Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to transfer files to new computer?

• 14-04-2010 11:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭

I am upgrading my six year old desktop to a new laptop and wonder what is the best way to transfer my files and programmes. I will be transferring from Windows XP to Windows 7. It has been suggested to me that I buy a special cable for the transfer at a cost of about €30. But I have an external Iomega hard drive for backup on my existing computer and wonder if using this to download files and then to upload them onto the new laptop would achieve the same result? Any hints/advice on the most efficient way to do this would be welcome; I don't relish the prospect of transferring hundreds of individual files. I note for example that if I right click on items on my desktop the options include "send to" and the destinations include the Iomega external drive. Can I use this option to transfer complete folders and their content, for example everything in My Documents or in My Pictures or in My Music? And can I transfer entire programmes this way? Someone told me that for programmes, eg Microsoft Word, as distinct from their content files, I will need the original installation discs or to download the programme again from the relevant website.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭zodac

Using the external drive would be the best way of doing it. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭softdancomputer

You cannot transfer programs.
    You can transfer your files.
    External hard is the best option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

If you want a nice wizard to help you you can use the Windows Easy Transfer with you usb hard drive. There is a step by step guide here http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Transfer-files-and-settings-from-another-computer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭Aeneas

Thanks for the replies which are very helpful. I have looked at the demonstration video and information text for Windows Easy Transfer and it looks like that together with my external hard drive will do the job for my files. My main problem now is that I have some programmes for example Lotus Organiser with diary info, addresses and other data which date back about fifteen years. I would like to keep this. The thing is I no longer have the installation discs and the programme has long been dropped by Lotus/IBM. Is there any way I can transfer the programme from my old to my new computer? Could I for example go into My Computer, open the C drive, open Programme Files, find the Lotus Organiser folder, right click on it, and using the "send to" facility send the folder to my external hard disc and then transfer it to the C drive on my new laptop? Would this work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Generally you cannot move programmes around like that unless they are designed to be portable. You can certainly move the data associated with them once you know where it is located. But you would still need to reinstall the programme on the new pc to access the data. Another possibility would be if you could export the data from Lotus Organizer and import it into Microsoft Outlook (Assuming you have Outlook on the new pc of course). I see in MS Outlook it has an option of importing Lotus Organizer 4.x and 5.x.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭softdancomputer

If just Lotus is the one you want to keep data, you have to decide to what other PIM software you want to migrate; as far as i know IBM is still supporting version 6.x, but just for up to Win XP.
    Here is a guide for getting data from LO to Outlook

Advertisement