Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Is Frayed Ends the only song from Kill, Ride, Master, Justice or Black not to have been played live yet? (Well since Rob joined anyway)

Frayed is the only one not to have been played. I've a feeling that it may get busted out during the Mexico run. Like Escape,the band are well aware of how many fans want to hear it live and have been teasing the intro for years. Rob has apparently been at them a lot too in getting them to play it someday.

They've now played a huge chunk of their catalogue live,with only material from Load/Reload,some covers off Garage Inc and most of St. Anger yet to play. All of Death Magnetic has been played as well as Beyond Magnetic.

Roll on St. Anger in its entirety in 2013.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Cracking documentary here from the 1993 Milton keynes show, was at it and the end of tour gig in Belgium, great times indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

Re: Frayed. I've a feeling the ...Justice album may get a run through in entirety during the Mexico shows, I know there's something special in the pipeline for there. Would be pretty feckin' awesome to hear Dyers Eve live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

scudzilla wrote: »
    Cracking documentary here from the 1993 Milton keynes show, was at it and the end of tour gig in Belgium, great times indeed.

Great find, I can remember taping that when it was on telly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭Degag

Re: Frayed. I've a feeling the ...Justice album may get a run through in entirety during the Mexico shows, I know there's something special in the pipeline for there. Would be pretty feckin' awesome to hear Dyers Eve live.

They've played it live on quite a few occasions recently

• Advertisement

"Can the management keep its promise of no bad language on live radio?"

Hetfield: Fcuk Yeah Motherfcuckers!:pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

Degag wrote: »
    They've played it live on quite a few occasions recently

Oh I know they have, was just saying in terms of it being a more regular song in the setlist. Wishful thinking :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Oh I know they have, was just saying in terms of it being a more regular song in the setlist. Wishful thinking :pac:

I think Lars gets abuse though because even he realises he can't play the drums on this track, which is why they don't include it more

Probably the same with Frayed, they'll do it once (Lars will take hours of abuse from nerds online) and then they'll never do it again...or just very rarely

I suppose from ReLoad I'd love to hear 'Where the Wild Things Are' just because it completes the 'Newsted Trilogy'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,091 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I'd kill to see Dyers Eve in the flesh.

lord lucan wrote: »
    I have a weird scenario in my head where there's a stage with snakepit and a revolving backdrop from different stage shows,like MOP crosses and AJFA set with Doris and maybe even DM coffins.

Looks like i may not have been too far off with my thoughts on the new indoor set-up for Mexico and Canada.

522072_460192180666481_1608591994_n.jpg

395991_460339393985093_1861682855_n.jpg

• Advertisement

Oh my God I wanna go to Edmonton again so badly to see that gig. Please let me win the Lotto tonight

I class myself as a big Metallica fan, seen them first in 85, and about 25 times since, all over Europe. I've collected all there releases, bought t-shirts and other merch, in my younger days i waited for hours outside venues/hotels to meet them. Have a couple of Metallica Tattoo's, and now i'm gonna say something i NEVER thought i'd say......

.....I'm getting bored of them!!

Looking at recent setlists it's so boring (special gigs aside , Fillmore etc), they hardly ever change it round anymore, just changing the occasional cover. And why does every fcukin show have to end with Seek & Destroy??

I saw them 3 times on the First UK leg of the Black album tour and each time oi saw them they opened with a different song, highlight opening with Wherever i may Roam in Manchester. Even on the Load tour they mixed things up pretty good, but now it's just so fcukin predictable.

That singalong during Sandman was the final nail in the coffin for me, what the fcuk was James thinking of? Oh no, wait, Lulu may have been the final nail!!

I wholeheartedly agree Scudzilla. Went to see them at Werchter a few weeks ago and it was the first time in 20-odd shows that i left early. Started walking away from the front following Battery knowing the final 2 songs would be One and Seek and was just boarding a bus when i could hear Lars in the distance doing the Thank You's.

