Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Am I Evil?

DrumSteve wrote: »
    The pro's of dave playing that are that it embarrassed lars to get off his ass to do something better (as evidenced on death magnetic)

I would also plead with them to not play dyers eve live...without the double bass drum it sounds so barren and stupid.

Except his drumming on St Anger and every other record is also great.
    ****ty snare drum aside :pac:

Dyers Eve does lose a lot without the constant double bass but still a cool song, They should get get rid of the into tape however, Was much better in 2004 when they played the full song

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Saw them last night and thought they were amazing.

While what James says to the crowd is obviously embellished rhetoric, he does come across as somewhat genuine. Lars, on the other hand, sounds awfully forced.

The performance of One which went straight into Master of Puppets was the best of the night. Enter Sandman and Fade to Black were class performances too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Saw them last night and thought they were amazing.

While what James says to the crowd is obviously embellished rhetoric, he does come across as somewhat genuine. Lars, on the other hand, sounds awfully forced.

The performance of One which went straight into Master of Puppets was the best of the night. Enter Sandman and Fade to Black were class performances too.

That opening blast,Creep-Bellz-Never-Disposable heroes was unreal. Despite it being show number 18 for me i was still blown away. **** me they just keep getting better.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭madheaded

Do you think Lars is a good drummer? In my opinion he's pretty good, not the best technically but fairly proficient.

I think lars is a good drummer and people that run him down dont understand that he is completely self taught in an era before internet and had to do it for himself also Lars along with other drummers pioneered double bass and made it a part of metal today.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Am I Evil? wrote: »
    Except his drumming on St Anger and every other record is also great.
    ****ty snare drum aside :pac:

I dunno man.black album, load and re-load were generic 4/4 mostly with the odd exeption here or there.

St Anger could have been good if perhaps he used that snare on one track but he shouldn't have taken the reverb off the snare. it sounded terrible. i would argue that death magnetic (album) is his best performance since AJFA (even puppets).

I dont necessarily think he's a bad drummer in the studio but live he does himself no favours. Not previously anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I dont necessarily think he's a bad drummer in the studio but live he does himself no favours. Not previously anyway.

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Lars_Ulrich.html

For the record,the reason which we all guessed was why they didn't play any shows at the Point is true. Their stage set-up wouldn't fit in the Point. They tried to figure it out but it just wouldn't work. That's straight from Lars' mouth.:)

They say a picture paints a thousand words!!

31782_399253431945_580631945_4822977_7199006_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

lord lucan wrote: »

Hetfield is such a geek!! I wouldn't say it to his face, mind you!! :D

For the record,the reason which we all guessed was why they didn't play any shows at the Point is true. Their stage set-up wouldn't fit in the Point. They tried to figure it out but it just wouldn't work. That's straight from Lars' mouth.:)

Told ya. I got the same info from Tommy T in Sound Cellar on Nassau Street.

• Advertisement

I dunno man.black album, load and re-load were generic 4/4 mostly with the odd exeption here or there.

St Anger could have been good if perhaps he used that snare on one track but he shouldn't have taken the reverb off the snare. it sounded terrible. i would argue that death magnetic (album) is his best performance since AJFA (even puppets).

Yeah I agree he doesn't do himself any favours.

I just do think the majority of his drumming is really good. I'm not a drumming expert or anything haha but to me the way lars drums is just one of my favourite styles

Told ya. I got the same info from Tommy T in Sound Cellar on Nassau Street.

Perhaps they'll announce a straight forward Irish show in the 02 now in September alongside their current Japanese dates. It'd be unexpected, but still worthwhile, and the band have said themselves they have a few more dates left up their sleeves

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

yeah - we were trying to look at how they'd fit it and what the problems would be when sitting in the seats at one corner at Rage - to be honest with the stage they have I don't think the seats would have a view of all of the stage - and that would obviously be a draw back, stick the lightning rig in there and I just don't think it would work - the O2 here is just to squashed up......

hopefully they'll do an indoor show here next either way, I've definitely had my fill of Marlay....

where the hell is Jeff Hanneman?

where the hell is Jeff Hanneman?

