Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

breffni666 wrote: »
    Can we not have an individual threads for Metallica, or other bands.
    :confused: I don't understand. This is an individual thread for Metallica discussion which is what you've just asked for. There are other threads for other bands e.g. I know there are ones for Iron Maiden, Pearl Jam and Guns N' Roses somewhere and there have been ones for Fear Factory and Nightwish in the past but they don't get anywhere near the same amount of traffic.
    breffni666 wrote:
    Id like to start a discussion on individual albums etc but will get lost on this SUPERTHREAD! Ideas please.
    Well the first thing I'd do is approach the forum moderator with a more detailed explanation of what you're looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭breffni666

Malice wrote: »
    :confused: I don't understand. This is an individual thread for Metallica discussion which is what you've just asked for. There are other threads for other bands e.g. I know there are ones for Iron Maiden, Pearl Jam and Guns N' Roses somewhere and there have been ones for Fear Factory and Nightwish in the past but they don't get anywhere near the same amount of traffic.

Well the first thing I'd do is approach the forum moderator with a more detailed explanation of what you're looking for.

What I mean is lets say a discussion on the album Master of Puppets. There are no individual threads on this in the Metallica superthread, it would get lost amid all of the other discussions.;

examples of what I mean;
    Puppets thread
    Lars thread
    Black album thread
    Hammet thread
    Live metallica thread etc etc etc

again as you say there is a Maiden thread but not broken down into individual albums or members for discussion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Well the whole point of the superthread is that the parent forum doesn't end up clogged with threads all centered around basically the same subject. This thread doesn't move that fast. Looking at the previous page, I see a spread of dates from Feb 2nd through to yesterday, Feb 18th. That's over two weeks - plenty of time to debate various topics I reckon.

The creation of the superthread was something that was discussed probably before you'd joined Boards. The forum, through nobodies fault, did tend to have quite a few Metallica threads on the front page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I think he means a seperate Metallica sub-forum.

You can always request it, but don't hold yer breath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kLS3ufWujM

I actually like this lol :o:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Just talking to a friend and was told of a date of June 18th for Metallica in Marlay Park.

Just talking to a friend and was told of a date of June 18th for Metallica in Marlay Park.

Complete and utter bollox

scudzilla wrote: »
    Complete and utter bollox

That's what I thought lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Seems a bit too close to their festival in America which is on the 23rd? and a bit too much of a gap between their last gig on the 10th?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

was this posted? seems late last year danzig joined em for that thing they do. where egos dare!!

at the end metallica were eager to do london dungeon, but glens vest split! if he can kick on with this kind of energy then more power to im.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

This was part of the 30th Anniversary shows, they had quite a lot of things going on there with a few guests like Rob Halford, Kid Rock, Dave Mustaine, Jerry Cantrell, Jason Newsted, Danzig, Anti Nowhere League, Diamond Head etc

But I agree, worth checking out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,130 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

LH Pathe wrote: »
    was this posted? seems late last year danzig joined em for that thing they do. where egos dare!!

at the end metallica were eager to do london dungeon, but glens vest split! if he can kick on with this kind of energy then more power to im.
    Was it not die die, green hell and last caress? I don't recall where eagles dare, and I'm not sure what you mean by 'if he can kick on' as danzig has never stopped

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Interesting sounding concept regarding the stage show for 2 shows in Mexico in August. Could well be the shows that'll be shot for the 3D thing they're doing.
    When we last visited Mexico City in June of 2009, those three sold out nights with over 150,000 of our craziest friends at Foro Sol Stadium were some of the most memorable, over the top, insane shows we have ever played. Now we'll be back with a brand new show that features your favorite iconic elements spanning our entire 30 year touring career all on a massive stage that is twice the size of the World Magnetic set up... we think it's something that needs to be seen to believed!!!

http://www.metallica.com/news/20120315-420454.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭gerocks

lord lucan wrote: »
    Interesting sounding concept regarding the stage show for 2 shows in Mexico in August. Could well be the shows that'll be shot for the 3D thing they're doing.
    When we last visited Mexico City in June of 2009, those three sold out nights with over 150,000 of our craziest friends at Foro Sol Stadium were some of the most memorable, over the top, insane shows we have ever played. Now we'll be back with a brand new show that features your favorite iconic elements spanning our entire 30 year touring career all on a massive stage that is twice the size of the World Magnetic set up... we think it's something that needs to be seen to believed!!!

http://www.metallica.com/news/20120315-420454.asp

So coffins floating above the load stage with a snake pit in front, crosses beside one of the 27 drum kits, while lady justice looks on????

gerocks wrote: »
    So coffins floating above the load stage with a snake pit in front, crosses beside one of the 27 drum kits, while lady justice looks on????

