Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

briany wrote: »
    I think that Metallica have been bending over backwards to please their fans post 2007/2008, sometimes a little bit too much in my opinion. They've played the old obscure songs, they released a back to roots type album (or at least it was touted as such), had callbacks to previous tours in the stage setup. Really, they have done more than a band in their position should feel obliged to do and yet there's still some giving out.

I don't think they've necessarily bent over backwards to please their fans,more they've got caught up in a wave of nostalgia. Having decided to play MOP in its entirety in 2006,they came off that tour raving about how good it felt to play the old material. This was followed by Rick Rubin pushing them in the studio to recapture the spirit of that era and remember what it was like when they wrote and recorded it. What followed was Death Magnetic which received pretty decent acclaim,certainly their best in a very long time,and a tour that saw them go to all 4 corners of the world and break out some rarely played tunes.

They followed this by taking nostalgia another step forward with the 'Big 4' tour. It was another trip down memory lane,and in fairness was enjoyed by many. Since then,they've played Ride The Lightning in its entirety and done a European festival tour where they played The Black Album in its entirety and brought back the Snakepit. They've also played a number of indoor shows where they took elements from previous shows as well as 4 shows in San Fransisco that were a trawl through their 30 year history.

I'm sure some of this looking backwards comes from the band and some from management and accountants who think it's a commercial goldmine. They've taken it too far though and are in danger of becoming a greatest hits band. Look at their setlists in Europe this summer,TBA aside it was the usual stuff that they've done to death. Throw in a 3D movie next year and they've wasted an awful lot of time that could've been spent working on new material. They don't seem to be in a rush to create new music,which sadly means that time is running out on their career and new music from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,187 ✭✭✭✭briany

lord lucan wrote: »
    I don't think they've necessarily bent over backwards to please their fans,more they've got caught up in a wave of nostalgia. Having decided to play MOP in its entirety in 2006,they came off that tour raving about how good it felt to play the old material. This was followed by Rick Rubin pushing them in the studio to recapture the spirit of that era and remember what it was like when they wrote and recorded it. What followed was Death Magnetic which received pretty decent acclaim,certainly their best in a very long time,and a tour that saw them go to all 4 corners of the world and break out some rarely played tunes.

They followed this by taking nostalgia another step forward with the 'Big 4' tour. It was another trip down memory lane,and in fairness was enjoyed by many. Since then,they've played Ride The Lightning in its entirety and done a European festival tour where they played The Black Album in its entirety and brought back the Snakepit. They've also played a number of indoor shows where they took elements from previous shows as well as 4 shows in San Fransisco that were a trawl through their 30 year history.

I'm sure some of this looking backwards comes from the band and some from management and accountants who think it's a commercial goldmine. They've taken it too far though and are in danger of becoming a greatest hits band. Look at their setlists in Europe this summer,TBA aside it was the usual stuff that they've done to death. Throw in a 3D movie next year and they've wasted an awful lot of time that could've been spent working on new material. They don't seem to be in a rush to create new music,which sadly means that time is running out on their career and new music from them.

I think that Death Magnetic is a fine album but I also think it was a by-product of that nostalgia of which you speak. Good tunes for the most part and I enjoyed the aggression of it but it undoubtedly contains callbacks to the past with the inclusion of an instrumental, Lars talking about how it sounded like the missing link between and that whole Rubin pep talk.

It's not a bad idea in principle to try and recapture the kind of energy they had in 1986 but in 1986, they were at pretty a pretty different place in their lives. They were young, full of energy and ambition. That'll always be part of the equation in my opinion. Today or even in 2008, they've been through it, they've toured and they've had tragedies, setbacks and triumphs. They're still top of the heavy band pile. I don't think that they need to look back in the way they have been doing because I think that they have their own kind of energy going on today that's just as valid - a group of middle aged men with a long road behind them and the scars of touring to show. I personally like that kind of smokey, grizzled and aged vibe in a band. Relatively few rock bands seem to embrace it as they're so often prisoners of their past, and what the fans want or they've faded into obscurity by the time it comes around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Jason has just personally wished me a Happy Crimbob on his fan FB page, that guy is so fcukin cool and always been the best wit fans.
    Cheered me up anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

briany wrote: »

I would like to see a true Metallica evolution on their next record as Load was but not a Load Pt. III ( if ReLoad was pt. II ). I'd like to see them coming out with something surprising, something a little bit unexpected and something that reflects where they're at today. Not a jazz album or anything but something that does take their sound forward.

