Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

I'm at the stage now where Metallica could play in my living room and I'd probably go upstairs and read a book. Their shows have become so predictable and boring these days that I've have no interest in going to see them indoors, outdoors wherever.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still a fan and would be first in the queue to buy an new album when they release the next one but live, I've no interest.

I'm the exact opposite. I think they're still brilliant live. Their output on cd has waned in recent years, with DM a return to form of sorts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

I'd prefer a normal stage set than in the round. I seen in the round once and I wasn't mad on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I'm the exact opposite. I think they're still brilliant live. Their output on cd has waned in recent years, with DM a return to form of sorts.

Do you not get bored with the last few songs of the main set always being Enter Sandman and Nothing Else Matters (with the recent exception of the Black Album and RTL gigs) and them always finishing with S&D?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,130 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

i'm a lifelong fan, and to be honest i wouldn't be pushed on seeing them again. They really seem hell bent on tour gimicks these days. Funny thing is there is endless possibilities of set lists from their discography that would be magic to see live.

Do you not get bored with the last few songs of the main set always being Enter Sandman and Nothing Else Matters (with the recent exception of the Black Album and RTL gigs) and them always finishing with S&D?

No cos, as those songs are their most popular, thery're bound to leave them till the end of the setlist.

If ye want the songs in a different order, you could always use yer iPod????

• Advertisement

If ye want the songs in a different order, you could always use yer iPod????

At a gig? Please explain.
    No cos, as those songs are their most popular, thery're bound to leave them till the end of the setlist.

And this proves the point I was making earlier about the gigs being boring and predictable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Couldn't agree more. The setlists from the 3 anniversary shows (1, 2, 3 & 4) are amazing in that they're composed of different stuff every night (though I think they still ended with S&D each time). I'd love metallica take on that approach of really mixing up the setlist (like Pearl Jam, for example), rather than sticking to the same set bar one or two songs for the entire tour.They're at the age now where pretty much every fan that goes to their shows will have seen them a hatful of times, so they can afford to be a bit ambitious rather than stick to the hits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I need to throw my two cents in here

As another big fan of Metallica I think that we have been literally spoiled for choice in this part of the world with Metallica performances.

Asides from the fact that Metallica have performed numerous times in a multitude of venues and locations across Continental Europe every year running (except 2005) since their "comeback" of sorts in 2003, Metallica have performed in Dublin no less than 5 times and also performed in Belfast twice. This is on top of the Metallica Indoor Tour of the UK in 2009 and their appearances as headliners at festivals such as Sonisphere, Leeds, Reading and Download - all of which are/were fairly heavily attended by Irish fans.

That means, since 2003, Irish fans have had literally the best chance to see Metallica live - more than any other fans on the planet really - and this has left us a little burned out in many respects for their performances. That's not counting all the other performances - their 1996 UK tour, their appearances at Top Hat in 1988 etc....they have been pretty generous with their time here

It would be tough going to meet some 16 year old kid right now in Dublin who has never seen Metallica and is desperate to do so. I'm sure he or she exists, but it's tough going, because it's not for lack of trying.

I agree that Metallica have never really spiced up their setlist but their constant touring is designed so that everyone gets to see the favorites...I think Metallica performing songs like Poor Man's Lyric, I Disappear, Damage Inc and The Thing That Should Not Be on a regular basis would drive the casual fans away....as much of a treat as it would be for hardcore fans

But don't forget, in 2006, we got 'The God That Failed' which (at the time) was a fairly rare song to hear live - they also played 'King Nothing' that night too if memory serves me correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,899 ✭✭✭KH25

I need to throw my two cents in here

As another big fan of Metallica I think that we have been literally spoiled for choice in this part of the world with Metallica performances.

Asides from the fact that Metallica have performed numerous times in a multitude of venues and locations across Continental Europe every year running (except 2005) since their "comeback" of sorts in 2003, Metallica have performed in Dublin no less than 5 times and also performed in Belfast twice. This is on top of the Metallica Indoor Tour of the UK in 2009 and their appearances as headliners at festivals such as Sonisphere, Leeds, Reading and Download - all of which are/were fairly heavily attended by Irish fans.

That means, since 2003, Irish fans have had literally the best chance to see Metallica live - more than any other fans on the planet really - and this has left us a little burned out in many respects for their performances. That's not counting all the other performances - their 1996 UK tour, their appearances at Top Hat in 1988 etc....they have been pretty generous with their time here

It would be tough going to meet some 16 year old kid right now in Dublin who has never seen Metallica and is desperate to do so. I'm sure he or she exists, but it's tough going, because it's not for lack of trying.

I agree that Metallica have never really spiced up their setlist but their constant touring is designed so that everyone gets to see the favorites...I think Metallica performing songs like Poor Man's Lyric, I Disappear, Damage Inc and The Thing That Should Not Be on a regular basis would drive the casual fans away....as much of a treat as it would be for hardcore fans

But don't forget, in 2006, we got 'The God That Failed' which (at the time) was a fairly rare song to hear live - they also played 'King Nothing' that night too if memory serves me correctly.

Low Man's Lyric you mean :D and no King nothing was played in 2004, not 2006. But God that failed was indeed 2006.

KH25 wrote: »
    Low Man's Lyric you mean :D and no King nothing was played in 2004, not 2006. But God that failed was indeed 2006.

