Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,188 ✭✭✭✭briany

Come off it!! The guy is worth $100 million at least.

I'm just saying that even being worth X amount, at a certain level of lifestyle you're going to need an income stream to maintain it indefinitely. I don't know what his outgoings are, nor do I know how much of that 100 mil + is tied up. Until we're privy to his finances, the idea can at least be considered that his claim is not as ridiculous as it would first appear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

James comes out and says it straight in this interview,the touring is paying for the movie and their Orion festival. Makes sense rather than eating into their own finances,or at least that's how i'd approach it if in that position.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/1563129/metallica-has-enough-songs-for-next-album

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭nigeldinho

lord lucan wrote: »
    James comes out and says it straight in this interview,the touring is paying for the movie and their Orion festival. Makes sense rather than eating into their own finances,or at least that's how i'd approach it if in that position.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/1563129/metallica-has-enough-songs-for-next-album

Lars could just go and sell one of his horrid paintings to pay for the tour.

nigeldinho wrote: »
    Lars could just go and sell one of his horrid paintings to pay for the tour.

He could, but he won't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Didn't he flog a lot of his artwork a couple of years back? I remember reading that somewhere. He said something along the lines of he'd had his enjoyment from them and it was time for someone else to enjoy them as well.

• Advertisement

Didn't he flog a lot of his artwork a couple of years back? I remember reading that somewhere. He said something along the lines of he'd had his enjoyment from them and it was time for someone else to enjoy them as well.

He started getting rid of it years back iirc,there's a famous scene in the SKOM documentary of him at an auction of one of his pieces that goes for ridiculous money and he's drunk and thinks it's great gas. Sickening in a way but that's the world these guys inhabit,partly financed by many of us it has to be said.

He started getting rid of it years back iirc,there's a famous scene in the SKOM documentary of him at an auction of one of his pieces that goes for ridiculous money and he's drunk and thinks it's great gas. Sickening in a way but that's the world these guys inhabit,partly financed by many of us it has to be said.

SKOM probably hurt Metallica's image more than anything other one thing, imo, more than Napster, more than Load. It showed them as being a group of overly privileged and slightly neurotic men who lived in a bubble of wealth and fame. Not very metal at all, really. They seem to be a lot more down to earth these days though, which is good. I think really settling down and becoming family men had quite a bit of something to do with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

The Some Kind Of Monster documentary wasn't really needed, when Metallica were going through that rough patch they should've done it behind closed doors and kept it in house and not broadcast it to the whole world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

briany wrote: »
    SKOM probably hurt Metallica's image more than anything other one thing, imo, more than Napster, more than Load. It showed them as being a group of overly privileged and slightly neurotic men who lived in a bubble of wealth and fame. Not very metal at all, really. They seem to be a lot more down to earth these days though, which is good. I think really settling down and becoming family men had quite a bit of something to do with that.

Load is a vastly underrated album imo. Some great songs on it.

One of the reasons i have a lot of respect for them is because they went and put SKOM out. They could have buried it in a vault or threw it into the fire but they gave us a look at a band so far up their own arses and on the verge falling apart as a band. Many of our favourite bands probably have had similar episodes but we never hear of it and their image is kept intact and we laud them for it.

There's parts of SKOM that are cringeworthy and hard to watch but it's an amazing insight into a band of that stature. Napster is still used to bash them but again they took the hard route and went for it,a bit too gung ho imo,but stuck to their guns. Other artists who'd said they'd support them backed out at the last minute and left Metallica to face the backlash. I admire their fcuk you attitude.

• Advertisement

Load is a vastly underrated album imo. Some great songs on it.

I regard Load as being the pinnacle of their career, in some ways, musically speaking. A mature, rounded, diverse, deep and personal album. Great production, too. I was talking more about the image change, specifically the fur coat wearing, Cuban pimp stuff on the booklet and all that.
    One of the reasons i have a lot of respect for them is because they went and put SKOM out. They could have buried it in a vault or threw it into the fire but they gave us a look at a band so far up their own arses and on the verge falling apart as a band. Many of our favourite bands probably have had similar episodes but we never hear of it and their image is kept intact and we laud them for it.

There's parts of SKOM that are cringeworthy and hard to watch but it's an amazing insight into a band of that stature. Napster is still used to bash them but again they took the hard route and went for it,a bit too gung ho imo,but stuck to their guns. Other artists who'd said they'd support them backed out at the last minute and left Metallica to face the backlash. I admire their fcuk you attitude.

