Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Metallica plan their Raiders comeback gig, with Bob Rock on bass

Notice how Rock suggests they use Robert Trujilo to play bass during this gig, but they're reluctant to do so, because he hasn't been "officially" selected but they all know he's going to be the new bassist

they really hazed Rock

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

This will have to do for now! In fairness,just seeing Hetfield & Mustaine playing side by side is amazing!

A better version.

06jun2210_pic03.jpg

36131_404347055263_10212595263_4896021_8220576_n.jpg

36131_404347065263_10212595263_4896022_4475948_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

lord lucan wrote: »
    06jun2210_pic03.jpg

Well, it looks like we've nothing to complain about anymore, they're all friends....oh well

Maybe this will lead to them making some great music together. An album featuring all the skills and writing of the Big Four on one disc.....

Well, it looks like we've nothing to complain about anymore, they're all friends....oh well

Maybe this will lead to them making some great music together. An album featuring all the skills and writing of the Big Four on one disc.....

It'll never be that easy,the conspiracy theorists are already off because Araya/King and Hanneman didn't play on stage even though they were there!:pac:

It'll never be that easy,the conspiracy theorists are already off because Araya/King and Hanneman didn't play on stage even though they were there!:pac:

I did find that strange, I presume that's because they're purists....in the sense that Slayer's guitarists can never be seen doing anything even slightly mainstream because that's not the Slayer way

That, or they were booked so tightly, that they only just managed to rehearse their own material...the likelihood of them learning newer, or older Diamond Head, material was never going to happen because they just didn't have the time
    EDIT: Just checked their tour roster and sure enough they had to go to Hellfest in-between two Sonisphere's. All that travelling probably just didn't give them any time to learn new parts

On the other hand, maybe they don't like Diamond Head, and don't wish to acknowledge their musical influence publicly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭ticketsthere

Slayer not getting up for this event has made them the biggest bitches of the lot as far as I’m concerned and I love their music. Fair enough they may not want to get on stage with old nemesis and let the nostalgia flow but if that’s how they feel, then they shouldn’t have done the tour in the first place.

Fair play to Mustaine and Hetfield, those guys looked like they were having a blast! Never in my life thought I'd see them hug!!

PLAYBOY: You're happily married, the father of two, you've been to therapy. You even wrote a love song. Can you still find the dark spot?
    HETFIELD: I know it's there, and how it got there. I can visit it and leave again. It's a dark spot you can't wash off.

Just listening to the Black album, doing some reading, and I discovered this interview with Metallica I'd never read before. It was published in April 2001 and as far as I'm aware Newsted left the band in January 2001...that's according to what I remember and what is written on Wikipedia

Anyway, here is the most interesting two pages...this is essentially St Anger and Some Kind Of Monster in the making...this is where it started....

http://web.archive.org/web/20071205015546/http://geocities.com/hetfieldinter/metplayboy8.htm

http://web.archive.org/web/20070820142637/geocities.com/hetfieldinter/metplayboy9.htm
    PLAYBOY: But he could respect you by letting you release the album?
    NEWSTED: We're getting really close to some things we shouldn't be talking about. I would like him to see that this music is truly a part of me, like his child is a part of him.
    PLAYBOY: What did James say when you told him that you wanted to release the album?
    NEWSTED: I won't go there. We have to change the subject.
    HETFIELD: Where would it end? Does he start touring with it? Does he sell t-shirts? Is it his band? Thats the part I don't like. It's like cheating on your wife in a way. Married to each other.
    PLAYBOY: So what is Jason supposed to do during the hiatus?
    HETFIELD: I don't ****ing know. I'm not his travel agent.
    HAMMETT: I just hope we can survive this in one piece without tearing each other's ****ing throats out.
    PLAYBOY: Lars, do you think that Jason should be able to release his album?
    ULRICH: I wouldn't be able to look him in the eye and go, "You can't put that record out." That's not who I am as a person. That's pretty much all I have to say. I just can't get caught up in these meltdowns. I've got some issues in my family life, with my wife, that are a little more weighty than, like, whatever James Hetfield and Jason Newsted are bickering over.
    HAMMETT: I've spoken with Jason for hours on end. I'm upset for him. James demands loyalty and unity, and I respect that, but I don't think he realizes the sequence of events he's putting into play. Jason eats, sleeps and breathes music. I think it's morally wrong to keep someone away from what keeps him happy. That album will always be available in some format - whether it's on Napster or in stores, people are going to hear it.
    ULRICH: That's a great question. It's an interesting time to interview the four of us separately. You're hearing people get things off their chest - almost using you as the middleman. Like, James and Jason won't call each other, so they're having a conversation through you.
    PLAYBOY: How much longer can the band go on, given how physical the music is?
    NEWSTED: It's limited. People won't ever see me weak, won't ever see me just standing there onstage. When the day comes that I cannot perform, I will bow out. That's it.
    HETFIELD: A gray mullet would look all right.
    PLAYBOY: Are there any tricks to writing a Metallica song?
    NEWSTED: About 90 percent of Metallica songs are in E minor, because of James' vocal range is limited - although he's developed by leaps and bounds.
    PLAYBOY: Any chance Metallica will follow the rap-metal direction?
    NEWSTED: No. No rap in Metallica.
    ULRICH: The chances of James Hetfield going in a rap direction are probably between zero and minus one.
    PLAYBOY: From your perspective as a Metallica fan, Jason, it must be interesting to see James continue to evolve since Nothing Else Matters.
    NEWSTED: Where there was darkness before, now thers's a lot of light, since James' children entered the picture. The darkness will always be there, because of the damage done, but there's a big bright spot now.

