Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,899 ✭✭✭KH25

Doesn't Kirk have a rodie press his pedals for him too (or is that something a lot of bands do anyway)?

As far as I know Kirk controls his wah himself, but his sound switching from clean to distorted etc is all done by a roadie. Same with James. Its pretty common with a lot of big bands. It comes down to personal preference of the musician really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

KH25 wrote: »
    As far as I know Kirk controls his wah himself, but his sound switching from clean to distorted etc is all done by a roadie. Same with James. Its pretty common with a lot of big bands. It comes down to personal preference of the musician really.

It also allows the musicians to move about the stage without having banks of peddles set up all over the place,particularly handy on an indoor 'in the round' set up.

I won't be buying this myself,Nimes and Mexico in particular put me off of their live DVD's. As mentioned above,the drums have been heavily edited. Listen to Blackened from Nimes,Lars hasn't played it that good since '89. It is ridiculously obvious and a cheapening of the product imo.

I have a bootleg dvd of a show i was at in January '09 on Long Island,NY. It's a near perfect representation of the show i saw,bum notes,crowd participation and sound. Better these days to find a pro shot version of a show than some over produced tripe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

First full song from Quebec Magnetic, Master of Puppets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Too many quick camera changes for my liking. Makes it difficult to watch a short clip, nevermind a 90 minute show.

And now they're on Spotify! What is the world coming to?:D

http://www.metallica.com/news/metallica-on-spotify.asp

• Advertisement

For the season that's in it.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭viadah

spotify-01.jpg

Sorry if you ate just before you saw this picture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

viadah wrote: »
    spotify-01.jpg

Sorry if you ate just before you saw this picture.

Haha Good man Lars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

lord lucan wrote: »
    And now they're on Spotify! What is the world coming to?:D

http://www.metallica.com/news/metallica-on-spotify.asp

I think they may be finally getting clever re technology. It also helps that they now have complete control over all of their recordings which means there's no label to suck away all the royalties from Spotify and all of the cash goes directly to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

cash

Wouldn't be a Metallica thread without it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I've watched a couple of the videos from Qubec Magnetic now and I must say its very hard on the eyes. I don't think there's any camera shot that lasts more than 5 seconds. It just jumps from one shot to the next really quickly. Is it just me or can anyone actually enjoy watching a concert like this?

Edit- just saw ozzy jr's post above. So I'm not the only one then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,091 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I'd say I'll get it, but I won't be rushing home to watch it. I'll leave it for a night when there's nothing on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

First full song from Quebec Magnetic, Master of Puppets

Fcuk that hurt my eyes.

I counted 53 camera changes in the FIRST FCUKING MINUTE!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,091 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

scudzilla wrote: »
    Fcuk that hurt my eyes.

I counted 53 camera changes in the FIRST FCUKING MINUTE!!!!!

Unreal. Just watched Damage Inc. but think the camera changes are slightly more relaxed. Either way, it's way too bloody much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

http://www.metalhammer.co.uk/news/hi-lars-ulrich-our-new-issue-drops-on-wednesday-featuring-metallica-megadeth-miss-may-i-a-free-poster-pack-a-free-cd-and-more-order-it-now/

Lars at it again!!!!!! He's talking up their new album!!!!! Remember 2001 and his "fast, nutty" remarks re: St Anger??? We all remember how crappy that turned out to be.......!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Maybe Lars will be good enough to pull a Thom Yorke and release their new album to download for free. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭briany

http://www.metalhammer.co.uk/news/hi-lars-ulrich-our-new-issue-drops-on-wednesday-featuring-metallica-megadeth-miss-may-i-a-free-poster-pack-a-free-cd-and-more-order-it-now/

Lars at it again!!!!!! He's talking up their new album!!!!! Remember 2001 and his "fast, nutty" remarks re: St Anger??? We all remember how crappy that turned out to be.......!!!

I've never heard of a big commercial act like the Met talk down an album. He was hardly likely to say, "This is a pretty uninspired album. We're coming off some intra band problems right now and we're staring down the barrel of middle age. Frankly, with all the money and influence we've attained, it's a wonder we still have the motivation to get out of bed."