Poor Man's Lyric is code for everything off St. Anger

• Advertisement

KH25 wrote: »

Yes I see what I did there. I've been to too many shows, they all blur together...even if the bloody set list remains the same....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I'd love to see them do an "unplugged" set, or a set of acoustic/semi acoustic songs that lend themselves well to acoustic instruments.
    To Live is To Die, Fade to Black, Orion would all sound cool reworked on acoustic instruments....Would be a good excuse to throw in Mama Said and the likes too....

seachto7 wrote: »
    I'd love to see them do an "unplugged" set, or a set of acoustic/semi acoustic songs that lend themselves well to acoustic instruments.
    To Live is To Die, Fade to Black, Orion would all sound cool reworked on acoustic instruments....Would be a good excuse to throw in Mama Said and the likes too....

They've done the Neil Young Bridge School Benefit gigs a few times. Here's one song from last years

You should also check out the Golden Unplugged show from 1997, it was also a bootleg, part of a Radio show dubbed "Don't Call Us, We'll Call You" and featuring the memorable tune "All I Want for Christmas is my ReLoad Album, my ReLoad Album, My Reload Album"

I remember they did 'Fade to Black' on that show and they also used the version of Tuesday's Gone from that taping for Garage Inc

cool, will dig into them. I think at this stage, an acoustic live set would be great. I am kind of sorry I didn't go see Metallica in the last 10 years just for old times sake, especially on the DM tour. I saw them in 92, and 96. I think I preferred the 96 gig, bar the eejit on the rope ladder in flames. James' vocals were way better and the Load stuff, to me, was great live.
    I kind of got sick of the same set list most of the time over the last 10 years. I'm sick of hearing Enter Sandman, Seek and Destroy and Creeping Death live. I should have gone to see them do the entire MOP album....

So, which dvd, Mexico or Nimes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Nimes is much better,Mexico is shot like one big MTV video with constant camera angle changes and panning all over the place,makes it very difficult to watch.

cool, will dig into them. I think at this stage, an acoustic live set would be great. I am kind of sorry I didn't go see Metallica in the last 10 years just for old times sake, especially on the DM tour. I saw them in 92, and 96. I think I preferred the 96 gig, bar the eejit on the rope ladder in flames. James' vocals were way better and the Load stuff, to me, was great live.
    I kind of got sick of the same set list most of the time over the last 10 years. I'm sick of hearing Enter Sandman, Seek and Destroy and Creeping Death live. I should have gone to see them do the entire MOP album....

You missed one hell of a show.

Yeah, I'll have to check out a youtube vid of it to keep me happy :(

Yeah, I'll have to check out a youtube vid of it to keep me happy :(

Check out the clip of "Leper Messiah" where James falls flat on his face!! :D

You missed one hell of a show.

You did actually. For me, 2009 was the pinnacle, because the few sets I saw were so different in variety and meaning.

2006 though was very special, the tracks played outside of MOP were rare in their own right at the time (well, one or two) and MOP was just a brilliant, brilliant album that completely stands the test of time.

• Advertisement

Anybody have this or know where I can download, would love to get this, was there :)

Anybody got the ones for Dublin in '86 or '88?

Thanks

Anybody have this or know where I can download, would love to get this, was there :)

Anybody got the ones for Dublin in '86 or '88?

Thanks

I had it at home somewhere years ago. Dunno where it is now? Was a great gig - 'twas my first 'Tallica gig.

You might be able to find it by doing a search online?

Tried searching online, found links but they went nowhere... Will have to have a look again.

the 1992 gig was my first ever gig, f**king amazing. I also had the bootleg on casette but god knows where it is now ...

Tried searching online, found links but they went nowhere... Will have to have a look again.

the 1992 gig was my first ever gig, f**king amazing. I also had the bootleg on casette but god knows where it is now ...

Try the Sound Cellar or there's another shop in Temple Bar(who's name I can't think of right now!), where I think they sell bootlegs.....?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Great gig, second live gig I ever went to... I finally wore the t-shirt (the white 4-heads one) out 2 months ago after a good couple of decade's use. Actually, it's just one of the armpits, if I keep my hands by my side riverdance style, maybe I can still wear it? Rock! Anyway, if anyone finds the bootleg, please tip me off as to where to look.

Try the Sound Cellar or there's another shop in Temple Bar(who's name I can't think of right now!), where I think they sell bootlegs.....?

Think I know the one you talking about, on Wicklow street, ya have to go downstairs into it? Or Border records maybe? Havent been in music shops in ages :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

I do believe I have it somewhere. It's not the whole show there's a lot of missing bits and the quality is very ropey in parts. I'll have a dig through my DVD's, no promises!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

Or Border records maybe? Havent been in music shops in ages :)
    Borders (borderland records? Someone remind me of the name please.) is closed and now a sweet shop is in it's place, the other place around the corner from it in Merchants Arch stock some bootlegs also, they've moved their stuff upstairs now I think..

I do believe I have it somewhere. It's not the whole show there's a lot of missing bits and the quality is very ropey in parts. I'll have a dig through my DVD's, no promises!

Oh man, you mean you have a video of it (or some of it), now that would be truly excellent.
    Please find it :)
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Numina wrote: »
    Borders (borderland records? Someone remind me of the name please.) is closed and now a sweet shop is in it's place, the other place around the corner from it in Merchants Arch stock some bootlegs also, they've moved their stuff upstairs now I think..

Borderline records,great little treasure trove back in the day.

I used to have that show on cassette,bought from the guy on O'Connell Bridge many moons ago. Can't find it now,would love to hear a bootleg of that show.

Advertisement