Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

I wonder is Jason Newsted going to bring his band to Ireland? He's touring Europe in June

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭Degag

Good time for Ulrich to retire.... Lombardo in the dole queue!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Degag wrote: »

When lars had his hissy fit and didn't play Donington, Lombardo (amongst others) sat in for him, i was quite close to the stage and it Battery blew me away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,187 ✭✭✭✭briany

Degag wrote: »

Time for Lombardo to sheepishly play down the anecdote of him once having chucked Metallica's 'Black Album' down a flight of stairs upon hearing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

scudzilla wrote: »
    When lars had his hissy fit and didn't play Donington, Lombardo (amongst others) sat in for him, i was quite close to the stage and it Battery blew me away.

Wasn't that because Lars ended up in hospital and simply wasn't fit to play or is that a totally different time I'm thinking of?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,091 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Wouldn't Dave L. be too good for Metallica though?

It'd be great though to see Dyers Eve (amongst others) on the set-list more often though!:pac:

Wasn't that because Lars ended up in hospital and simply wasn't fit to play or is that a totally different time I'm thinking of?

The 'official' line was that Lars was in hospital but unofficially, a lot of rumours point to him powdering his nose once to often and having a panic attack

The 'official' line was that Lars was in hospital but unofficially, a lot of rumours point to him powdering his nose once to often and having a panic attack

Didn't hear that before (about the powdering panic attack).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Wouldn't Dave L. be too good for Metallica though?

It'd be great though to see Dyers Eve (amongst others) on the set-list more often though!:pac:

Its played regularly, minus the double bass though!

They played the first night of a 5 date Oz tour last night, setlist was :-

1. Hit the Lights
    2. Master of Puppets
    3. The Shortest Straw
    4. Harvester of Sorrow
    5. Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
    6. Fuel
    7. Cyanide
    8. Sad But True
    9. Fade to Black
    10. ...And Justice for All
    11. One
    12. For Whom the Bell Tolls
    13. Blackened
    14. Nothing Else Matters
    15. Enter Sandman
    ENCORE
    16. Creeping Death
    17. Battery
    18. Seek & Destroy

Glad to see they're now mixing the setlist up after a few months off :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Glad to see they're now mixing the setlist up after a few months off :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Do you know if they are still doing the 'we are family' bit in the middle of Enter Sandman?

Do you know if they are still doing the 'we are family' bit in the middle of Enter Sandman?

no, thank fcuk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

I haven't seen them live in years, but it's savage to see them doing shortest straw and harvester, my two favourite metallica songs. Hell, I'd even maybe put up with the "we are family" cringiness to see them two beasts live .

Edit: to chime in with above, I DO think dave L is too good for them. If they replaced lars, next we'd be saying "here kirks gotta a bit sloppy the last few years, what's marty friedman or buckethead up to these days" until it became james and a bunch on unoriginal members (no disrespect to rob, he's the bees knees) touring the metallica name/brand. Let's face it, they're a bunch of auld fellas, sure they don't play with the same venom or ferocity they did in 1989, but thats over 20 years ago. I'm more than happy to see the main part of the lineup still touring and selling out gigs, rather than a bunch of very talented individuals playing metallica songs perfectly, but with no nostalgic attachment to what is a pretty nostalgic occasion for people who've followed them for a few years (sorry for the slightly "real fanz ruuuulzzzz !!!11" post).

anybody go to this one? A great day, White Zombie were awesome, hard to believe this was 18yrs ago!!!

