Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Beyond Magnetic is coming out on CD, announcement has just been made

http://www.metallica.com/news/20120103-news.asp
    part of the fun on those nights included playing unreleased tracks from the Death Magnetic sessions and after giving them to all Fan Club members for free, those songs have been available on iTunes and other at digital retailers for several weeks. We've been feeling all the love and positive vibes beyond our wildest expectations on the mp3 side, so we decided to go "old school" (!!) and also release those four songs on a CD.

There's been a lot of talk about the decision behind this decision and taking it now, but in my opinion, they probably wanted to release the Beyond Magnetic EP as a physical release anyway, but if they didn't release the official tracks through ITunes straight away (and thus capitalize on the market) people would have downloaded it for free. And if they'd announced a physical EP release for the end of January they would have had to do this in secret to have it lined up for the Anniversary shows, which meant that rumours would have got out on the Internet about a new EP, which would have spoiled the surprises lined up the Anniversary shows. Or they just decided to play the demo versions of the extra songs before the first night at the Fillmore.

Add to that the fact that if they'd sold physical copies at the SF show they would have ended up on EBay over Christmas for a few hundred pounds and that takes the fun out of Metallica and their music

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I think it would be, cos I think James has grown up since that whole episode.

Grown up? He was an adult man in his 30's when that happened. He was a laughing stock in Some Kind Of Monster. A very talented man but still a man in his late 30's who acted like a child when he did not get his own way.

He wiped out his hardman hunter everyman kind of regular guy image in one go back then and somehow I think he is pretty much the same guy he was in his late 30's, he may just be smart enough to ensure that behind the mask never gets shown again like it did in Some Kind Of Monster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Kess73 wrote: »
    Grown up? He was an adult man in his 30's when that happened. He was a laughing stock in Some Kind Of Monster. A very talented man but still a man in his late 30's who acted like a child when he did not get his own way.

He wiped out his hardman hunter everyman kind of regular guy image in one go back then and somehow I think he is pretty much the same guy he was in his late 30's, he may just be smart enough to ensure that behind the mask never gets shown again like it did in Some Kind Of Monster.

I meant that he has grown up since that debacle in the SKOM film. He's admitted that he was embarrassed by his behaviour in that film, and the way he treated Jason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I meant that he has grown up since that debacle in the SKOM film. He's admitted that he was embarrassed by his behaviour in that film, and the way he treated Jason.

I would buy that if he has been in his early 20's or late teens when he made a show of himself and treated another adult in the ****ty way that he did, but he was a grown man when he did it, and at 38 or 39 he was a bit long in the tooth to try and come along later and use the I have grown up since then line.

I think the guy is as talented as hell, but I also think he is a whiney little coward who has to get his own way otherwise he has tantrums. He needs his ego massaged otherwise the toys get chucked from the pram.

Some Kind Of Monster just makes all his attempts at looking like some kind of laid back man's man even funnier.

I won't ever stop loving what the man was involved with creating in the first 20 or so years of his Metallica career, but I sure as hell don't buy into the tripe that gets spouted by him and Lars (although I cannot put Hetfield as being even close to Lars' level when it comes to talking shyte)

He has admitted that he was embarrassed by his behaviour in that film and how it related to him. However, I've not seen a single quote in which he has directly apologised for the way in which they treated Jason, at the MTV Icons night (in 2003 for example) he actually had the nerve to make fun of it.

Highlights in this video include

0.36 - Lars calling Jason the sacrificial lamb
    1.30 - Jason asking for a year off, and then quitting the band
    1.51 - Lars asked Jason to reconsider, he wasn't interested as Metallica were unprepared to budge
    1.56 - Kirk gets emotional
    2.34 - "we grieved through Jason, he hazed him so hard"
    3.11 - Jason has chosen not to be married or have children (however, shortly after this he found someone, and has been with her since)
    3.20 - MTV mentions Echobrain, probably their first ever mention
    3.40 - James imitates how he mentally choked Jason

Nowhere on that does James apologise, even afterwards he reflects how cut up he is about it, and in 2008 when Jason joined Metallica at the HOF Inductions James still had a sour look on his face standing next to him.

