Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Jump in the fire with the 'live' b-sides eh?

Yeah. As authentically live as Type O Negative's Origin Of The Feces album. :D

I think the most recent non album Metallica release I bought was the Live at Grimey's EP (which is excellent), but the singles I lost interest in, which is odd as I continued to buy singles from other metal bands right up to now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Zerroth wrote: »
    Don't Tread On Me? :P

I had to double check this, and yes, we have a winner - this information was revealed in an April 2001 interview with Playboy magazine,where Hetfield stated: "There are some songs on there I don't like. 'Don't Tread on Me', probably not one of my favorite songs musically."

That interview didn't do the band any favours at the time

But I would imagine he is not likely to have changed his mind. This is the thing about performing entire albums, you have to perform songs that you might not have played since you recorded them over 20 years ago - it was a different time, you were a different person, and that sound probably doesn't represent something you like. Well tough ****, James has earned enough money from the Black album, he can suffer a few bars of Don't Thread On Me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Kess73 wrote: »
    Still have my Jump In The Fire single from some 27 years ago. :p

After the singles from the Black album I totally stopped buying Metallica singles. Seems that album was the end of me buying their singles for some reason so Sad But True was the last Metallica single I bought.

Have the JITF cassette single myself somewhere.:)

I bought all the singles from TBA,most on CD and a couple of vinyl. The Roam 12" gate-fold in particular was class. They all had great extras,demo's with just Lars and James,James doing his Wah Na Na stuff all over them in the absence of lyrics. One of them,can't remember which,had Harvester live from Tushino Airfield,Moscow where they forgot to play a whole verse iirc.:D

Have the SBT cassette single too but there was no sticker that i can remember on mine.

I continued buying singles into the Load era but then lost interest. I think the last one i ever bought was off of Garage Inc because it had the Merycful Fate Medley live from the Roseland Ballroom as a B-side.

Well tough ****, James has earned enough money from the Black album, he can suffer a few bars of Don't Thread On Me

Try getting him to play Escape!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I also have Jump in the Fire on casette somewhere, real dodgy cover to it.
    The best cover I saw them have was the one with Am I Evil on it, and Blitzkrieg. What song was that, was it a single? A single I think.
    I remember a friend of a friend had a poster of it on the wall, it was a class poster.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

seachto7 wrote: »
    I also have Jump in the Fire on casette somewhere, real dodgy cover to it.
    The best cover I saw them have was the one with Am I Evil on it, and Blitzkrieg. What song was that, was it a single? A single I think.
    I remember a friend of a friend had a poster of it on the wall, it was a class poster.....

Creeping death. I had that 12" and it was signed by the band on the day they played the SFX in '86. Cliff signed it 'drugs'. Unfortunately it was lost along with the rest of my vinyl in the great move in '03

lord lucan wrote: »
    Try getting him to play Escape!:pac:

I'm almost sure they tried that, in Glasgow in 2009 before Trapped Under Ice, James just gave them this cold look and said "don't even think about it"

I guess, with that song, the wounds have not healed. Never ask Hetfield to change his music for anything.....

viadah wrote: »

The band have seen the video and sent this video message to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

So the Gurgaon big 4 show had to be abandoned because the barrier n equipment was totalled.. can I say typical metallica fans? course I fùcking can; they were the only ones there ^^

was it to be a big 4 show at all? Even scouring for news source n blogs, nevermind forums all I see is metallica as if a standalone show; no support. Sooner that shìte is wrapped up the better anyhow, embarrasing to play understudy to that

/hard to discern such is metallihype regardless but seems it was not big 4?? Delhi psuedo metal fans have the right idea. show metallica what it means to really thrash, long before they got near their equipment. seems safety precautions were very much in effect

The India shows were standalone Metallica shows. The last Big 4 show was Yankee Stadium in September,no more planned so far.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

So no more then? Oh pls god help me-eee.. let there be no more..

I'm almost sure they tried that, in Glasgow in 2009 before Trapped Under Ice, James just gave them this cold look and said "don't even think about it"

I guess, with that song, the wounds have not healed. Never ask Hetfield to change his music for anything.....

Kirk and Lars regularly wind up James about it. Melbourne last year:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Wooden Jesus

I had to double check this, and yes, we have a winner - this information was revealed in an April 2001 interview with Playboy magazine,where Hetfield stated: "There are some songs on there I don't like. 'Don't Tread on Me', probably not one of my favorite songs musically."

That interview didn't do the band any favours at the time

But I would imagine he is not likely to have changed his mind. This is the thing about performing entire albums, you have to perform songs that you might not have played since you recorded them over 20 years ago - it was a different time, you were a different person, and that sound probably doesn't represent something you like. Well tough ****, James has earned enough money from the Black album, he can suffer a few bars of Don't Thread On Me
    Hearing that song live is one of the only reasons i would head over and see them at download. Now my fear is that they will absolutely butcher it live

Hearing that song live is one of the only reasons i would head over and see them at download. Now my fear is that they will absolutely butcher it live

I reckon they will try their best, but just don't expect them to be smiling through it:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

No they won't. They're far too professional to do that to one of their songs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,830 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I can see Metallica playing an Irish show in the summer of 2012. Rumours were the marquee in cork but i think it will be the RDS or praying The o2

No they won't. They're far too professional to do that to one of their songs.

