Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

I have the official 04 one up in my parents house if anyone's interested ,shoot us a pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,091 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Today's the anniversary of Cliff Burton. Legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Riddle101

It's Arthur's Day as well. But I've been calling it Cliff Day, shame I didn't have drink tonight though. I'd have had one in his honor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I have the official 04 one up in my parents house if anyone's interested ,shoot us a pm

Official bootleg? Isn't that a contradiction in terms....:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

they released the sound desk recordings after the show! you could download it from their website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,130 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Not if It's metallica doing the bootleg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

D.Q wrote: »
    they released the sound desk recordings after the show! you could download it from their website.

Oh yeah, through LiveMetallica, sure

I think it's still available to buy from there actually

What they said :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Call me cynical here but i've just copped on that the setlist for the Canadian gigs where they recorded the new DVD doesn't contain ANY cover versions, guess that's so they don't have to pay extra royalties as Metallica ALWAYS have a cover in the set

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

They don't need to do any covers live. In theory!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

Oh man, you mean you have a video of it (or some of it), now that would be truly excellent.
    Please find it :)
    Thanks

Sorry, I was mistaken. I have the 96 Point gig as a video bootleg. I don't think the 92 gig exists on video.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

scudzilla wrote: »
    Call me cynical here but i've just copped on that the setlist for the Canadian gigs where they recorded the new DVD doesn't contain ANY cover versions, guess that's so they don't have to pay extra royalties as Metallica ALWAYS have a cover in the set

I could be wrong here, but didn't the recent Black Album mini-tour have no covers in the setlist? Pretty sure when I saw them play that setlist in June that there was no cover. I think the encore was just Blackened, One (in the usual cover song slot) and Seek and Destroy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I could be wrong here, but didn't the recent Black Album mini-tour have no covers in the setlist? Pretty sure when I saw them play that setlist in June that there was no cover. I think the encore was just Blackened, One (in the usual cover song slot) and Seek and Destroy.

You're spot on,they ditched the covers for the European tour but they came back for the Mexico shows where One was played earlier in the set and the cover came before Seek.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

lord lucan wrote: »
    Borderline records,great little treasure trove back in the day.

I used to have that show on cassette,bought from the guy on O'Connell Bridge many moons ago. Can't find it now,would love to hear a bootleg of that show.

Wow just seen this post, Myself and a friend of mine used to always buy stuff off these guys. There was a place around the corner just down from the virgin megastore called Freebird, Them lads had LOADS of pirate tapes of gigs etc, Lots of good stuff bought in those places...

Wow just seen this post, Myself and a friend of mine used to always buy stuff off these guys. There was a place around the corner just down from the virgin megastore called Freebird, Them lads had LOADS of pirate tapes of gigs etc, Lots of good stuff bought in those places...

Freebird are sadly gone too,there's a bookies there now. It was one of a number of places where i used to pick up bootlegs and rare picture discs. Borderline,Freebird and Record Collector on Wicklow Street were the usual haunts.

A trip to one of them was usually followed by a visit to FM on Westmoreland street for band patches/pins or posters.

Freebird are sadly gone too,there's a bookies there now. It was one of a number of places where i used to pick up bootlegs and rare picture discs. Borderline,Freebird and Record Collector on Wicklow Street were the usual haunts.

A trip to one of them was usually followed by a visit to FM on Westmoreland street for band patches/pins or posters.

There's a freebird records stashed away on wicklow St now, through a doorway that brings you to a bookshop that you walk through to get to the music shop. I was in there just yesterday, they didn't seem to have much bootleg stuff, but its a lovely little shop, tons of vinyl. I wonder if its the same guys?

I remember FM too! used to gt all the cheap longsleve metallica and slayer tops there..that's gone donkeys years now...:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 578 ✭✭✭deeks

Metallica have unveiled details of their new live DVD.

MetallicaPA070721.jpgThe footage was shot in Canada at the band's two World Magnetic shows in Quebec City in Autumn 2009 and was shot by their long-time collaborator Wayne Isham.

"There are still some 'i's' being dotted and 't's' crossed, so we can't give you a name or fancy logo just yet, but we're pretty excited that for the first time we get to hold all the reins on a release from start to finish.," they wrote on their website.

The tracklisting, which was voted for by fans on Metallica's website, is as follows:

'That Was Just Your Life'?
    'The End Of The Line'?
    'The Four Horsemen'?
    'The Shortest Straw'?
    'One'?
    'Broken, Beat & Scarred'?
    'My Apocalypse'?
    'Sad But True'?
    'Welcome Home (Sanitarium)'?
    'The Judas Kiss'?
    'The Day That Never Comes'?
    'Master of Puppets'?
    'Battery'?
    'Nothing Else Matters'?
    'Enter Sandman'?
    'Killing Time'?
    'Whiplash'?
    'Seek & Destroy'

Bonus Songs?
    'For Whom the Bell Tolls'?
    'Holier Than Thou'?
    'Cyanide'?
    'Turn the Page'?
    'All Nightmare Long'?
    'Damage, Inc.'?
    'Breadfan'?
    'Phantom Lord'

Metallica guitarist Kirk Hammett recently confirmed that the metallers will start work on their new album, the follow-up to 2008's 'Death Magnetic', "soon".

"Right now, we're kind of preoccupied with dealing with this 3D movie that we shot up in Canada last month," he said. "But once we're done with that, we're going to start hunkering down and putting riffs together. That's all going to happen soon. When asked whether Rick Rubin would be on production duties again, he said: "I really don't have an answer about Rick Rubin, although his name certainly comes up."