He's the one taking the photo, perhaps?? :D

NIBBS wrote: »
    yeah - we were trying to look at how they'd fit it and what the problems would be when sitting in the seats at one corner at Rage - to be honest with the stage they have I don't think the seats would have a view of all of the stage - and that would obviously be a draw back, stick the lightning rig in there and I just don't think it would work - the O2 here is just to squashed up......

hopefully they'll do an indoor show here next either way, I've definitely had my fill of Marlay....

And Lars still called it The Point,good man.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

It'll always be the Point! (as Lansdowne Road will always be Landsowne Road).

backdrop500.png

wgKawki-5001.png

backdrop500.png

Forgive me for stirring, but you'll notice who Dave does NOT have his hand around

• Advertisement

Forgive me for stirring, but you'll notice who Dave does NOT have his hand around

FFS go join the Conspiracy Theory forum. His arms ain't that bloody long!

How's this for ya?:pac:

06jun1610_pic10.jpg

06jun1610_pic10.jpg

Much better, thanks

P.S. Have you seen the recent announcement of more Australian dates on the way to Japan....still leaving September 4th open and still of course hinting there are a few shows left before touring winds down? I'm thinking if they play anywhere in Europe in September I'm gonna go

06jun1610_pic10.jpg

Broken........ :(

EDIT: Fixed. Stoopid comp.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Cliff wins imo, as he combined tech skill with originality/soul, the best of both worlds which makes him a superior musician. Newsted is ok, puts in a lot of feeling and has a distinctive style but I dunno, he just didn't really use the bass in the same adventurous way as cliff. T guy is technically outstanding but lacks originality, I appreciate his technique but for me, its ultimately about innovation rather than playing technically difficult stuff, of course if you combine both then you've got the ultimate musician.

This interview with Mustaine and kerry king makes for some good reading :D
    Revolver: How did the "Big Four" tour come about?

King: It was something that was trying to be made happen, so it just took everyone signing off on it. I gotta tell you, man, I can't believe, in the 27 years since we put our first record out, that no one's tried to make this happen. Because now that it is happening, it's so cool, it's so important, that every territory in the world wants it. I don't know what took so long.

Mustaine: We had some opportunities to do these festivals, and we had been doing the Carnage dates [with SLAYER], which were of course so popular in the States and Canada. For me, personally, I didn't see it coming… Having dinner with Lars [Ulrich] the other night, he told me that he had talked to SLAYER's tour manager a year and a half ago about whether or not this was gonna happen, and I thought, God, I'm so glad I didn't know about this a year and a half ago, because I would've had to spend every day with that "I've got a big gig coming" brain.

Revolver: For a long time, it seemed like there was bad blood between you guys, specifically between SLAYER and MEGADETH, and MEGADETH and METALLICA. What squashed that beef?

King: Before we did the Australian and Japanese run with MEGADETH, I was reading the Revolver SLAYER issue, and reading this interview we did with Dave. And I just couldn't remember why I wasn't friends with this dude anymore — I could not remember what I was upset about. So we get to the airport, and I saw him coming out of the lounge, and I came up, shook his hand, and said, "Hey, dude, I don't think I've talked to you in about 15 years!" We have a ****load of dates coming up, and honestly, when I've talked to him, I remember the guy I dug 25 years ago.

Mustaine: We've just learned how to step back see what we stand for in the world, the "Big Four," and how each band has contributed to that in its own way. I had a huge turnaround on my whole outlook at life walking into this tour, these dates, with just a brand new relationship. The first person I talked to was [METALLICA guitarist] Kirk [Hammett]. We talked for a while, and then at dinner, I sat next to James [Hetfield] and Lars, and it was cool to look at it — just how much we changed the world… Twenty years ago, this tour probably wouldn't have happened — we were all young, and we weren't dealing with the fame too well.

Revolver: What do SLAYER represent in the "Big Four?"

King: We represent all that is evil in the "Big Four," and historically, I think we've represented thrash the best, but it's funny, just how these four bands from this same movement went off to become different entities.

Revolver: What about MEGADETH?

Mustaine: Our lyrics are a little deeper than some of the others, but we're each different in that way — SLAYER's lyrics are really different from ANTHRAX's. We're really just like a four-paned window, you know — four different vantage points, all getting across that same message.

