Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

scudzilla wrote: »
    Yeah, just in the studio, but live???

What's wrong with live keyboards? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

scudzilla wrote: »
    Yeah, just in the studio, but live???

When they performed with that orchestra years ago, I'm sure there was at least one keyboardist in it.....?

Open yer minds, children. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

THat Jools Hollans thing was shocking, worst thing I have heard in a while, and the only reason it gets on BBC is because of the name. If that was a new band they wouldn't be let near Whelans, not to mind BBC.
    Reed sounds like a slow learner, no offence to slow learners............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

There was me thinking that there could be nothing that sounds as bad as Lulu but I hadn't considered songs from Lulu being performed live!

On a brighter note, that Steve Earle song was pretty good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

Hetfield sounds pretty good! Lou Reed is another story

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

The band looked like they were having fun. They must've had their monitors set to block out Reeds vocals!

The music sounds like Stock(to use a Lars phrase) Metallica from the Load era. In itself not terrible but i still can't listen past Reeds horrendous vocals. Thankfully this promo run will be the last we hear of it,then hopefully back to something a bit more Metal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,128 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I thought they blew the roof off the place, definitely the most exciting thing last night...have respect lads, it's he heavy metal equivilent of helping an old man cross the road!

seachto7 wrote: »
    THat Jools Hollans thing was shocking, worst thing I have heard in a while, and the only reason it gets on BBC is because of the name. If that was a new band they wouldn't be let near Whelans, not to mind BBC.
    Reed sounds like a slow learner, no offence to slow learners............

This is innacurate, granted I only heard Iced Honey but the band were tight and the song (if Lou Reed wasn't singing on it) was quite ok. Lets face it, the only problem is Lou Reed's vocals. While I'm not an ageist (if I met Lou Reed I wouldn't say here let me help you with that), I believe the statement about it being the heavy metal equivalent of helping an old man across the road is valid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

https://twitter.com/#!/BBCR1/status/134368518262099970

@BBCR1 BBC Radio 1
    Tomorrow 7-9pm on @ZaneLowe - Lars Ulrich versus Zane! PLUS - Lars brings some exciting @metallica festival news. Get on it!

Smart money's on Download.

THAT IS TONIGHT AT 7PM, THIS MESSAGE IS FROM 9PM LAST NIGHT

This is innacurate, granted I only heard Iced Honey but the band were tight and the song (if Lou Reed wasn't singing on it) was quite ok. Lets face it, the only problem is Lou Reed's vocals. While I'm not an ageist (if I met Lou Reed I wouldn't say here let me help you with that), I believe the statement about it being the heavy metal equivalent of helping an old man across the road is valid.

That was ****ing shite. Had to turn it off after about 30 seconds. Painful to listen to.

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/#!/BBCR1/status/134368518262099970

@BBCR1 BBC Radio 1
    Tomorrow 7-9pm on @ZaneLowe - Lars Ulrich versus Zane! PLUS - Lars brings some exciting @metallica festival news. Get on it!

Smart money's on Download.

THAT IS TONIGHT AT 7PM, THIS MESSAGE IS FROM 9PM LAST NIGHT

Special Guest Lou Reed, perhaps.....? LOLZ

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

Special Guest Lou Reed, perhaps.....? LOLZ

If Andy Coppings twitter is anything to go by it might be Metallica headlining with him :eek::mad:
    Maverick_AC Andy Copping
    Just one big **** off headliner tomorrow but with a killer twist...I look forward to the meh's ... I miss them

If Andy Coppings twitter is anything to go by it might be Metallica headlining with him :eek::mad:

Jaysus.....................

Black album in full is the twist, so no Lou Reed thank God!

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭hellyeah

wonder will machine head join them as warm up??
    they have toured with them before?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭spaceboy

All well & good doing another few European shows, a few more zero's to the bank balance! But shouldn't they be hard at work on the new album???

That was ****ing shite. Had to turn it off after about 30 seconds. Painful to listen to.

Really? I couldn't really hear anything wrong with the performances, ok James sounded like a parody of himself but he wasn't way out of tune or anything like that. The only thing that was fcking ****e was Lou Reeds vocals.

spaceboy wrote: »
    All well & good doing another few European shows, a few more zero's to the bank balance! But shouldn't they be hard at work on the new album???

That's not the Metallica way. Since 2003 they've pretty much done the same cycle of touring,even when recording Death Magnetic. They reckon it helps them to get out of the studio and kick it live for a bit and then hit the studio refreshed.

I may go over for this. I'm on holidays at that time and the chance to hear Struggle Within,Don't Thread On Me and My Friend Of Misery live is quite a draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭spaceboy

lord lucan wrote: »
    That's not the Metallica way. Since 2003 they've pretty much done the same cycle of touring,even when recording Death Magnetic. They reckon it helps them to get out of the studio and kick it live for a bit and then hit the studio refreshed.

I may go over for this. I'm on holidays at that time and the chance to hear Struggle Within,Don't Thread On Me and My Friend Of Misery live is quite a draw.