2011 is the first time I've ever seen that opinion change, after almost 25 years of agression

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I wonder how James would feel if Rob wanted to form a solo band, take them on the road, release an album and sell T Shirts for them. Would that be OK now after what happened when Jason tried to do it.

I'd be shocked if NO side projects and associated tours etc. wasn't written in to a contract when he joined. I'm sure Q Prime made it clear they didn't want lightning to strike twice and ensure that all bases were covered.

Also,Rob's not stupid. There's no way he went in knowing the history of Metallica expecting to maybe one day do his own thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

i think he has a few years and a few million under his belt, wouldn't be surprised if he left soon enough.

How he sat through the lulu stuff is amazing to me knowing his back catalogue as i do.

Would be great "healing" for the band if jason rejoined....:pac:

i think he has a few years and a few million under his belt, wouldn't be surprised if he left soon enough.

How he sat through the lulu stuff is amazing to me knowing his back catalogue as i do.

Will never happen............both parties have moved on.

Ah sure i know, tbh even if rob goes they will have the pick of the world for an equally good bass player.

May be hard to match his charisma and presence though.

Love to have a poke around their mighty guitar collection ( and bass)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

lord lucan wrote: »
    I'd be shocked if NO side projects and associated tours etc. wasn't written in to a contract when he joined. I'm sure Q Prime made it clear they didn't want lightning to strike twice and ensure that all bases were covered.

Also,Rob's not stupid. There's no way he went in knowing the history of Metallica expecting to maybe one day do his own thing.

very true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,178 ✭✭✭✭briany

Met treated Ron McGovney pretty badly as well back in the day. Will we ever see Ron rejoin full time? Probably not.

The thing that I liked about Jason in the context of Metallica was that he was already a huge Met fan when he joined the band so this translated across as an extra zeal, an evangelicism for Metallica. He was always wearing the T-shirt, singing the backing vocals with frightening gusto, just giving it everything he had night after night. He really looked like he ate, drank, breathed and sleeped Metallica, their music, and music in general, in a way that the other members did not and in a way that Trujillo does not, even though Trujillo may be a better player and musician, Jason just summed up the energy of Metallica at their best so well and was probably right to leave when he did. The band's just never been the same without him.

briany wrote: »
    Met treated Ron McGovney pretty badly as well back in the day. Will we ever see Ron rejoin full time? Probably not.

I can't see that happening, although I'm sure it would be nice for Ron, he strikes me as the kind of person who abandoned that life along time ago. His Facebook posts have a massive sense of realism and you'd hope, for him, that Metallica gave him a cheque in December and said "no hard feelings" because it must be so hard for him to see those guys make millions over the years. Especially when to afford to buy a truck or something he had to sell his original Metallica bass.

After 30 years though he's learned to no longer hold a grudge.

Funny enough, Ron was still playing in 1986, they could have asked him to replace Cliff....they didn't because he was in his own band from what I have read about that....

Just another aside, Metallica are still the top selling artist (by album) of the Soundscan era, a CD sales chart in the US, which obviously doesn't take in Downloads. It registers this whole barcode system the Americans use. In any case it's a bit funny that the most recent release on this chart was out in, what, 2001?

Guns N' Roses are nowhere near the top, strange considering Use Your Illusion 1 & 2 sold so much on release

This chart thing began in May 1991.

