Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I want to agree with you, but I wonder, do newer Metallica fans (in both age and musical taste) maybe not associate Cliff with the band as much as veteran fans do. I mean, they made no videos with Cliff, despite his incredible musical input and vision. And, as fate would have it, there also exist's not a single professionally shot Metallica concert featuring Cliff in the line up. So asides from a few scattered interviews...in which Cliff hardly says anything next to a spotty Hetfield....there really isn't anything of Cliff around.

And since he is dead, may he RIP, he isn't performing in another group and so new fans haven't seen him perform at all since 1986 - unlike Big Jim Martin ex-FNM or Slash ex-GNR for example

And, of course, it's not absurd to assume that a casual Metallica fan who doesn't check the Internet on the subject (and there are plenty of them around the globe) might simply assume Metallica's old bassist was Jason Newsted

I agree with you to an extent. While Jason features in a lot of videos,particularly from TBA period and is inextricably linked with the band,any new fans reading up on the band are more likely to encounter more references to Cliff than to Jason. His influence on the other 3 members still burns bright,they still talk about him now and his musical and personal influence on them. Jason on the other hand gets about as much attention as Ron McGovney!

Funnily enough,Trujillo has only 1 album under his belt but officially has more writing credits than Jason who played on 4 studio albums.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

lord lucan wrote: »
    Funnily enough,Trujillo has only 1 album under his belt but officially has more writing credits than Jason who played on 4 studio albums.

True. I remember the interview Hetfield gave where he said that Trujillo had already contributed more in an album then Newsted did in several years...and I kept thinking, but surely that's because you didn't let him?

I also remember hearing that Hetfield asked for Newsted to be fired from the band about 6 months after he joined. He didn't like the fact that Newsted wanted to be so involved in the promotional and decision making so he told Ulrich he had to go. Ulrich and the label, to their credit, stood up for Newsted and said "no, you made your decision, he stays"

Although I'm not sure how 100% accurate that is, but something similar did happen with Hetfield and Newsted...and come to think about it, I remember reading Jason got married around 1990 and then got divorced in a couple of months...it having something to do with his life on the road....

In fairness, Newsted contributed almost as much to Sepultura as he did to Metallica lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

I really liked Jason as a bassist. As lord lucan and nyarlothothep have said, he put a lot of feeling into his playing and he was great on stage (backing vocals were great).

I'm not a fan of Trujillo really. Just don't think he fits in or something... In the Rock Hall of Fame video where they're both on stage I can't help but think of how Jason looks like he belongs up there much more than Trujillo.

Edit: He's also put more time into the band than any other bassist so I think there'll always be a special place for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

True. I remember the interview Hetfield gave where he said that Trujillo had already contributed more in an album then Newsted did in several years...and I kept thinking, but surely that's because you didn't let him?

I also remember hearing that Hetfield asked for Newsted to be fired from the band about 6 months after he joined. He didn't like the fact that Newsted wanted to be so involved in the promotional and decision making so he told Ulrich he had to go. Ulrich and the label, to their credit, stood up for Newsted and said "no, you made your decision, he stays"

Although I'm not sure how 100% accurate that is, but something similar did happen with Hetfield and Newsted...and come to think about it, I remember reading Jason got married around 1990 and then got divorced in a couple of months...it having something to do with his life on the road....

In fairness, Newsted contributed almost as much to Sepultura as he did to Metallica lol

It's all a bit of a flawed discussion again though, it's not comparing like for like, it's fine to discuss the Bassists on their technical ability and feel, but not really their impact on Metallica - as there are completely different circumstances surrounding their times in the band - of course Cliff will be remembered with having had a huge influence on the band and how they developed, he was involved in them breaking initially, and who knows what may have happened had that tragic accident not happened.......