• Advertisement

Just another little funny video I found, mainly because it's actually the four members hanging out around Christmas 1995 at Lars house, recording the Load album. I've never seen footage of this time period with the band and come to think about it it's also rare to see them all share time together off stage like this.

Just got myself a beach ball, thankfully, got it off EBay - it's originally from the Russian show. The likelihood of me hitting the beach with it though is minimal.

Just got myself a beach ball, thankfully, got it off EBay - it's originally from the Russian show. The likelihood of me hitting the beach with it though is minimal.

I'd never bother myself tbh,just wouldn't be the same if i hadn't caught it myself.

I'd never bother myself tbh,just wouldn't be the same if i hadn't caught it myself.

I went to Sheffield, spent hours on the train, tried and failed to interview the band...stood on the floor during the concert and just left before the last song thinking "nothing unusual could happen now, I'm going to my Hotel"

And then I found out they dropped the balls!

Didn't do it again when I saw them later that year in Dublin in August...I was really pissed

This video is credited as 1986, which means, it has to have been taken on the band's Japanese Tour after Cliff's death because it features what is possibly the first interview Jason Newsted ever "gave" alongside Metallica (I cannot explain why the interview was conducted in a school though)

Thanks to MTV Germany for this

Check out Jason's hair! Jesus Christ:eek:

Anyone any idea what these other dates in September could be, and where they could be, do the band plan on playing somewhere in Thailand or something....or Malaysia...they haven't played locations like that since 1992/3 so I presume that's the plan before they hit Japan and Australia and New Zealand?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,453 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Anyone any idea what these other dates in September could be, and where they could be, do the band plan on playing somewhere in Thailand or something....or Malaysia...they haven't played locations like that since 1992/3 so I presume that's the plan before they hit Japan and Australia and New Zealand?

Sat 4 Sep 2010- Marlay Park Dublin Ireland

That was the rumour going around a while back but do the irish public really need to pay 70 euros to see a band playing in ireland for the 5th time in 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

PTH2009 wrote: »

That was the rumour going around a while back but do the irish public really need to pay 70 euros to see a band playing in ireland for the 5th time in 3 years.

And in Marley Park:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

PTH2009 wrote: »

I dont need to. But I definitely WANT to.

I dont need to. But I definitely WANT to.

Same here. But I can't see it happening unless they announce it next week. They wouldn't really be giving themselves enough time to sell out the gig and they'd want to announce Pearl Jam as support or something to make it sell lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Id say it will be the Pacific Ring, and Far East. You might even get a date in somewhere like South Africa. It is also possible that Kuala Lumpur may be hit up.

I would sincerely doubt that Dublin will be on the list of dates. Europe has been attended on no less then 7 occasions in the current tour. Id say the dates will be far flung places, with perhaps a shock date in India or something.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=142562

Well Metallica have listened to their fans and made a gig available in Christchurch

Having said that, I feel sorry for these people, who obviously couldn't wait

http://www.dailymusicguide.com/MusicNews/metallica-new-zealand-south-island-14052010-1213.aspx

Christchurch, New Zealand . . .Sometimes You Do Get What You Want!
    7/4/2010 [ back ]

Show added on September 22
    You asked (okay, demanded!) and we heard ya. When we got wind of the massive petitions for us to come to Christchurch, New Zealand we just had to check it out . . . and wow, the number of requests were overwhelming! So, the moral of the story is to be careful what you wish for . . . because 'Tallica is coming to your town on September 22 at CBS Canterbury Arena!
    Now here's the catch - our production team scoped it out over the last couple of weeks and no matter how hard we tried to re-configure it, the bottom line is the CBS Canterbury Arena is just not equipped to handle the in the round "Death Magnetic" show that we've been carting around the world on this tour. That's not going to stop us, but we wanted to let you know that we will not be able to bring the full set up that you may have seen in photos on the site or will see if you happen to hit another show in New Zealand or Australia. It's gonna be us and YOU old-school "club style" in an arena making a whole lot of noise together, and that's what counts.