Yeah, SKOM's a very interesting film. I have it on DVD, but I was just observing how Load, Napster and SKOM have chipped away at Metallica's street cred all the same whether it's right or wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,131 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

millions of dollars change you for better or worse...they're doin alright considering

I regard Load as being the pinnacle of their career, in some ways, musically speaking. A mature, rounded, diverse, deep and personal album. Great production, too. I was talking more about the image change, specifically the fur coat wearing, Cuban pimp stuff on the booklet and

I think there's about one album's worth of great material across Load/ReLoad as there's plenty of filler on both of them. But if you were to pick the best 10-12 songs from both, you'd have a great album.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,131 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I think there's about one album's worth of great material across Load/ReLoad as there's plenty of filler on both of them. But if you were to pick the best 10-12 songs from both, you'd have a great album.

that's something i've always said. Metallica nearly broke up back then and those two albums bought them a lot of time...i doubt they were even talking after the black album tour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

I think Load on it's own is an incredible album, Re-Load, not so much. But what I like most about those 2 albums is that the band ventured into uncharted waters, and said "feck it, this is what we want to play, like it or leave it", whereas with St. Anger and Death Mag they just reverted to form and played it safe. Don't get me wrong, I think DM is an amazing album, but would rather they went back in the direction of developing their music rather than playing it safe. If I want to listen to AJFA, I'll listen to AJFA, I don't need a newer version of it.

that's something i've always said. Metallica nearly broke up back then and those two albums bought them a lot of time...i doubt they were even talking after the black album tour

They nearly broke up back around Load / Reload? How so? Just a result of a year and a half on the road probably.

I can only say that I've really enjoyed just about every song across those two albums at one time or another. Songs like Fixxxer, Ronnie, Mama Said, Low Man's Lyric and 2x4 are underrated songs from two underrated albums.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

more down to earth now someone said?

After the "metallica family" refrain i cringed and felt sorry for a band so far removed from reality, so in their own world.

They are and always will be a great band but their issues are far from resolved.

Where Lulu came from is a complete mystery to me, i thought James must be pilled out of his mind to come up with that one, the others too afraid to lose the gig to disagree, Lars probably thought he was making some wondereful aural art!

For the good music, and there is so much of it, we remain eternally grateful though!

more down to earth now someone said?

After the "metallica family" refrain i cringed and felt sorry for a band so far removed from reality, so in their own world.

They are and always will be a great band but their issues are far from resolved.

Where Lulu came from is a complete mystery to me, i thought James must be pilled out of his mind to come up with that one, the others too afraid to lose the gig to disagree, Lars probably thought he was making some wondereful aural art!

For the good music, and there is so much of it, we remain eternally grateful though!

i think that people getting all up in arms over the Metallica family stuff a bit ridiculous if I'm honest. The band is committed to taking it's music to the people (on MetBB, the complaint is they're touring too much), James is a happy family man, he's finally found a good balance between that and touring too, they're putting on festivals, they're putting out a film and they're all clean and sober. They're honestly at their most settled, open and well adjusted place that I've ever seen them in. They've moved beyond all that impenetrable tormented rock star ****e. True, Lars is Lars but beyond that I think they're very aware of their fans and the world for people in their position. One ham fisted attempt to reach out to fans and a crappy collaboration album does not make for an out of touch rocker in my opinion.

I can only say that I've really enjoyed just about every song across those two albums at one time or another. Songs like Fixxxer, Ronnie, Mama Said, Low Man's Lyric and 2x4 are underrated songs from two underrated albums.

Songs I think are filler and would have been better off left as b-sides are:

Cure
    Poor Twisted me
    Ronnie
    Devil's dance
    Better than you
    Slither
    Bad Seed
    Where the wild things are
    Prince Charming
    Attitude

• Advertisement

Songs I think are filler and would have been better off left as b-sides are:

Cure
    Poor Twisted me
    Ronnie
    Devil's dance
    Better than you
    Slither
    Bad Seed
    Where the wild things are
    Prince Charming
    Attitude

A lot of people would agree but I must reiterate that I've taken enjoyment from each one at one time or another. Ronnie was one of the first Metallica songs I hooked into on Load and I got into their entire catalog at pretty much the same time since my older brother owned it all. It still stood out to me amongst Seek, Sandman and Fade to Black etc. Poor Twisted Me, too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 79 ✭✭Deschain

i think that people getting all up in arms over the Metallica family stuff a bit ridiculous if I'm honest. The band is committed to taking it's music to the people (on MetBB, the complaint is they're touring too much), James is a happy family man, he's finally found a good balance between that and touring too, they're putting on festivals, they're putting out a film and they're all clean and sober. They're honestly at their most settled, open and well adjusted place that I've ever seen them in. They've moved beyond all that impenetrable tormented rock star ****e. True, Lars is Lars but beyond that I think they're very aware of their fans and the world for people in their position. One ham fisted attempt to reach out to fans and a crappy collaboration album does not make for an out of touch rocker in my opinion.

