Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Support F1 idea for Dublin!!!

• 14-04-2010 11:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Formula 1 Motor racing in Dublin Inner City
    www.yourcountryyourcall.com No: D5673 : Tourism & Hospitality

Approximately 16 years ago I submitted a report for Formula 1 Motor Racing in Dublin’s Inner City. The proposed track was designed in consultation with Motor Clubs in Ireland, North and South, the feasibility of closing the relevant part of the city was discussed with Chief and Assistant Chief Superintendant of Traffic who said it was entirely feasible. The effects on other organisations such as IDA, Failte Ireland ,FAS, CII and Dublin Corporation and the part that they would play was outlined and the report was sent to all parties. The then Minister did not run with the idea and I resubmitted the proposal some three years later, again it was not taken up.

The proposal is entirely feasible; there is a vacancy in Formula 1 Racing for another Inner City race. Since my original submission the info structure in the surrounding area has been greatly enhanced and would contribute greatly to the proposal, the facilitates that now exist that did not exist 16 years ago include the Dublin Tunnel, the Lucas line, the Docklands station, the Clontarf Railway Station, the O2 Arena, the opening of the Conference Centre, the Grand Canal Theatre and several new hotels in the adjoining area.

This project, if implemented, would be a greater event than the Ryder Cup, then the Soccer world cup being held in Ireland or any other such world event. It was then and it is now totally achievable. Please read South Korea comments on their upcoming event.
    "a landmark for our tourism and auto industries".
    “ Will be more beneficial then hosting of world cup and Olympic games”

I am resubmitting my proposal without any changes to what I wrote 16 years ago. The Irish tourism industry needs this project.

To Vote: Log on to www.yourcountryyourcall.com Register. You will be sent an email with your registration details.
    Look up projects, our project is under the title Tourism & Hospitality and if searched for under this category by most supported we are on 3rd page presentl

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

yeah good luck with that...

Racing on the streets of Dublin, pass. it would be awful, I can't think of anywhere that would provide an interesting track. Never mind the total lack of facilities and the fact that the road would need to be resurfaced every year to meet the required track standard and cope with the traffic. with the state of most of the roads you'd be better of trying to get a stage of the world rally.

Plus the cost of the event itself held here would be prohibitive, the tickets would end up extortionately expensive, like everything else here and it would lose fantastically huge amounts of money.

The last thing F1 needs is another crap street track, they need to learn that Aus and Monico are unique and that the new attempt such as Singapore are crap.

(plus any pitstops on the north side will end up with car on bricks, if you think an F1 team can change tyres fast...:D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

Good luck with the proposal but unfortunately I don't see it 'gaining much traction', excuse the pun.

We recently successfully ran a WRC event (although not profitably, nor tourism friendly with the scavengers in the North West taking every visitor for the scraps of change left in their pockets after robbing them for accommodation.)

Even this event which was popular with the teams and competitors for the stages and challenging conditions and doesn’t come with a circa $24 million licence fee from F1 & Bernie Ecclestone has since moved on...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭smooch71

Much an all as I'd love to see it happen. It ain't gonna.

We have f*ck all deserts and the thick black liquid we produce in this country is not oil.

smooch71 wrote: »
    We have f*ck all deserts and the thick black liquid we produce in this country is not oil.

they've found loads it off Dalkey so tick that box :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

Can't build a decent road / motorway, how the **** you gonna build a racetrack.....???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

With Britain, France, Belgium etc. struggling to keep their Grand Prix, I think it's incredibly unlikely that Bernie could be arsed about Ireland.

The sooner he packs off to the big pit garage in the sky the better, stop sending F1 to backward counties with awful tracks :(

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭heffomike54

gamblo wrote: »
    Formula 1 Motor racing in Dublin Inner City
    www.yourcountryyourcall.com No: D5673 : Tourism & Hospitality

Approximately 16 years ago I submitted a report for Formula 1 Motor Racing in Dublin’s Inner City. The proposed track was designed in consultation with Motor Clubs in Ireland, North and South, the feasibility of closing the relevant part of the city was discussed with Chief and Assistant Chief Superintendant of Traffic who said it was entirely feasible. The effects on other organisations such as IDA, Failte Ireland ,FAS, CII and Dublin Corporation and the part that they would play was outlined and the report was sent to all parties. The then Minister did not run with the idea and I resubmitted the proposal some three years later, again it was not taken up.