But to compare Jason to Cliff in the realms of Metallica just is neither fair nor relevant as he was never really a part of the band in that way, from the start he seemed to be treated as a session player brought in to do a job and not have much input......with all that's been said since do you really think that his ideas were going to be taken into account when recording with the animosity the lads seemed to hold towards him for no reason.......he was a member of Metallica for a significant period of time and played on the albums that took Metallica as an entity to a completely different entity - but any creativity wasn't going to be used was it ????
    As for the idea that Cliff wasn't in video's or pro shot concerts - lets be honest for a band like Metallica videos were of little importance at the beginning, it wasn't a time that bands in that genre were making videos - so it's no surprise, things changed around the time of Justice and the band embraced it, so of course Jason is in a lot of videos and that may indeed give a more vivid rememberance of him over Cliff, and as more recent developments have happend there's more and more video and DVD's available, and in peoples conciousness Rob will be seen more now than either Jason or Cliff.......it's just natural.........
    But Rob has been welcomed into the band more readily than Jason and the band seems to be allowing him to put his ideas in to the mix and actaully listen to them......

Sometimes people don't get a fair ride with bands and I honestly don't think Jason got that.......so without knowing that he may have tried to add to the band you can't really judge his contribution.....that's my two cents anyway :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

Dr.Poca wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of Trujillo really. Just don't think he fits in or something... In the Rock Hall of Fame video where they're both on stage I can't help but think of how Jason looks like he belongs up there much more than Trujillo.

just lookin at this did metallica not catch wind of when 'Jasonic' dissed em having joined a 'real band' a few years ago, albeit a post-1992 Voivod?

i reckon he's more suited too. Trujillo don't fit - slap-bass is what he does best with the tone turned up he is restricted here. and in most metal groups where bass just provides depth

Star Bingo wrote: »
    Trujillo don't fit - slap-bass is what he does best with the tone turned up he is restricted here. and in most metal groups where bass just provides depth

I felt with Ozzy Osbourne and Suicidal Tendencies he was more at home to what he does best

Also, I made the connection the minute Trujillo joined Metallica that he had played for Jerry Cantrell before, in the latter's video for 'Anger Rising'

It's disappointing to think, but if Hetfield was recommended by Cantrell, he probably just picked Trujillo based on that as opposed to anything else....we all know about Hetfield's unquestionable admiration and loyalty to Alice In Chains

I felt with Ozzy Osbourne and Suicidal Tendencies he was more at home to what he does best

yep.. n of course here - same deal i guess

of course we know why metallikur brought him in, his binding spirit when they're in complete disarray. someone to lean on! aww.. good thing he's built like a tree trunk - i've seen Some Kind of Monster u know! very revealing. very amusing

however it backfired somewhat.. his womanizing grates on em. when he turns up with a different teenage girl prior to a show, there ain't half some sour faces

edit: to dispel any controversy, trujillo is of course married w/ kids! shocking :lol:

Am I Evil? wrote: »
    This interview with Mustaine and kerry king makes for some good reading :D

Revolver - Full interview

Would have loved to hear what Dave,Kirk,Lars and James spoke about :pac:

"METALLICA, SLAYER, MEGADETH and ANTHRAX — the so-called "Big Four" of 1980s thrash metal — played together for the first time in history this past Wednesday night (June 16) in front of 81,000 fans at the Sonisphere festival at Bemowo Airport in Warsaw, Poland.

A video interview with METALLICA bassist Robert Trujillo conducted by NME TV prior to the band taking the stage in Warsaw can be viewed below.

"[I asked the other guys] When's the last time METALLICA shared the stage with SLAYER, MEGADETH and ANTHRAX?' Robert said. "And they were, like, we've actually never played the same gig together. And, obviously, [METALLICA] has done shows with each of these bands separately on different occasions.

"Time went on, and it was brought up again, I guess, around the completion of [METALLICA's 2008 album] 'Death Magnetic'. And then James [Hetfield, METALLICA guitarist/vocalist] kind of took the torch and ran with it and started planting the seed with some of the people from management and Lars [Ulrich, METALLICA drummer]...

"Once Lars gets his head wrapped around it, then the wheels start moving.

