Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Visual treats aside,i'm very disappointed with the setlist for nights 1 & 2. I appreciate they want to show off their new bells and whistles but they really didn't need to play the same stuff twice. The eternal optimist in me hopes they shake it up more over the remaining 6 nights.

They have basically ripped elements of most of their previous tours and put them into one big show. MOP crosses,Doris from AJFA,Snakepit from TBA and the coffins(with a twist) from DM. A couple of new ideas,a huge electric chair and a giant Metal Up Your Ass toilet,and a new twist on the intro to One. To add to the cheese factor,they've even brought back the falling towers and guy in flames from the Load era!:pac:

This video shows most of the visual stuff from the new show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭gerocks

Can't wait for the Deep Purple cover! Worst thing I've seen mentioned over the last few pages was 'shift knobs'. I know we all like different things about the band but 'shift knobs'? WTF? More music, if this means less touring, so be it. And less bloody tatt too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

gerocks wrote: »
    Can't wait for the Deep Purple cover! Worst thing I've seen mentioned over the last few pages was 'shift knobs'. I know we all like different things about the band but 'shift knobs'? WTF? More music, if this means less touring, so be it. And less bloody tatt too.

Unfortunately in this day and age, with digital downloading, there's way more money to be made on touring, and if they do a 3 month stint, playing extremely large venues, then the cash hungry beast they've become kicks in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

If they are filming these gigs it would explain why the set list isn't changing. Maybe they want to be able to pick the best version of the 6 or so takes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

These are basically rehearsals for the 2 Canadian shows which will be filmed for the 3d movie. Hence why setlists are practically identical.. everything is scripted. Once over they go into studio for new album coming out late 2013/early 2014

• Advertisement

scudzilla wrote: »
    So set lists are out for the first 2 Mexico shows, and like i said a few pages back, it's boring

1. Creeping Death
    2. For Whom the Bell Tolls
    3. Fuel
    4. Ride the Lightning
    5. One
    6. Cyanide
    7. The Memory Remains
    8. Wherever I May Roam
    9. Sad But True
    10. Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
    11. ...And Justice for All
    12. Fade to Black
    13. Master of Puppets
    14. Battery
    15. Nothing Else Matters
    16. Enter Sandman
    ENCORE
    17. Breadfan (1st Night)/Die, Die My Darling (2nd Night)
    18. Seek & Destroy

Exactly the same setlist apart from the 1 cover version before Seek

There used to be a time when Metallica mixed the setlist up every night, afraid those days seem dead and gone :mad:

1. Creeping Death
    2. For Whom the Bell Tolls
    3. Fuel
    4. Ride the Lightning
    5. One
    6. Cyanide
    7. The Memory Remains
    8. Of Wolf & Man
    9. Sad But True
    10. Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
    11. ...And Justice for All
    12. Fade to Black
    13. Master of Puppets
    14. Battery
    15. Nothing Else Matters
    16. Enter Sandman
    Encore
    17. Last Caress
    18. Seek & Destroy

Wow, 2 changes for last night, Wolf in for Roam and Last Caress as the cover.

Never have i known Metallica to play consecutive shows at the same venue and only change 4 songs in total!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

And only 5 days of it left. Clearly gearing up for the Canada/movie filming shows.

Mushy wrote: »
    And only 5 days of it left. Clearly gearing up for the Canada/movie filming shows.

So we know what the set list will be for a 3D movie that's months (+) away from a release.

Pisses me off no end when a band with Metallica's back catalogue are just continually playing it safe.

Look at Springsteen on his current tour, changes his setlist EVERY night, takes requests from fans and recieving rave reviews from every corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

We know the soundtrack for the movie. Lars said earlier this week that there are 3 months of extra filming to be completed for whatever story/concept will accompany it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I think the Mexico stuff is more of a holiday for them, and the soundcrew and stage hands must love the "kick back and relax" attitude of not having to build a new rig every night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,179 ✭✭✭✭briany

ush wrote: »
    Once James quite drinking he started with all that how-does-it-feel-to-be-alive stuff.

Its a bit at odds with the whole Am I Evil, Chop your breakfast on a mirror, kill the first born pharaoh's son vibe.

I prefer angry James.

I think that the fans almost unanimously like James better back when he was on the drink and saying things like "Excuse me, I've got an announcement to make. We've come here to KICK YOR AAAAAAASSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!". His wife and kids are probably glad of the glad of the relative normality that sober James brings though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

briany wrote: »
    I think that the fans almost unanimously like James better back when he was on the drink and saying things like "Excuse me, I've got an announcement to make. We've come here to KICK YOR AAAAAAASSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!". His wife and kids are probably glad of the glad of the relative normality that sober James brings though.

He's gone from this:

to this:

I miss the old James.:(

As for the current gigs in Mexico,watch out for Metallica:The Cabaret,coming to a Vegas hotel for a 100 night residency next year.