The proposal is entirely feasible; there is a vacancy in Formula 1 Racing for another Inner City race. Since my original submission the info structure in the surrounding area has been greatly enhanced and would contribute greatly to the proposal, the facilitates that now exist that did not exist 16 years ago include the Dublin Tunnel, the Lucas line, the Docklands station, the Clontarf Railway Station, the O2 Arena, the opening of the Conference Centre, the Grand Canal Theatre and several new hotels in the adjoining area.

This project, if implemented, would be a greater event than the Ryder Cup, then the Soccer world cup being held in Ireland or any other such world event. It was then and it is now totally achievable. Please read South Korea comments on their upcoming event.
    "a landmark for our tourism and auto industries".
    “ Will be more beneficial then hosting of world cup and Olympic games”

I am resubmitting my proposal without any changes to what I wrote 16 years ago. The Irish tourism industry needs this project.

To Vote: Log on to www.yourcountryyourcall.com Register. You will be sent an email with your registration details.
    Look up projects, our project is under the title Tourism & Hospitality and if searched for under this category by most supported we are on 3rd page presentl

I would like to see details of this proposed track before I vote for it, if possible?:confused: Would a great idea if would have an F1 event here in Ireland. Think I heard mention of a possible track being built out near city-west but that was probably when the Celtic tiger was roaring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 gamblo

We have the track laid out around Dublin 1 fairview, Alfie burn road, Annsely bridge the track is 2.2 miles. We meet with Dublin City councill many years ago about developing the road the cost was 1 million which was 10 - 12 years ago obviously will be higher now. We are currently developing a website which will have all the information and will show the track. Link will follow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Its bad enough given the damage Crystal Swing are doing at them moment, without us making an absoloute disaster out of a formula 1 race too. Its a noble idea, it really is, but nothing really works well in Ireland except for greed/begrudgery/profittering etc etc.

I can picture it now - "Craggy Island GP" on a few pickets, with moustached gurriers at every corner spitting and whistling all through the race. And if it did go ahead, I would imagine it would be cheaper to go watch the Monaco GP then one based here in Dublin.

• Advertisement

EnterNow wrote: »
    I can picture it now - "Craggy Island GP" .

Now that I'd pay to go see :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

but nothing really works well in Ireland except for greed/begrudgery/profittering etc etc.

Fits in perfectly with the F1 ethos so!
    If only we could afford the bung for Bernie to get the deal done.

Seriously though the last thing F1 needs is another street circuit especially in Europe where there is plenty of good venues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Hell I'd be happy enough with an IndyCar race.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Hope you got someone to spell check that proposal before you submitted it.

Sorry All last word of the proposal is presently not present!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Its bad enough given the damage Crystal Swing are doing at them moment, without us making an absoloute disaster out of a formula 1 race too. Its a noble idea, it really is, but nothing really works well in Ireland except for greed/begrudgery/profittering etc etc.

I can picture it now - "Craggy Island GP" on a few pickets, with moustached gurriers at every corner spitting and whistling all through the race. And if it did go ahead, I would imagine it would be cheaper to go watch the Monaco GP then one based here in Dublin.

So, that's why they take the roads in at night.... :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Think I heard mention of a possible track being built out near city-west but that was probably when the Celtic tiger was roaring.
    There was a lot of hubris from out that direction during the times when you didn't actually have to pay for anything, just promise that Anglo would pick up the invoice...

I would be embarrassed by any such scheme, from the inevitable profiteering by the locals to the kind of moron who would rock up in leprechaun hats in the crowd.

Check out website www.F1dublin.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Link doesn't work works for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭sbEdge

The proposed circuit looks very primitive. There are only about 8 corners. Most of them 90 degree bends with no chance of overtaking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭metzengerstein

would be amazing to have a proper track here to host f1 and moto gp ,

but i dont think it would ever happen ,especially a track in the city the roads are in bits for a start and all the other points in others posts but im supprised the government havent seen dollar signs in there eyes for this .

maybe get a plan for a proper track somewhere on the outskirts of dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

It's all pie in the sky and will never happen.

All the story seems to be is a marketing stunt by this outfit....
    http://www.liffeytrust.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

can people stop putting out crap circuits and threatening the classics like Spa please, as someone said monaco is a one off classic, singapore is crap and pretty much all Hermann 'the Norm' Tilke go carft tracks are muck.

anyway if your going to have a crap uneventfull track it may as well be in Ireland rather than a dessert oil barren back yard.

Advertisement