Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,179 ✭✭✭✭briany

http://www.breakingnews.ie/entertainment/no-more-two-year-breaks-for-metallica-553353.html

Anyone want to start a whip round for Kirk? The poor fella won't be able to take 2 year breaks anymore because he only gets one or two windfalls from each album release. It must be tough.

I felt a strong urge to stop reading after "The 'Enter Sandman' hitmakers".

It's the life of a famous rock musician though, isn't it. Big tour, big break. They probably forget at the time of saying how it might sound to us more ordinary folk. It's like that footage from making DM of Lars in his bathrobe chastising one of their crew because the in studio chiller had some ordinary diet cokes amongst his preferred lime diet cokes and he didn't want to grab an ordinary one by mistake. He probably didn't think twice about making the point in earnest even though it comes across as very pampered and uncool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

My MetClub membership ran out in January. Just have not had the spare cash lying around (yes I know its only 60 quid but thats alot for me these days!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

My MetClub membership ran out in January. Just have not had the spare cash lying around (yes I know its only 60 quid but thats alot for me these days!)

Come on hurry up and pay. Kirk needs the money!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Thoroughly enjoyed the Wercther experience. Fantastic set-up for a gig and somewhere i'd definitely go again despite my loathing of outdoor shows.

Got a pretty good setlist,Lites,Puppets,RTL & Bells to kick off with followed by Hell and Back and TBA. Hell and Back sounds great live. Reminds me of some of the Load material and how it sounds way better live than on record,heavy but with a cool groove to it.

Highlights of TBA set were Misery and Don't Thread on Me. TBA is probably my least listened to Metallica album but i was unexpectedly blown away by how great a lot of it sounded live,obviously the tracks i'd never heard having the biggest impact. I love the second half of Misery and it was immense live,almost flawless.

Downside,the end of the show. Sandman marked the tale end of the show and tbh i hated the big singalong part that they have going now in the middle of the song. It's contrived and imo a bit crap. The singalong stuff over the years has always come from the fans initiative but now it seems they're trying to force it themselves and it feels out of place.

After Battery started the encore it was show over as far as i was concerned. I made my way to the back of the venue during One and left before Seek. I was on a bus back to Leuven by the time the band said their goodbyes. It's very predictable now,especially having seen them a lot over the years. There was a huge number of people leaving around the same time and i'm pretty sure for the same reason. A look around at the various tour t-shirts on show during the day told a story that many had also seen multiple shows and knew how the set would go.

Special mention,non-Metallica related,to Soundgarden. Was made up at finally getting to see them live after all these years. They were excellent and despite a fairly lukewarm reception they manged to win the crowd over.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Another Metallica gig getting streamed for anyone who missed the Rock In Rio one

http://www.planetrock.com/news/rock-news/metallica-to-stream-rock-am-ring-set/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,639 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

WOW ! 2 years since an Irish date !!! :(

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭weisses

Whats up with Lars these days ... starting to look like Phil Collins "according to the presenters at RamR"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

weisses wrote: »
    Whats up with Lars these days ... starting to look like Phil Collins "according to the presenters at RamR"

The aul receding hairline doesn't help I guess!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,639 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Phil Collins is a better drummer !!

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

greenspurs wrote: »
    Phil Collins is a better drummer !!

Off topic: One of my favourite Jimmy Carr Jokes:

"Creationists believe everything stated in the book of Genesis. I'm not so sure, I don't even rate Phil Collins as a good drummer.."

On topic: I can't wait to see this new stage setup in Mexico, I'm wondering will the '92-era snakepit make a return.

On topic: I can't wait to see this new stage setup in Mexico, I'm wondering will the '92-era snakepit make a return.

I have a weird scenario in my head where there's a stage with snakepit and a revolving backdrop from different stage shows,like MOP crosses and AJFA set with Doris and maybe even DM coffins.

Metallica%20in%20the%20tour%20of%20the%20album%20Master%20Of%20Puppets%20..jpg

ClassicTracks_01.jpg

metallica-united-kingdom-concert31.jpeg

It would be pretty cool for it to be a mixture of previous stage setups. They can leave the Reload era stage collapse/man on fire out of it though.

It would be pretty cool for it to be a mixture of previous stage setups. They can leave the Reload era stage collapse/man on fire out of it though.

Yeah,that element of a show worked at the time but wouldn't have any impact now. It's sorta funny looking back at it now and how comical it was watching the band pretend to be hit by stuff and get felled by flaming bits of stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 osmund

Going to donington/download festival this weekend...Anyone interested in hooking up in dublin going over to campsite on friday morning?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Saw the lads at Rock im Park...left after Of Wolf and Man. Wanted to see the Hives, that and the fact Lars and Kirk should retire or just not tour as much didn't help the cause. Were grand for the few songs I did see.

Mushy wrote: »
    Saw the lads at Rock im Park...left after Of Wolf and Man. Wanted to see the Hives, that and the fact Lars and Kirk should retire or just not tour as much didn't help the cause. Were grand for the few songs I did see.

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Left Metallica to watch the Hives - no offence but if that's the case then I don't think I can listen to your review - we have a very different musical taste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27 Steveo.1985

Left Metallica to watch the Hives - no offence but if that's the case then I don't think I can listen to your review - we have a very different musical taste.

Ditto

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27 Steveo.1985

There's been no indication if the "super" stage setup will tour outside of the Mexico / Canadian dates yet and I would be expecting a return to studio soon as it has been 4 years since DM's release and they have said they have been writing whilst on tour.

There's been no indication if the "super" stage setup will tour outside of the Mexico / Canadian dates yet and I would be expecting a return to studio soon as it has been 4 years since DM's release and they have said they have been writing whilst on tour.

I think this'll be a short run with this stage in order to film it and then they'll call time on the road for a bit. I'd expect 2013 to be spent mainly in the studio though the odd festival next summer can never be ruled out.

I post the video below,not because i was there,but for Kirks comment in the M&G about his favourite album.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

:confused:

Butchering the songs, we all know Lars is bad, but leaving out easy bits and then Kirk having no fluidity, it sounded really like he was struggling to master them, which was sad.

Ah I've seen Metallica loads, never The Hives so I was gonna leave early anyway. Hives was hilarious btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Still wonder if Mexico will lead to the recording of a new DVD, would seem strange if it doesn't, especially given their 8 nights in a row

Still wonder if Mexico will lead to the recording of a new DVD, would seem strange if it doesn't, especially given their 8 nights in a row

Vancouver is the only show that they've stated will be filmed. It's being filmed in 3D for their movie thingy.

They've already released a live cd/dvd from there recently enough. What I'm more interested in is how they'll vary the setlist. It's a great opportunity to pull out some rarities. Will never forget hearing Blitzkrieg being played in Berlin, was incredible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Maybe an album a night for 5 nights with 3 "mixed" nights? Kill Em All, Ride, Master, Justice, Black and DM in full. Then pluck up some songs from the songs of Load, Reload, St. Anger, Garage Inc and Beyond Magnetic and play them over the 8 days

Maybe an album a night for 5 nights with 3 "mixed" nights? Kill Em All, Ride, Master, Justice, Black and DM in full. Then pluck up some songs from the songs of Load, Reload, St. Anger, Garage Inc and Beyond Magnetic and play them over the 8 days

Don't forget Lulu!:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

lord lucan wrote: »
    Don't forget Lulu!:pac:

What's Lulu??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

It's a great opportunity to pull out some rarities.

It is, also would be an interesting chance to do an entire studio album back to back each night - see how far they can get with that?

It still amazes me how insanely popular Metallica are in these countries, the sheer numbers who will travel to see them and the distances they come

Advertisement