Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

post pregnancy body bits and complaints

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Hacked get yourself a bottle of Capasal Herbal... its about €7ish but its a strong tea tree shampoo and it's great for an itchy head!!

You'll pick it up in a chemists...

I now have a stupid ring around my hairline, of hair about a half inch long.. it looks feckin ridiculous...

and i've broken out in spots.. all in time for the busiest social weekend of my year... thurs i had my brothers show in the concert hall friday i had Dara o Briain in vicar st and sunday i had my nephews christening... i had to stick every hair in place.. i kid you not.. :eek:

It did slow down and i thought it was finished but i hurt my ankle i wasn't sleeping well for about 3 weeks.. then i got a cold sore and the hair started falling out again.. it's so annoying

other than that i've no complaints :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭hacked

Thanks cbyrd...will have to give it a go. On second thoughts i hope it's not a developing skin condition....eczema and psoriasis run in my family.

ah girls, this is the time to try the hat look :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

if its red itchy and scaly then it'd be worth getting the gp to look at it.

ask the pharmacist to have a look and they can recommend something

but the capasal herbal is great for the bog standard itchy head and if you're scratching try not to use your nails... that'll make it worse (the whole breaking the skin bacteria get in and make the itch) :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Nicki123

Hacked, I wonder would it be itchy from the new baby hairs growing in? I swear I lost about half the hair off my head after have my daughter and now I have a rather attractive couple of inches of new hair that sticks up everywhere :rolleyes: It was a bit itchey as it was coming in though....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 prissylee

I have a different complaint than the ones previously raised...

My child is now 11 mths and I was very good for doing pelvic floor exercises for first 2-3 months or so. Then I stopped as just didn't find the time to do them. Now I'm back doing them again for lst 2 mths, but wondering am I wasting my time! I still find i leak if I laugh too much, run, sneeze too hard, or make a sudden change in movement.

Is this something us women just have to put up with as a result of giving birth or are there other ways I can improve my muscles down there!? I had a natural birth by the way with no complications.

Tnx

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

prissylee wrote: »
    I have a different complaint than the ones previously raised...

My child is now 11 mths and I was very good for doing pelvic floor exercises for first 2-3 months or so. Then I stopped as just didn't find the time to do them. Now I'm back doing them again for lst 2 mths, but wondering am I wasting my time! I still find i leak if I laugh too much, run, sneeze too hard, or make a sudden change in movement.

Is this something us women just have to put up with as a result of giving birth or are there other ways I can improve my muscles down there!? I had a natural birth by the way with no complications.

Tnx

Could you go to your GP and ask? I personally don't have any leaking problems so I know it's not "just the way it is."

If you think your exercises aren't effective you could try a kegelciser device.

Thanks for that das kitty. It happens on and off, but not every day. Might check out that kegelciser thing - don't know what it is, but will google it! Will see how I am then in next few weeks. Interesting to hear that it's not the norm.... it's annoying more than anything and dont want to be stuck with it forever either!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

Das Kitty wrote: »
    If you think your exercises aren't effective you could try a kegelciser device.
    I just looked that up! Is it just a giant dildo, or does it actually do something? Quite kinky looking, I might get myself one in any case...:p
    http://www.kegelcisor.com/index.html
    (It gets 5 stars on Amazon, it must be doing something right!)

It's like weight training for your pelvic floor muscles!

I know everyone is different, but I've never heard a first time mum complain of that problem? Usually women I hear talking of those problems have had two plus kids! Maybe go get yourself looked at to be on the safe side?

• Advertisement

hacked wrote: »
    I know everyone is different, but I've never heard a first time mum complain of that problem? Usually women I hear talking of those problems have had two plus kids! Maybe go get yourself looked at to be on the safe side?
    I have the occasional leak when I have a bad cough (or when I'm retching with morning sickness:() and I only have the one child. It's gotten worse since I stopped doing yoga, I really need to go back. Yoga rocks. And keeps you dry.

I have the occasional leak when I have a bad cough (or when I'm retching with morning sickness:() and I only have the one child. It's gotten worse since I stopped doing yoga, I really need to go back. Yoga rocks. And keeps you dry.

