Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

Apart from his bitching and moaninng on Twitter - Thats some funny sh1t

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭briany

scudzilla wrote: »
    Disagree with this, The Black Album was great, that was post '88.

Death Magnetic was also Good (not great)

What you mean to say is that they've not released a good fast old school thrash album since '88

I think after AJFA they left the thrash scene behind them and went into the Metal/Rock genre

There's a myth that's been bandied about that Metallica sold out after AJFA. Actually there's also the same about AJFA because they cut a video for it. Then there's the people who lost it over Metallica using (horror) acoustic instruments. I wonder are there 5 old schoolers in the bay area who are still mad that Metallica cut a studio album at all and didn't stick to bootleg tapes. Are there people who never forgave the band for their shoddy treatment of Ron Mcgovney (there's probably at least one) or never quite got over the break up of Leather Charm?

The point I'm making is that Metallica have been accused at selling out almost every single step of the way in their career by a portion of disgruntled fans. I believe that with the Black Album, there was a strong backlash because now the teenyboppers down the street were blasting Sandman or NEM. So what? It's not as if they were the only two songs on the thing. Some of the deep cuts on that album are some of the heaviest, hardest and darkest things they've ever done and there's good production on them as well - not a sin. It's the album where James hit his peak as a song writer and began to really introspect more regularly.

Then, famously, there's Load. The album where the Met backlash gained real momentum. They cut their hair, had pictures on the booklet in shirts, jackets and cigars but it seemed like no one listened to the album before making their accusations of sell out. That album is dense and it's interesting, it's got layers to it and it is heavy. Not just in terms of sound but thematically as well. Self loathing, spree killing, hatred, violence, cancer, jealousy, alienation and mother issues are some the things sung about which makes it sound emo but at the same time the album does rock while being stylistically varied. It received a lot of very unfair criticism and still does from the closed minded who wish Metallica had stayed in their corner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭ROY RACE

For all ye kids posting on here ill put it on record once again for ye- metallica have been crap since the and justice for all album i saw metallica many times and they lost me and the hardcore fans with the crap they put out since.

jason newstead left when he saw what they were becoming

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

ROY RACE wrote: »
    For all ye kids posting on here ill put it on record once again for ye- metallica have been crap since the and justice for all album i saw metallica many times and they lost me and the hardcore fans with the crap they put out since.

nah, not with you there. Black album is good, Load/ReLoad ok, St. Anger bollox and Death Magnetic good. Live shows in the 90's and 00's were for the most part good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭cro mags

Let's put all the albums in perspective
    Kea - amazing
    Rtl - amazing
    Mop - amazing
    Ajfa -amazing
    Black -average
    Load - ****
    Reload - re****
    St anger -embarrassing
    Dm - rubbish

I know they have other ep's etc but they're mainly covers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Riddle101

By hardcore fans I take it you mean hardcore thrash metal fans, and not hardcore Metallica fans because if you were a hardcore Metallica fan you wouldn't be saying that. So they changed after AJFA, any right thinking music lover would look at their work after that from an artistic perspective. They matured with age and brought out some really good and classics songs. I look at Black Album as being very diverse and something fresh for Metallica, and Load has stood the test of time and can now be considered quite good. Reload had it's moments but it was crap and St Anger was terrible, but at least I can pick out some good things from those two albums as well. Death Magnetic i'm on the fence about. It wasn't fantastic, but for a band who hadn't released an album since St Anger and were doing poorly up to then, it was a little nice to see them attempt to get back to their roots. There were also some good songs on that album too. Whatever the next album is like, I would only hope the fans would listen to it and not be so quick to tear it apart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

What annoys me most about the backlash to load and reload is that it made them regress to playing it safe. Load has some great songs on it, different to what we'd seen before but still unmistakingly them. It showed them going into uncharted waters and trying new stuff.

It would have been interesting to see them stick to this path, like radiohead, the mars volta and countless other bands have done. Saying "we're glad you like the old stuff, but this is us now", rather than the "we beter stick to metal cos we're labeled a metal band" path they took, as unpleasing as that may be to all the "real" fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

The few 'hardcore' fans they lost were replaced by the 100 million that bought the Black Album in the US alone. I somehow doubt Metallica shed many tears at a few lads burning albums and t-shirts because they turned their back on thrash.