Top Ten Selling Albums Of SoundScan Era (1991 - January 1, 2012):

01. METALLICA - "Metallica (15,735,000)
    02. SHANIA TWAIN - "Come On Over (15,513,000)
    03. ALANIS MORISSETTE - "Jagged Little Pill (14,714,000)
    04. BACKSTREET BOYS - "Millennium (12,168,000)
    05. BEATLES - "1"(11,985,000)
    06. Soundtrack - "Bodyguard (11,829,000)
    07. SANTANA - "Supernatural (11,772,000)
    08. CREED - "Human Clay (11,574,000)
    09. N' SYNC - "No Strings Attached (11,122,000)
    10. CELINE DION - "Falling Into You (10,790,000)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,178 ✭✭✭✭briany

I can't see that happening, although I'm sure it would be nice for Ron, he strikes me as the kind of person who abandoned that life along time ago. His Facebook posts have a massive sense of realism and you'd hope, for him, that Metallica gave him a cheque in December and said "no hard feelings" because it must be so hard for him to see those guys make millions over the years. Especially when to afford to buy a truck or something he had to sell his original Metallica bass.

After 30 years though he's learned to no longer hold a grudge.

Funny enough, Ron was still playing in 1986, they could have asked him to replace Cliff....they didn't because he was in his own band from what I have read about that....

My point about Ron was tongue in cheek, as I was making fun of how a lot of Metallica fans talk about how the previous guy was better and how the band's always selling out and blah blah blah. If you followed that train of thought to it's logical conclusion then Metallica would still be James, Lars, Hugh Tanner/Lloyd Grant and Ron McGovney which it's not and all the better for it. I still really like Jason and I think his time with the band was the peak of the band's musical output. It may not have had the flair or harmonic complexity of the Burton years but it was varied, and it was nuanced. I am a Load person it has to be said, always have been, having all the albums. That album just works for me. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Will never happen............both parties have moved on.

IF Rob ever left then i'd stake my house on Jason coming back in

scudzilla wrote: »

You'd be better of staking your house on them splitting up.

You'd be better of staking your house on them splitting up.

You must REALLY hate Jason Newsted;)

I made a post on Papa Wheelie's Facebook, saying they had to play Sonisphere or Download this year, and the official Facebook liked it...wonder if they're in negotiations to do a few festivals...would make sense...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

I made a post on Papa Wheelie's Facebook, saying they had to play Sonisphere or Download this year, and the official Facebook liked it...wonder if they're in negotiations to do a few festivals...would make sense...

They'll play download, and Jason will join Metallica for a couple of songs.
    That's if they play anything at all :D

No, actually, I don't. I've just moved on from the fact he's left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,130 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

My big problem with Rob joining Metallica as I have said before, is that it deprived the world of an insanely brilliant bass player. I had to buy a sub woofer just to hear him nowadays....Also, i was watching a clip recently, ( i think it was that 30yrs mash of interviews on youtube) and James cam accross as an awful c*nt when describing Jason (just after he joined). More or less said he'd do the job but he was a bit of a fanboy....

• Advertisement

My big problem with Rob joining Metallica as I have said before, is that it deprived the world of an insanely brilliant bass player. I had to buy a sub woofer just to hear him nowadays....Also, i was watching a clip recently, ( i think it was that 30yrs mash of interviews on youtube) and James cam accross as an awful c*nt when describing Jason (just after he joined). More or less said he'd do the job but he was a bit of a fanboy....

Jason more or less admitted that himself. He said in one of their video releases that he used to go along to Metallica gigs and stand in front of where Cliff was, and just stand looking like :eek:

scudzilla wrote: »

not rediculous , they are phobic about new people and peace does seem to be reigning between them.

Would be the easiest thing in the world bandwise and Q Prime would wet themselves at the prospect of a Jason reunion tour!!!!

I'd go myself for the first time in years to see that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

I really don't get the Jason love going on. Sure, he was in Metallica at their most successful period, but in terms of actualy bass palying skill, Rob wipes the floor with him (IMO). Perhaps it's due to James and Lars' songwriting process, but Jason's bass is just so boring, he literally follows the guitars and that's it. Maybe it's because he wasn't allowed to do anything else, but there's not one song from his period that I think has a memorable bass riff in it (my friend of misery, maybe).

