Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭Degag

Passenger wrote: »
    I was a little surprised that a) Lars was unaware of who he was and b) the fact that Richard Christy was a little sycophantic toward Lars, even showing off his Metallica briefs and insisting that Howard show Lars a video of Christy playing drums. Fair enough, he was inspired by Lars' playing as he mentions but I would have thought that technically he was beyond Lars as a drummer.

I guess its because even for all his faults, he's one of the most famous musicians/drummers in the world and not just in the metal genre but in music in general. He's probably inspired countless drummers who look up to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

Degag wrote: »
    I guess its because even for all his faults, he's one of the most famous musicians/drummers in the world and not just in the metal genre but in music in general. He's probably inspired countless drummers who look up to him.

Absolutely, that was certainly the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Chance of a follow of to Death Magnetic happening in 2014 according to Kirk, but he states that the production of their 3D movie is taking precedence over any album work and that the album to date is stuff they record every "here and there"

http://gulfnews.com/about-gulf-news/al-nisr-portfolio/tabloid/metallica-psyched-to-be-back-in-abu-dhabi-1.1170535

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/news/metallica-album-is-slow-process-says-hammett/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Metallica were in Shannon this morning, re-fuelling on way to Dubai

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭brugmand

Wanted to start a thread were people can say which metallica song/album is the best :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

There's a dedicated Metallica thread for all things related to the band. :)

cool did not see that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭Degag

brugmand wrote: »
    Wanted to start a thread were people can say which metallica song/album is the best :)

Frantic/St Anger. End Of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Songs; Blackened, Disposable Heroes, The Outlaw Torn (Extended Version)

For album case of flippin a coin... its a toss up between RTL and MOP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Album: Kill 'Em All
    Songs: Four Horsemen, Whiplash, Harvester of Sorrow and Mater of Puppets

That list I made at the very start of the thread, is pretty old I think. I've since changed my stance after going through my entire Metallica collection a few months ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 DeSmasher

justice for all - majestic album, saturated in heartache
    too many killer songs to chose a no.1

Myself i like death magnetic and all the songs on it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,763 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

album has to be Ride The Lightning and song has to be The Unforgiven

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

im not sure I could ever choose between justice and master

the unforgiven 1? great song :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,763 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

the unforgiven 1? great song :)

the first 2 are, 3rd one not so much.

1 over 2 though but a lot of my friends prefer the 2nd one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

MOP and RTL for the albums. Songs would be The Thing That Should Not Be, Fight Fire With Fire, Battery, Orion and Dyers' Eve.

It's been 15 years since I got into them (and heavy metal in general), and only RTL and MOP do anything for me any more (not even K'EA and ...AJFA, with the aforementioned exception of Dyers' Eve).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Personally my favourite album is Death Magnetic. Production issues aside it always seems to be my go-to album for a Metallica fix. I much prefer Hetfields voice on DM, something about his vocals on early albums somewhat annoys me.

But favourite songs - Four Horsemen, Fade To Black, Disposable Heroes and All Nightmare Long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

Personally my favourite album is Death Magnetic. Production issues aside it always seems to be my go-to album for a Metallica fix.

Does not compute.

Richy06 wrote: »
    Does not compute.

Yes it does :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Looks like a 2 year wait for the next Metallica album

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/news/metallica-no-new-album-until-2015/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Next one should be their last. Bow out at the top...

I think Hetfield could make some very interesting solo country rock albums...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Looks like a 2 year wait for the next Metallica album

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/news/metallica-no-new-album-until-2015/

An interesting quote from that interview

He tells South Africa’s Channel 24: “It would surprise me if the next full-length record would come out before 2015. It takes us a while to make records, and we’re also so busy with so many other things. But we’ll get around to it eventually.”

Why would he say that? I reckon they're pretty happy with the way the extra DM songs went, they'll start releasing songs in batches of 4, cost of maybe 3/4 euro.

Why bother work their tits off on a full album and have people download it for free, i think they'll do maybe 2 4-track releease and see how they fare.

DM could quite possible be the last ever full album release from Metallica

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

scudzilla wrote: »
    Why would he say that? I reckon they're pretty happy with the way the extra DM songs went, they'll start releasing songs in batches of 4, cost of maybe 3/4 euro.

Why bother work their tits off on a full album and have people download it for free, i think they'll do maybe 2 4-track releease and see how they fare.

DM could quite possible be the last ever full album release from Metallica

You could well be right. They own their own recordings now and have their own label so it's completely under their control. Given their inclination for bouts of touring and various other projects,the next album could take a very long time. Seems that as they've gotten older they've grown more weary of the long tedious recording process and use any excuse to break up the process. A 2 or 3 month run in studio followed by a 4 song EP and some touring could be the way to go. They could keep repeating that process until it's time to call it a day.

I really hope they do know when to pack it in and don't struggle on playing greatest hits setlists and trading on old glories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

jeff-hanneman-james-hetfield.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Metallica night with the San Francisco Giants

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=26816223&c_id=mlb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Even for their national anthem Kirk couldn't leave the wah pedal at home!:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

I posted a cleaned up copy of Harvester a while back from this guys channel. Anyway, he seems to be going through old concerts and giving them an audio upgrade. The difference is mental, heres Mexico '93

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,187 ✭✭✭✭briany

Anyone wrote: »
    I posted a cleaned up copy of Harvester a while back from this guys channel. Anyway, he seems to be going through old concerts and giving them an audio upgrade. The difference is mental, heres Mexico '93

Sounds great. Really miss Jason's live backing vocals. He was a fantastic supplement to James.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Steve O

briany wrote: »
    Sounds great. Really miss Jason's live backing vocals. He was a fantastic supplement to James.

Pity James was an absolute cock to Jason, seems like a genuine guy.

Advertisement