Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Andersin Silva will face Chael Sonnen next and will be cut if he dances!

• 14-04-2010 10:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

Just announced by Dana White on the Rome is burning tv show on ESPN US.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

hmmmm is a very apt user name to post this :D

Dana would never let Silva go to Strikeforce, percieved box office cancer or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭hmmmmmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

What happened to vitor?

This is SO Pro Wrestling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Fear Uladh

Andersin?? AH I see what ya did ;)

Any idea what card?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Chillaxe wrote: »
    Andersin?? AH I see what ya did ;)

Any idea what card?

UFC 117 in Utah apparently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

I'd love to see Chael have a go first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I'd love to see Chael have a go first.

I wouldn't because Chael is going to get smashed!

I think Vitor might have the formula to beat Silva though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,479 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Dana White bull-waffle at it's best.

First no matter how bad Silva performs there's no way the UFC are going to release one of the hottest properties in MMA. SF would snap him up in a flash and put him against Fedor in what would be one of the biggest fights in history.

Plus if Anderson is still looking to box Roy Jones all he'd have to do is stink the place up against Sonnen and he's free and clear. He apparently signed a new 8 fight deal recently so there's no way he'll be cut. If DW is annoyed enough at him he can just give him 1 fight a year for the next 7 years. If he's ever cut I'll eat my hat.

This is DW posturing and playing the media and fans the same way he did with Brock's illness. Of course it could have ended Brock's career but long after DW knew he was OK and knew he'd be back, he played up the "life-threatening" aspect to milk it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

What happened to vitor?

He wont dance with Vitor, the phenom would smash him if he did, would have to fight in that 1.. C'Mon Dana let Vitor at him..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

this is not "making it up to the fans", DW needs to make the vitor fight, thats what we all want to see

What is with all the belfort nuthugging? Belfort wouldn't have the capability to beat Anderson on his feet, maybe on the ground, but I still think Anderson would finish him off, ffs he destroyed henderson on the ground and he is ranked number 2 middleweight in the world, I think everyone is letting their hatred of Anderson cloud their judgement fightwise and playing into dana whites hands.

My point is that Sonnen was going to be a replacement for the injured belfort. Surely belfort would still be the number 1 contender once hes healthy.

Belfort is a finisher on his feet, he comes to take your head off, i'd put belfort ahead of silva on there feet, 1 thing i do know is he would not prick about with the phenom. i've said that for a long time, not just now that silva is'nt flavour of the month.

cowzerp wrote: »
    Belfort is a finisher on his feet, he comes to take your head off, i'd put belfort ahead of silva on there feet, 1 thing i do know is he would not prick about with the phenom. i've said that for a long time, not just now that silva is'nt flavour of the month.

Silva made a point that he was not to be disrespected, if he gets into the ring with belfort he will fight to the finish, I remember not so long ago certain people were saying dan hendo was goin to finish silva but it wasnt to be.He will more than willing to knock seven shades out of sonnen. Why isnt anybody saying anything about sonnens disrespectful statements about anderson? Anderson will put him out on his feet.

Silva made a point that he was not to be disrespected,

What point did he make? That he will fight for 2 rounds then act like a complete knob for the remainder of the fight. From what i saw it was far more anderson refusing to engage than maia. Maia tried to leave it all out there and anderson just played the safe fight and jabbed maia for 3 rounds.
    Also he still never said exactly what it was maia said to disrespect him.
    All maia said was that his bjj is far better than andersons.
    Although sonnen could probably beat belfort id say the only man with a chance of beating silva is belfort right now in the ufc.

What point did he make? That he will fight for 2 rounds then act like a complete knob for the remainder of the fight. From what i saw it was far more anderson refusing to engage than maia. Maia tried to leave it all out there and anderson just played the safe fight and jabbed maia for 3 rounds.
    Also he still never said exactly what it was maia said to disrespect him.
    All maia said was that his bjj is far better than andersons.
    Although sonnen could probably beat belfort id say the only man with a chance of beating silva is belfort right now in the ufc.

He goaded maia into exchanging, maia just stood there like a frozen monkey for 4 and a half rounds, watch the fight again im sure you will agree. I have no qualms that silva made an ass out of himself, im just saying people are now trying to put opponants out there saying silva cant beat them when the reality is very different.

