Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Robbies/Luaths

Options
  • 14-04-2010 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭

Does anybody use Robbies or Luaths holistic foods?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I tried the Luaths working dog and it didn't agree with my dogs at all. However I know other people who feed it, and their dogs are doing great on it. If I had the time and money, I would have liked to have tried the Robbies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

My guys are on Robbies since last September/October and they have never, ever been better - and I have always fed them premium brands like Arden Grange, Burns, James Wellbeloved, etc. etc! They have more energy and you would not believe the shine on their coats. They also really enjoy the food. ;)

I know a few folks who feed their dogs Luath and ISDW's been the first person to report back that it didn't suit their dogs - anyone else I know who tried it finds it great. But it's true that there's no food out there that suits every dog. The Robbies is very low-fat so if you have a dog that you find it hard to keep weight on, then I wouldn't recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Thanks guys. Our puppy is 9 months at the moment and is on RC. I've been thinking of switching him because his tummy is a bit sensitive at times and all of the senstive foods - hills/rc etc etc are all for adult dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Tony H

i tried my Golden Retriever and he did not like it , but I know a few people whose dogs really like it .

Our guy is a golden retriever too - but he'll eat ANYTHING! :D

EDIT - boomerang how long do you need to soak it for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I got a free sample of the stuff and the dogs loved it, you soak it for few mins(about 5 i think or just enough time to cool it), this was what worried me as I don't brush their teeth(have tried many times, must try again now they're older) and worry about their teeth.
    The cost and the shipping worked out very expensive, and mine seem to like the royal canin and are doing well on it so I stuck with it.

Because it is a natural food with no artificial ingredients, I don't find the fact that it's a soft food causes any problems with their teeth. It's not sticky, like canned food, and it doesn't contain added sugar or any other nasties. My guys get fresh marrowbones once or twice a week anyways, which keeps their teeth pearly white. :D

I order mine from an online petshop in Cork - it's €50 for a 10kg bag, which lasts me about a month for two collies (one is 16kg, the other 22kg.) I usually order two bags at a time, as orders over €50 qualify for free shipping. Bear in mind that a 10kg bag makes 20kg of food, when it's re-hydrated.

You only need to soak it until it's cool. You don't poor boiling water on it - just hot water. You add equal amount hot water to food and you feed 8-10g of food per day per kilo of body weight. :) I've begun soaking it well in advance of feeding it so that the water is fully absorbed into the food. I feed my guys twice a day so I usually make their morning feed the night before.

If you need to make it in a hurry you can poor the hot water on as normal, and then stand the dish in about an inch of cold water in the sink so it cools faster. ;)

My aunt is feeding it to her Japanese Spitz who has a very delicate tummy and before going on the Robbies, the only thing she could tolerate was Royal Canin sensitive, which is about €85 for a 10kg bag! :eek: I wouldn't rate Royal Canin or particularly Hill's very highly - something like Robbies, Luath, Burns, Arden Grange or Orijen would be made of much better quality ingredients and no harmful additives. ;)

Edited to add: OP if you email George at Land of Holistic Pets he will send you out some samples and info. :)

Just to update I picked up a bag of Robbies at the weekend and he loves it and no 'side-effects' so far :D I'm mixing it half and half with his RC for the time being to get him used to it and to finish off the RC but so far so good. It's better value than I thought as well so i'll probably end up saving a few €s so thanks everybody for your advise! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Where can these products be bought? I've never seen them in a shop or on a website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

Lemlin wrote: »
    Where can these products be bought? I've never seen them in a shop or on a website.

www.mobilepetshop.ie

www.landofholisticpets.co.uk (the guy who produces this food is a brother of Burns dog food - they went their separate ways.)

• Advertisement

Lemlin wrote: »

I got ours in Dog Training Ireland (he does training there and they recommend it - i just wanted some expert boardsie advise before buying :D )

paultf wrote: »
    www.mobilepetshop.ie

www.landofholisticpets.co.uk (the guy who produces this food is a brother of Burns dog food - they went their separate ways.)

There are no prices on mobilepetshop. How much do they charge for this food?

paultf wrote: »
    www.mobilepetshop.ie

Is Luath as good as Robbies do people find? Luath is cheaper.

Bear in mind that you can't do a direct cost comparison based on the weight of the product as the Robbies makes double once re-hydrated. ;) I think the feeding costs work out the same.

The prices are there on the Mobile Pet Shop website - it's approx €52 euro for a 10kg bag of Robbies with free delivery on orders over €50. A 10kg bag lasts me four weeks for two collies, which works out at about 80 cent per dog, per day. Considering it's such a wholesome food, I think that price is pretty great!

Just to update again...I'm going to try him on Burns for the reason I can get get it on zooplus or the petshop and get rewards/free stuff etc!! Also I keep forgetting to soak the food the night before and he barks the house down at 6:30am waiting for his breakfast to be ready! :D I want him off the RC thou he has pano and going by posts on forums a lot of dogs with pano seem to have been on the same type of RC - it has 32% protein so maybe too much for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

I jsut started feeding my little one on this, was given a sample at the Pet Expo and it seems to be agreeing with her tummy better than the Royal Canin. She had been eating her poo :eek: we were told that it this happens alot with the RC, luckily she has not been eating as much since changing over!!!!

It is a shame that it isn't easier to get though.

sambuka41 wrote: »
    It is a shame that it isn't easier to get though.

tbh thats what made me switch him to Burns - if I run out I can get it in a vets near where I work. He's done really well on Burns so glad I changed him to it - I wish I had of tried it sooner!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

My Old English Sheepdog is on the Luaths dry food and absolutely loves it.
    I also get it in Dog Training Ireland, but it's certainly a shame that it's not more readily available

Advertisement