It's way too predictable. The line they use about playing to a festival crowd is crap too. I seen hundreds,if not thousands of Metallica tour t-shirts during the day spanning the last number of years. There wouldn't have been many there at their first show. They've played the festival circuit relentlessly over the last 9 years and many have seen them a number of times. The constant repetition will only drive them away,a core group who consistently shell out the €€'s to see them.

The Sandman singalong was frankly embarrassing. We get the whole 'Metallica Family' thing but it's not a Barney show. All the singalong stuff over the years has come from the fans,not forced or contrived ****e from the band. Whilst Sandman is far from my favourite song,that singalong sucked the life out of it. If it was your first show you'd be forgiven for wondering why everyone wasn't sitting down having a picnic and drinking Pimms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,130 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

i agree with scud and lucan too!! Life long, through thick and thin fan here and i have found myself cringing lately....

after watching download on tv the other night i texted my sister two words...
    "hetfield cringe.."

"download, metallica....download...metallica....down load and metallica...are family ...."

it reminded me of ali G rapping with al fayad...

I wholeheartedly agree Scudzilla.

Me too. However I have different reasons for being annoyed with them.
    They've played the festival circuit relentlessly over the last 9 years and many have seen them a number of times.

This really annoys me, I've only seen Metallica indoors twice, and that was during the 2009 UK tour. It's becomming increasingly rarer to see Metallica inside and in any kind of enviornment resembling a normal gig and it's annoying as **** because I don't want to see them as an outdoor band as part of a 'mini festival' or festival day. I just want to see them do a few indoor gigs. A lot of people talk about seeing Metallica at The Point in 99 and for me, Sheffield was the closest I got to that experience, that's what I want.

Ironically the recent Fillmore shows were almost the nearest they came to decent indoor shows in terms of small scale club shows
    The Sandman singalong was frankly embarrassing. We get the whole 'Metallica Family' thing but it's not a Barney show.

True, and the whole 'Metallica Family' thing is a complete joke, I'm not interested in this whole commoradity bull****...I've paid my ticket price (way over the odds with a load of support acts I couldn't give a fcuk about seeing) and I just want THEM to sing the songs, I don't want James to skip over 65% of Master of Puppets because he'd rather the audience sing to him. Same for the end of Memory Remains....don't need to hear "na na na na na na...." go on and on and on

Reminds me of something Lee Mack said about Robbie Williams in jest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,130 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

do we agree that they are finished as a creative force? (please don't think i'm one of the "metallica died when cliff died crew, i'm not)

I get the feeling these feelgood festival tours are about all we can expect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

The guitarist in my band was up until recently a drummer in a metal band.

He got kicked out for refusing to play St. Anger. This gave me a good chuckle. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Just reading that they're covering When A Blind Man Cries for a Deep Purple tribute album.

Just reading that they're covering When A Blind Man Cries for a Deep Purple tribute album.

Interesting track

I'd be interested to see Metallica's take on it. Start of it sounds vaguely like 'Who Wants to Live Forever' by Queen, interesting to see if the keyboard sound is kept.

Also read myself that there are more shift knobs up for grabs this Thursday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I absolutely love that track. It'll be interesting hearing James doing Ian Gillan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

True, and the whole 'Metallica Family' thing is a complete joke, I'm not interested in this whole commoradity bull****...I've paid my ticket price (way over the odds with a load of support acts I couldn't give a fcuk about seeing) and I just want THEM to sing the songs, I don't want James to skip over 65% of Master of Puppets because he'd rather the audience sing to him. Same for the end of Memory Remains....don't need to hear "na na na na na na...." go on and on and on

Once James quite drinking he started with all that how-does-it-feel-to-be-alive stuff.

Its a bit at odds with the whole Am I Evil, Chop your breakfast on a mirror, kill the first born pharaoh's son vibe.

I prefer angry James.

