Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

When Thin Lizzy played 'Whiskey In The Jar' last night at the 02 I was just thinking of this.....

....so much so that I even did the "hey hey hey hey" scream in the chorus and shouted "but I like to hear DUBLIN ROARING lol"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Do Metallica 'tidy up' the recordings on the Live Metallica releases?

The reason I ask is I was just reading the 30th Anniversary magazine and in the interview with Kirk he was saying in the days after the 4 shows he had to go into the studio to do some recording. What else would he be recording? Unless it was to do with the Beyond Magnetic songs but I thought they were all finished back in the Death magnetic days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,179 ✭✭✭✭briany

Don't Thread On Me sounds pretty epic live from those videos I think

It's a great song but to me it'll always be more of an album song. Some songs are like that and they just don't rock an arena the way other songs do. I'd love for Metallica to do a smaller secret/fanclub show like a 3,000 seat with a small stage and the audience right on top of them similar to the one around the time of DM but doing the BA set and record it for DVD. I think it would really allow that set to shine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Do Metallica 'tidy up' the recordings on the Live Metallica releases?

The reason I ask is I was just reading the 30th Anniversary magazine and in the interview with Kirk he was saying in the days after the 4 shows he had to go into the studio to do some recording. What else would he be recording? Unless it was to do with the Beyond Magnetic songs but I thought they were all finished back in the Death magnetic days.

AFAIK they've never added to the LiveMet recordings. Any of the shows i've been too sound exactly as they did on the day,bum notes and forgotten lyrics included. They obviously add to official live releases(listen to the drums on the Nimes DVD!!) but i think they leave well alone with the LiveMet stuff. They lose money as it is on it,can't imagine they'd bother with touching up or adding overdubs to them.

Maybe Kirk was doing a guest spot on someone elses record or something,that's all i could think of. The BM stuff remained unchanged from when it was recorded during the DM sessions i believe.

lord lucan wrote: »
    They lose money as it is on it,can't imagine they'd bother with touching up or adding overdubs to them.

Asides from piracy, more people stealing Live Metallica recordings from Torrent sites then actually paying for the show on the website, how do they loose money? I'd imagine since 2003 (when the service was established) they'd written off the cost of the equipment and - provided the service only needs 1 or 2 technical staff to maintain on a given tour - they've surely been able to cover wages? I'm really surprised to hear they'd be loosing money?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

Asides from piracy, more people stealing Live Metallica recordings from Torrent sites then actually paying for the show on the website, how do they loose money? I'd imagine since 2003 (when the service was established) they'd written off the cost of the equipment and - provided the service only needs 1 or 2 technical staff to maintain on a given tour - they've surely been able to cover wages? I'm really surprised to hear they'd be loosing money?

Livemetallica is a service that barely breaks even. Considering the amount of work that goes into recording the shows,uploading/distributing them in two formats, the cost of website plus servers, in relation to the amount of people that actually download the shows legally.....you can see where money can and is lost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Metallitia on Friday night was epic :D, i realise a lot of people have seen them ages ago but have wanted to see them since my teens, only got to now, brilliant stuff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

candy-gal1 wrote: »
    Metallitia on Friday night was epic :D, i realise a lot of people have seen them ages ago but have wanted to see them since my teens, only got to now, brilliant stuff!

Was there too. Was f**kin nuts. Yer man that they brought in(the second guitarist) looked like the double of Kirk Hammett.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Was there too. Was f**kin nuts. Yer man that they brought in(the second guitarist) looked like the double of Kirk Hammett.

oh i sooo thought that too, seriously awesome with the looking like and sounding like, wasnt expecting that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,179 ✭✭✭✭briany

oh i sooo thought that too, seriously awesome with the looking like and sounding like, wasnt expecting that :)

Maybe he walks around in daily life thinking,

"Lookin' like Kirk.....

Soundin' like Kirk....

Life's pretty good....

Except for those times Dave Mustaine chased me down the street screaming about how he tasted."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

do Metallica play the same song over the PA directly before Ecstasy?

D.Q wrote: »
    do Metallica play the same song over the PA directly before Ecstasy?