Crap quality but sometimes i really love the old unpolished bootleg feel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Every recorded YEAH from Hetfield in one soundbyte!

https://soundcloud.com/kcclips/hetfield-grunts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,130 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

briany wrote: »
    Time for Lombardo to sheepishly play down the anecdote of him once having chucked Metallica's 'Black Album' down a flight of stairs upon hearing it.
    ha ha would also like to witness an awkward meeting with Chris Jericho and metallica...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Dunno if this has been posted yet, found a cleaned up clip of Harvester from Moscow 91. Sound is amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

lord lucan wrote: »
    Every recorded YEAH from Hetfield in one soundbyte!

https://soundcloud.com/kcclips/hetfield-grunts
    The best thing associated with Metallica in 25 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Metallica tour rider from 1983 and a press kit release that matched their egos!:pac:

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/backstage/hall-fame/metallica-1983

Beer,deli and a stage,simple times. Their current rider would nearly qualify as a novel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Will they ever play indoors in Dublin again?? I'd love to see it one last time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Looks like Metallica are having a Spinal Tap "more selective audience" moment in South Africa with their gig being moved from the 55,000 Cape Town Stadium to 2 indoor gigs at a place that holds about 10,000.

http://www.timeslive.co.za/entertainment/music/2013/04/03/venue-changed-for-metallica-concert-in-cape-town

It's obviously the promoter over estimating Metallica's pull and not the band's fault and I love the line in the promoter's statement saying that the change is "to allow fans a chance of watching Metallica in a dynamic indoor live music setting". So nothing to do with poor ticket sales then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,187 ✭✭✭✭briany

Looks like Metallica are having a Spinal Tap "more selective audience" moment in South Africa with their gig being moved from the 55,000 Cape Town Stadium to 2 indoor gigs at a place that holds about 10,000.

http://www.timeslive.co.za/entertainment/music/2013/04/03/venue-changed-for-metallica-concert-in-cape-town

It's obviously the promoter over estimating Metallica's pull and not the band's fault and I love the line in the promoter's statement saying that the change is "to allow fans a chance of watching Metallica in a dynamic indoor live music setting". So nothing to do with poor ticket sales then?

Put your best foot forward and all that. What self respecting promoter thinks it's a good idea to start off some gig promo with "Due to poor ticket sales...."?

Samantha Mumba missed a trick that time she only sold 50 tickets for Vicar St. or whatever it was and had the whole thing pulled. Could have advertised it as a gig of 'unprecedented intimacy'. :pac:

Just sitting down to view 'Mission to Lars'. Not really know what to expect - aside from the obvious - but at least I have the remote off herself for a change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Anyone wrote: »
    Dunno if this has been posted yet, found a cleaned up clip of Harvester from Moscow 91. Sound is amazing.

That sounds so good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

Has anybody seen the Howard Stern interview with Lars? Richard Christy (Death, Control Denied, Iced Earth Drummer) comes into the studio as he's also a writer on the Howard Stern show and Lars doesn't even know who he is. Apart from that it's a pretty candid interview with Lars. He talks about the origins of the band, his relationship with James, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,839 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

quite enjoyed the movie. My heart really went out to Tom and
    at times thought he would not meet him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

Once again, Metallica disappoint me.

http://www.metallica.com/news/20130411-359099.asp

St. Jimmy wrote: »
    Once again, Metallica disappoint me.

http://www.metallica.com/news/20130411-359099.asp

You don't enjoy a bit of pinball?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

Passenger wrote: »
    Has anybody seen the Howard Stern interview with Lars? Richard Christy (Death, Control Denied, Iced Earth Drummer) comes into the studio as he's also a writer on the Howard Stern show and Lars doesn't even know who he is.

Good grief! :eek:

Christy is an absolute monster behind the kit, I'm sure if Lars was given a decade to learn to play his work on 'The Sound of Perseverance' he wouldn't be able to do it.

• Advertisement

Good grief! :eek:

Christy is an absolute monster behind the kit, I'm sure if Lars was given a decade to learn to play his work on 'The Sound of Perseverance' he wouldn't be able to do it.

I was a little surprised that a) Lars was unaware of who he was and b) the fact that Richard Christy was a little sycophantic toward Lars, even showing off his Metallica briefs and insisting that Howard show Lars a video of Christy playing drums. Fair enough, he was inspired by Lars' playing as he mentions but I would have thought that technically he was beyond Lars as a drummer.

Advertisement