I feel sorry for the die hards going to multiple nights,must be like groundhog day for them. They really need to start shaking up the setlist,there's no excuse for it with the vast catalogue they have. They've played nearly everywhere on the planet at this stage,there can't be many left who haven't heard Sandman and NEM at this stage.

lord lucan wrote: »

As for the current gigs in Mexico,watch out for Metallica:The Cabaret,coming to a Vegas hotel for a 100 night residency next year.

I feel sorry for the die hards going to multiple nights,must be like groundhog day for them. They really need to start shaking up the setlist,there's no excuse for it with the vast catalogue they have. They've played nearly everywhere on the planet at this stage,there can't be many left who haven't heard Sandman and NEM at this stage.

We all miss the old James but, if you look at the usenet archives on Google Groups, in the Met newsgroup, people have been complaining that he's not the same since about 1991. If they're right, the old James went away a long long time ago and probably isn't coming back.

The setlist could do with a shake up. Setlists always can I think but for each die hard that comes to a gig there's gonna be at least one casual type fan who would be pretty annoyed if they didn't put in their signature songs. Some people never get tired of hearing a given song. I'm not one of those people. However, fair enough to those that are and they should also be accommodated. To be fair to Metallica, they have listened to the clamour for various choice cuts over the years and put them in here and there which is more than some similarly massive bands would feel obligated to do. A band like AC/DC, a band I love, on the other hand, neeeever change their setlist except to insert a couple of tunes from the album they're touring on. How I'd love to see AC/DC kick off a gig nowadays with Bedlam in Belgium or Kicked in the Teeth but I accept that it'll never happen. :( People still flocked to see them last time around though, myself included, vanilla set or no. Wiki says it was the third highest grossing of all time. Don't know if that's true but I'd well believe it.

I can't believe they're using the 'roade on fire' thing again. Has it really got that bad that to try and make the shows seem interesting again, they've resorted to a gimmick from 15 years ago?

I can't believe they're using the 'roade on fire' thing again. Has it really got that bad that to try and make the shows seem interesting again, they've resorted to a gimmick from 15 years ago?

Are they using that again? That was a really cool stunt back in it's time. It was doubly cool because at that time, and maybe especially in the early days of that tour, a good amount of the audience thought they were seeing a genuine accident, creating panic. Now I'm sure the stories from camp Met about how many people were freaking out is exaggerated but still.

Anyway, with all these callbacks they'd want to start spiking JH's ginger tea with Jager too. Maybe tell Lars there's no lime diet cokes left and when he goes charging through the door looking for the tour manager have 2 or 3 roadies around the corner to hold him down, paint the top of his head with a strong epoxy and slap a Justice era mullet wig on him.

lord lucan wrote: »

He's gone from this:

to this:

Oh man, that Sandman clip....
    That's one of the corniest things I've ever seen.
    I'm not one for this "old James" stuff, everyone moves on as they get older but surely he realises that he's making an arse of himself.

I'm at the head of the queue of people these days who think Metallica have gone to the dogs recently but fair's fair, their cover of When a Blind Man Cries for the Deep Purple tribute album is pretty good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

I'm at the head of the queue of people these days who think Metallica have gone to the dogs recently but fair's fair, their cover of When a Blind Man Cries for the Deep Purple tribute album is pretty good.

It's bloody brilliant...............apart from the ending.

It's not bad! I'll get the classic rock mag when it's out. Love the "machine head" album. "maybe I'm a Leo" & "highway star" are my faves!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

dunno, james's voice seems slightly sharp or something. That was true of DM as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Not a patch on the original version of the song, but still a pretty good version.

I fcukin love Corey Taylor

scudzilla wrote: »

On the other hand, I hate Trivium

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Start of that Deep Purple number has shades of Bleeding Me in it....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,130 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

seachto7 wrote: »
    Start of that Deep Purple number has shades of Bleeding Me in it....
    I thought that and then realised there was shades of deep purple in bleeding me!

I hope Metallica actually consider doing a scaled down indoor gig for their next European jaunts, especially in the UK and Ireland...I would really like to see in the round again, but I would also like to see more indoor shows because I just can't abide the sound outdoors unless its a really good system

Is it just me or is the Metallica website down? I can't get onto it....

I hope Metallica actually consider doing a scaled down indoor gig for their next European jaunts, especially in the UK and Ireland...I would really like to see in the round again, but I would also like to see more indoor shows because I just can't abide the sound outdoors unless its a really good system

+ 1 GAZILLION BILLION TRILLION. I hate outdoor gigs in this country, especially when we are subject to cr*p weather!

Is it just me or is the Metallica website down? I can't get onto it....

Nope. Works fine for me.

• Advertisement

+ 1 GAZILLION BILLION TRILLION. I hate outdoor gigs in this country, especially when we are subject to cr*p weather!

I'm at the stage now where Metallica could play in my living room and I'd probably go upstairs and read a book. Their shows have become so predictable and boring these days that I've have no interest in going to see them indoors, outdoors wherever.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still a fan and would be first in the queue to buy an new album when they release the next one but live, I've no interest.

Advertisement