The reason i've remained a Metallica fan over the years is that i've admired the way they keep moving on and doing whatever they want to do,not what their fan base dictates or demands. Sure they've fcuked up royally on occasion but they stuck to their guns and took the flak that came their way.

Some bands are happy to do what they do best. I love Slayer and i love that you know what you're getting when they bring out a new record. I don't want them to change. Same goes for Metallica. Sure sometimes it's a disaster(Lou Reed stuff for example) but sometimes there's some gems(S&M springs to mind). Does it make their fan base happy,no,but then again i don't think they care whether we care. No-one forces us to buy their music or go their gigs yet thousands every year do just that. The few they've pissed off have well and truly been eclipsed by the many who've been converted over the years.

Whatever happens,Metallica will always remain a divisive band and it's probably exactly how they want it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

cro mags wrote: »
    Let's put all the albums in perspective
    Kea - amazing
    Rtl - amazing
    Mop - amazing
    Ajfa -amazing
    Black -average
    Load - ****
    Reload - re****
    St anger -embarrassing
    Dm - rubbish

I know they have other ep's etc but they're mainly covers

This thread is like f&@king Groundhog Day! It's all a matter of one thing - opinion.

Oh and just for the record, neither Death Magnetic nor Load were rubbish nor &@#! as you put it. They were both very good albums. Also, let's face it, they're never going to redo stuff like the first 5 albums, so can we please move on from this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Has anyone heard any of Jason's new material?

He recorded a new video for the song Soliderhead yesterday and seems to be in a good place - except for the dodgy looking mustache - he'll be releasing a new EP on January 8th and then following this with a tour

jason_gal_pic5.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

except for the dodgy looking mustache

He looks like Hetfield around 1996 era!:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

He recorded a new video for the song Soliderhead yesterday and seems to be in a good place - except for the dodgy looking mustache - he'll be releasing a new EP on January 8th and then following this with a tour

jason_gal_pic5.jpg

This is with Papa Wheelie right?

jason_gal_pic5.jpg

Plus, he's got a brand new website up. Can't find the link, but the band is called "Newsted".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Plus, he's got a brand new website up. Can't find the link, but the band is called "Newsted".

http://newstedheavymetal.com/

Jason is fcukin awesome

Newsted is not the worst name for his new venture. It has the advantage in that his name on the marquee which will sell but his name always ties into the legacy of Metallica and it's a hell of a shadow to get out from under. It's not exactly a bad shadow to be in though but I'm guessing that he'll want the material to stand on it's own two feet. Hopefully it can do that and be a bit more good music in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,091 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Quebec Magnetic in entirety up on YouTube.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Quebec Magnetic in entirety up on YouTube.

Just reading some of the comments on that page and someone was saying that in one part of a song James is playing one guitar but about 30 seconds later he's playing a different one. I know it was recorded over two nights and they were going to take the best bits from each night but I at least thought they would include entire songs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,091 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Just reading some of the comments on that page and someone was saying that in one part of a song James is playing one guitar but about 30 seconds later he's playing a different one. I know it was recorded over two nights and they were going to take the best bits from each night but I at least thought they would include entire songs.

Read that myself and thought wtf are they at???

Oh well.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

They did the same for S&M. You can notice Kirk's guitar changing during songs.

lord lucan wrote: »
    The reason i've remained a Metallica fan over the years is that i've admired the way they keep moving on and doing whatever they want to do,not what their fan base dictates or demands. Sure they've fcuked up royally on occasion but they stuck to their guns and took the flak that came their way.

I think that Metallica have been bending over backwards to please their fans post 2007/2008, sometimes a little bit too much in my opinion. They've played the old obscure songs, they released a back to roots type album (or at least it was touted as such), had callbacks to previous tours in the stage setup. Really, they have done more than a band in their position should feel obliged to do and yet there's still some giving out.