Silva made a point that he was not to be disrespected/QUOTE]

The issue was that he made it over and over and over and over again. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Are you sure?

Silva is on a different level in the stand-up to Belfort. The best chance Belfort has is to use his fast hands, try close the distance and then look to get the fight to the ground. Id give him a chance on the ground but only just.

Silva is just on a different level to everyone in his division and he needs to either move up in weight or GSP to come up and challenge him.

• Advertisement

Are you sure?

Silva is on a different level in the stand-up to Belfort. The best chance Belfort has is to use his fast hands, try close the distance and then look to get the fight to the ground. Id give him a chance on the ground but only just.

Silva is just on a different level to everyone in his division and he needs to either move up in weight or GSP to come up and challenge him.

Belfort is fast and very strong, if he gets in boxing range with silva then yes i do believe he will win, and guess where Silva is most dangerous, Boxing range so he'll need to go there too to beat Belfort, he's not going to stay out kicking as thats not his style, maybe he'll use the clinch but that does not make sense for a fighter who is not keen on engaging his opponents, he did not even engage maia when he was willing to stand toe to toe!

on the ground this would be unknown, both are black belts in BJJ who prefer to stand, i've seen more of Belfort on the ground and he is slick so certainly would not say its 1 way traffic anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Belfort is fast and very strong, if he gets in boxing range with silva then yes i do believe he will win, and guess where Silva is most dangerous, Boxing range so he'll need to go there too to beat Belfort, he's not going to stay out kicking as thats not his style, maybe he'll use the clinch but that does not make sense for a fighter who is not keen on engaging his opponents, he did not even engage maia when he was willing to stand toe to toe!

on the ground this would be unknown, both are black belts in BJJ who prefer to stand, i've seen more of Belfort on the ground and he is slick so certainly would not say its 1 way traffic anyway.

Idk, I think you are under estimating how strong Silva's stand up is. He is a good class above Belfort in this regard. Yes Belfort's strength is in his hands at boxing range but that does not negate the fact that he is still inferior to Silva here. If he stays in boxing range he will be eating strikes from all sorts of angles.

I wouldnt use the Maia fight as a gauge for the way this fight will go. Silva will not be as aprehensive to keep the fight on the feet this time around. against Maia he was constantly positioning himself to defend the takedown and this threw his timing off in places.

Against Belfort this will not be the case as I think he will be more comfortable with the fight going to the ground (obv prefer to keep it standing) and therefore he can take more risks on his feet.

I can only see this fight going one way - An early to mid stoppage for Silva.

Idk, I think you are under estimating how strong Silva's stand up is. He is a good class above Belfort in this regard. Yes Belfort's strength is in his hands at boxing range but that does not negate the fact that he is still inferior to Silva here. If he stays in boxing range he will be eating strikes from all sorts of angles..

You say it like as if its fact!

In my opinion your wrong, Belfort is the more deadly striker imo, Silva has impressed against grapplers when striking, Belfort has destroyed good strikers such as wanderlei, franklin, since 2007 he is training better and has not lost, Belfort peak = Tyson of mma.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Dana White bull-waffle at it's best.

Exactly. This is pure 100% Dana "Really I'm out of the Tito Ortiz business and I got a major announcement that will rock this sport to its foundations." White horse manure.

No matter how terribly Anderson fights against Chael he's not going to be released. Dana will not risk Anderson being picked by Strikeforce, Dream or any other company looking for a big name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Ryan Roddy

I was talking to a fella that goes back and forward to Nogueria gym in Brazil and they were saying that Belfort came to spar with Anderson in preparation for the Franklin fight, and belfort left the gym crying in frustration because he was so outclassed.

If thats true then maybe thats why there isnt a massive amount of publicity coming from Belfort about a fight with Anderson.

Also I think people under estimate sonnens wrestling, I think he could take Anderson down, and keep him there.

Just my thoughts.

Ryan Roddy wrote: »
    Also I think people under estimate sonnens wrestling, I think he could take Anderson down, and keep him there.
    For 5 rounds?

Ryan Roddy wrote: »

Hendo tried that and look what happened.

Advertisement