Still absolutely woeful live though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Metallica loves you!

Their best work hasn't come from being well-adjusted. I'm not going to begrudge them a sense of well-being. But I don't go to a 'tallica gig to feel the love in the air. Maiden have been fair better at playing the Blood Brothers card without sliding into therapy group hug rubbish.

ush wrote: »
    Metallica loves you!

Their best work hasn't come from being well-adjusted. I'm not going to begrudge them a sense of well-being. But I don't go to a 'tallica gig to feel the love in the air. Maiden have been fair better at playing the Blood Brothers card without sliding into therapy group hug rubbish.

That's one of the catch 22s of being a performer and artist where a lot of your best work comes from a place of unhappiness, having a hole to fill, having something prove etc. and when you get rich, when you get a family of your own, the respect of millions of people and just generally get past your issues, you're in the curious position of becoming successful as something you no longer are in some ways. Some people recognise and accept that change, some don't.

It's a change in their live approach for sure but then I can imagine old, old Metallica fans having similar complaints about how the live experience changed around the time of them getting big and moving from clubs to stadiums, girlies "who'd never listened to a damn metal song in their life" started showing up, people, and the band, were having a party to songs that sometimes, really, were not conducive to partying at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

That's one of the catch 22s of being a performer and artist where a lot of your best work comes from a place of unhappiness, having a hole to fill, having something prove etc. and when you get rich, when you get a family of your own, the respect of millions of people and just generally get past your issues, you're in the curious position of becoming successful as something you no longer are in some ways. Some people recognise and accept that change, some don't.

It's a change in their live approach for sure but then I can imagine old, old Metallica fans having similar complaints about how the live experience changed around the time of them getting big and moving from clubs to stadiums, girlies "who'd never listened to a damn metal song in their life" started showing up, people, and the band, were having a party to songs that sometimes, really, were not conducive to partying at all.

I know what you mean. First time I saw them was '96. I remember hearing some lads talking about seeing them in Dun Laoghaire or SFX. How everything was better. Might well have been. You can discuss that all night.

The feeling I get with Metallica is that their not past their issues. The whole Metallica family thing is over compensating for something. There's a lot of anxiety mixed with all that "love". I genuinely think they'd be better just accepting their core strengths. Nuts-and-bolts-AC/DC-give-the-punters-what-they-want-delivery.

ush wrote: »

The feeling I get with Metallica is that their not past their issues. The whole Metallica family thing is over compensating for something. There's a lot of anxiety mixed with all that "love". I genuinely think they'd be better just accepting their core strengths. Nuts-and-bolts-AC/DC-give-the-punters-what-they-want-delivery.

I think some of the awkwardness of James' love also stems from the fact that, as he sees it anyway, a Metallica show is now a multi generational event. This is one of the things he talks about a fair bit in interviews, that there's entire families going to shows, from grandfathers to little kids. So, the result is that he, as a caring family man himself, is sympathetic to that and is trying to say *Mellow Hetfield voice* "Hey, you're welcome to come and have a good time with Metallica whatever your age, whatever your gender, whatever your colour or creed. Nothin' but love, brotha. (rapid fire laugh)". Two side effects of that approach are the Metallica family stuff and a bland-ening of certain aspects of the show i.e. little to no swearing and the omission of certain kick arse Misfits/Anti-Nowhere League covers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,839 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Rumours MCD are applying for 2 more gigs at Marley Park this summer so that could mean a Metallica show in Dublin.

There on tour in asia in August but could swing over here its not impossible and it has been 2009 (well 2010 if you count Belfast) since they played here

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Metallica have confirmed their only European show for the summer
    http://www.metalhammer.co.uk/news/metallica-announce-only-european-summer-show-of-2013/

I was just rereading this and it's only Roskilde who are calling it the only European show. There's nothing on the bands site about it being their only European show. They've just added China for August and said there's a few more dates in August to be added.

Don't know why i'm even excited at the prospect of a show here,i'm not even sure i'd even bother going this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I was just rereading this and it's only Roskilde who are calling it the only European show. There's nothing on the bands site about it being their only European show. They've just added China for August and said there's a few more dates in August to be added.

Don't know why i'm even excited at the prospect of a show here,i'm not even sure i'd even bother going this time.

I'd go, simply because it's Metallica playing Dublin and i live here, but if they were to announce, say an outdoor Belfast show, no chance.

If the me now was to say that to the me of 20yrs ago i guess the now me would be ko'd

• Advertisement

I think I'd go regardless, missed the last one, though I'd kill for an indoor show over here! Been far too long.

Advertisement