Revolver: Since METALLICA is headlining these shows, Kerry, should they be worried about getting blown off the stage by one of you?

King: The one thing I'm not happy about — and we didn't know this until we got here — is that it's not always the "Big Four" in a row. Some days, there are bands in between us, and that's kind of a bummer. A night ending with ANTHRAX, MEGADETH, and SLAYER would be brutal. I have nothing against those other bands, but I didn't know about that. But yeah, we open for METALLICA some nights. I've seen METALLICA twice on this tour, and they may not have all the spiel and bells and whistles they had in the States, but they've been killing it. They're pros, man, they'll have no problem. That said, man, our set's brutal, and it ain't there to make friends.
    Revolver - Full interview

Would have loved to hear what Dave,Kirk,Lars and James spoke about :pac:

Newsted is ok, puts in a lot of feeling and has a distinctive style but I dunno, he just didn't really use the bass in the same adventurous way as cliff.

I think that has a lot to do with the way he was viewed, or treated, in the band. In 15 years he handed Metallica a lot of material for every album he contributed on but just 'Where The Wild Things Are', 'Blackened' and 'My Friend Of Misery' afforded him any writing credits

That means he was either ignored or his material was taken, and then they claimed they had "reworked" it so much he couldn't be credited, and who was Newsted to say "hold on James Hetfield, you can't screw me over like this...." Newsted did what he was told because he was both a Metallica fan and he didn't want to appear weak

I know for a fact that Newsted started travelling alone on the Load Tour around 96 and continued this until he left Metallica. Wherever possible, Newsted kept his own company, and whereas the other members sometimes shared a room or a bus it was different with Jason.

I also think there's a problem in a band where James has always written the lyrics, because despite the fact he's the vocalist he has never given that role up to anyone and I don't think he ever will. For a band that claimed to deal with their issues throughout St Anger I don't think they learned enough.

I also think there's a problem in a band where James has always written the lyrics, because despite the fact he's the vocalist he has never given that role up to anyone and I don't think he ever will. For a band that claimed to deal with their issues throughout St Anger I don't think they learned enough.

They shared the lyric writing on St. Anger. The results speak for themselves and you can see why Hetfield took the lyric writing back on board himself.

I always liked Jason. He was like one of us fans except he was in the band. His stage presence and backing vocals were brilliant. His playing was pretty good too but i prefer Trujillo's sound tbh. In truth it doesn't matter who plays bass in Metallica,they'll always be in the shadow of Cliff. They do seem very comfortable with Trujillo though,that may be down to his laid back personality. Jason was an eager beaver,always wanting to write and play. It didn't fit in with the often long down times Metallica were renowned for.

In truth it doesn't matter who plays bass in Metallica,they'll always be in the shadow of Cliff.

I want to agree with you, but I wonder, do newer Metallica fans (in both age and musical taste) maybe not associate Cliff with the band as much as veteran fans do. I mean, they made no videos with Cliff, despite his incredible musical input and vision. And, as fate would have it, there also exist's not a single professionally shot Metallica concert featuring Cliff in the line up. So asides from a few scattered interviews...in which Cliff hardly says anything next to a spotty Hetfield....there really isn't anything of Cliff around.

And since he is dead, may he RIP, he isn't performing in another group and so new fans haven't seen him perform at all since 1986 - unlike Big Jim Martin ex-FNM or Slash ex-GNR for example

And, of course, it's not absurd to assume that a casual Metallica fan who doesn't check the Internet on the subject (and there are plenty of them around the globe) might simply assume Metallica's old bassist was Jason Newsted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Good points about Newsted. While Bob Rock says a lot of meaningless stuff in Some Kind of Monster I think he hit the nail on the head when he said that Metallica would never have a permanent bassist. Imo the chemistry of the band was cemented with Cliff and its never really been replaced. That said I don't know why Newsted stuck out the hazing for so long, the money I guess? Didn't know he travelled solo during Load. Was watching a Kirk Hammet interview from this year and it was telling when he stated that Trujillio replaced "that guy who left."

edit: AJFA is one of the best "political" rock albums ever. Imo the lyrics are excellent and don't involve sloganeering so AJFA is awesome.

Advertisement