I know Jason got a pretty raw deal, so maybe people's love for him is just sticking up for him (he does have a point at times, in SKOM he says something like "Come on, we're the biggest rock band in the world, why can't we just talk it out instead of going to therapy?"). But at the end of the day, he never seemed to get fully accepted by the band, whereas Rob does, so that's the end of it for me.

Perhaps it's due to James and Lars' songwriting process, but Jason's bass is just so boring, he literally follows the guitars and that's it. Maybe it's because he wasn't allowed to do anything else, but there's not one song from his period that I think has a memorable bass riff in it (my friend of misery, maybe).

I'm afraid there is no perhaps about it. Metallica credited the members of the band who wrote on the tracks, simple as, and Newsted was only credited 3 times in 14 years. Hetfield wrote all the bass parts and Newsted was just expected to play them, they were written to mirror the guitar parts. The only exception is the song that was written on bass and then transferred over to be written on guitar. Check out the original bass from Blackened. Go to 0.54

But at the end of the day, he never seemed to get fully accepted by the band, whereas Rob does, so that's the end of it for me.

Rob knew the band since 1993. He has openly spoken about the fact that he met James and Lars and Kirk and befriended them in 93 when Suicidal Tendencies supported Metallica. Later on, Rob worked with Jerry Cantrell on Cantrell's solo album Degradation Trip, Cantrell and Hetfield are very close friends and this would have been another feather in Rob's cap. Simply put, Rob was as much a member of the Metallica family (or Hetfield's inner circle) as anyone, and his appointment shocked few people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,130 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

simply put...jason was always a fan favourite....good guy, represented the fans well, awesome live.

Some of the stuff being posted in this thread should go on the Conspiracy Theories forum!!! :rolleyes:

Some of the stuff being posted in this thread should go on the Conspiracy Theories forum!!! :rolleyes:

Maybe they should, but just to clear up the stuff with Rob, it's no conspiracy. Rob has been quoted in the press as saying he first met and befriended Metallica in 1993 when Suicidal Tendencies supported Metallica. That's a fact. In fact, so impressed and befriended were they with Rob and Suicidal Tendencies on the Nowhere Else to Roam Tour that they invited them onto the **** Hits the Sheds tour as well.

In 2001 when Jerry Cantrell was looking for a bass player for his album he was recommended Robert (Ozzy's bassist) by Mike Bordin of Faith No More (who as Ozzy Osbourne's drummer at that stage). That's a fact. I asked Bordin that and he told me straight that's what happened.

Now, since Hetfield and Cantrell are very good friends, and that's an established fact....it's not outside imagination that these guys wouldn't take some time to talk about music, Cantrell mentions Robert is his bass player, and Hetfield remembers him from 93. Cantrell says he is happy with his bass player and recommends this guy. Hetfield thinks, yeah, I could go for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

I didn't know Hetfield and Cantrell were such good friends. I wish my mates were that cool!

I didn't know Hetfield and Cantrell were such good friends. I wish my mates were that cool!

They went through rehab together iirc.

• Advertisement

They went through rehab together iirc.

They might have done, but met years before that, when Alice In Chains were first invited to tour with Metallica

Eventually, due to Layne's increasing "ill health", AIC were forced to drop off the tour and replaced by Megadeth and other's later on but Metallica continued to remain friends. They were present when the band performed at the Unplugged sessions for MTV in 1996 (at one point Alice In Chains even try and cover Enter Sandman as a joke) and the words "friends don't let friends cut friend's hair" was a reference to Metallica, who had recently had their hair cut

Furthermore, during Garage Inc in 1998, Jerry Cantrell helped record a version of the song 'Tuesday's Gone' and even while the band recorded Death Magnetic they had a picture of Layne in the studio with them at all times to remind them, especially Hetfield, of what happens when someone cannot fight their demons.

Cantrell even showed up in the Fillmore to play with Metallica in December. No, they go back years, they're really good friends.

Advertisement