I would like to see a true Metallica evolution on their next record as Load was but not a Load Pt. III ( if ReLoad was pt. II ). I'd like to see them coming out with something surprising, something a little bit unexpected and something that reflects where they're at today. Not a jazz album or anything but something that does take their sound forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,130 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

briany wrote: »
    I think that Metallica have been bending over backwards to please their fans post 2007/2008, sometimes a little bit too much in my opinion. They've played the old obscure songs, they released a back to roots type album (or at least it was touted as such), had callbacks to previous tours in the stage setup. Really, they have done more than a band in their position should feel obliged to do and yet there's still some giving out.

I would like to see a true Metallica evolution on their next record as Load was but not a Load Pt. III ( if ReLoad was pt. II ). I'd like to see them coming out with something surprising, something a little bit unexpected and something that reflects where they're at today. Not a jazz album or anything but something that does take their sound forward.
    100% agree.

Also you[ve reminded me of something Lars dad said once in an interview about what he thinks of metallica!! something along the lines of being a jazz fan he's a fan of tempo, which puts him at odds with metallica!! was prob a little dig at lars too!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Elysian

Your post(imo) is a tad contradictory. You say that they have being bending over backwards to please their fans, and that they should release a "back to roots" album. And you then go on to say "I would like to see a true Metallica evolution on their next record...........".

If they did this, wouldn't that be pleasing fans(ie: you)? The last time they did something that was for themselves, they released "St Anger", and we all know how that ended up.

They should just do what comes naturally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,130 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Your post(imo) is a tad contradictory. You say that they have being bending over backwards to please their fans, and that they should release a "back to roots" album. And you then go on to say "I would like to see a true Metallica evolution on their next record...........".

If they did this, wouldn't that be pleasing fans(ie: you)? The last time they did something that was for themselves, they released "St Anger", and we all know how that ended up.

exactly. There is also the sad possibility that the reason they are "bending over backwards" is that perhaps they have resigned to fact that being creative might harm the "brand".

exactly. There is also the sad possibility that the reason they are "bending over backwards" is that perhaps they have resigned to fact that being creative might harm the "brand".

If that's the case, they should throw in the towel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

I think that Metallica have been bending over backwards to please their fans post 2007/2008, sometimes a little bit too much in my opinion.

Lulu?

ush wrote: »

Lulu?

Lol. That's probably the exception!?

Didn't say they should release a back to roots album, I said they did do so in Death Magnetic. There was a huge outcry for Metallica to return to the sound of pre-BA and even Metallica themselves seemed to figure that this is what they needed but I have to believe part of that decision was that they were being beaten over the head with the demand of it by the fans after St. Anger came out and James came out of rehab.

Metallica should do what comes naturally, I agree, but looking over their career and their output, what seems natural to them is to change up and this doesn't always have great results in terms of reception but they have done so anyway. I would hate to see the band stagnate is all I am saying.

Didn't say they should release a back to roots album, I said they did do so in Death Magnetic. There was a huge outcry for Metallica to return to the sound of pre-BA and even Metallica themselves seemed to figure that this is what they needed but I have to believe part of that decision was that they were being beaten over the head with the demand of it by the fans after St. Anger came out and James came out of rehab.

Metallica should do what comes naturally, I agree, but looking over their career and their output, what seems natural to them is to change up and this doesn't always have great results in terms of reception but they have done so anyway. I would hate to see the band stagnate is all I am saying.

I think they stagnated after the Load album, which was, in my opinion, part of the reason behind Jason's departure.

• Advertisement

I think they stagnated after the Load album, which was, in my opinion, part of the reason behind Jason's departure.

I disagree. After Load, there was ReLoad and while that was mostly forgettable, it was a continuation of where they were going, if only an incremental one as the songs were written and largely produced in around the time of Load. There was S&M which was an interesting take on their material at that time plus a couple of new tunes. It wasn't exactly a groundbreaking thing to do but Kamen's arrangements complemented some of Metallica's songs quite well. Garage Inc. was a very good album, containing the band's covers of songs that they enjoyed and they weren't always things you would expect to have influenced them. It was an interesting departure for them. Even St. Anger..... well I'm not gonna defend that album, but I'll say I believe it was an honest effort to let out some of the bad feeling that had been welling up in the Met camp over the previous years, they just did it in a disorganised and uninspired way. It was an effort to try something a little bit different to what they'd done before and it backfired.

Advertisement