Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD or TCD

Options
  • 14-04-2010 9:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭

Hi I am wondering which university is better for science ,I know what course I want to do so I dont need a big selection of degrees to choose from,
    I live closer to trinity than UCD ,I'm just wondering is there any real difference between them?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

I really don't think there is to be honest!

I'd go for Trinity because although now it may seem silly to pick a course based on where you live, you wont think that when you spent hours of your live getting the bus out to UCD!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

OP;

You have already posted this in both the TCD and UCD forum.

If you act like you did in either of those threads, the thread here will be locked......

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭macaronicheese

Fad wrote: »
    OP;

You have already posted this in both the TCD and UCD forum.

If you act like you did in either of those threads, the thread here will be locked......

:)
    Thanks I just want lots of opinions
    Your alegend nice guy

• Registered Users Posts: 47 C1ancy

UCD's far better I'm pretty sure the constitution says something like this.
    Where else can you be taught by Rod Gow????

C1ancy wrote: »
    How is it far better? and whos rod gow?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Neither. DCU Common Entry or DCU Science Education is where you want to be.

DC-who? DCU!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

C1ancy wrote: »

Isn't there a science lecturer in Trinity called Anal Cochram? That'd be a sure winner for me.

Isn't there a science lecturer in Trinity called Anal Cochram? That'd be a sure winner for me.

To be fair, there's a Professor Sidebottom in UCD.......

• Registered Users Posts: 47 C1ancy

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

Trinity seems to be a lot more advanced in their courses. Apparently when they cover the Leaving Cert courses in whatever you choose, it takes a week or two. So they obviously have a greater performance requirement. UCD is a bit more relaxed and there is less pressure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

It is up to you were you feel more comfortable in. TCD might seem to have the better reputation but if you are not comfortable with the campus, you will not be happy for 4 years. The end of the day they are both Science degrees

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭smartarse2007

tcd by far is the best choice for a science degree, the college is a leader in ireland for the sciences and also in some aspects a world leader in certain areas, there are huge amount of public private partnerships in tcd that are interested in the sciences , plus as mentioned above UCD is a horrible place to get to

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

plus as mentioned above UCD is a horrible place to get to

For you it is but for me it is very handy to get to

Ruski wrote: »
    Trinity seems to be a lot more advanced in their courses. Apparently when they cover the Leaving Cert courses in whatever you choose, it takes a week or two. So they obviously have a greater performance requirement. UCD is a bit more relaxed and there is less pressure.

I wouldnt really say so tbh, my inorganic chem (Having had 4 lectures so far....) seems to be miles ahead of 1st years in TCD.

Covering the LC too quickly just fúcks those who havent done the subject before over. I did LC chem, I did well, so I could choose a more advanced chem module during 1st semester rather than do an intro course.

UCD do exempt you from stuff if you do well enough in certain subjects. (I got an A2 in pass maths and as a result, I wasnt even allowed take intro to maths).

Less pressure thing isnt true either tbh. It's just different (And much better structured until Trinity semesterise properly). More degree options too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

I wouldnt really say so tbh, my inorganic chem (Having had 4 lectures so far....) seems to be miles ahead of 1st years in TCD.

Covering the LC too quickly just fúcks those who havent done the subject before over. I did LC chem, I did well, so I could choose a more advanced chem module during 1st semester rather than do an intro course.

UCD do exempt you from stuff if you do well enough in certain subjects. (I got an A2 in pass maths and as a result, I wasnt even allowed take intro to maths).

Less pressure thing isnt true either tbh. It's just different (And much better structured until Trinity semesterise properly). More degree options too...

He's right. Although I'd go as far as to say both courses are equally good but differ greatly in what moderaterships would be their best.

For example in TCD we no longer have a virology lecturer thus it's a serious blow to the microbiology degree whereas UCD have the national viral institute on campus, however we've mri's on campus whereas UCD apparently don't (open to correction on this) thus it's a major plus for neuroscience. Genetics is pretty famous in TCD whereas biochemistry is said to be broader in UCD.

UCD would probably let you tailor a degree to suit your interests alot better should you have a vague idea of what you'd like to do when you go in.

Craguls wrote: »
    He's right. Although I'd go as far as to say both courses are equally good but differ greatly in what moderaterships would be their best.

For example in TCD we no longer have a virology lecturer thus it's a serious blow to the microbiology degree whereas UCD have the national viral institute on campus, however we've mri's on campus whereas UCD apparently don't (open to correction on this) thus it's a major plus for neuroscience. Genetics is pretty famous in TCD whereas biochemistry is said to be broader in UCD.

UCD would probably let you tailor a degree to suit your interests alot better should you have a vague idea of what you'd like to do when you go in.

