Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

It still amazes me how insanely popular Metallica are in these countries, the sheer numbers who will travel to see them and the distances they come

Maiden are the same,they could spend the rest of their playing days in South America and still constantly sell out every show. It's often forgotten that South America is a massive Rock & Metal market. It's no surprise that ventures like the Rock Allstars thingy with Gene Simmons went to South America and sold very well whilst it would hardly raise much interest(or cash) in North America.

Before my gigging days are over i will definitely try and get to a gig in South America,just to experience the passion they have for all things R&M.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

lord lucan wrote: »
    Maiden are the same,they could spend the rest of their playing days in South America and still constantly sell out every show. It's often forgotten that South America is a massive Rock & Metal market. It's no surprise that ventures like the Rock Allstars thingy with Gene Simmons went to South America and sold very well whilst it would hardly raise much interest(or cash) in North America.

Before my gigging days are over i will definitely try and get to a gig in South America,just to experience the passion they have for all things R&M.

South America is absolutely rabid for all things rock/metal. India is quickly becoming another huge market for bands now, expect to see some huge festivals to spring up there in the near future. Would love to see a show in Rio or Mexico City. Might be a while before that happens though! Think my next gigging trip would be another US indoor tour stint with 'Tallica. Last one was f*cking insane.

South America is absolutely rabid for all things rock/metal. India is quickly becoming another huge market for bands now, expect to see some huge festivals to spring up there in the near future. Would love to see a show in Rio or Mexico City. Might be a while before that happens though! Think my next gigging trip would be another US indoor tour stint with 'Tallica. Last one was f*cking insane.

I've a pain in my h0le with outdoor gigs in this country. Would love to see Metallica indoors again.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bigbadcon

I've a pain in my h0le with outdoor gigs in this country. Would love to see Metallica indoors again.

Best Metallica Gigs Ive been at were always indoors, The Point,Oddyssey in Belfast.

Worst was Reading Festival,donno why I travelled over there to see Metallica. I was standing about 2 miles back and couldnt see a thing while everyone in front of me were talking amongst themselves and not even watching the band.

Saying that Wembley arena was brilliant as Machine Head and Mastodon were supporting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

bigbadcon wrote: »
    Saying that Wembley arena was brilliant as Machine Head and Mastodon were supporting.

I seen them in Sheffield on a similar tour, Machine Head and The Sword in support, great gig and really suited indoors...the light and laser show at the start was a real treat and helped the atmosphere a lot

bigbadcon wrote: »
    Best Metallica Gigs Ive been at were always indoors, The Point,Oddyssey in Belfast.

Worst was Reading Festival,donno why I travelled over there to see Metallica. I was standing about 2 miles back and couldnt see a thing while everyone in front of me were talking amongst themselves and not even watching the band.

'Twas Wembley Stadium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Still regard that Wembley Stadium gig as one of the best I have seen!

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bigbadcon

'Twas Wembley Stadium.

Sorry thats what I meant, I saw them the day before at live Earth also and bumped into a manager who was working there from Rings end in dublin and it turns out my misses knew someone she knew....

Anyway she got us pit passes for the Tallica gig the next day.Sweet :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

This shouldn't work but for some strange reason I kind of like it.

• Advertisement

For anyone interested FUSE on YouTube is streaming Metallica's set from Orion Music and More on both nights....coverage also includes some of the other bands at the festival, beginning tomorrow night at 5.30pm BST (10.30 GMT) and I'd imagine it'll be going until about 3am with time difference. All for free and obviously pro shot.

Day 1: https://www.youtube.com/user/fuse?v=Af3EhKR-lVA
    Day 2: https://www.youtube.com/user/fuse?v=EhmSq5mTG1o

Just my two cents having listened to it yesterday

Enter Sandman performed by Rise to Remain
    No song on The Black Album is more iconic than its opener, and no song is more typical of the albums writing process, beginning with a slow chord jam and building to its eventual climax before the vocals have even begun. Musically this is a great cover, keeping in time and in mood with the original, but the vocals let it down – Rise to Remain just lack the power and force of James Hetfield. A lot of credit goes to the solo in this track for being so powerful, and yet having a unique stamp all of its own, and this is certainly miles better than Adam Lambert’s pitiful attempt last year.

Sad But True performed by Your Demise
    Again, from the first note, this is a song which (musically) keeps in the mood of the original – you know what you’re getting and your glad you’re hearing it – the drumming is top notch and might even supersede the original. Lyrically however, this is a different song, with a vocal range never intended for the original. Strangely, it works at times, but fails at others, and when it fails it just sounds like someone screaming over a great backing track.

Holier Then Thou performed by Devildriver
    Veteran California band Devildriver actually recorded this track over two years ago for another American tribute album which didn’t get a UK release. This song is a really powerful take on Holier Then Thou which focuses more on changing the vocals and speeding up the tempo (if that’s even possible), and it’s an interesting insight into what this song could have been like if Devildriver had of released it, which makes it a fair attempt.

