Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Load may not be a favourite with many fans but this song still rocks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

lord lucan wrote: »

Truthfully, I love this song, and songs like 'Bleeding Me' and 'Devil's Dance' are just (to me) some the pinnacle of Metallica material - it doesn't have to be heavier so long as it sound's good...and for me, this sounds great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,130 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

that new ep is savage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

that new ep is savage

Well the first 2 tracks are good and could easily have replaced TDTNC or Cynaide on the album, the last 2 are average enough I think.

that new ep is savage

Hate Train,Hell and Back,and Just a Bullet Away are excellent tracks,haven't stopped listening to them since they came out.

Rebel of Babylon is a bit all over the place,sounds like a song under construction. Has some great moments but doesn't quite flow like the other 3 tunes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

lord lucan wrote: »

This is a great tune off a good album imo

But FFS why cant lars keep time...hes all over the place in this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

That's illegal downloading mate, I'm pretty sure that's against the policy of the forums, and since I paid for those tracks then there's no reason you shouldn't IMO...I don't understand why you think you deserve to get them for free?

I'm just being honest

I can understand people wanting to download this free (not saying I agree), you pay your money and you're not physically getting anything in return. I would have much preferred if it had of been released as a vinyl or CD EP instead of digital. No effort goes into a digital release.

(For the record I signed up to O2 treats and got free credits for itunes and downloaded it that way!)

ozzy jr wrote: »
    I would have much preferred if it had of been released as a vinyl or CD EP instead of digital. No effort goes into a digital release.

I completely agree with you, that is an excellent idea but of course you always run the risk that Metallica collectors will purchase the item and then sell it off for huge prices if it's in any way limited (or if the Vinyl comes coloured or something like that for example).

Also, I can understand in this instance why a physical release didn't happen, primarily because these songs are all demo versions and are in no way the finished product of a mastered and well produced Metallica song. They sound great, but even though Metallica have released demo's before, those who purchased the single releases for Death Magnetic (or indeed the coffin box set with bonus CD) would argue they should have been B Sides at that time.
    you pay your money and you're not physically getting anything in return.

I have to disagree with this, since you're physically getting the song/album in exchange for your money, that's the whole process.

I can understand people being upset about not having the physical CD though, I love the actual CD myself and support the purchase of actual physical albums a lot more than their digital counterpart (even if it means I have to get some high street or on-line retailer to order me an import) so for me the process is purchasing actual CDs wherever I can....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Also, I can understand in this instance why a physical release didn't happen, primarily because these songs are all demo versions and are in no way the finished product of a mastered and well produced Metallica song....

Probably still sound better than the... ahem... mastered versions on DM ;)

Has anyone got any Metallica vinyl, out of interest? I picked up ...ajfa a while ago, it wasn't a huge improvement on the CD acoustically., the outro to ...ajfa sounds EPIC!

True enough!

• Advertisement

Just another topic, tell me if I'm crazy, but does the intro to this tune sound a little like "To Live Is To Die" - if not then the tune is really sounding like it comes straight off an unused riff from AJFA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Has anyone got any Metallica vinyl, out of interest? I picked up ...ajfa a while ago, it wasn't a huge improvement on the CD acoustically., the outro to ...ajfa sounds EPIC!

I got Justice, Master and Ride when they were rereleased as part of the 45rpm series.

Each album is on two records so there are four sides to each album, and are far superior soundwise to the single record versions that were released.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Riddle101

You know I've been thinking about Rob Trujillo for a while now, and even though he's an awesome muscian. I just don't think he suits Metallica. Maybe I just miss Jason Newsted, but I never really liked the look of Metallica with Rob in it. Does that seem like nit picking to you people?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Riddle101 wrote: »
    You know I've been thinking about Rob Trujillo for a while now, and even though he's an awesome muscian. I just don't think he suits Metallica. Maybe I just miss Jason Newsted, but I never really liked the look of Metallica with Rob in it. Does that seem like nit picking to you people?

Jaysus.............not THIS again!!?? Jason left the band over 10 years ago. Move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Jaysus.............not THIS again!!?? Jason left the band over 10 years ago. Move on.

He has moved on, i think he was just saying that he doesn't think Rob fits in, not that Jason should come back.

Jason left and the best guy who applied for the job got it, thank fcuk some of the contenders didn't get it, now that would have been fcuked up

For me, Rob has only ever looked like a hired hand, but at least he can live with that and accept the paycheck. Newsted wanted the job so bad that he put up with years of torment and abuse just to take the title. And sadly, to the other members of Metallica, Newsted was just a hired hand filling in for the late great Cliff Burton. I think Rob is simply a hired hand, a talented musician, and an excellent bassist...but a talent wasted for all he doesn't do and never will in Metallica.

I think Robs style and look in Metallica make him appear a bit unorthodox and almost out of place at times. In some ways it's reminiscent of Cliff Burton,with his flares and the like,he stood out amongst the skin tight black jeans and bullet belts.

I think what Rob brought to Metallica was stability. He's happy to chip in ideas as well as float around in the background. Both him and Kirk are content to sit in the back seat of the car and leave the driving to Lars and James. They don't feel aggrieved about it or carry it around like a great big chip on the shoulder.