"All the bands were well into it, the timing seemed right, everyone's got new releases, and the momentum is strong... strong, actually, for metal in general.

"This is the right time. Who knows?! Maybe a year or two from now, it wouldn't mean as much. Maybe it wouldn't have meant as much a couple of years back.

"Last night [Tuesday, June 15], we had dinner with the other three bands [in Warsaw, Poland], and it was great. Only bandmembers. It was kind of a setup to where we were in a smaller environment, it was a smaller restaurant. The tables were even smaller — maybe four per table. [Laughs] So we really had to kind of unite and bond.

"I hadn't seen Tom [Araya, SLAYER bassist/vocalist] in, it seems like, eight years. Dave Lombardo [SLAYER drummer] I've seen recently, Kerry [King, SLAYER guitarist] I've seen. [Dave] Mustaine [MEGADETH frontman and former METALLICA guitarist], I hadn't seen him in, it feels like, 12 years. Maybe it was 10 years. But I know more than anything, for Lars and James, to reconnect with Dave Mustaine was a really big deal — it was important to them.

"Once you get into it, there's just no shortage of conversation. The difficult part is kind of making your way to the next guy. There's always something great to talk about."

Several more "Big Four" shows will take place across Europe, with a June 22 concert in Bulgaria to be beamed to U.S. movie theatres. There are still no plans for a U.S. run."

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=141771

however it backfired somewhat.. his womanizing grates on em. when he turns up with a different teenage girl prior to a show, there ain't half some sour faces

This is Rob turning up with these teenage girls?

Wow, you think you know someone lol :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

....we all know about Hetfield's unquestionable admiration and loyalty to Alice In Chains

Well it might not be so unquestionable.

Beekay wrote: »
    Well it might not be so unquestionable.

He did this because he was a mate and there was no malice involved

Despite Jason's short hair, this is taken from around 1994 when they dropped off the tour...although James was making light of this, he knew himself it was because Layne had a massive addiction to heroin and serious issues

He even named the album Death Magnetic as such because of the inspiration he was given from a picture of Layne
    Metallica's new album Death Magnetic was written as a tribute to tragic Alice In Chains rocker Layne Staley. Frontman James Hetfield admits the central message of the record is that people should come to terms with the inevitable prospect of death.

And he reveals that the main inspiration behind many of the lyrics was "Man in the Box" singer Staley, who died of a drug overdose in 2002.

Hetfield tells Guitar World magazine, "The theme of our new album is that we're all gonna die sometime. Just like the poles of a magnet, some people are drawn to death and others are repulsed by it, but we all have to deal with it. Lyrically, it started as a bit of a tribute to Layne Staley and all those who've martired themselves in the name of rock and roll. But it grew and evolved from there."

Oh, and all Metallica friends looking for something rare or unique, I'm currently selling an item on EBay that even Lars Ulrich himself would agree is pretty hard to find...have a look if you like...

<snip>

although James was making light of this, he knew himself it was because Layne had a massive addiction to heroin and serious issues

i don't blame him for taking the p*ss then. smackheads are a pain in the arse its like someone on ecstasy every day undermining honest personalities, smack is like that constantly - maybe hetfield's just givin him a taste of his own medicine i'd a pal who needed gear to write songs, i don't listen to gear heads' material much rather the musings of sombre sobriety not some twat longing for a herione in one form else the other.. never gave a hoot for grunge also-rans alice in chains either. seem to be viewed as legends now or somethin

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Motley Crue,

You were infracted previously for advertising stuff for sale. Please let this be the last time you do it.

.. never gave a hoot for grunge also-rans alice in chains either. seem to be viewed as legends now or somethin

Okay, I have to be honest, I don't agree with your opinion on Alice In Chains

But I didn't really want to open a discussion about drug use among musicians, thanks, I don't think this is the place

never gave a hoot for grunge also-rans alice in chains either. seem to be viewed as legends now or somethin
    Apologies for going off-topic but Alice in Chains are far from also-rans.

were a junkie-fronted rock group, all i know. no time for thespians fuelled by smack. you name em/ i hate em. the list is long

were a junkie-fronted rock group, all i know. no time for thespians fuelled by smack. you name em/ i hate em. the list is long
    Hate away, that doesn't mean they are dismissable as also-rans. If all you know of them is that their lead singer was a drug addict then I highly recommend checking out their album Dirt.