The Unforgiven performed by The Defiled
    The first song on this album to sound radically different from it’s original, in the sense that synth and production has been added to the backing track and vocals, and a different drum set up almost gives it another kind of sound. Vocally the song is excellent, but the music drowns out a lot of the vocals, and the synth masking the vocal doesn’t help matters either – an interesting venture, without which nothing would have been gained, but I don’t see this being a memorable track from the album. That’s a pity given the status of this single in more recent Metallica live performances.

Wherever I May Roam performed by Yashin
    No

Don’t Thread On Me performed by Hawk Eyes
    Not familiar with a lot of this bands work, which makes it difficult to establish how close to their sound this song represents, because at times they almost sound vocally like the Kaiser Chiefs and musically like The Doves? This is more like an Indie Rock cover of this song and seems misplaced on what should be a Metal tribute. Very strange song altogether, especially the Foo Fighters like bridge, and their over admiration of the West Side Story reference in the track (not even Kirk was trying to be that obvious for fear of copyright infringement)

Through the Never performed by Evile
    Evile get a lot of grief for sounding like Metallica, and copying Metallica, and trying to be the next Metallica. For that reason this song is almost pitch perfect and although (again) the vocals aren’t as strong as James this is certainly a stand out track on this album. Musically it has retained that Evile ripping off Metallica sound while still sounding a lot like the original.

Nothing Else Matters performed by Lost Alone
    Not sure how many bands would have fought to sing this song, considering that everyone from Staind to Godsmack have released it as a live cover at one point or another, and it is also another iconic song from this album. Vocally this is a great fit and really matches the mood and tempo of the song, musically they’ve added a bit more of a kick to the first and second verse, but nothing too much so as to take away from the intention of the song. The only criticism I have of this song is that at times it’s too heavy, it doesn’t build like the original to the eventual explosion, instead there’s an extra guitar added almost straight away and that takes the softness of this track away. Excellent effort though.

Of Wolf and Man performed by Savage Messiah
    A pretty good attempt at a powerful song, nothing against this cover, sounds pretty decent.

The God That Failed performed by The Black Spiders
    Another good cover of a song that’s probably not as well known as the others on this album, alongside the Struggle Within, I’d almost consider this to be the “forgotten song” from this album. Interesting choice of vocals, but musically credit where it’s due, this is a song I’d like to hear live alright.

My Friend of Misery by Motionless in White
    Pitch perfect. This is the closest any band on this album gets to out and out replicating Metallica. I think Jason will love this when he hears it. And I recommend this as my track of the album, a fitting tribute.

The Struggle Within performed by Devil Sold His Soul
    This band should be shot for messing with this song like they have

Hetfield finally got to play his favourite Metallica song ever on Saturday night!:pac::pac:

Just watched the full gig on Youtube. Wasn't that the lamest crowd you've ever seen at a Metallica gig? They were more interested in recording the gig on their phones than anything.

Was at a gig in Denver in 2008 and there was hundreds filming the thing on phones. Hetfield had a mini rant at them, was hilarious.

Was at a gig in Denver in 2008 and there was hundreds filming the thing on phones. Hetfield had a mini rant at them, was hilarious.

Not the first time he's done that either. At the DM launch gig at the o2 in London in 2008 he had a pop at people filming on their phones.

I used to take the odd pic or 2 at gigs,mainly indoor shows if i was up front and usually between songs. I don't even bother now,i just try and enjoy the show for what it is. It is a huge thing at shows now though. Some people seem to spend most of the gig looking at it through a viewfinder. I noticed it at Werchter a few weeks ago,people in front of me taking a pic,lowering the camera and then reviewing the pic. They were missing a huge amount of the show because of it.

Whilst there's some great pro-shot stuff on Youtube there's also a lot of crap too. Most phones can't handle the decibels at a metal show and the audio ends up crap. It's all a bit pointless imo.

From my experience of seeing Metallica in the States i've found the audiences to be pretty lame. Lots of whooping and high fiving but not too much interaction with the band when compared to European audiences. The 'hits' always get the biggest cheers of the night and some more rarer numbers are met with :confused:!

I sound like i'm generalising American audiences,i'm sure some cities are better than others,but my own experience,mainly in the New York area,was pretty poor.

Not the first time he's done that either. At the DM launch gig at the o2 in London in 2008 he had a pop at people filming on their phones.

I used to take the odd pic or 2 at gigs,mainly indoor shows if i was up front and usually between songs. I don't even bother now,i just try and enjoy the show for what it is. It is a huge thing at shows now though. Some people seem to spend most of the gig looking at it through a viewfinder. I noticed it at Werchter a few weeks ago,people in front of me taking a pic,lowering the camera and then reviewing the pic. They were missing a huge amount of the show because of it.

Whilst there's some great pro-shot stuff on Youtube there's also a lot of crap too. Most phones can't handle the decibels at a metal show and the audio ends up crap. It's all a bit pointless imo.

