Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Zerroth

Also, there is at least one song on the Black album that James despises (and has said before in interviews that he hates) so at least we will have a laugh guessing which one it is

Sad But True?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Zerroth wrote: »
    Sad But True?

Through The Never?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Zerroth

Through The Never?

Don't Tread On Me? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Zerroth wrote: »
    Don't Tread On Me? :P

I think its Don't Tread On Me

LOL imagine having a f***ing road as yer bride:D.....?? Christ on a bike, Hetfield, what were ya thinking??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

LOL imagine having a f***ing road as yer bride:D.....?? Christ on a bike, Hetfield, what were ya thinking??

Give him a break, since Lulu came out he's now a table

Give him a break, since Lulu came out he's now a table

:D Has get got a tablecloth?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Am I the only one that would have loved a remixed, remastered 20th anniversity edition of the Black album?:D

Discs one and two would be the remastered version and the remixed version.

With all the B sides and demo versions on disc 3

Disc 4 would be a high quality gig from the Black album tour.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Am I the only one that would have loved a remixed, remastered 20th anniversity edition of the Black album?:D

Discs one and two would be the remastered version and the remixed version.

With all the B sides and demo versions on disc 3

Disc 4 would be a high quality gig from the Black album tour.

I'm surprised there wasn't something done. It's not like Metallica to miss an opportunity to make a few quid

What do you mean by remixed version? And remastering is a con really isn't it? Maybe it's ok for albums from the '70s but would technology really improve an album from 1991? As for the b-sides, we got the studio ones on Garage Inc (bar the elevator version of NEM) and the rest were just live tracks.

I'm surprised there wasn't something done. It's not like Metallica to miss an opportunity to make a few quid

What do you mean by remixed version? And remastering is a con really isn't it? Maybe it's ok for albums from the '70s but would technology really improve an album from 1991? As for the b-sides, we got the studio ones on Garage Inc (bar the elevator version of NEM) and the rest were just live tracks.

WTF?

• Advertisement

What I mean by remastered and remixed is something like what Pearl Jam did with the reissue of Ten (another August 1991 album)

They got Brendan O'Brien in to produce and mix the reissue (Rick Parashar was the producer on the original release) and one disc was the original album buffed up and sounding brilliant, and the second disc, the remixed one, was the album retweaked with some changes mades to it, sort of an alternative take on the original album.

Ten is an album of the same era of technology as the Black album, but the remastered version sounded so fresh and so much better imho, with the remix version being a nice little extra for the fans.

As for the B sides and demo songs, it would just be cool to have the all in one package imho. I have all of them on vinyl, but as part of a 20th anniv edition would have been nice too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

I'd rather they remixed ...and justice and death magnetic before touching anything else tbh!

WTF?

Acoustic version of NEM with no drums and the orchestra more to the front of the mix. It was the b-side to the single and IMO is better than the original

What I mean by remastered and remixed is something like what Pearl Jam did with the reissue of Ten (another August 1991 album)

They got Brendan O'Brien in to produce and mix the reissue (Rick Parashar was the producer on the original release) and one disc was the original album buffed up and sounding brilliant, and the second disc, the remixed one, was the album retweaked with some changes mades to it, sort of an alternative take on the original album.

Ten is an album of the same era of technology as the Black album, but the remastered version sounded so fresh and so much better imho, with the remix version being a nice little extra for the fans.

As for the B sides and demo songs, it would just be cool to have the all in one package imho. I have all of them on vinyl, but as part of a 20th anniv edition would have been nice too.

The thing with ten is though, the original production was quite poor IMO and was badly in need of a remix. I remember seeing the video for Alive (which was a live recording) and being blown away then being disappointed when I heard the studio version as it sounded poor by comparison. I don't know where they could go sound wise with a remixed black album. Apart from making it more raw sounding which would make it like the demos which already exist

Speaking of the demos I remember on the b-side to the ES 12" there was the demo which was basically a rough sounding version of the song without the vocals. Me and my mates had a great time doing karaoke to that (before karaoke was over here as well). We even made a recording of us once.

Acoustic version of NEM with no drums and the orchestra more to the front of the mix. It was the b-side to the single and IMO is better than the original

Have never heard this. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

To me remastering implies producing a more polished product than the original. I've always loved the sound of that album and can't see, even now, how a remastering would improve it.

Have never heard this. :confused:

It's probably on YouTube. Worth checking out definitely

All this talk of black album b-sides and demos has me reminiscing now.