That's pretty much what i was imagining!:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭Degag

gerocks wrote: »
    What about Saint Anger?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭xtradel

Degag wrote: »
    What about Saint Anger?

Everybody in attendance will be given an empty biscuit tin to recreate the sound of Lars snare drum :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

xtradel wrote: »
    Everybody in attendance will be given an empty biscuit tin to recreate the sound of Lars snare drum :pac:

What kind of biscuit tin?

Degag wrote: »
    What about Saint Anger?

They'll recreate their HQ on stage with Phil Towle in attendance wearing one of his legendary jumpers whilst Lars wanders around shouting FOK!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭xtradel

What kind of biscuit tin?

USA of course!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,179 ✭✭✭✭briany

I think the new stage will be interesting to say the least but, for me, it's cool that Metallica like to acknowledge their past but I don't like them to hark back to it too much. To me, they are a band that still has something to say, just not necessarily in the way the MOP loving section of their fan base may wish them to. Death Magnetic was a great album, it had a lot of elements of their old school sound but I felt that it was the pressure they felt from that section of their fans, the majority of Metallica fans, that really made that album happen.

I've always thought that if Jason hadn't left, if they avoided that Napster debacle, the whole sh*tstorm around 2001/2002, they would have faced a softer landing in their image as well artistically and therefore been more free to pursue the evolution they'd begun in the late '90s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

This big stage thing all sounds a bit Spinal tap to me.

Bigger stage = Better show?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Riddle101

This big stage thing all sounds a bit Spinal tap to me.

Bigger stage = Better show?

Yeah I don't get that either. Having a bigger stage seems pointless. It's not like they're going to be running around the stage all the show. They're mainly just going to be around the centre part, and maybe occassionally move to the sides. But a big stage seems a little unnessary to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 D_Man_22

Lou Reed... Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy????:mad:

D_Man_22 wrote: »
    Lou Reed... Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy????:mad:

I think you'll find that most of the Metallica Fans on this forum love Lulu, took a bit of gettin used to but now they swear by it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 D_Man_22

I think you'll find that most of the Metallica Fans on this forum love Lulu, took a bit of gettin used to but now they swear by it

*shudder
    (like sideshow Bob walking on the rakes)

I didn't even buy it. Unlistenable, pompous crap imo.

D_Man_22 wrote: »
    *shudder
    (like sideshow Bob walking on the rakes)
    I didn't even buy it. Unlistenable, pompous crap imo.

Yeah, I was takin the piss ;)

Not bought it, not even heard it apart from 'The View', my life is so much better without it, it didnt even exist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 jimmy_presley

briany wrote: »
    I think the new stage will be interesting to say the least but, for me, it's cool that Metallica like to acknowledge their past but I don't like them to hark back to it too much. To me, they are a band that still has something to say, just not necessarily in the way the MOP loving section of their fan base may wish them to. Death Magnetic was a great album, it had a lot of elements of their old school sound but I felt that it was the pressure they felt from that section of their fans, the majority of Metallica fans, that really made that album happen.

I've always thought that if Jason hadn't left, if they avoided that Napster debacle, the whole sh*tstorm around 2001/2002, they would have faced a softer landing in their image as well artistically and therefore been more free to pursue the evolution they'd begun in the late '90s.

Evolution in the late 90's??

Im a metallica fan and have been for years so it pains me to say it but once their 'not good enough for the black album' riffs were re-hashed and used up (Load & Reload) their tank was completely empty.

After watching Some kind of Monster i was disgusted that i paid good money for such a slopy attempt at an album that was St.Anger. Death Magnetic was a waste of space. If ANY other band had brought that out it wouldnt even have registered in the metal world. As for the Lou Reed circus its all turned to s**t, its sad to say they are totally out of touch and away with the fairies and i wont buy another album of theirs again.

Advertisement