Tickets go on sale July 15 at 9:00 AM with the MyTKT pre-sale starting July 13 at noon. Fan Club members should check www.metclub.com for information about a special pre-sale for them starting on July 9.

Thanks for all the love and support . . . see you in September!

Looks like any chance of an indoor show in Dublin is out the window ! They have made it clear that the venue cannot cater for the Death Magnetic show, and will clearly do the style of show which we saw in 2008 and 2006 in Dublin. While I never expected them to return, it makes it clear why Ireland was one of the few countries they visited which didnt get an indoor show. Again, our concert infrastructure is insufficient.

Het-Field wrote: »
    While I never expected them to return, it makes it clear why Ireland was one of the few countries they visited which didn't get an indoor show.

Granted, but having said that, why was no big fuss made about Ireland not having "in the round" as opposed to Christchurch and Japan

I mean, there was no effort made to disguise the fact that this tour would be a little different from the concert experience elsewhere in the world, and yet unlike elsewhere both Metallica and the promoter went along with booking the concert without mentioning anything. This seems a little odd to me.

You might not think we missed out on much, but the in the round was a much more fulfilling stage experience for the fan, and included the support bands as well. Plus they didn't drop Beach Balls in Dublin!

Granted, but having said that, why was no big fuss made about Ireland not having "in the round" as opposed to Christchurch and Japan

I mean, there was no effort made to disguise the fact that this tour would be a little different from the concert experience elsewhere in the world, and yet unlike elsewhere both Metallica and the promoter went along with booking the concert without mentioning anything. This seems a little odd to me.

You might not think we missed out on much, but the in the round was a much more fulfilling stage experience for the fan, and included the support bands as well. Plus they didn't drop Beach Balls in Dublin!

Sure I was there in the 02 in London in March 2009 ! The Dublin show was not remotely comparable. In London, I met friends from the Liberal Democrats, popped out to West Ham to get some club merchandise, returned to my hotel, had a meal, and the jumped in a Taxi to the 02 with my buddy, and took our seats during Machine Heads set, while droping in and out for tea and coffee until the main event started.

In Dublin, between bouts of rain, I waited on the concrete leading up to Marley Park for hours, occasionally getting pissed on between showers. I then entered waited for hours for Metallica, was ripped off by Subway and Bagel Factory. After a great set by Metallica, I was then fourced to wait two hours for a taxi to take me into town as my legs were shot.

The indoor show was superb. Not only the beachballs, but the lasers during TWJYL kicked ass.

Het-Field wrote: »
    The indoor show was superb. Not only the beachballs, but the lasers during TWJYL kicked ass.

Saw them in Sheffield in Feb 2009, they were cool

Plus we got 'The Wait'

Plus we got 'The Wait'

So did Het-Field at Marley Park!:pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

everybody gets "the wait" at a marley park gig. Both before and afterwards - I always attribute that to the poor infrastructure and terrible location though :p

Dear Friends:
    We are so psyched to add a second show in Christchurch, New Zealand at CBS Canterbury Arena on September 21...thanks again for demanding that we visit you there!!

Now to the real reason we're here taking up space on this site...we also want to announce that all of our play dates have now filled up with the addition of this show...that's right boys and girls, this will be the last date added to the World Magnetic Tour! So if you're waiting for us to come to the Polar Ice Caps, your undiscovered planet or even your basement, sorry, this is as good at it gets.

It has been a very long, and most amazing run. The number of shows played depends on when you start counting. We are gonna go with what the boys in the band say, 'cuz they have been out on the road more or less continuously since May of 2008 and that brings us up to a total of 212 shows in 153 cities. Each and every one of them has been memorable and special and we thank you for that. This is where we could spew a bunch of crazy numbers at you...you know the 2.3 million tickets sold, 300 million miles traveled, 3,000 pounds of bacon consumed "shtick," but you don't care about that stuff and frankly neither do we. What we DO care about is letting you know the immense gratitude we feel for all of your love and support over these past two and half years. When we embarked on this "magnetic" journey, none of us ever, in our wildest dreams, imagined how truly incredible it would be and it's all because of hanging out with YOU!

It's obviously not over just yet, so let's not get too sappy here...we're off to Australia, New Zealand and Japan in the Fall for what promises to be some of the loudest, craziest, most rocking shows!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Are metallica planning on releasing a follow up to death magnetic? Or will they be going into semi retirement coupled with an odd tour after this tour finishes?

Advertisement