Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Unusual to see a Metallica set with not a cover tune in sight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

lord lucan wrote: »
    Unusual to see a Metallica set with not a cover tune in sight.

Makes for a refreshing change. Although, their covers - for the most part - are pretty damn good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Makes for a refreshing change. Although, their covers - for the most part - are pretty damn good.

I love their covers. Turn the Page in Marlay Park was such an unexpected treat!

I suppose with the black album pushes all the covers out the window. Im so glad I'm seeing them at Download this year and therefore will (hopefully) not have to listen to chants of "whiskey"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

D.Q wrote: »

I suppose with the black album pushes all the covers out the window. Im so glad I'm seeing them at Download this year and therefore will (hopefully) not have to listen to chants of "whiskey"

Their version of Lynrd Skynrd's "Tuesday's Gone" is 100% bang on the money(imo).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

D.Q wrote: »

Plus Stone Cold Crazy and Breadfan in Belfast 2 years ago were pretty epic, two highlights of the gigs for me!

• Advertisement

Full show from Prague.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I can't wait to see them in a few weeks, Download here we come, gonna be epic

Full show from Prague.

Is that an Irish flag next to the Sweedish one in the Snakepit on stage left?

Bloody hell, we really do get to any gig....

And Lars, seriously, go bald and be done with it...don't end up with the Norris Cole look first....the hairline slowly recedes...

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Am I Evil?

METALLICA drummer Lars Ulrich was asked if there is anything in the 2004 documentary "Some Kind Of Monster" that he wishes had been left out. "I'm definitely guilty of poking sometimes," he replied. "I'm Danish, and Danish people sometimes like to stick their finger in somebody else's shoulder and push them a bit. I sometimes think that the metal community is just so f**king serious and up its own ass. Once in a while it needs a little poke, and I don't mind being that guy. Nobody else seems to do it. Sometimes I read, 'Oh, Lars Ulrich, what an asshole,' or, 'Lars Ulrich can't play drums.' I laugh at all of that. People sit there and say these awful things in the chat forums. I think it's really funny when someone sits there and says something that he's typed with his dick, or some 12-year-old who hasn't figured out how to jerk off yet is sitting there typing insults about somebody he's never met. The whole thing's hilarious."
    lars telling it how it is :pac: haha

Watched that full Prague show they seem to be playing really tight. You can clearly tell they've practised the Black album to death before going out on tour.
    Fecking shame they've decided to stick with the Enter Sandman they've played for about 10 years though and not go back to the original style. Considering everything else is as recorded pretty much.

I also can't get with Hit the lights opening shows. I just don't like it as an opener. I've seen them live starting with it and it doesn't compare to the other usuals. Creeping Death is the perfect starter

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lemmy Scott

saw them years ago before they sold out and ya they were great-after justice they just got worse and worse

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Going to be seeing them in about 10 hours in Stade Dr France. Call it a warm up for Download :D

Hell and Back from Beyond Magnetic just got played in Paris. I hope they're holding Rebel of Babylon until Werchter.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Am I Evil? wrote: »
    METALLICA drummer Lars Ulrich was asked if there is anything in the 2004 documentary "Some Kind Of Monster" that he wishes had been left out. "I'm definitely guilty of poking sometimes," he replied. "I'm Danish, and Danish people sometimes like to stick their finger in somebody else's shoulder and push them a bit. I sometimes think that the metal community is just so f**king serious and up its own ass. Once in a while it needs a little poke, and I don't mind being that guy. Nobody else seems to do it. Sometimes I read, 'Oh, Lars Ulrich, what an asshole,' or, 'Lars Ulrich can't play drums.' I laugh at all of that. People sit there and say these awful things in the chat forums. I think it's really funny when someone sits there and says something that he's typed with his dick, or some 12-year-old who hasn't figured out how to jerk off yet is sitting there typing insults about somebody he's never met. The whole thing's hilarious."

lars telling it how it is :pac: haha

Watched that full Prague show they seem to be playing really tight. You can clearly tell they've practised the Black album to death before going out on tour.
    Fecking shame they've decided to stick with the Enter Sandman they've played for about 10 years though and not go back to the original style. Considering everything else is as recorded pretty much.

I also can't get with Hit the lights opening shows. I just don't like it as an opener. I've seen them live starting with it and it doesn't compare to the other usuals. Creeping Death is the perfect starter

He didn't exactly answer the question, he just started ranting on about the Metal fans. He was asked if there was anything he wish was left out of the Documentary.