Hard to predict what they could record next. They've done it all at this stage. If they "retired" it wouldn't surprise me. I always thought James would do a solo country tinged album. Maybe something heavy ala Corrosion of COnformity. IMO they tried to rip off COC on some of the ReLoad tracks. Ironically, Wiseblood which came out around the same time was streets ahead of ReLoad. They shouldn't do Death Magnetic again. But if they tried to do some prog laden concept album, it wouldn't bother me. As the drums are the weakest link in the band, I just feel lots of stuff will have the same plodding drum beat. If only the drummer would explode...:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

scudzilla wrote: »
    Jason has just personally wished me a Happy Crimbob on his fan FB page, that guy is so fcukin cool and always been the best wit fans.
    Cheered me up anyway

Replied to a message from me too. Top bloke. Said he hoped to bring this band to Ireland soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 SomeGirl123

Does anyone know if Metallica are playing in Ireland this year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Nope no plans for Europe yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 SomeGirl123

aw pity. thx for the reply

Seems Jason definately took Metallica's balls with him

Hetfield is on Intstagram for those that are interested.

http://statigr.am/papa_het_

• Advertisement

Hetfield is on Intstagram for those that are interested.

http://statigr.am/papa_het_

Really him???

Really him???
    Yep, metclub confirmed it. Expect a deluge of followers professing their love and wanting him to play in their back garden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Awesome! Never thought I'd see James on any of these social media sites. See he has been replying to some comments too. Fair play to him!

Awesome! Never thought I'd see James on any of these social media sites. See he has been replying to some comments too. Fair play to him!

Replied to me too, pretty awesome, he's also got some cool pics on there too

Only question is how long will this last before it gets overtaken by fcukmuppet just posting 'COME TO BRAZIL' or 'METALLIIIICCAAAAAA'

This is amazing, been having a chat wit James about the Lizzy sign, it's really cool......but like i said, the madness will begin soon

This is amazing, been having a chat wit James about the Lizzy sign, it's really cool......but like i said, the madness will begin soon

He's a mental Lizzy fan. When i met him i suggested they ditch Whiskey as a cover and do Cold Sweat instead. His eyes lit up at the idea and he started singing it in front of me. He joked they'd no keyboard player but might look into it.

He's a mental Lizzy fan. When i met him i suggested they ditch Whiskey as a cover and do Cold Sweat instead. His eyes lit up at the idea and he started singing it in front of me. He joked they'd no keyboard player but might look into it.

That he is. I'd f**kin loooooooooove to hear Metallica doing a cover of something epic like Black Rose. When Garage Days came out, I went straight for the cd cover and was slightly p!ssed when they plumped for Whiskey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

That he is. I'd f**kin loooooooooove to hear Metallica doing a cover of something epic like Black Rose. When Garage Days came out, I went straight for the cd cover and was slightly p!ssed when they plumped for Whiskey.

As we're talking Lizzy songs, I'd love them to do Massacre. My favourite song of theirs.

As we're talking Lizzy songs, I'd love them to do Massacre. My favourite song of theirs.

Same reason why I went for Black Rose. My absolute favourite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

I think it'd be cool for them to whip out Emerald, dueling solos and all. Now THAT would be epic!

• Advertisement

I think it'd be cool for them to whip out Emerald, dueling solos and all. Now THAT would be epic!

