Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Is this going to be a pit within a pit or something?

I figured it would be something like the setup they used on the Nowhere Else To Roam tour in 1993. This video gives a good idea of what that was like.

Tbh,i don't think it's such a good setup compared to the indoor setup used through 91-92-93. And regardless of being indoors or outdoors,you could spend half the set looking at their arses.:pac:

Also,i'm not too sure what the sound would be like there. I'd imagine it'd be loud and guitar/bass heavy depending on where you were standing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

lord lucan wrote: »
    I figured it would be something like the setup they used on the Nowhere Else To Roam tour in 1993. This video gives a good idea of what that was like.

Just cut out Hetfields swearing and add alot more pyro :P

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Ian the bassist

Like most Metallica's stuff. I'm a believer that their best time was when Cliff Burton was in the band. As a bassist he is one of my big influences and don't think you get many bassists like him. Favourite tunes for me though are definitely "Master Of Puppets", "Orion", "Ride The Lightning" "The Hour Horsemen" and "Seek and Destroy. Not too keen on St anger. But no one ever is ;P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Like most Metallica's stuff. I'm a believer that their best time was when Cliff Burton was in the band. As a bassist he is one of my big influences and don't think you get many bassists like him. Favourite tunes for me though are definitely "Master Of Puppets", "Orion", "Ride The Lightning" "The Hour Horsemen" and "Seek and Destroy. Not too keen on St anger. But no one ever is ;P

Have you read Joel McIver's book 'To live is to Die'?

If you're a fan of Cliff then it's a must read

scudzilla wrote: »
    Have you read Joel McIver's book 'To live is to Die'?

If you're a fan of Cliff then it's a must read

Nah I haven't. Have seen the documentary "cliff em' all" and read up about him on the net though. I use wah and distortion together because of him. He's an effect hero XD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Nah I haven't. Have seen the documentary "cliff em' all" and read up about him on the net though. I use wah and distortion together because of him. He's an effect hero XD

do you play bass man?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

D.Q wrote: »
    do you play bass man?
    Given his username and the fact that he mentions Cliff Burton as an influence I'd say it's a possibility that he does...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,179 ✭✭✭✭briany

It's cool for a bass player to use pedals and all as long as it doesn't make him into one where it seems like the more gear they have, the less likely or less able they'll be just to hold down a groove and underpin things tastefully. Once that's nailed, they can play the Jaco solos later on.*

* There'll be no Jaco solos later on. That's just the carrot we dangle.

I thought the username would have given that away ;) Yeah. I am a believer in following the groove. But you can add in fills and mini solos as long as it's tasteful and goes with the song. I can't play a solo or fill unless it holds a beat or groove to it(unlike guitarists who can go off time, I feel it doesn't really suit bass if it's off time too much) I admit I am an effects whore. ;) Phaser, chorus, distortion and wah are on my pedalboard. Which will probably expand in the future :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Malice wrote: »
    Given his username and the fact that he mentions Cliff Burton as an influence I'd say it's a possibility that he does...

This is the guy, this guy, right here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Came across this video on youtube. F*cking awesome version of the song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Came across this video on youtube. F*cking awesome version of the song.

Don't agree with you there. I thought the vocals were appalling.

Don't agree with you there. I thought the vocals were appalling.

Not my cup of tea either but a total relief because I briefly thought, at the start of the video, that it would be the singer from the DX band doing the vocals and that would have been groin grabbingly, crotch choppingly bad.

Why is the Orion riff being played instead of the verse riff in that cover

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

A better question I think.

Because the song is implementing bits of other Metallica songs into it. You may also hear a bit of Wherever I may roam too.

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Because the song is implementing bits of other Metallica songs into it. You may also hear a bit of Wherever I may roam too.
    I didn't listen that far, my bad :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

And yes, this is 100% Ron's Ebay account!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230782837088?roken=YIqCqS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

he's not doing so well with it is he.

so scudz are ya biddin' are ya? 50 euro for a sweaty bit of nearly was history :D

And here is what the Snakepit 2012 looks like:

548324_457711237579462_115704001780189_103155215_1952242900_n.jpg

Stage set up today for tomorrows show in Prague.

• Advertisement

They're playing TBA in reverse,starting with Struggle Within.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

They're playing TBA in reverse,starting with Struggle Within.

Ah here, what are they up to?! Doesn't that kinda defeat the purpose of playing the whole album?

feylya wrote: »
    Ah here, what are they up to?! Doesn't that kinda defeat the purpose of playing the whole album?

I guess they figured that everyone would expect them to kick off with Sandman so they decided to spin it around just to be different.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Didn't think they'd start the show with Sandman but reversing it? That makes no sense. NONE I tells ya!

1. Hit the Lights
    2. Master of Puppets
    3. The Shortest Straw
    4. For Whom the Bell Tolls
    5. Blackened
    6. The Struggle Within
    7. My Friend of Misery
    8. The God That Failed
    9. Of Wolf & Man
    10. Nothing Else Matters
    11. Through the Never
    12. Don't Tread On Me
    13. Wherever I May Roam
    14. The Unforgiven
    15. Holier Than Thou
    16. Sad But True
    17. Enter Sandman
    ENCORE
    18. Fuel
    19. One
    20. Seek & Destroy

Pretty standard festival setlist,TBA excepted. Had hoped for a couple of rarely played numbers or Beyond Magnetic tracks but i guess they'll just play it safe for the festival season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Pretty standard festival setlist,TBA excepted. Had hoped for a couple of rarely played numbers or Beyond Magnetic tracks but i guess they'll just play it safe for the festival season.

Isn't every Metallica set list pretty standard. I see they finished with S&D again!!!

If I had my way, I would take out shortest straw, and replace it with harvester of sorrow.

I'd also swap hit the lights with blackened.

scudzilla wrote: »
    And yes, this is 100% Ron's Ebay account!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230782837088?roken=YIqCqS

Did he overestimate the kind of value these items would have or does he just really need the money? Feel bad for Ron if it's the latter.

1. Hit the Lights
    2. Master of Puppets
    3. The Shortest Straw
    4. For Whom the Bell Tolls
    5. Blackened
    6. The Struggle Within
    7. My Friend of Misery
    8. The God That Failed
    9. Of Wolf & Man
    10. Nothing Else Matters
    11. Through the Never
    12. Don't Tread On Me
    13. Wherever I May Roam
    14. The Unforgiven
    15. Holier Than Thou
    16. Sad But True
    17. Enter Sandman
    ENCORE
    18. Fuel
    19. One
    20. Seek & Destroy

They're having One as the Encore? I bet Metallica will do the typical teasing the audience bit, and pretend to leave after Fuel then all of a sudden, que the intro to One. Personally I think they should switch the Encore for Four Horsemen and Whiplash.

• Advertisement

Imagine being able to play that setlist, knowing that

a) all the material is yours.

and

b) you could play 20 completely different songs and people would be just as delighted.

what a career.

Advertisement