Riddle101 wrote: »
    He didn't exactly answer the question, he just started ranting on about the Metal fans. He was asked if there was anything he wish was left out of the Documentary.

I think he meant leave out everything in SKOM with him in it!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Hell and Back from Beyond Magnetic just got played in Paris. I hope they're holding Rebel of Babylon until Werchter.:)

Is that Rock Werchter? Cracking festival! Be prepared for a very subdued crowd, but its great fun!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭Cill94

It seems like they just play the classics at live shows nowadays? If so then fair deuce to them for giving the people what they want. I'd go see them live if that was the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

Cill94 wrote: »
    It seems like they just play the classics at live shows nowadays? If so then fair deuce to them for giving the people what they want. I'd go see them live if that was the case.

They tend to play the classics at festival shows. You could hear pretty much anything when they play indoors/on an album tour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Kevski wrote: »
    They tend to play the classics at festival shows. You could hear pretty much anything when they play indoors/on an album tour.

Probably cos the festival audience is so diverse, for an indoor show it's gonna be just Metallica fans so they can get away wit a lot more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

They pulled out some pretty diverse stuff on those anniversary gigs in San Francisco recently, I wish they were that diverse all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭Cill94

Kevski wrote: »

Ah I see. Because I only like the earlier stuff. Even '...AJFA' is a tad overrated in my opinion. The first three are still some of my absolute favourites. And for that reason I will stay well away from an album tour!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

The France gig was fecking epic. The beer came in Black album branded cups! Very cool touch. Struggle Within live is awesome too :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

They pulled out some pretty diverse stuff on those anniversary gigs in San Francisco recently, I wish they were that diverse all the time.

Yeah me too. Metallica set lists are too predictable for the most part these days (with the odd exceptions, recent SF shows for example).

As they've no product out to promote at the moment so are selling tickets based on nostalgia, they kind of have to play Enter Sandman, One, Nothing Else Matters etc. But I hate the way the 'big' songs are almost always played just before the end of the main set or in the encore.

I've been looking at the setlist's from the last few dates and I think it's strange how Blackened leads into the Black album portion of the evening - especially since the Editor of So What made that statement in the most recent issue of the magazine - and people pointed out that the Black Album is only known as that informally by fans, and strictly speaking is still the self titled release.

I think the Black album portion takes too much time from the set list, and even now they insist on starting with Hit the Lights and performing Fuel, which I honestly don't want to be reminded of - it's strange, they have the opportunity to just completely change things up, ask fans to vote on their favourite set list or just try and get as many rarities in as possible...yet nothing...

I'm assuming we're also getting something special from the (currently) 8 nights in Mexico, sounds like at least another live DVD (or maybe another Binge and Purge type set) is going to be the product. I'd imagine going to see the band over 8 nights in Mexico would be my dream come true to be honest. Over a week of Metallica concerts with four already being completely sold out.

Their dates in Norway and Denmark are also sold out as well

Is that Rock Werchter? Cracking festival! Be prepared for a very subdued crowd, but its great fun!

It's a one day festival at Werchter,Werchter Boutique they're calling it.

Metallica,Soundgarden,Gojira,Channel Zero and Ghost is the line-up. Looking forward to it,seems to be well organised and is well regarded. The usual 3 day festival still happens in July.

I've been looking at the setlist's from the last few dates and I think it's strange how Blackened leads into the Black album portion of the evening - especially since the Editor of So What made that statement in the most recent issue of the magazine - and people pointed out that the Black Album is only known as that informally by fans, and strictly speaking is still the self titled release.

There's mention of both titles in the video intro to TBA live set. It's been universally referenced by fans and the band as TBA pretty much since release. The only time i've seen it printed as Metallica:Metallica is on discographies.

And tbh saying Metallica:Metallica is a mouthful and sounds ridiculous.:pac:

Edit:Here's the video intro they're using.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,179 ✭✭✭✭briany

There's mention of both titles in the video intro to TBA live set. It's been universally referenced by fans and the band as TBA pretty much since release. The only time i've seen it printed as Metallica:Metallica is on discographies.

And tbh saying Metallica:Metallica is a mouthful and sounds ridiculous.:pac:

"I love Metallica!"

"Do you mean the band specifically or their self titled release?"

":confused: Is that some kind of euphemism?"

This sounds great live.

The above does sound great live, but I'd prefer Jason playing it

The above does sound great live, but I'd prefer Jason playing it

Here you go.:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11