Yeah I know that's not the Metallica way! but it's frustrating! Hate waiting years for a new album. Personally I'm not a big fan of bands playing an album in it's entirety live, I think the show can get boring & loose it way, even if the album is stellar, like the time they played Puppets in full a few years ago.One of the best metals albums of all time but when played live in sequence the magic was'nt there. I'm only speaking from my own personal opinion, I'm sure people loved it but I prefer when a band mixes the setlist from differnt albums, makes the show more exiciting IMO.

As good as TBA is, I could really do without hearing Wherever I may Roam again. I know a lot of people like it but for some reason I never got into that song. The Struggle's Within's pretty average too now I that I think about it.

• Advertisement

As good as TBA is, I could really do without hearing Wherever I may Roam again. I know a lot of people like it but for some reason I never got into that song. The Struggle's Within's pretty average too now I that I think about it.

It'll be great to hear Sandman first and get it out of the way!:pac:

I like Roam personally but it always sounds better indoors than at an outdoor show.

I think Roam is a good example of a slightly above average song made very good with meticulous production and arrangements. The Struggle Within has an epic intro, while the rest of the song is good its not their best imo. The Unforgiven though is a masterpiece and I think the lyrics are probably the best I've heard in a Metallica song.

I look forward to them even attempting to try and fool people into thinking they can play My Friend of Misery without Jason Newsted

I will be really upset if he doesn't come on to do the intro for that song

Why?

I know that Misery is "Jasons song" but to be honest it's no reason not to play it. They still play tunes that Mustaine co-wrote,tunes that Cliff helped write. No reason not to play it just because he's not in the band anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Why?

I know that Misery is "Jasons song" but to be honest it's no reason not to play it. They still play tunes that Mustaine co-wrote,tunes that Cliff helped write. No reason not to play it just because he's not in the band anymore.
    My reasoning would be that Dave Mustaine is an ass, brought about his departure from Metallica himself, wasn't in the band for all that long and is more associated with Megadeth therefore it's difficult to be entirely sympathetic towards him. Jason on the other hand got a hard time from others in the band which eventually forced his departure and he comes across as a nice guy in interviews.

I know that Misery is "Jasons song" but to be honest it's no reason not to play it.

Well, Cliff is dead, and with respect if he'd still been alive he would probably still be with a very different sounding Metallica

Rob's technique is very different to Jason, and I could never imagine Rob performing the start of that song in the same way that Jason would have played it, given that symbolically that was Jason's major critical addition to the band for several years.

Added to that the fact that Jason used that hook in his bass solo's and everything it just seems wrong to allow a player who doesn't even use a pick as standard to perform that track

And forget the pick, Rob is just the wrong player to play some of those songs

I would really hope that Jason would agree, or they would at least ask him (and if he refuses publicly mention they did ask him) to come out and perform that one song with the band every night

Of course, come December, this conversation could be pointless and Jason could of joined the band in SF at their anniversary gigs....which they might play the Black Album on the night of one of...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

So Jason should go on tour with Metallica so he can play one song per night? Oh I'm sure he'd jump at the chance.....

It's hardly a monumental bassline ffs, I don't see any reason why Rob shouldn't play it.

I look forward to them even attempting to try and fool people into thinking they can play My Friend of Misery without Jason Newsted

I don't agree with what you're saying either. By that logic any band that has an iconic member leave for whatever reason shouldn't play any song he had an important role in.

Also if you have a problem with playing MFOM without Jason i would have thought you would have had a problem with them playing Orion without Cliff but everyone loves when they play that track.

Also if you have a problem with playing MFOM without Jason i would have thought you would have had a problem with them playing Orion without Cliff but everyone loves when they play that track.

First and foremost, CLIFF IS DEAD....they can't bring back the dead so I cannot reasonably expect them to stop playing songs like Orion or For Whom The Bell Tolls just because someone has died. Thin Lizzy have that philosophy and it seems to work well, financially, for them....also given Metallica's past I'm sure you would agree that their treatment of Jason it makes this situation rather unique

No, it is not a complex or monumental bass line, but it is Jason's bassline and it is the bassline he used for his solo's - that riff is associated with him and his time in Metallica (unlike Blackened or Where The Wild Things Are), and you know what, if Jason came back and played the entire Black album with the entire band on every date they did that then I'd be absolutely delighted...but respect to Rob, he's paid his dues, although he has expressed his love for the Black era line up of the band......I just felt that any other song on the Black album is simply the bass mirroring the guitars, whereas that one track (and the intro to Wherever I May Roam but they won't perform that live) provide for a little talent on the behalf of the bass player

They're both talented musicians, Rob has been a member of the band now for 8 going on 9 years, Jason was there 14 years in total....the fact is, I like both of them, but it is my opinion that Jason should be given the opportunity to perform his most iconic song with Metallica (especially as they've never played it live before) and I'm sure somewhere in the world Jason Newsted is hearing about this performance and thinking "just another nail James, another nail, you never let us play that song live and yet they added Through the Never to the bloody Mexico 93' setlist!" - I mean, its 2012 (not even the anniversary and it's also not even the recording line up, and yet all this line up are still alive)

Also, there is at least one song on the Black album that James despises (and has said before in interviews that he hates) so at least we will have a laugh guessing which one it is

• Advertisement

http://www.metallica.com/news/20111110-news.asp

F**k me. :eek: Make it a Download event in Ireland, a la 2006, and I'll be happy!!

Advertisement