Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Evolution in the late 90's??

Im a metallica fan and have been for years so it pains me to say it but once their 'not good enough for the black album' riffs were re-hashed and used up (Load & Reload) their tank was completely empty.

After watching Some kind of Monster i was disgusted that i paid good money for such a slopy attempt at an album that was St.Anger. Death Magnetic was a waste of space. If ANY other band had brought that out it wouldnt even have registered in the metal world. As for the Lou Reed circus its all turned to s**t, its sad to say they are totally out of touch and away with the fairies and i wont buy another album of theirs again.

That's a bit harsh. Ok, it wasn't brilliant, but by no means was it a waste of space!? "Chinese Democracy" on the other hand...........:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

Death Magnetic was a brilliant album in my opinion. The only faults I have with it were that drums (particularly the snare) sounded like they could have done with a bit more mastering or just a better snare and kirk needs a new guitar sound. Other than that the riffs were great, the solos were good and the songs were nice and long. Great album altogether. Also the riff in "Rebel of Babylon" is awesome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,130 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

i'm sick of James Hetfield....

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

i'm sick of James Hetfield....

Jason, is that you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

scudzilla wrote: »
    Yeah, I was takin the piss ;)

Not bought it, not even heard it apart from 'The View', my life is so much better without it, it didnt even exist
    I'm glad I spotted this post. I was worried I was completely out of touch. Either that or scudzilla had lost it :).

• Advertisement

Fago! wrote: »
    Death Magnetic was a brilliant album in my opinion. The only faults I have with it were that drums (particularly the snare) sounded like they could have done with a bit more mastering or just a better snare and kirk needs a new guitar sound. Other than that the riffs were great, the solos were good and the songs were nice and long. Great album altogether. Also the riff in "Rebel of Babylon" is awesome.

Rebel Of Babylon was on the follow up ep...."Beyond Magnetic"??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,179 ✭✭✭✭briany

Evolution in the late 90's??

Im a metallica fan and have been for years so it pains me to say it but once their 'not good enough for the black album' riffs were re-hashed and used up (Load & Reload) their tank was completely empty.

After watching Some kind of Monster i was disgusted that i paid good money for such a slopy attempt at an album that was St.Anger. Death Magnetic was a waste of space. If ANY other band had brought that out it wouldnt even have registered in the metal world. As for the Lou Reed circus its all turned to s**t, its sad to say they are totally out of touch and away with the fairies and i wont buy another album of theirs again.

Most big rock/metal bands have come out with one disappointing album at least. It's inevitable if their career goes on for long enough. Metallica was going through a turbulent period with it's image and personnel while under big pressure to release a new album both from the public and from themselves. St. Anger was poor but I wasn't surprised looking at the state the band was in in SKOM. Big bands like Metallica do get exaggerated praise when they release a half decent album but also exaggerated bile when they release one that flops, that's the nature of being a high profile band with a legacy and a devoted fan base. Death Magnetic was a fine album but the stories you hear about the recording, Rubin telling them to listen to Puppets, Lars talking about how it sounded like the Black Album meets Justice, it all sounded like they were looking too much back and not enough forward. Still good, though.

Load and Reload and the other little late 90s bits still represent, to me the last time Metallica were just looking forward in an original Metallica band release. Every time since then there's always been talk about how they are trying to get back to something, an aggression or a sound. The Load era was a departure to a warmer tone, a more introspective mood, a grimier, more relaxed feel and an attempt to take in and use different influences. That's why I call it an evolution, which not everybody liked then or now, but I still think L&RL absolutely stand up on their own and contain some of the best moments on any Metallica record.

briany wrote: »
    Most big rock/metal bands have come out with one disappointing album at least. It's inevitable if their career goes on for long enough. Metallica was going through a turbulent period with it's image and personnel while under big pressure to release a new album both from the public and from themselves. St. Anger was poor but I wasn't surprised looking at the state the band was in in SKOM. Big bands like Metallica do get exaggerated praise when they release a half decent album but also exaggerated bile when they release one that flops, that's the nature of being a high profile band with a legacy and a devoted fan base. Death Magnetic was a fine album but the stories you hear about the recording, Rubin telling them to listen to Puppets, Lars talking about how it sounded like the Black Album meets Justice, it all sounded like they were looking too much back and not enough forward. Still good, though.

Load and Reload and the other little late 90s bits still represent, to me the last time Metallica were just looking forward in an original Metallica band release. Every time since then there's always been talk about how they are trying to get back to something, an aggression or a sound. The Load era was a departure to a warmer tone, a more introspective mood, a grimier, more relaxed feel and an attempt to take in and use different influences. That's why I call it an evolution, which not everybody liked then or now, but I still think L&RL absolutely stand up on their own and contain some of the best moments on any Metallica record.

Load - definitely, Re-Load - not so much

Load - definitely, Re-Load - not so much

ReLoad does contain some weaker cuts and with any 'double' alblum there will be filler. Probably would have been best to have released the two albums as an actual set, losing a couple of tracks, but hindsight is always 20/20. My thoughts on the better moments of the two albums still stand though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Am hearing they are bringing the snakepit stage back to Europe this year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Mushy wrote: »

More confirmation they've turned into a nostalgia act.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

Believe it when I see it. That rumour goes around at the start of every tour an never materialises.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

and HOW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

They've been joined by a whole host of other acts then seeing as Slayer are performing RIB in it's entirety this summer in London and Megadeth played a RIP tour a couple of years back.

It's an easy label to throw at bands that have had the sort of longevity that some of these bands have.

There's no confirmation that they are bringing back the snakepit. Most of it is wishful thinking from fans who missed it first time around and are putting 2+2 together,ie: TBA being played in its entirety = Wherever We May Roam tour setup.