From nme.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

That track list was voted for by fans??????

Kess73 wrote: »
    That track list was voted for by fans??????

Was thinking this too :confused: what fans? patethic set-list...same old crap... (im actually a big fan but sick of seeing the same set lists)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Was thinking this too :confused: what fans? patethic set-list...same old crap... (im actually a big fan but sick of seeing the same set lists)
    To be fair to the fans they were only given a choice of 2 set lists. It wasn't as I'd they could choose the songs. It was either the set list from night 1 or the set list from night 2.

I may actually get that DVD. I've great memories from that tour,3 dates in the US,2 in England and 2 up the north. The set-up was great and the band were in great form. They busted out a good few rarely played tracks,much more than they've done in the last couple of years. There's also My Apocalypse and The Judas Kiss off of DM which have been rarely played.

I just hope it's not done in that MTV-style were it's constantly cutting to different angles and effects,makes it very hard to watch.

incredible!! The chap has no idea what lies ahead! (or does he?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,179 ✭✭✭✭briany

I caught that Metal Evolution program on Sky Arts, coming in, late last night. It was covering the Thrash era and all the expected talking heads were on it giving their insights. Very interesting. It struck me how thrash metal came to the same fate as it's enemy hair metal, becoming big, then overblown and a parody of itself. Some bands like Exodus tried to adapt to shifting trends, regrettably, and some stayed the course, like Slayer.

Anyway, Metallica featured heavily. Lars Ulrich (surprise) was on there doing the talking for the band, talking about how the band got signed to Megaforce and then Elektra, as well as what motivated them to do the black album. Dave Lombardo said that when he heard the black album, he threw it down a flight of stairs. It almost sounds as if he disliked what Metallica were doing. :D

The program reminded me how puritanical fans of Thrash can be, or were. That if the music does not meet a certain set of criteria at all times, it cannot be considered as such. By the strictest sense then, Metallica were already past the Thrash label by the time of Ride the Lightning because they were incorporating acoustic things and slower tempos along with some pretty introspective lyrics. I wonder if hardcore fans freaked out (in a bad way) the first time they heard the FtB acoustic intro or did the they welcome the broadening of style?

The first big backlash that Metallica faced was when fans first heard FTB. The first accusations of sell out were leveled at them on hearing an acoustic number and to a a lesser degree on hearing an instrumental in Call of Ktulu. It was regarded by many as a betrayal of the trash movement.

Change seems to have always been something that's reviled in trash circles. It's fast and furious and nothing else. Anything else is selling out your trash roots. Even today you still see arguments between Metallica and Slayer fans about the respective directions the bands took. I love both bands and love that they both took different approaches and do what they felt comfortable with.

incredible!! The chap has no idea what lies ahead! (or does he?)

Check out this interview with Lars and James from 1983. It was recorded in a moving car and shows how tuned in they already were and how they saw the big picture. This was just after they'd ditched Mustaine and recruited Kirk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,179 ✭✭✭✭briany

The first big backlash that Metallica faced was when fans first heard FTB. The first accusations of sell out were leveled at them on hearing an acoustic number and to a a lesser degree on hearing an instrumental in Call of Ktulu. It was regarded by many as a betrayal of the trash movement.

Change seems to have always been something that's reviled in trash circles. It's fast and furious and nothing else. Anything else is selling out your trash roots. Even today you still see arguments between Metallica and Slayer fans about the respective directions the bands took. I love both bands and love that they both took different approaches and do what they felt comfortable with.

Fade to Black I can understand but Call of Ktulu? Really?! Even clean electrics were out :P. If you take it that a large huge influence on Thrash is NWOBHM, then there should be some room for slower paced pieces with a mood sometimes. At least, I wish some purists had seen it this way and not reacted so badly. I can understand Metallica wanting to do music that was outside of that box because, and forgive me for this, I think Thrash in it's purist form is a pretty 1D and boring form of music when experienced in large doses. Great energy and some of the early shows must have been amazing but nobody needs an aggressive speed-fest all the time.

briany wrote: »
    Fade to Black I can understand but Call of Ktulu? Really?! Even clean electrics were out :P. If you take it that a large huge influence on Thrash is NWOBHM, then there should be some room for slower paced pieces with a mood sometimes. At least, I wish some purists had seen it this way and not reacted so badly. I can understand Metallica wanting to do music that was outside of that box because, and forgive me for this, I think Thrash in it's purist form is a pretty 1D and boring form of music when experienced in large doses. Great energy and some of the early shows must have been amazing but nobody needs an aggressive speed-fest all the time.

I think that when thrash first started that it was all about the speed and ferociousness of the music. It appealed primarily to guys in their late teens,very similar in many ways to punk a few years previously. The whole idea of a band that was playing Whiplash and Metal Militia at 200mph suddenly using acoustic guitars and playing instrumentals was the antithesis of what 'the movement' was all about. It would be almost like The Sex Pistols recording a ballad in their heyday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

I think that when thrash first started that it was all about the speed and ferociousness of the music. It appealed primarily to guys in their late teens,very similar in many ways to punk a few years previously. The whole idea of a band that was playing Whiplash and Metal Militia at 200mph suddenly using acoustic guitars and playing instrumentals was the antithesis of what 'the movement' was all about. It would be almost like The Sex Pistols recording a ballad in their heyday.

I remember seeing an interview with James where he said a fan came up on stage during the "Lightning.." tour and spat on him, shouting "You wrote a ballad you f*cking sell out"

• Advertisement

Testament pretty much admitted that any ballad by any other thrash band was due to record company pressure to sound like metallica....

Advertisement