To use a Metallica-based analogy, just because Lars Ulrich comes across as a twat doesn't mean that albums like Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets should be dismissed. Appreciate and judge the music, not the musician.

You're words are just misguided, I'm sorry, you have a right to your opinion but in this case you are choosing a dangerously unpopular position.

I said before, this is a Metallica superthread, and it's got nothing to do with an argument for or against drug use among musicians...Alice In Chain's drug use, or that of their lead vocalist, may have had them kicked off a Metallica tour in 1994 but that is as far as it goes. I was just making the point that Hetfield's "slagging" of Alice In Chains was nothing more then in good fun and not vindictive because of the relationship Hetfield shares with Alice In Chains.

And I stand by believing that Trujilo's former work with Jerry Cantrell was a feather in the cap for Hetfield's personal decision that this was the guy they wanted. Trujilo may have worked with others, but the fact he worked with Cantrell, really moved in his favour

He had to be better then Bob Rock lol

• Advertisement

Metallica plan their Raiders comeback gig, with Bob Rock on bass

Notice how Rock suggests they use Robert Trujilo to play bass during this gig, but they're reluctant to do so, because he hasn't been "officially" selected but they all know he's going to be the new bassist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭ticketsthere

I was hoping for an O2 show this time around but if they come to Marlay Park, Tickets There will be...ehm, there :)

They were incredible at the Big Four show in Poland, only Irish review I've seen so far posted now,

http://ticketsthere.com/2010/06/19/metallica-slayer-megadeth-anthrax-–-warsaw-poland-sonisphere-june-14th-–-live-review/

The idea that Megadeth won't support them is now out the window but I very much doubt they'll do it in September if Metallica come over, maybe next year on this so called 'massive' tour Met are planning \,,/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I can see Mustaine joinin them on stage for Mechanix, Mustaine on vocals :D

All of the big 4 on stage for 'Am I Evil?'.:)

Think maybe Mustaine would have issues with going to join them as part of a huge group

scudzilla wrote: »
    Think maybe Mustaine would have issues with going to join them as part of a huge group

I'm hoping he stays on stage after as the song after the cover slot is always a KEA song so it's still possible.

lord lucan wrote: »
    I'm hoping he stays on stage after as the song after the cover slot is always a KEA song so it's still possible.

He sure does deserve it

That was it! Lol @ DVD of it on the way too.

"What an amazing show, and what an amazing cover song! Band guys from each of the Big Four came out to perform Am I Evil? together. James, Dave, and Joey all took turns singing, with there were guotarists, bassists, and snare drum players all on stage. Pretty amazing event. An guess what, it's all being filmed for a Big Four DVD!! Full setlist is up, pics to come...."

I stopped reading that Met on Tour some time ago as the guy who writes it must be retarded, Every gig review is the same, here goes, my go at it

Opened with Creeping, now onto Bellz, Horsemen, Wolf. Crowd is awesome tonight

I'd love to read more actual tour stuff, like what they do on days off, both band and crew, all that kinda stuff

• Advertisement

scudzilla wrote: »
    I stopped reading that Met on Tour some time ago as the guy who writes it must be retarded, Every gig review is the same, here goes, my go at it

Opened with Creeping, now onto Bellz, Horsemen, Wolf. Crowd is awesome tonight

I'd love to read more actual tour stuff, like what they do on days off, both band and crew, all that kinda stuff

Apart from tonight i never bother reading it,just check the setlist the next day. In fairness,it's probably hard for him to get excited about hearing Enter Sandman for the 500th time!:pac:

Advertisement