Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MA Music Performance and Musicology

• 14-04-2010 11:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 280 ✭✭

Hey all,

I've heard alot on here, (not good things unfortunately) about Music Technology but i'm interested in NUIM for the MA in Music Performance and Musicology. Its a 1 yr Full Time taught masters...

Just wondering does anyone know of people doing it or have done it? What's it like or anything? I'm coming from a BA in Music at WIT and have heard most Performance masters take 2 yrs. Just wondering whats Maynooth doing differently in 1 year with Musicology too!! :P

Hope to hear from people,
    thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

There's a poster here who is studying it, he can fill you in on the details.

TBH from what I've heard a year is more than enough time (although I might stand corrected). Better that than spending the bones of €10,000 on fees alone for two years.

Of course if you're interested, it is 2 year part-time as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭leopoldbloom

Hi there, I'm doing that course at the moment in one year.

It's a grand course, but most people take it part-time (making it a two-year course). Basically it's 1/3 recital, 1/3 thesis and 1/3 taught modules.

What specifically do you want to do, ie what instrument and field of research specifically?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 280 ✭✭coolperson05

Hey,

Em i'd be looking to major in Piano performance and then possibly contemporary sacred choral music...I'm doing critical music editing as part of my undergrad on choral music...I work alot as a piano accompanist so I don't know if I could integrate that into it!
    What are the facilities/lecturers like? I don't know much about NUIM tbh...i was told about the course from a friend in DIT...And i'd most probably be doing the year full time...

Advertisement