I'm sure Rob was more than aware on joining Metallica that his playing style would be curtailed. He'd being playing with Ozzy prior to getting the Metallica job and had to play the more traditional bass playing role.

Dunno what the score is here for posting links to torrent sites so if ya want a link to where ya can get the 4 Fillmore shows just send me a PM ;)

scudzilla wrote: »
    Dunno what the score is here for posting links to torrent sites so if ya want a link to where ya can get the 4 Fillmore shows just send me a PM ;)

I give up. I'm obviously fighting a loosing battle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I think posting a link to the show is a little different. A lot of people wanted to be there but couldn't... How is downloading the recording of that show any different to it being uploaded on to youtube?

• Advertisement

DrumSteve wrote: »

I think posting a link to the show is a little different. A lot of people wanted to be there but couldn't... How is downloading the recording of that show any different to it being uploaded on to youtube?

Metallica are selling audio recordings of the gigs for $9.95 each whereas any videos on YouTube at the moment were recorded from the crowd so the quality won't be the same. Considering they got the Beyond Metallica songs taken down, I'd say if anyone posted the livemetallica recordings on YouTube they'd be taken down as well. So what MC is probably getting at is that posting a link to the proper live recordings is the same as linking to any other copyrighted stuff

Metallica are selling audio recordings of the gigs for $9.95 each whereas any videos on YouTube at the moment were recorded from the crowd so the quality won't be the same. Considering they got the Beyond Metallica songs taken down, I'd say if anyone posted the livemetallica recordings on YouTube they'd be taken down as well. So what MC is probably getting at is that posting a link to the proper live recordings is the same as linking to any other copyrighted stuff

Ah I understand that completely, if it's copyrighted that **** ain't cool, I thought they were fan videos.

So what MC is probably getting at is that posting a link to the proper live recordings is the same as linking to any other copyrighted stuff

Yes, well said, but don't get me wrong...I welcome YouTube links to the official recordings from Live Metallica, no problem there, and indeed YT links to any official videos are perfectly OK...it's just the illegal obtaining, downloading and distribution of copyrighted material that I disagree with

No problem, for example, posting the YouTube link to the version of Whiplash the band did on the fourth night with JASON ON VOCALS....after all, it might encourage you to go and buy it

For me, Rob has only ever looked like a hired hand, but at least he can live with that and accept the paycheck. Newsted wanted the job so bad that he put up with years of torment and abuse just to take the title. And sadly, to the other members of Metallica, Newsted was just a hired hand filling in for the late great Cliff Burton. I think Rob is simply a hired hand, a talented musician, and an excellent bassist...but a talent wasted for all he doesn't do and never will in Metallica.

How do you know?? He may well contribute more to Metallica's music in the future? More than Jason ever did(or was allowed to do)? Jason got so much flak from the other guys in the band, because he was hired after a member died. IMO, the other guys(particularly James) didn't know how to handle the situation. He had no time to settle into his role in the band, and the others had no time to get to know him. This, in my opinion, is why the "Newkid" tag stuck, and why he was always seen as "the new guy". I do think, given time, it will be different for Rob.

scudzilla wrote: »

I am certainly not saying that

All I am saying is that I believe illegal downloading is wrong, don't know how that makes me holier than thou.
    How do you know?? He may well contribute more to Metallica's music in the future?

I don't know what will happen in the future but I do know that Rob has contributed to Metallica material, with reference to Death Magnetic, but I don't think (given a man of his talents) that we will see him contributing as much as he could if he were in another band, like Suicidal Tendencies or Infectious Grooves

but I don't think (given a man of his talents) that we will see him contributing as much as he could if he were in another band, like Suicidal Tendencies or Infectious Grooves

To be honest I don't think I'd want to hear any of that funky IG bass in Metallica.

It'd be pretty sweet to hear rob play some of those intro's live i.e. Battery on the flamenco style guitar.

To be honest I don't think I'd want to hear any of that funky IG bass in Metallica.

Sure, and I can respect and agree with you on that, but I think that's partially my point because in Metallica they will stick to a certain line and I feel that line is dictated by James Hetfield and Lars Ulrich.

I think it was Jason who once said in an interview that "nobody ****s with James music" in reference to a question when he was asked why he hadn't contributed more in terms of song writing credit to the band.

James can also say all he wants about moving past the whole Jason thing but no other member of the band has since formed their own solo project (guest spots, fine, but there's never a huge deal made out of it), I wonder how James would feel if Rob wanted to form a solo band, take them on the road, release an album and sell T Shirts for them. Would that be OK now after what happened when Jason tried to do it.

• Advertisement

Sure, and I can respect and agree with you on that, but I think that's partially my point because in Metallica they will stick to a certain line and I feel that line is dictated by James Hetfield and Lars Ulrich.

I think it was Jason who once said in an interview that "nobody ****s with James music" in reference to a question when he was asked why he hadn't contributed more in terms of song writing credit to the band.

James can also say all he wants about moving past the whole Jason thing but no other member of the band has since formed their own solo project (guest spots, fine, but there's never a huge deal made out of it), I wonder how James would feel if Rob wanted to form a solo band, take them on the road, release an album and sell T Shirts for them. Would that be OK now after what happened when Jason tried to do it.

I think it would be, cos I think James has grown up since that whole episode.

Advertisement