For a long time they used to play AC/DC's 'It's a long way to the top if you wanna rock n roll' but I don't know if they still do. I think Saxon's 'Motorcycle Man' was used for a while too

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

It's still AC/DC

For a long time they used to play AC/DC's 'It's a long way to the top if you wanna rock n roll' but I don't know if they still do. I think Saxon's 'Motorcycle Man' was used for a while too

They switched to Saxons Heavy Metal Thunder for the World Magnetic tour but reverted back to AC/DC's It's A Long Way To The Top If You Wanna Rock N' Roll last year.

It's funny how the song(s) have become part of the intro prefacing TEOG. I remember the arena in Belfast erupting at the sound of crackling thunder over the PA as Heavy Metal Thunder began. It's something you see more at indoor shows where there's more 'hardcores' in attendance and they know the drill.

lord lucan wrote: »
    They switched to Saxons Heavy Metal Thunder for the World Magnetic tour but reverted back to AC/DC's It's A Long Way To The Top If You Wanna Rock N' Roll last year.

It's funny how the song(s) have become part of the intro prefacing TEOG. I remember the arena in Belfast erupting at the sound of crackling thunder over the PA as Heavy Metal Thunder began. It's something you see more at indoor shows where there's more 'hardcores' in attendance and they know the drill.

Aggggh.....Got my Saxon songs mixed up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Think I saw you up front at that gig??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Mad to think Belfast was over 2 years ago. I remember skipping off my 3 college exams for Metallica. WORTH IT :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Mad to think Belfast was over 2 years ago. I remember skipping off my 3 college exams for Metallica. WORTH IT :P

Wow, I was supposed to go to Iron Maiden last year in Belfast, but I had to repeat my college exams. Was really p*ssed as well since I missed them the year before. I bought those tickets around christmas 2010, and was looking forward to going to see them all year long.:mad:

Rock In Rio from Lisbon is veing streamed live on Youtube tonight. Metallica due on around 23.30.

http://www.youtube.com/rockinrio?feature=inp-lt-rou

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭harvester of sorrow

Youtube have a live stream from rock in rio now.!!!!

Edit: Lord Lucan got their before me!

• Advertisement

Apparently James decided to check out Mastodon at the Lisbon show. He dressed up in a hoody and mask and walked into the Snakepit and watched their set whilst most around were oblivious to his presence and no doubt wondering who the weirdo was wearing all that gear in temperatures approaching 30 degrees celcius!!

xpto.jpg

http://postimage.org/image/g7ef6h4n9/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Pic not working :(

Pic not working :(

I just logged out to check but i can still see it?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Working for me.

I really enjoyed that Metallica performance. I thought they were really on form. Hell and back is probably my least favourite of the BM tracks and I thought the sing a long bit during Enter Sandman was a bit cheesy (Lars' idea I presume?) but apart from that it sounded like a great gig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

I really enjoyed that Metallica performance. I thought they were really on form. Hell and back is probably my least favourite of the BM tracks and I thought the sing a long bit during Enter Sandman was a bit cheesy (Lars' idea I presume?) but apart from that it sounded like a great gig.

The sing along bit? As in when Hetfield leaves out a line for the crowd to sing? They've been doing that during many songs for well over 20 years man, it's called interacting with the crowd. What difference would it make if it was Lars' idea?

Kevski wrote: »
    The sing along bit? As in when Hetfield leaves out a line for the crowd to sing? They've been doing that during many songs for well over 20 years man, it's called interacting with the crowd. What difference would it make if it was Lars' idea?

I know there's been sing along bits for years, Master of Puppets/Seek and Destroy being great examples but the one they've added on this tour in the middle of Enter Sandman is weak in my opinion. it just doesn't fit right I don't think and even the lines he's asking them to sing a long with don't fit right. Hey, it's just my opinion and millions of Metallica fanboys probably think it's grand.

God I can't wait for Donnington, also renewing the fan club membership this week, haven't been sent the latest So What - a bit cheeky because I was still entitled to my fourth issue

http://www.breakingnews.ie/entertainment/no-more-two-year-breaks-for-metallica-553353.html

Anyone want to start a whip round for Kirk? The poor fella won't be able to take 2 year breaks anymore because he only gets one or two windfalls from each album release. It must be tough.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

God I can't wait for Donnington, also renewing the fan club membership this week, haven't been sent the latest So What - a bit cheeky because I was still entitled to my fourth issue

Just got my renewal pack. The tshirt is kinda crap this year

Advertisement