of Metallica since Burton's death, and despite the current bass player being quite close to Cliff in playing style and technique, or rather he was before joining Metallica, he has been pretty much a stock bassist in his time with the band.

As for Ash saying Hetfield was/is the metronome? I can think of plenty of Metallica songs and live performances (as well how Hetfield writes music) that would back up what Ash is saying, so I think he is right to a degree there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

From Rolling Stone magazine(from a top ten metal bands poll):
    Metallica fans love to complain. They complained when the band made a video for "One" in 1989. They complained two years later when they scored a giant crossover hit with "Enter Sandman." They really went nuts a few years later when they cut their hair, put a photo of blood and semen on their album cover and recorded with Marianne Faithfull. They complained when the band waged war against Napster, and again in 2003 when they made the drums sound all crazy on St. Anger. 2008's Death Magnetic was supposed to be a return to form, but fans complained about Rick Rubin's ultra-compressed mix of the album. How does the band respond to that? They record an album with Lou Reed that most of their hardcore fans are guaranteed to hate. The band has always done exactly what they felt like doing, and it's no coincidence they still pack stadiums all over the world. They must have been doing something right all of these years.
    :pac::pac:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/photos/readers-poll-the-top-10-metal-bands-of-all-time-20111102/1-metallica-0515920

Lynching of Ash?

Well there are some people who worship Cliff as if he were a God and won't hear a bad word said against him, even if it is an innocuous comment about him being 'all over the place'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Well there are some people who worship Cliff as if he were a God and won't hear a bad word said against him, even if it is an innocuous comment about him being 'all over the place'

Well as someone who plays the bass I loved Burton's fusion of jazz techniques and rock/metal, but just because I loved Burton bass style does not mean I have to disagree with what Ash said as Burton did have a loose style of play.

Sometimes a musician that changes the way others think an instrument should be played within a genre is not the best or most technically gifted musician, but he/she is the one with vision and who inspires others. I think Cliff Burton was that kind of musician and would have gone on to be very influential in his field.

Take Jaco Pastorius. He was another bass player who used the finger style of playing and while he did not indulge in bass slap, a lot of his play was loose at times and a bit off the wall for it's time. He really pushed the melodic bass style of play into genres where it was not really used, and influenced the likes of Burton heavily.

Funnily enough he is one of Rob's biggest influences as well, which is very obvious in Rob's other work.

I just think that Metallica as a band would benefit from having a bass player like Rob mixing it up a bit on bass for them rather than having him play pretty generic basic stuff. Watch him in Some Kind Of Monster when he is auditioning. He plays Cliff's bass parts in a similar manner to how Cliff did, and Lars was doing his usual "OMG he plays like Cliff" waffle for the cameras. Now dig out live recordings of the same songs from the last few tours and listen to how Rob plays on the same songs. It has been dumbed down and slowed down.

I wish that now Metallica have a bass player that can play like Cliff but also play in his own style as well as do the more generic styles, that they would make use of such a talented bass player and inject it into their sound regardless of whether they want to make a thrash album, a metal album, a rock album, or whatever next.

They could open up another dimesion to their play if they used the guy right, and it is not as though Hetfield and Hammett are not talented enough with their instruments to match Rob and compliment his talent.

The only one not on that level of talent and ability is Lars, but he is still capable of playing something safe behind the other three and if the drum sound was mixed/produced better than on the last three or four albums he would provide adequate backing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,176 ✭✭✭✭briany

Metallica fans love to complain. They complained when the band made a video for "One" in 1989. They complained two years later when they scored a giant crossover hit with "Enter Sandman." They really went nuts a few years later when they cut their hair, put a photo of blood and semen on their album cover and recorded with Marianne Faithfull. They complained when the band waged war against Napster, and again in 2003 when they made the drums sound all crazy on St. Anger. 2008's Death Magnetic was supposed to be a return to form, but fans complained about Rick Rubin's ultra-compressed mix of the album. How does the band respond to that? They record an album with Lou Reed that most of their hardcore fans are guaranteed to hate. The band has always done exactly what they felt like doing, and it's no coincidence they still pack stadiums all over the world. They must have been doing something right all of these years.