We're talking about the same band, right?:p

PTH2009 wrote: »
    I can see Metallica playing an Irish show in the summer of 2012. Rumours were the marquee in cork but i think it will be the RDS or praying The o2

Source?

We're talking about the same band, right?:p

Eh yeah.........................:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

PTH2009 wrote: »

Marquee is way too small for a Metallica gig. I think the only viable venue outside of Dublin or Belfast would be Thomond Park in Limerick but that might be a bit of a stretch as capacity is 26000.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I know it's probably been covered somewhere on this thread but why does Hetfield hate Escape? Sure it's not the best song they've ever done but it's not that bad. I've read some vague reports about the song being written as a typical radio-friendly unit shifter but it wasn't even released as a single was it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

All I've seen on it from googling other forums is that it wasforced by the producer to be a radio friendly track. Never seen a quote from the man himself and anyone else from the band saying the same though, the closest I've seen is "we all know James hates 'Escape'".

Malice wrote: »
    I know it's probably been covered somewhere on this thread but why does Hetfield hate Escape? Sure it's not the best song they've ever done but it's not that bad. I've read some vague reports about the song being written as a typical radio-friendly unit shifter but it wasn't even released as a single was it?

The most common story is that he hates the song as it was written for radio. But seeing as they have done that quite a few times since then I reckon that excuse can be discounted.

My own theory, and that of many folk, is that the lyrics are not about an escaped prisoner as some of the band have claimed in the past, but that it is something much more personal to Hetfield. Maybe he associates the song with someone or whatever.

Shame it does not get played though as I reckon it would be an awesome live song.

Marquee is way too small for a Metallica gig. I think the only viable venue outside of Dublin or Belfast would be Thomond Park in Limerick but that might be a bit of a stretch as capacity is 26000.

Not if they do a "Download Ireland" thingy, and bring, say, half a dozen bands over....? Would prefer Dublin though.

The most common story is that he hates the song as it was written for radio. But seeing as they have done that quite a few times since then I reckon that excuse can be discounted.

I think it's the fact they were forced to record and put it on RTL by the label that grates. They were happy with how RTL stood when finished but the label wanted something a bit more radio friendly. Being a young band recording only their second album they bowed to the label and Escape made it onto RTL. I think the principle more than the song is what bothers James.

They regularly talk about how they do what they want and won't do what they're told or expected. Escape represents the one time they did and i think that's why he doesn't like it. I like the song,not a classic but a decent tune.

What followed later with TBA was writing the way they wanted,a change of style that they(and Bob Rock to some degree) dictated.

I think it's the fact they were forced to record and put it on RTL by the label that grates. They were happy with how RTL stood when finished but the label wanted something a bit more radio friendly. Being a young band recording only their second album they bowed to the label and Escape made it onto RTL. I think the principle more than the song is what bothers James.

They regularly talk about how they do what they want and won't do what they're told or expected. Escape represents the one time they did and i think that's why he doesn't like it. I like the song,not a classic but a decent tune.

What followed later with TBA was writing the way they wanted,a change of style that they(and Bob Rock to some degree) dictated.

They had to bow to the label on the first album as well, in that the label was not happy with the album title and cover art and the band had to change both.

But we don't see them snubbing that material on principle, nor were the Mustaine penned songs snubbed on pronciple.

They had to bow to the label on the first album as well, in that the label was not happy with the album title and cover art and the band had to change both.

But we don't see them snubbing that material on principle, nor were the Mustaine penned songs snubbed on pronciple.

I'd be of the opinion that it would be easier to let something like cover art slide in comparison to the music.Most artists tend to get a bit protective about their music and don't enjoy being told what to do with it. In saying that,Metal Up Your Ass with the infamous cover would have been savage!:)

I've always figured that the Mustaine penned tunes were still Metallica tunes,ie. the others all had influence in the writing/performing end of it so it was easier to push on with them and they weren't seen as relics of the past or a different era.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I think it's the fact they were forced to record and put it on RTL by the label that grates. They were happy with how RTL stood when finished but the label wanted something a bit more radio friendly..

So was RTL only originally meant to be 7 songs long or was Escape added on instead of something?

Eh yeah.........................:confused:

Sorry mate, I was just taking a dig at Metallica, you know because of the whole fandom thing about the band destroying their own material - especially when it comes to the argument of Ulrich not playing it properly

I think the sarcasm must have been lost, apologises
    So was RTL only originally meant to be 7 songs long or was Escape added on instead of something?

Apparently some idiot felt Escape was a radio friendly song, which is absurd, because it's not like they even tried to market it or you get collectors trading "Escape Radio Promo" Vinyl's or something

I think that whole excuse is bull**** personally, and there is another, maybe even more personal reason why James didn't like Escape....seems very bizzare...

Actually, Metallica are probably too embarrassed too play Escape nowadays anyway, not least of all since Jamie Jasta decided to cover it....another reason to loathe Hatebreed

• Advertisement

With all this talk about Escape i think i'm gonna head down to Paddy Powers and put money on them busting it out at one of the 4 Fillmore shows. It'd be just be the sort of thing they'd do.

Advertisement