Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Testament pretty much admitted that any ballad by any other thrash band was due to record company pressure to sound like metallica....

True enough, but that's not just limited to Metal, most record companies will (at some point) pressure hard rocking bands to either do a cover version or a ballad in order to shift some extra thousand albums

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭xtradel

Testament pretty much admitted that any ballad by any other thrash band was due to record company pressure to sound like metallica....

Didnt they record as song called "The Ballad"....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

xtradel wrote: »
    Didnt they record as song called "The Ballad"....

They did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭briany

I remember seeing an interview with James where he said a fan came up on stage during the "Lightning.." tour and spat on him, shouting "You wrote a ballad you f*cking sell out"

Didn't a fan also come up to him and spit on him after the "One" video came out and accuse him of the same thing? He's been accused of selling out almost every step of the way. It's a wonder he's not covered in a sticky layer, dotted with lumps of chicken and little bits of apple skin by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,130 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

briany wrote: »
    Didn't a fan also come up to him and spit on him after the "One" video came out and accuse him of the same thing? He's been accused of selling out almost every step of the way. It's a wonder he's not covered in a sticky layer, dotted with lumps of chicken and little bits of apple skin by now.
    yeah i think Chris Jericho stomped on his metallica records after the black album!!

• Advertisement

yeah i think Chris Jericho stomped on his metallica records after the black album!!

I doubt JH gives a s**t though.....?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭breffni666

Jesus that Metallica family segment in Sandman is cringeworthy stuff. Imagine Priest or Maiden trying that stuff on. Ugh!

Happy Birthday, Kirk. Ye old fart! 50 today.

I doubt JH gives a s**t though.....?

No I doubt he cares about few things outside his inner circle to be honest

breffni666 wrote: »
    Jesus that Metallica family segment in Sandman is cringeworthy stuff. Imagine Priest or Maiden trying that stuff on. Ugh!
    yeah it's bad..

• Advertisement

Happy Birthday, Kirk. Ye old fart! 50 today.

Many happy returns to the man. I know that some people like to bash Kirk but I believe he's the glue that held that band together during the rockier periods. To have a guy in there who can temper things and mediate them is as important as to have one in there who can lead. He's got a couple of nice licks in there along the way, too.
    No I doubt he cares about few things outside his inner circle to be honest

Yeah but when you're James Hetfield or any "famous guy" this is understandable because if you were trying to take in every opinion on you or your music, well, you just wouldn't be able to do it. I'd say the man has at least one dollar bill to his name for every 'you rock!' or 'you suck' that has ever been said to him or hurled at him from a crowd. The individual opinions of trusted friends or colleagues will always mean the most no matter how large or small a person's reputation.
    breffni666 wrote: »

I like that Metallica try to make their fans feel included even though they often seem to overstate the case these days. I doubt that they care if it looks a bit 'soft' for a heavy band. It wouldn't work for Priest but then I wouldn't care to see James hit the stage in leather boy gear and on a Harley so what works for some, or what their fans will stand for, won't necessarily be the case for others.

Yeah but when you're James Hetfield or any "famous guy" this is understandable because if you were trying to take in every opinion on you or your music, well, you just wouldn't be able to do it.

I agree, although I think there's a certain amount of politics in a band of Metallica's nature, in the sense that anything Hetfield says is pretty much a statement based on not rocking the boat. I think Metallica have such a major role to play (in terms of the money earned and the staff they employ) that they just can't be as rebellious as they'd like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I like that Metallica try to make their fans feel included even though they often seem to overstate the case these days. I doubt that they care if it looks a bit 'soft' for a heavy band.

It's not that it makes them look soft, it's just plain cringeworthy. Metallica shows are turning into pantomimes these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

I'd imagine this is sending shockwaves through the music industry!!!

http://www.metallica.com/news/blackened-recordings-launches.asp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I'd imagine this is sending shockwaves through the music industry!!!

http://www.metallica.com/news/blackened-recordings-launches.asp

They've sounded uncomfortable for years with the idea that a record label(Warner in their case) 'owned' their recordings. With the rapidly changing landscape in the music industry it was certainly a strong possibility they would go down this road when their contract ended with Warner.

They have also watched the likes of Radiohead and Trent Reznor experiment with online releases and dabbled in it themselves on a smaller scale with Livemetallica.com.

It'll be interesting to see if they get any more Metal big hitters onboard when their own contracts expire and if they give smaller,upcoming acts a break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭bnt

The Live DVD is Quebec Magnetic:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

Blackened Records is an interesting venture, be nice to see where it goes, certainly if they're holding their own festivals and now have their own label it makes me believe that they can make or break a Metal band by their very exsistence

I always find Metallica's choice of openers very interesting, it seems that if bands support Metallica then they almost profit as a direct result and increase their fanbase (bands like The Sword and Volbeat in recent years for example) so that opening spot is always highly valued.