It would be a funny furore of a big act said that but if Lars is one thing, he's a capable mouthpiece. His vocublary is at times a bit more limited than I'd like but his apparently unwavering enthusiasm for anything he's behind or currently promoting - even the shíte - is admirable if a little cloying also, but I don't think his opinions of what Metallica are doing are inflated due to a money/fame fueled ego which that early interview posted on this thread demonstrates, I think. It would seem he's been like that from day one.

Anyway, will be happy to check out the album when it's released. Whenever the Hell that'll be. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭gerocks

briany wrote: »

I've never heard of a big commercial act like the Met talk down an album. He was hardly likely to say, "This is a pretty uninspired album. We're coming off some intra band problems right now and we're staring down the barrel of middle age. Frankly, with all the money and influence we've attained, it's a wonder we still have the motivation to get out of bed."

It would be a funny furore of a big act said that but if Lars is one thing, he's a capable mouthpiece. His vocublary is at times a bit more limited than I'd like but his apparently unwavering enthusiasm for anything he's behind or currently promoting - even the shíte - is admirable if a little cloying also, but I don't think his opinions of what Metallica are doing are inflated due to a money/fame fueled ego which that early interview posted on this thread demonstrates, I think. It would seem he's been like that from day one.

Anyway, will be happy to check out the album when it's released. Whenever the Hell that'll be. :p

There'll be three more Dvds, a fan can, six shift knobs and four Bobble heads before a new album...

More music, less touring please!
    I'm not a hater just a jaded fan...

gerocks wrote: »
    There'll be three more Dvds, a fan can, six shift knobs and four Bobble heads before a new album...

More music, less touring please!
    I'm not a hater just a jaded fan...

Touring is where the money's at.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭cro mags

new album is likely to be rubbish. They should bury the hatchet with Dave Mustaine and get him back in the band, even if it's only long enough to steal his ideas again ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

cro mags wrote: »
    new album is likely to be rubbish. They should bury the hatchet with Dave Mustaine and get him back in the band, even if it's only long enough to steal his ideas again ..

Get real, man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Kevski wrote: »
    Get real, man.

Yeah, there's no way Kirk's going and adding Dave would mean having to split the cash 5 ways and times are hard these days in Metallica land so they couldn't afford to do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

Yeah, there's no way Kirk's going and adding Dave would mean having to split the cash 5 ways and times are hard these days in Metallica land so they couldn't afford to do that.

Exactly.

I'm not saying it would be easy or that they would actually do it. But if they want to write great metal songs again a collaboration with Mustaine would be beneficial.

I'm not saying it would be easy or that they would actually do it. But if they want to write great metal songs again a collaboration with Mustaine would be beneficial.

LMAO. Funniest post of the year. They have buried the hatchet with Mustaine, but he's never gonna rejoin them.

LMAO. Funniest post of the year. They have buried the hatchet with Mustaine, but he's never gonna rejoin them.

I guess they'd have preferred to bury it in his head though after they hear some of the crap he spouts

We're talking about writing great metal music. They haven't released a good album since 1988. That's almost 25 years! Clearly they need the help of an excellent metal composer like Mustaine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

We're talking about writing great metal music. They haven't released a good album since 1988. That's almost 25 years! Clearly they need the help of an excellent metal composer like Mustaine.

Whats Mustaine done the last 20 years thats so great? He's chased trends and done what record companies have told him to do, just as often as Metallica have. He clearly has difficulties working with people, hence the turnover off musicians in Megadeth.

Mustaine spouts paranoid right-wing nonsense. Metallica steer well clear of controversy and are at pains to seem as unpolitical as possible. The mistake of the Napster era isn't going to be repeated.

I don't wanna slag off Mustaine because he clearly has his demons. There but for the grace of god go I.

If Metallica really needed to get in a composer, who would improve their output, then Pepper Keenan was that man. Not much of a bass player though.

Disagree with this, The Black Album was great, that was post '88.

Death Magnetic was also Good (not great)

What you mean to say is that they've not released a good fast old school thrash album since '88

I think after AJFA they left the thrash scene behind them and went into the Metal/Rock genre

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Mustaine hasn't done anything great in 20 years either.

Advertisement