Interesting track

I'd be interested to see Metallica's take on it. Start of it sounds vaguely like 'Who Wants to Live Forever' by Queen, interesting to see if the keyboard sound is kept.
    Also read myself that there are more shift knobs up for grabs this Thursday

AFAIK, James is a classically trained pianist....? Although it's not ground-breaking, his ivory-tinkling can be heard on the intro to "Unforgiven 3" on Death Magnetic. Maybe he'll do it?

Maybe he'll do it?

Is that him? In that case, maybe he will...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

AFAIK, James is a classically trained pianist....? Although it's not ground-breaking, his ivory-tinkling can be heard on the intro to "Unforgiven 3" on Death Magnetic. Maybe he'll do it?

He is not. He had piano lessons for a few years starting at the age of nine, and some of the pieces he learned were classical music. He quit playing piano at 11 or 12, and picked it up again a few decades later on a small scale.

James Hetfield
    “Yeah. My mom had seen me over at a friend’s house just kind of start bashing on the piano, and she thought, oh, he’s gonna be a musician, OK, we’ll sign him up for piano. I did that for a couple of years and it was really a bit of a turn-off because it was learning classical pieces, stuff that I wasn’t listening to on the radio, you know?”

“I remember it was an older woman’s house and the cookies at the end was the big deal. But I am so glad it was somewhat forced upon me, because the act of left and right hand doing different things, and also singing at the same time, it gave me some inkling of what I do now. Singing and playing are somewhat easier than it probably could have been if I hadn’t have had piano.”

Kess73 wrote: »
    He is not. He had piano lessons for a few years starting at the age of nine, and some of the pieces he learned were classical music. He quite playing piano at 12 or 13, and picked it up again a few decades later on a small scale.

Thought he was......? He makes up for it in his guitar playing anyhoo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Thought he was......? He makes up for it in his guitar playing anyhoo.

If one wanted to be picky they could argue that he did learn some classical pieces in the couple of years he took lessons as a kid, but for me to be a classically trained pianist you need to be doing it for more than two or three years as a young kid.

He is a passable piano player nowadays but his style is not that of a classical leaning. But would agree that him quitting piano was a good thing as it led to guitar Hetfield.

So set lists are out for the first 2 Mexico shows, and like i said a few pages back, it's boring

1. Creeping Death
    2. For Whom the Bell Tolls
    3. Fuel
    4. Ride the Lightning
    5. One
    6. Cyanide
    7. The Memory Remains
    8. Wherever I May Roam
    9. Sad But True
    10. Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
    11. ...And Justice for All
    12. Fade to Black
    13. Master of Puppets
    14. Battery
    15. Nothing Else Matters
    16. Enter Sandman
    ENCORE
    17. Breadfan (1st Night)/Die, Die My Darling (2nd Night)
    18. Seek & Destroy

Exactly the same setlist apart from the 1 cover version before Seek

There used to be a time when Metallica mixed the setlist up every night, afraid those days seem dead and gone :mad:

So set lists are out for the first 2 Mexico shows, and like i said a few pages back, it's boring

1. Creeping Death
    2. For Whom the Bell Tolls
    3. Fuel
    4. Ride the Lightning
    5. One
    6. Cyanide
    7. The Memory Remains
    8. Wherever I May Roam
    9. Sad But True
    10. Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
    11. ...And Justice for All
    12. Fade to Black
    13. Master of Puppets
    14. Battery
    15. Nothing Else Matters
    16. Enter Sandman
    ENCORE
    17. Breadfan (1st Night)/Die, Die My Darling (2nd Night)
    18. Seek & Destroy

Exactly the same setlist apart from the 1 cover version before Seek

There used to be a time when Metallica mixed the setlist up every night, afraid those days seem dead and gone :mad:

I can't believe they finished the main set with NEM and ES and then played S&D as the last song. I didn't see that coming!

I can't believe they finished the main set with NEM and ES and then played S&D as the last song. I didn't see that coming!

They've done that for years.

• Advertisement

They've done that for years.

I think I might have to start adding smiley faces to my posts

Advertisement