Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Keyboard works at Vista login screen but not after

• 14-04-2010 11:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭

I'm able to type in the password to login fine but once logged into Vista it becomes unresponsive even though the touchpad works (if relevant).

It appears to be all keys, nothing happens when using the enter key or tab key on the desktop etc.

No notifications of errors in Device Manager but I thought I'd try reinstall the driver anyway.

On the Dell Support website for the product 2Y43W3J under input devices it only lists 3 drivers none of which appear to be for the keyboard?

Should I try system restore?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭runswithascript

bump.

If relevant the keyboard doesn't work in safemode once logged in either.

The drivers listed in CP - classic view - keyboard - hardware are:

Standard PS/2 keyboard
    Microsoft eHome remote control keyboard keys
    Microsoft eHome MCIR keyboard
    Microsoft eHome MCIR109 keyboard

All of which Vista reports are working correctly, none of which can be uninstalled which I think is only because they're the default.

Also, holding down fn and then pressing f8 which has a picture of a lock on it does nothing, in normal mode or safemode.

I'm thinking malware or is this ruled out because the problem also occurs in safemode?

I was going to try Bitdefender boot CD, Malwarebytes Antimalware and Microsoft Security Essentials.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

If you hit caps lock does the led on the keyboard go on/off?

What kinda keyboard is it anyway? Just a regular PS/2 jobbie or usb or wireless?

The_Edge wrote: »
    If you hit caps lock does the led on the keyboard go on/off?

I will check when I get my hands on it again. What does it mean either way?
    What kinda keyboard is it anyway? Just a regular PS/2 jobbie or usb or wireless?

It's a laptop keyboard. Crap, I thought that was included in my OP.

Likely a driver issue I'd say.

The LED check was just to test connectivity but seeing as it's a laptop that's likely to be fine.
    Could be maybe an IRQ conflict too. Had this issue before on Lenovo T41/T43 & T61s where, by design, all the IRQs in the BIOS are set to 11. Can be a bit hit and miss as to how windows will manage that. Setting them all to AUTO usually solved that issue.

For the T60's it was the lenovo track pad driver that would cause the keyboard not to be detected.
    Anyway, rambling there. Get you hands on a USB mouse for fear the trackpad stops working. Make you way to the device manager and check for conflicts.

I'd remove all of them and reboot.
    The fact it's the same in safe mode is usually not good sign (start-up apps ruled out etc)

• Advertisement

Thanks for your input.
    Could be maybe an IRQ conflict too. Had this issue before on Lenovo T41/T43 & T61s where, by design, all the IRQs in the BIOS are set to 11. Can be a bit hit and miss as to how windows will manage that. Setting them all to AUTO usually solved that issue.

I need to go into the BIOS after the POST to do this? If relevant the problem only occurred a month or so ago.
    For the T60's it was the lenovo track pad driver that would cause the keyboard not to be detected.
    So perhaps try remove the Alps TouchPad driver?
    Get you hands on a USB mouse for fear the trackpad stops working. Make you way to the device manager and check for conflicts.
    How would a conflict present itself other than what I've checked for already? i.e. hazard signs in device manager, items in and the categories unknown devices/other devices, neither of which were to be found.

I'd remove all of them and reboot.
    I was unable to remove them via CP > keyboard > hardware tab > clicking on each entry > properties > driver tab > uninstall driver because the button is greyed out even though the user is admin.

Will I be able to do so from device manager?

Unfortunately I don't have the laptop here or Vista installed anywhere to check.

Will Vista automagically reinstall them on reboot, and is an internet connection required for that?
    The fact it's the same in safe mode is usually not good sign (start-up apps ruled out etc)
    Does that also rule out malware? Just in case you missed it earlier, it does allow me to type in the password on the Vista login screen.

Just heading to bed here but have tried a system restore? U may be lucky and have a date that goes back far enough.

What I would do is enter safe mode again and check the filename of the Alps TouchPad driver in Device manager. Rename it from .sys to .old and reboot again. (usually found in c:\windows\system32\drivers\*)
    You may need to do that from an elevated command prompt.

That driver will fail to old once you've renamed it, you can rule it out etc

Create a restore point first though incase it makes things worse ;)

Edit
    Oh, and have you checked the event logs?

Just heading to bed here but have tried a system restore? U may be lucky and have a date that goes back far enough.
    There were restore points but the user attempted system restore and then worried it may delete some personal files they removed the laptop's battery as it was starting to terminate the process. There are now no restore points set even though I'd though there was a restore process that tried to fix windows that didn't need any?
    What I would do is enter safe mode again and check the filename of the Alps TouchPad driver in Device manager. Rename it from .sys to .old and reboot again. (usually found in c:\windows\system32\drivers\*)
    You may need to do that from an elevated command prompt.

That driver will fail to old once you've renamed it, you can rule it out etc

Create a restore point first though incase it makes things worse ;)

Will do.
    Oh, and have you checked the event logs?

Event logs?

The laptop's being dropped over to me today.

LA3G wrote: »
    Event logs?

Start/Run
    eventvwr.msc

Check the event logs there, you might get a bit more info.

Resolved!

Checked the BIOS, no IRQ settings in there because I think it's new enough so that they're all set to auto already.

I'm not sure exactly what fixed it but this is what I did:

N.B I had restored it a few days prior after disabling filter keys.

Disabled System Restore, went into safemode, uninstalled all the keyboard and touchpad drivers and rebooted into normal mode.

This didn't fix it so on reading a thread online where someone fixed it by disabling keyboard click in the BIOS setup (an option not on this BIOS) I flashed it and took a shot reinstalling the chipset driver.

On reboot it still wasn't working but I found filter keys re-enabled, disabled it completely and then everything worked so I turned System Restore back on :)

The curious thing is that I had tried disabling filter keys initially and I left it off even though it definitely didn't fix the problem, it's likely system restore re-enabled it, either way from this it is evident that the solution was to disable filter keys in conjuction with something else I did.

Anyway, thanks for all the input.

• Advertisement
Advertisement