Same with Black Rose. Would be epic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Anyone heard Soliderhead by Jason Newsted

I've been chatting with him through Facebook, he seems fairly hands on in terms of communicating with fans, but I mentioned to him that I think 'Whiplash' and 'Soliderhead' have an awful lot in common in terms of the speed and composition of the track...I know Whiplash was Jason's favourite Metallica song before he entered the band so it's interesting he's taken this direction. In fact his whole EP is great, even if it does feel like Metallica circa 1983

The 3D movie thingy they've been working on is scheduled for release on August 9th.

http://www.metallica.com/news/20130115-7693.asp

And if you've ever wanted to emulate Cliff Burton doing Bellz in 1985 at the Day On The Green gig now you can by buying the hardware in the form of the Cliff Burton signature Bass from Aria.

http://www.metallica.com/news/20130116-463284.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭harvester of sorrow

Wailing on the base like a mother fukin boss........Metallica at their finest.:D

Anyone heard Soliderhead by Jason Newsted

I've been chatting with him through Facebook, he seems fairly hands on in terms of communicating with fans, but I mentioned to him that I think 'Whiplash' and 'Soliderhead' have an awful lot in common in terms of the speed and composition of the track...I know Whiplash was Jason's favourite Metallica song before he entered the band so it's interesting he's taken this direction. In fact his whole EP is great, even if it does feel like Metallica circa 1983

Aye it is an old school thrasher. Was surprised to learn that that was Jason on lead vocals too.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

http://missiontolars.com/

Has a synopsis and trailer of a new documentary/film about a brother and sister taking their brother, with Fragile X Syndrome, on a road trip to meet Lars.

Looks quite nice and touching! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,091 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Received my signed Newsted Ep, tshirt and pick today. I'm like a child in a sweet shop since. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Received my signed Newsted Ep, tshirt and pick today. I'm like a child in a sweet shop since. :D

You know my friend was at the last Metallica gig in Belfast, and he caught James Hetfield's guitar pick. He cherishes that pick.

I've never been one for things like that though. A guitar pick from James Hetfield is just a guitar pick at the end of the day, just like an autograph is a bit of writing on a piece of paper etc. I get satisfaction from just meeting famous people or being in their presence. Although I wouldn't mind a photograph because I think they're much more meaningful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,091 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Riddle101 wrote: »
    You know my friend was at the last Metallica gig in Belfast, and he caught James Hetfield's guitar pick. He cherishes that pick.

I've never been one for things like that though. A guitar pick from James Hetfield is just a guitar pick at the end of the day, just like an autograph is a bit of writing on a piece of paper etc. I get satisfaction from just meeting famous people or being in their presence. Although I wouldn't mind a photograph because I think they're much more meaningful.

The only famous musician I've met is Bill Steer from Carcass outside the Tivoli back in '92 (?), very nice guy. Newsted is easily in my top 3 musicians ever though, so getting an autograph from him means a lot to me but generally - as you stated - I don't get too worked up over 'souvenirs'. A mate of mine caught a drumstick Lars threw to him (well in our direction as we were at the barrier) in the Point on the Black Album tour. I missed out as I had been pulled over the barrier a few seconds before. Didn't bother me at all that he got it even though I'm a drummer. Now that I'm older I like and appreciate the thought of Newsted taking the time to sign away EP's.

Delighted as f*ck to have it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,130 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

The only famous musician I've met is Bill Steer from Carcass outside the Tivoli back in '92 (?), very nice guy. Newsted is easily in my top 3 musicians ever though, so getting an autograph from him means a lot to me but generally - as you stated - I don't get too worked up over 'souvenirs'. A mate of mine caught a drumstick Lars threw to him (well in our direction as we were at the barrier) in the Point on the Black Album tour. I missed out as I had been pulled over the barrier a few seconds before. Didn't bother me at all that he got it even though I'm a drummer. Now that I'm older I like and appreciate the thought of Newsted taking the time to sign away EP's.

Delighted as f*ck to have it.
    I was standing outside the tivoli too! Met bill Jeff and ken!

Advertisement