I think what they have been doing right, as far as their live show goes, is populating their setlist largely with material recorded between the years of '83 to '91. I regard Load as the point where it became a known cool thing to hate against Metallica which is ironic for me at least because, on balance, Load is my favourite album of theirs and I had gotten into all their albums around the same time ('98). However, I don't think that a Metallica setlist comprised of material from '96 on would lead to packed stadiums.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Well as someone who plays the bass I loved Burton's fusion of jazz techniques and rock/metal, but just because I loved Burton bass style does not mean I have to disagree with what Ash said as Burton did have a loose style of play.

Sometimes a musician that changes the way others think an instrument should be played within a genre is not the best or most technically gifted musician, but he/she is the one with vision and who inspires others. I think Cliff Burton was that kind of musician and would have gone on to be very influential in his field.

Take Jaco Pastorius. He was another bass player who used the finger style of playing and while he did not indulge in bass slap, a lot of his play was loose at times and a bit off the wall for it's time. He really pushed the melodic bass style of play into genres where it was not really used, and influenced the likes of Burton heavily.

Funnily enough he is one of Rob's biggest influences as well, which is very obvious in Rob's other work.

I just think that Metallica as a band would benefit from having a bass player like Rob mixing it up a bit on bass for them rather than having him play pretty generic basic stuff. Watch him in Some Kind Of Monster when he is auditioning. He plays Cliff's bass parts in a similar manner to how Cliff did, and Lars was doing his usual "OMG he plays like Cliff" waffle for the cameras. Now dig out live recordings of the same songs from the last few tours and listen to how Rob plays on the same songs. It has been dumbed down and slowed down.

I wish that now Metallica have a bass player that can play like Cliff but also play in his own style as well as do the more generic styles, that they would make use of such a talented bass player and inject it into their sound regardless of whether they want to make a thrash album, a metal album, a rock album, or whatever next.

They could open up another dimesion to their play if they used the guy right, and it is not as though Hetfield and Hammett are not talented enough with their instruments to match Rob and compliment his talent.

The only one not on that level of talent and ability is Lars, but he is still capable of playing something safe behind the other three and if the drum sound was mixed/produced better than on the last three or four albums he would provide adequate backing.
    Hit the nail on the head here.

Remember, Metallica on BBC1 tonight, with Lou Reed

Remember, Metallica on BBC1 tonight, with Lou Reed

Is this on "Later with Jools Holland"? What time is it on at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

That was . . . . . . interesting to say the least!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

that was a dirge. It was shamefull crap. 3 chord repetative ****e unworthy of such a brilliant band.
    Rob is clearly weighing money versus credibility.
    That was desperate.

In a short period of time, when they get away from the yesmen they are clearly surrounded with they will rue the day.

Honestly, step back and listen, FFS. Reed is brutal and the band not far behind him.

As Jason would say "Lame ass ****".

Of course thats just me, only a fan for 27 years, may not have adored some recent releases but never felt they were ****e. Until now.

:(

that was a dirge. It was shamefull crap. 3 chord repetative ****e unworthy of such a brilliant band.
    Rob is clearly weighing money versus credibility.
    That was desperate.

In a short period of time, when they get away from the yesmen they are clearly surrounded with they will rue the day.

Honestly, step back and listen, FFS. Reed is brutal and the band not far behind him.

As Jason would say "Lame ass ****".

Of course thats just me, only a fan for 27 years, may not have adored some recent releases but never felt they were ****e. Until now.

:(

Haven't heard it yet. Will check it on Youtube later. ;)

Oh Dear, Oh fcukin dear

A FCUKIN KEYBOARD PLAYER!!!! :mad::mad::mad:

Reed's vocals are just dire, sounds like an out of tune 8yr old

Last night's performance was really really dire, and I felt sorry for the band to be paired with Reed....even if it was their own decision

scudzilla wrote: »
    Oh Dear, Oh fcukin dear

A FCUKIN KEYBOARD PLAYER!!!! :mad::mad::mad:

Reed's vocals are just dire, sounds like an out of tune 8yr old

What's wrong with having keyboards? They used a piano at the start of "Unforgiven 3"???

• Advertisement

What's wrong with having keyboards? They used a piano at the start of "Unforgiven 3"???

Yeah, just in the studio, but live???

Advertisement