Anyone remember the Unforgiven single? So What was one of the b-sides and Metallica thought it would be nice to stick a big sticker across the front with "this song contains....." and it went on to list all the swear words and the number of times they were said in the song

I was only 16 at the time and didn't know about the song or the sticker and on the weekend it came out my folks were heading into town so I gave them the couple of quid and asked then to pop into HMV and pick up a copy for me. I can only imagine that they didn't see the sticker until after they bought it as I don't think they would have gone to the counter with it had they seen it. Either way it was a very awkward handover when they got home

Anyone remember the Unforgiven single? So What was one of the b-sides and Metallica thought it would be nice to stick a big sticker across the front with "this song contains....." and it went on to list all the swear words and the number of times they were said in the song

I was only 16 at the time and didn't know about the song or the sticker and on the weekend it came out my folks were heading into town so I gave them the couple of quid and asked then to pop into HMV and pick up a copy for me. I can only imagine that they didn't see the sticker until after they bought it as I don't think they would have gone to the counter with it had they seen it. Either way it was a very awkward handover when they got home

LOLZ. Must look that up.

I think that was only on the 7 inch and cassette versions of the single. The 12 inch version did not have the sticker (I was sad enough to dig out the 12 inch version to check for the sticker after reading your post :)).

• Advertisement

I think that was only on the 7 inch and cassette versions of the single. The 12 inch version did not have the sticker (I was sad enough to dig out the 12 inch version to check for the sticker after reading your post :)).

Maybe it was only some pressings. I has the 12" version as there were 3 b-sides and you wouldn't get 3 on a 7".

There must have been a few versions as I did a google search and while there is one with a sticker, the wording is different to what was on mine

Malice wrote: »
    To me remastering implies producing a more polished product than the original. I've always loved the sound of that album and can't see, even now, how a remastering would improve it.

I thought the same thing about Ten until I heard the reissue. It all boils down to how good a job gets done when an album gets remastered and/or remixed imho. Quite often the sound quality is not much better if at all and it is simply the volume levels that are put up.

But a really good and detailed remastering job, as was done to Ten, can really improve how even an album with a slick production sounds.

I have said it before in this thread, but Brendan O' Brien is a producer that I would love to see getting involved with Metallica. Even on albums he produced where the music itself is not that good, how it sounds is always top notch. Plus he is the kind that can (and does) point out where things could be changed to improve sound etc.

If the likes of Springsteen, Pearl Jam, AC/DC, Rage Against The Machine, Soundgarden etc are willing to take his advice onboard, then why not Metallica.

If I was in Metallica, I would get him involved in the reissue of a classic album. Get him to produce and mix the reissue, listen to what he says in relation to the music etc. Then listen to the finished article and use the process to see if they could work with him on new material.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Sounds pretty cool, different alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Acidflash

Don't know about the Unforgiven however Sad But True had it, have a copy of the cassette single at home! :)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRH3iiC7MJPRcKXu_hYRnz8S-u0XgoPB7-7LkK-UorTXdQXY6Kf6g

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I thought the same thing about Ten until I heard the reissue. It all boils down to how good a job gets done when an album gets remastered and/or remixed imho. Quite often the sound quality is not much better if at all and it is simply the volume levels that are put up.

But a really good and detailed remastering job, as was done to Ten, can really improve how even an album with a slick production sounds.

I have said it before in this thread, but Brendan O' Brien is a producer that I would love to see getting involved with Metallica. Even on albums he produced where the music itself is not that good, how it sounds is always top notch. Plus he is the kind that can (and does) point out where things could be changed to improve sound etc.

If the likes of Springsteen, Pearl Jam, AC/DC, Rage Against The Machine, Soundgarden etc are willing to take his advice onboard, then why not Metallica.

If I was in Metallica, I would get him involved in the reissue of a classic album. Get him to produce and mix the reissue, listen to what he says in relation to the music etc. Then listen to the finished article and use the process to see if they could work with him on new material.
    If any Metallica album is getting remastered then it has to be Justice For All. Listening to it with non-squelchy drums and audible bass would be brilliant.

Malice wrote: »
    If any Metallica album is getting remastered then it has to be Justice For All. Listening to it with non-squelchy drums and audible bass would be brilliant.

AJFA will never get a proper remaster and remix job done to it imho. I think of all the Metallica albums out there, that one has the least chance of a top class producer being let at it. I just don't think an ego or two would allow that particular album to be changed.

Which is a shame as it could be twice the album it is, if it were to be done right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I still have the cassette single to Sad But True somewhere........

seachto7 wrote: »

Still have my Jump In The Fire single from some 27 years ago. :p

After the singles from the Black album I totally stopped buying Metallica singles. Seems that album was the end of me buying their singles for some reason so Sad But True was the last Metallica single I bought.

I've only ever bought one Metallica single: Until It Sleeps on CD.

• Advertisement

seachto7 wrote: »

Still have my Jump In The Fire single from some 27 years ago. :p

After the singles from the Black album I totally stopped buying Metallica singles. Seems that album was the end of me buying their singles for some reason so Sad But True was the last Metallica single I bought.

Jump in the fire with the 'live' b-sides eh?

Advertisement