If there's gonna be a return of the snakepit then i reckon it'll be at the Mexico shows in August. It's not ideal outdoors and tbh i'd reckon the sound would be pretty poor there.

lord lucan wrote: »
    They've been joined by a whole host of other acts then seeing as Slayer are performing RIB in it's entirety this summer in London and Megadeth played a RIP tour a couple of years back.

It's an easy label to throw at bands that have had the sort of longevity that some of these bands have.

There's no confirmation that they are bringing back the snakepit. Most of it is wishful thinking from fans who missed it first time around and are putting 2+2 together,ie: TBA being played in its entirety = Wherever We May Roam tour setup.

If there's gonna be a return of the snakepit then i reckon it'll be at the Mexico shows in August. It's not ideal outdoors and tbh i'd reckon the sound would be pretty poor there.

This came from the NovaRock forums:

"Hi, So what I would like to share with you what is costs to the Metallica show will be produced this year. [<font]All this is unprecedented at Nova Rock in the shade. [<font]Firstly, the legendary Snakepit revived the festival shows. [<font]For us, of course, a great challenge this excessive production of building over night. [<font]However, then of course the whole thing can look real.[<font]Furthermore, the lighting and equipment requirements enormous, a battle of material beyond compare. [<font]This is also a mega Visiuell show, with huge video screens in and beside the stage. [<font]I can only say simply monsters under these conditions, the Black album to hear, plus all necessary weiterern hits to see us. [<font]Oh, and because I'm already there. [<font]Have times a part of the new Marilyn Manson album and one must say what the rumors are rumors that the good old strength back to the place has probably become a reality. [<font]This is really good too because the new material comes to us. [<font]Good for you and for Nova Rock [<font]So far so good. [<font]greeting, [<font]Ewald"

Its translated from German, so excuse all the awkward parts.

That makes no sense whatsoever

Yep. No sense whatsoever.

I still don't see the snake-pit making a reappearance unless it's part of an indoor setup.

That makes no sense whatsoever

Google translate never does. It takes it literally. What its saying is that its being revived for festivals, and it'll be a huge task to get it put up/taken down over night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Has anyone else seen this scene in Get Him to To Greek? Awesome:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Has anyone else seen this scene in Get Him to To Greek? Awesome:D

Haha! I had always assumed they got a very good double of him when I saw it first, but IMDB begs to differ. That film will always hold a special place for me since it turned me on to the epicness of the Mars Volta.

Ah noise, beautiful noise! Fair play to Lars at having a laugh at himself for that whole debacle. You almost want to hate him, then you see a video of him doing something amazing like when he played the fan's band's song before they went on in oz, and you see he's actually a great Guy when he wants to be

Here's the video for anyone interested, it was posted way back in the thread, at about 13:48 is what I'm talking about

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Would've fallen for something like that when I was younger - not now though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Excellent audio interview with James and Lars from April 1983. Recorded in a moving car,it was between Mustaine being kicked out and the recording of KEA.

Amazing to hear how tuned in they already are,they know what they want and how to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭icarus86

Thats a pretty cool interview, you can hear that they were already thinking past thrash at that stage, and they were brutally honest when talking about Ron!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Just listening to that video now. It's funny to hear them giving out about Kerrang magazine. It seems that even nearly thirty years ago it was "going downhill" and "aimed at kids" :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Malice wrote: »
    Just listening to that video now. It's funny to hear them giving out about Kerrang magazine. It seems that even nearly thirty years ago it was "going downhill" and "aimed at kids" :).

I think the day Kerrang was launched it was aimed at kids. It was more the German magazine that was treated at a more adult audience.

I love that bloke at 9:15. He gets the chance to meet James Hetfield and takes it by the balls with some serious trademark Aussie enthusiasm. Comes off a little bit obnoxious but really he just seems so chuffed to be there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭evillive

from metallica .com

The Snake Pit Returns!!
    April 20, 2012

As you may have heard, the theme of our summer trek through Europe is celebrating the 20th anniversary of the release of the Black Album by playing it in its entirety at all 16 shows. And what would a tour of the Black Album be without a snake pit????

For those of you who were with us almost 20 years ago for the summer of ’92-’93 tours, you might recall that diamond shaped pit extending from the middle of the stage, well it’s baccccckkkk for our little summer vacation!

Met Club members with floor/front section tickets (it varies by venue) are eligible to win passes to watch from the snake pit at all shows on the European tour this summer with the exception of Rock Am Ring on June 2, where local production constraints prevent us from setting the snake pit up. Log in and get all the details on how to enter here.

We’re gearing up and getting ready now . . . see you on the road next month!

evillive wrote: »
    from metallica .com

The Snake Pit Returns!!
    April 20, 2012

As you may have heard, the theme of our summer trek through Europe is celebrating the 20th anniversary of the release of the Black Album by playing it in its entirety at all 16 shows. And what would a tour of the Black Album be without a snake pit????

For those of you who were with us almost 20 years ago for the summer of ’92-’93 tours, you might recall that diamond shaped pit extending from the middle of the stage, well it’s baccccckkkk for our little summer vacation!

Met Club members with floor/front section tickets (it varies by venue) are eligible to win passes to watch from the snake pit at all shows on the European tour this summer with the exception of Rock Am Ring on June 2, where local production constraints prevent us from setting the snake pit up. Log in and get all the details on how to enter here.

We’re gearing up and getting ready now . . . see you on the road next month!

I think that clarifies what I said on this page a month ago then.

• Advertisement

I think that clarifies what I said on this page a month ago then.

Well done you.

Is this going to be a pit within a pit or something? Apparently there's going to be 150 passes for Metclub members, one per member per show. If you win a M&G you get two as well. Will be very interesting to see it in action, can imagine it'll piss off a lot of people who queue early to get to the front.

Advertisement