Cat Melodeon - I'm glad I'm not the only one so with this problem. Hacked was freaking me out a bit there, as I was thinking there has to be other first time mums with this problem. When I googled the kegelcisor, it seems thousands of women in US suffer from this type of thing...although you can never trust those US sites sometimes! It's an expensive instrument, even if it's only to give pleasure for some..!!! (Loved ur previous comment cat mel!) Gonna keep going with my pelvic exercises and take up yoga maybe too-that's a good idea. Will give it another month or two before investigating further.. Thanks for ur replies guys

Prissy, one other thing that definitely has an impact is if you are carrying extra weight (like me). I don't know if it applies to you, but if a person has weakened pelvic floor muscles, being overweight can exacerbate the problem. Apart from the yoga thing, I find that the more pregnant I get, the less secure I am of maintaining full control. I was overweight to start off with, but a rapidly growing baby doesn't help! I had managed to lose some weight before I got pregnant this time, I'm absolutely determined to get rid of the rest once babs is born. It's bad enough heading for middle age being a bit fat, but being middle-aged, fat AND smelling of wee is not an ambition of mine!
    If you're not overweight, just concentrate on the kegels. And if you fancy yoga but don't know if you'd like to do a full class, I can recommend the Tara Lee Post Natal Yoga DVD, but you have to do it regularly.

Thanks for that cat mel. I'm not overweight so can't attribute that to it! Guess im just unlucky to have got weakened pelvic floor muscles from having me babs. Not that im complaining, wouldn't change things for the world. Congrats on being preggers with no 2 by the way! Best of luck with rest of ur pregnancy. And thanks for the dvd recommendation. Might sound like a better option, cos even though yoga sounds great, I probably wouldn't do a full class. Working full time, & being an hours commute away from home, i like to spend the rest of my time with babs in evening. You know yourself! Thanks again for your comments.

Prissylee, you can still go to the Public Health Nurse.

There's a chance that the way you're doing your pelvic floor exercises isn't effective, they might be able to help.

Whatever you do, don't accept it long term, it is very rare that something can't be done. It's affecting your quality of life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

prissylee I remember seeing the kegelcisor on uk morning tv a few years ago and women were saying how fantastic it was.

I do mine now while I pee (sorry!) so I can really feel the muscle working. I found it very difficult to feel the muscle contract otherwise.

prissylee I remember seeing the kegelcisor on uk morning tv a few years ago and women were saying how fantastic it was.

I do mine now while I pee (sorry!) so I can really feel the muscle working. I found it very difficult to feel the muscle contract otherwise.

how can you do it while you pee??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

Stopping and starting the flow!(Sorry TMI :o)

As Lola92 said and count to 10 x 6 times and try to do this 2 or 3 times. The only thing to be careful of is emptying your bladder fully otherwise you could end up making matters worse.

On another topic would a corset help get a post baby tummy back in shape? I've only got a few (4-5) lbs to lose to be back to prepregnancy weight but I've got a jelly belly.

I'm breastfeeding a 6 month old. I'm back to my pre baby diet (generally healthy with very few treats) and go for walks regularly and do Pilates so I am active but the belly isn't reducing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

How Strange I think give yourself a few months & things should go back into place of their own accord.
    I had the jelly belly til about 9-10 months before things started to go back of their own accord without me doing additional exercise/change of diet.

The best advice I read was that it takes 9 months to expand your body to that size so you should give yourself 9 months for it to go back down again.

Lol Cat Melodeon @ your comments about the kegelciser, might buy one myself :D

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Prissylee, you can still go to the Public Health Nurse.

There's a chance that the way you're doing your pelvic floor exercises isn't effective, they might be able to help.

Whatever you do, don't accept it long term, it is very rare that something can't be done. It's affecting your quality of life.

Das Kit - thanks for that tip. I actually never thought of looking for help from the PH nurse. You know when you go back to work, ya forget that they're still there to help. Will def have chat with her soon. I have a feeling I'm doing them right alright, but she may have other ideas.

Thanks how strange. That's funny you do yours in loo. I take it it works for you then and you've had no leaks? Do you think it's effective? How many rounds of 10 seconds would u be able to do per visit(sorry tmi!)? I do mine in car in traffic or while sitting and can still feel muscles contract.

Advertisement