Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Metallica credited the members of the band who wrote on the tracks, simple as, and Newsted was only credited 3 times in 14 years. Hetfield wrote all the bass parts and Newsted was just expected to play them, they were written to mirror the guitar parts.

I have no experience in the music industry and have never picked up an instrument but I don't think that's the way music credits work. Because a musician is credited with writing a song, I don't think he wrote the individual parts for each person so I doubt Hetfield "wrote all bass parts". I'd say he wrote the music for the song (probably on the guitar) and the bass player just interprets the music for his instrument. Of course as Metallica was a dictatorship he could have done, but generally I don't think that's the way it works.

Look at Iron Maiden for example. Steve Harris writes a good chunk of their songs on his own but I doubt he goes to Dave Murray and Adrian Smith with their individual parts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I have no experience in the music industry and have never picked up an instrument but I don't think that's the way music credits work.

I didn't mean to imply that was the way music credits worked in general and I didn't say that, I was implying that it was well known in Metallica at that time that James Hetfield wrote the bass parts to mirror the guitar parts. He wrote the bass parts.

Most of the writing for the Black album, for example, started with the members writing individually musically (only Hetfield wrote the lyrics) so they would then submit these riffs to Ulrich and Hetfield who would listen to the idea's and work with what they felt were the best ones.

If you listen to some of the demo's on the Black album you'll notice that it's only Hetfield and Ulrich working with the demo version in most cases, Hammett and Newsted have been given the day off, mainly because the song only required them when the finished product was being recorded. Hammett did contribute to a lot of Metallica material prior to St Anger, but in many cases, these were just solo's.

I think I'm right in saying that if Jason Newsted felt, one way or another, that he had contributed to any song enough to deserve a writing credit and not been fairly credited for it he would have mentioned it (or taken the proper action) long before now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,130 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I didn't mean to imply that was the way music credits worked in general and I didn't say that, I was implying that it was well known in Metallica at that time that James Hetfield wrote the bass parts to mirror the guitar parts. He wrote the bass parts.

Most of the writing for the Black album, for example, started with the members writing individually musically (only Hetfield wrote the lyrics) so they would then submit these riffs to Ulrich and Hetfield who would listen to the idea's and work with what they felt were the best ones.

If you listen to some of the demo's on the Black album you'll notice that it's only Hetfield and Ulrich working with the demo version in most cases, Hammett and Newsted have been given the day off, mainly because the song only required them when the finished product was being recorded. Hammett did contribute to a lot of Metallica material prior to St Anger, but in many cases, these were just solo's.

I think I'm right in saying that if Jason Newsted felt, one way or another, that he had contributed to any song enough to deserve a writing credit and not been fairly credited for it he would have mentioned it (or taken the proper action) long before now.
    Something that surprised me was the demo for Enter Sandman. Hetfields demo solo was an exact template for kirks solo. The only difference was it was roughly played, unproduced and lacked kirks flair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,179 ✭✭✭✭briany

I have no experience in the music industry and have never picked up an instrument but I don't think that's the way music credits work. Because a musician is credited with writing a song, I don't think he wrote the individual parts for each person so I doubt Hetfield "wrote all bass parts". I'd say he wrote the music for the song (probably on the guitar) and the bass player just interprets the music for his instrument. Of course as Metallica was a dictatorship he could have done, but generally I don't think that's the way it works.

Look at Iron Maiden for example. Steve Harris writes a good chunk of their songs on his own but I doubt he goes to Dave Murray and Adrian Smith with their individual parts.

Lead sheets (which typically show a song's melody, chord progressions, and lyrics) seem to be central to a song's compositional aspect, particularly from a legal standpoint and are often referred in the case of plagarism accusations or wranglings over composer credits so chances are that if you're not directly involved in creating those aspects of the song, you do not get a credit, therefore it is understandable that Newsted is not credited on most Met songs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

Hammett did contribute to a lot of Metallica material prior to St Anger, but in many cases, these were just solo's.

I don't think that is the case....if you see Hammett name on a song it means he wrote a riff for it, not a solo. In general as regards writing credits a solo does not usually entitle you to a writing credit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

jpm4 wrote: »
    if you see Hammett name on a song it means he wrote a riff for it, not a solo.
    What's the difference between a solo and a riff?

Malice wrote: »

The riff is the cake and the solo is the icing.

A riff is a short phrase which is often repeated several times throughout a song as a sort of motif (think of the main heavy Enter Sandman riff which also serves as the basis for the songs intro). A solo, or break, is a usually much longer and sometimes virtuosic musical passage which, in the case of Rock music, adds excitement to a song's arrangement, can be improvised, semi-improvised or preconceived. Solos are usually thought of more as an ornamentation to the basic song (icing) and usually don't garner a composing credit unless, maybe, the solo itself establishes a melody that becomes inextricably linked to the song.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Buford Tannen

Malice wrote: »

St Anger?

Well look at The Unforgiven, for example, would you not think that the solo in that is the most memorable and pivotal part?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

Well look at The Unforgiven, for example, would you not think that the solo in that is the most memorable and pivotal part?

I think it's Hammett's finest hour personally - that's just my opinion though, and there is much else to admire in the song. I do think you could have pretty much the same song with a different solo.

Anyways my opinion doesn't really matter..... solo's generally don't merit a writing credit, rightly or wrongly. It can depend on the band though.

• Advertisement

It is but I don't know if it's what qualifies Hammett for a composer credit on the song. It follows the chord progression, obviously there's no lyrics there, so the only other thing is does it establish any kind of memorable melody/phrase which characterizes the piece or does it more derive from what went on before in the song? I personally don't think that it quite qualifies on that basis but it is a melodic and dramatic solo for sure. Kirk is credited on the song but I suspect it's because of work on the chord progression or helping devise the way the song was structured or something of that nature rather than the solo. Also, I love the solo (the main solo, not the outro that James plays) from The Outlaw Torn and think that it's the pivotal moment in that song but Kirk isn't giving a composing credit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/news/metallica-announce-3d-movie-project/

Metallica have officially confirmed they’re working on a 3D film.
    The band have just released the following statement via their website:
    ‘As you know, we generally make it a policy not to comment on gossip or rumors, but we also pride ourselves on being first with ‘Tallica news. So, with that said, the more astute of you may have noticed a couple of mentions in trade publications that a Metallica 3D movie is in the works. We’re here to tell you that, yes, there is indeed a 3D project in the very early stages of production!

‘We wish we could tell you more right now, but we don’t have all the finer points nailed down just yet. What we can tell you is that we are planning on being in a theatre near you sometime in 2013 and as you hear us say ever so often, this will be the space for all the details as we finalize them.’

Metallica have also been talking to Rolling Stone about how things are progressing with the next album.

“We’re about seven, eight songs into it,” says Lars Ulrich. “We do it in rounds. We come up with something, we leave it, go to the next thing, come up with something basic, leave it and circle back around.”

As for the style of the album, this is how guitarist Kirk Hammett feels about it:

“If Death Magnetic was a logical successor to (1988’s) …And Justice For All, the next album will be a heavier Black Album. The stuff we’re coming up with is more groove-oriented, a heavier version of what we were doing in the early 90s.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Show in Paris on May 12th announced!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

I'm there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

feylya wrote: »
    I'm there.

Already?? no flies on you is there

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

scudzilla wrote: »
    Already?? no flies on you is there

I wanna get front row! :pac:

I hope we get a decent venue this time round?

Wouldn't mind the RDS again....? Although, I did hear a rumour about them possibly getting one of the Phoenix Park gigs this summer....?

No conformation of an Irish date yet, that's if they decide they can legally do it, given so many Irish people travel to the UK for Download

I wouldn't be surprised to learn MCD or Aiken get kick backs from UK festivals in order to encourage certain big name acts not to play Ireland so that Irish fans will travel across to Download (and UK/Scottish fans avoid Ireland and go to Download). I mean, any Irish dates from Metallica or Black Sabbath will take away from Download in some sense, so in this economic climate another Irish date from big name festival headliners will damage profits.

You mark my words, that story will come out....

No conformation of an Irish date yet, that's if they decide they can legally do it, given so many Irish people travel to the UK for Download

I wouldn't be surprised to learn MCD or Aiken get kick backs from UK festivals in order to encourage certain big name acts not to play Ireland so that Irish fans will travel across to Download (and UK/Scottish fans avoid Ireland and go to Download). I mean, any Irish dates from Metallica or Black Sabbath will take away from Download in some sense, so in this economic climate another Irish date from big name festival headliners will damage profits.

You mark my words, that story will come out....

Didnt Cliff Burnstein say in a recent article(can't remember where?), that they were bringing forward their European dates to this summer because of the economic climate....?? I do think we'll get an Irish date - like the Download Festival in '06.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,836 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Wouldn't mind the RDS again....?

Maybe the Aviva mite get it.
    Phoenix Park is the most likly venue.

Bets for Metallica Venue in Ireland 2012 lol

2/1 Phoenix Park
    3/1 RDS
    4/1 Aviva Stadium
    5/1 Marlay Park
    6/1 The O2
    7/1 Fairyhouse Racecourse
    9/1 Punchestown Racecourse
    11/1 Malahide Castle
    15/1 Croke Park
    17/1 Thomond Park or Gaelic Grounds Limerick
    19/1 The Marquee Cork
    21/1 Pearse Stadium Galway
    50/1 Waterford Music Fest
    55/1 Nowlan Park Kilkenny
    80/1 Semple Stadium Thurles
    500/1 Moneygall Co Offaly

Didnt Cliff Burnstein say in a recent article(can't remember where?), that they were bringing forward their European dates to this summer because of the economic climate....?? I do think we'll get an Irish date - like the Download Festival in '06.

Yes, this was an article in the Wall Street Journal, in which he was speaking about the fact he managed artists like Metallica and the Red Hot Chilli Peppers who are touring Europe now so that they avoid touring in 2013 (as originally planned) when the Euro starts to suffer and the exchange rate hits the cost of touring productions harder.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Maybe the Aviva mite get it.
    Phoenix Park is the most likly venue.

Bets for Metallica Venue in Ireland 2012 lol

2/1 Phoenix Park
    3/1 RDS
    4/1 Aviva Stadium
    5/1 Marlay Park
    6/1 The O2
    7/1 Fairyhouse Racecourse
    9/1 Punchestown Racecourse
    11/1 Malahide Castle
    15/1 Croke Park
    17/1 Thomond Park or Gaelic Grounds Limerick
    19/1 The Marquee Cork
    21/1 Pearse Stadium Galway
    50/1 Waterford Music Fest
    55/1 Nowlan Park Kilkenny
    80/1 Semple Stadium Thurles
    500/1 Moneygall Co Offaly

LOL with Barack O'Bama as support!!!??

EDIT: Would they fill the Aviva? Doubt it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

Announced a gig in Italy today...would be savage if they announced an Irish date. Can't afford to travel abroad and take time off work etc. This would absolutely make my summer!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,836 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

LOL with Barack O'Bama as support!!!??

EDIT: Would they fill the Aviva? Doubt it?

With a strong support they mite fill it ie the big 4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Metalli-trivia time what was a young budding astronomer named James purported t have replied with when requested to leave before the lock

pls leave me he-eeere .. Plan-e-tarium.

LH Pathe wrote: »
    Metalli-trivia time what was a young budding astronomer named James purported t have replied with when requested to leave before the lock

pls leave me he-eeere .. Plan-e-tarium.

double-facepalm.jpg

Dunno?

double-facepalm.jpg

That wasn't even worth a reply ffs! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I wish people would give up on a Big 4 show this summer, it ain't gonna happen

Advertisement