From my experience of seeing Metallica in the States i've found the audiences to be pretty lame. Lots of whooping and high fiving but not too much interaction with the band when compared to European audiences. The 'hits' always get the biggest cheers of the night and some more rarer numbers are met with :confused:!

I sound like i'm generalising American audiences,i'm sure some cities are better than others,but my own experience,mainly in the New York area,was pretty poor.

Was at that gig as well, have a vague memory of it. The guy just doesn't like people recording on phones and he has a point. It is pretty stupid spending half the night recording a gig when you should be there enjoying what's happening in front of you.

And you're pretty much spot on regarding U.S. crowds. Been to gigs in Iowa, Oregon, Illinois, Colorado, Utah and Nebraska. Surprisingly enough the crowd in Utah really got into it, you could see the band react well to people singing at volume. Security vary though, cameras aren't allowed and they shout like hell at you if you take out a phone. They'll do f*ck all about a guy punching you repeatedly to get your spot on the rail though. C*nts.

Was at that gig as well, have a vague memory of it. The guy just doesn't like people recording on phones and he has a point.

If you listen to the version of 'Of Wolf and Man' recorded at that performance at the London Death Magnetic MetClub launch gig and released as a B Side to Broken, Beat and Scarred single you'll hear his full speech about this

"put the ****ing camera's away"
    Hetfield finally got to play his favourite Metallica song ever on Saturday night!:pac::pac:

No sympathy for him at all, personally speaking, he even put up a little fit before he had to play it onstage...and I'm like, come on, you're a billionaire because of this music...the song lasts four minutes...you'll never probably have to play it again!

No sympathy for him at all, personally speaking, he even put up a little fit before he had to play it onstage...and I'm like, come on, you're a billionaire because of this music...the song lasts four minutes...you'll never probably have to play it again!

I reckon he was taking the piss tbh. It's well known how much he dislikes that song and i think he was making a bigger deal about it than was real as he knew he'd get some banter from the hardcores on the rail about it.

I reckon he was taking the piss tbh. It's well known how much he dislikes that song and i think he was making a bigger deal about it than was real as he knew he'd get some banter from the hardcores on the rail about it.

Yeah, I thought he was jokin too. The song didn't sound too bad either!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

The Full 'Ride' show from Orion Festival :D:D

Yeah, I thought he was jokin too. The song didn't sound too bad either!

I personally enjoyed it myself

What's the story behind this song anyway? I've read conflicting reports on the matter. One I heard is that it was a "hit song" the band were forced to write for commercial reasons. I can imagine why James didn't like being forced to do anything...but it was never even released as a single, had little to no radio play, it was ignored....so, that being said, why include it at all if there was no commercial aspect to it?

I personally enjoyed it myself

What's the story behind this song anyway? I've read conflicting reports on the matter. One I heard is that it was a "hit song" the band were forced to write for commercial reasons. I can imagine why James didn't like being forced to do anything...but it was never even released as a single, had little to no radio play, it was ignored....so, that being said, why include it at all if there was no commercial aspect to it?

There's 1001 stories behind it. Bottom line he hates it and from what I heard he didn't want it on RTL at all, and it was Lars' call to include it.

I'd love to hear some of the demo stuff from the RTL/Puppets/Justice era, hear what songs never made the cut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,130 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

There's 1001 stories behind it. Bottom line he hates it and from what I heard he didn't want it on RTL at all, and it was Lars' call to include it.

I'd love to hear some of the demo stuff from the RTL/Puppets/Justice era, hear what songs never made the cut.
    I have heard them say there is NO spare material pre load era.

They say that, but I dunno, I'd like to think there is at least one....

I'd be surprised if there isn't a spare tune or 2 in Lars' vault. Given their aversion to looking backwards i reckon we may not hear it until the band call it a day.

I'd be surprised if there isn't a spare tune or 2 in Lars' vault. Given their aversion to looking backwards i reckon we may not hear it until the band call it a day.

There are at least three cover versions that have never seen the light of day, from the early 80s, recorded with the bands first line up. One of them was re recorded at least for Garage Days. But as originals they're either destroyed by now or buried somewhere with Lars art collection....

Even Guns N' Roses recorded 'Rock and Roll Cigarettes' with the 1993 line up and never released it...so everybody has a secret track....

There are at least three cover versions that have never seen the light of day, from the early 80s, recorded with the bands first line up. One of them was re recorded at least for Garage Days. But as originals they're either destroyed by now or buried somewhere with Lars art collection....

Let it Loose (Savage) and Sucking My Love (Diamond Head, who else eh?) were 2 songs that were done for early demos but I don't know if they ever did complete versions of them

Demos can be seen on YouTube

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭Degag

RE the Escape video, there is definately no escuse for not playing The Frayed Ends of Sanity ever (well apart from once or twice 20 odd years ago?) Awesome song!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Is Frayed Ends the only song from Kill, Ride, Master, Justice or Black not to have been played live yet? (Well since Rob joined anyway)

Advertisement