It would be interesting to see if James decides to support a band he likes, like Ghost, by releasing their next album on Blackened Records - or whether he decides to go out of the way to find a band he believes are the next big thing, giving them a support slot, a record deal and a main stage slot at Orion - thereby making them popular by default.

It's a lot of power to be held from one band.

It's not like Metallica are doing anything groundbreaking here. Bands have been setting their own labels and releasing their albums on them for decades. And I'd imagine there'll still be a major label handling the distribution etc.

As for signing bands they like or bands they believe are the next best thing, that's a dangerous road to go down. Remember the 00's when bands like Pearl Jam set up labels for bands they liked and for their side projects and they'd sell about 4 copies each. Being a successful musician does not automatically mean you'll be a good A&R man. They should leave it to the pros....

It's not like Metallica are doing anything groundbreaking here. Bands have been setting their own labels and releasing their albums on them for decades. And I'd imagine there'll still be a major label handling the distribution etc.

As for signing bands they like or bands they believe are the next best thing, that's a dangerous road to go down. Remember the 00's when bands like Pearl Jam set up labels for bands they liked and for their side projects and they'd sell about 4 copies each. Being a successful musician does not automatically mean you'll be a good A&R man. They should leave it to the pros....

I would also wonder just how much a big endorsement from Lars Ulrich is worth in terms of a rising band's street cred, assuming he'll be the mouthpiece of the label or at least the member most likely to talk about matters relating to it. Lars may be a good blagger, a great blagger even, but he does sometimes tend to overstate the case and use certain idiosyncratic words like, infamously, 'nutty' to describe things that excite him. Nothing wrong with that in itself, he can say what he likes, but the snickers and elbow nudging it would set off in certain sectors of the rock press and the fanbase could see Blackened Recordings starting off on shaky ground. Hopefully the band can play it smart with regards to their new venture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 578 ✭✭✭deeks

bnt wrote: »
    The Live DVD is Quebec Magnetic:

Am I the only one who thinks James sounds awful in that clip?

• Advertisement

deeks wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thinks James sounds awful in that clip?

I think all Metallica live DVD's are pointless anyway these days, given so much of their material is produced pro shot and officially released through sites, YouTube and subscriptions etc...

That and they produce a hell of a lot of DVD's - still, nothing has the energy and raw passion that San Diego 92 (and Seattle 89 possessed) so for me, unless they top that, I couldn't bring myself to buy another. I saw them in Sheffield in 2009 particularly and I remember thinking as I left the arena that night that, for me, that performance was incredible. If someone had pro shot that and sold it, I would have paid anything...

What do I know anyway? Went on a date with a girl the other night who didn't even know who Metallica were...had never heard of them...I don't know whether that means I'm getting too old or the girls I'm dating are getting too young;)

as a life long fan, i've reached a milestone!! I have no interest whatsoever in a live DVD...Seattle will always be king for me! The shots are far to professional to be in anyway "real"...also the fact the drums are re-edited is no help either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

...also the fact the drums are re-edited is no help either!

No way, do they really do that?

No way, do they really do that?
    if "one" sounds right on DVD then it's been fixed!!

yeah france and mexico were definitely fixed.

as a life long fan, i've reached a milestone!! I have no interest whatsoever in a live DVD...Seattle will always be king for me! The shots are far to professional to be in anyway "real"...also the fact the drums are re-edited is no help either!

Lara used to stay on the drum stool and behind the kit in those days too. What's with all his wandering around the stage these days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Lara used to stay on the drum stool and behind the kit in those days too. What's with all his wandering around the stage these days?

Lookin for his mojo

he has triggered the bass drums too, to make life even easier for himself!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,091 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

he has triggered the bass drums too, to make life even easier for himself!!

I have an idea what you mean but can you elaborate? Actually, no need to, Google helped me!

I have an idea what you mean but can you elaborate? Actually, no need to, Google helped me!
    I'll do my best! Instead of a microphone a trigger sends a sound sample every time its hit. You still have to hit it correctly, however the sound is the same regardless of how hard you hit. So in Lars case it's less effort!

• Advertisement

I'll do my best! Instead of a microphone a trigger sends a sound sample every time its hit. You still have to hit it correctly, however the sound is the same regardless of how hard you hit. So in Lars case it's less effort!

Doesn't Kirk have a rodie press his pedals for him too (or is that something a lot of bands do anyway)?

Advertisement