No idea if there's an mri on campus, it'd be either in the school of medicine (for the radiographers) or in the conway institute, and I have very limited access to that building...(lotsa expensive stuff is in there, it scares me a little too)

St.Vincents University Hospital has some affiliation with UCD (The fúcking bins down there have UCD crests on them too, and I would assume there's MRIs for research down there (ie walking distance from UCD).

tcd by far is the best choice for a science degree, the college is a leader in ireland for the sciences and also in some aspects a world leader in certain areas, there are huge amount of public private partnerships in tcd that are interested in the sciences , plus as mentioned above UCD is a horrible place to get to

Is it ? the best choice for earth science too?

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

It depends on everybody, I had my heart set on TCD admittedly the whole "Trinity student" title was pretty cool :rolleyes: but then I went to the open day and HATED it, just felt it didnt suit me at all, very pressurised and gloomy, but then when I saw UCD and its all so open and bright and just would suit me much much more.

But different strokes for different folks eh :)

aine92 wrote: »
    It depends on everybody, I had my heart set on TCD admittedly the whole "Trinity student" title was pretty cool :rolleyes: but then I went to the open day and HATED it, just felt it didnt suit me at all, very pressurised and gloomy, but then when I saw UCD and its all so open and bright and just would suit me much much more.

But different strokes for different folks eh :)

How is it gloomy and pressurized , UCD big alright , I think you are afraid you wont get the points so are making excuses already :P

Anyway I want to do environmental science or environmental biology or earth science or geology ... TCD or UCD ????

How is it gloomy and pressurized , UCD big alright , I think you are afraid you wont get the points so are making excuses already :P

Anyway I want to do environmental science or environmental biology or earth science or geology ... TCD or UCD ????

Do not ask for my opinion, or anyone elses here If you're simply going to be totally rude about what I think. Im not choosing UCD for lower points, I could go somewhere else if that was the case, I prefer the college and the campus...very insulting to have that said about you.

• Advertisement

aine92 wrote: »
    Do not ask for my opinion, or anyone elses here If you're simply going to be totally rude about what I think. Im not choosing UCD for lower points, I could go somewhere else if that was the case, I prefer the college and the campus...very insulting to have that said about you.

Sorry , I didn't mean to hurt your feelings
    But lets face it , the points for TCD are high,I was just saying

But you sounded like little things made you choose UCD over TCD , like more colourful the prospectus book for UCD is nice and colourful

Sorry , I didn't mean to hurt your feelings
    But lets face it , the points for TCD are high,I was just saying

But you sounded like little things made you choose UCD over TCD , like more colourful the prospectus book for UCD is nice and colourful

Little things are what make college more enjoyable......keep that in mind.

If a college is grand overall, but there's heaps of little things wrong with it, you will go insane......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 remjem6666

Hi did anyone else hear that American College Dublin was closing? I was speaking with people from there that almost 80 students left to go to other colleges this year.
    Its obvious that the college is not doing well. I am a student there and i can see that its only full of Indian students and that there is not money being spent on anything

Little things are what make college more enjoyable......keep that in mind.

If a college is grand overall, but there's heaps of little things wrong with it, you will go insane......

Is there heaps of little things wrong with TCD?
    But the colour of the prospectus is rather silly , other than that I don't see much colour difference ,only the UCD logo which is nice

Theres absolutely nothing wrong with TCD, loads of my friends go there and love it, it depends on the person.

I think college is just what you make it, I doubt a med graduate from TCD will come out more educated than a UCD med graduate, or vice versa.

At the end of the day, If you're gonna be stuck there for 4, 5, 6 years even the little things should be important to you.

Sorry for snapping, bloody flu going around my school which is making it impossible to try study with my head down without semi suffocating.... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Tiroskan

But the colour of the prospectus is rather silly , other than that I don't see much colour difference ,only the UCD logo which is nice

I'm honestly curious about whether or not you're trolling at this point. A little bit of me hopes so, since if not you're just an utter prat.

At the end of the day it comes down to personal feeling. If you end up doing a course you love in a college you hate or are unhappy in, odds are you're not going to graduate. I attend DCU and never bothered applying to any other colleges and the fact that I love where I go is half the incentive to study and do well. Some people will be happy anywhere. From the sound of it I'd say you'd be happy enough at either, so you may as well go for the nearer one.

Dont go to TCD so it's not my place to list off what's wrong with it.

In all seriousness though, I'm with Tiroskan on this, keep going the way you're going and I'm gonna lock the thread (Be a bit more civil please)

I have been civil , I didn't call anyone a prat did I ?
    I didn't even think boggers used the word prat ?

Anyway DCU has a bad range of science courses , might be ok for nursing and good for Business

But its looking like TCD , I want to win the schols and bed hot girls in my on campus accommodation

I have been civil , I didn't call anyone a prat did I ?
    I didn't even think boggers used the word prat ?

Anyway DCU has a bad range of science courses , might be ok for nursing and good for Business

But its looking like TCD , I want to win the schols and bed hot girls in my on campus accommodation

This:

But really, I think your last post was enough for this thread....

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement