Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Canon G6 - remote viewing?

• 14-04-2010 11:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if a Canon G6 can be used remotely, without a laptop? Perhaps using a cable for the shutter, and AV out to a handheld TV?

Also, if using the laptop, can the zoom be used?
    Sorry for the noob questions - Canon is alien to me! :)

EDIT: I know it has an IR remote, but I wont be in a position to activate it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I thought it can be controlled remotely using the usb?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Borderfox wrote: »
    I thought it can be controlled remotely using the usb?

From what I can find out, you're right about the PC Remote Control, just looking to see if it can be done without using a computer.

You can use usb repeaters to extend the 5m restriction on a usb cable and get it longer if thats what you need?

Borderfox wrote: »
    You can use usb repeaters to extend the 5m restriction on a usb cable and get it longer if thats what you need?

I need to stay fairly mobile, so a laptop is not ideal.

a bit more info might help the peeps here?

• Advertisement

Q1. I have an offer of a used Canon G6, which may suit me IF it can be operated remotely WITHOUT having to connect it to any type of computer. Is it possible to use a cable type remote, and use it similiar to "Live View" using the Video Out to a pocket TV?

Q2. When connected to a PC, via USB, is it possible to use the zoom?

What extra info do you need to know?

Yes it should be possible to use the zoom on USB. as to the first part, it has no screw in for a cable remote and dont know if they have any other in the accessories

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭stunt_penguin

I just checked my old (broken) G6.. there's no cable release, just an a/v out port (to a normal TV)...

There is, however, an infrared remote control port on the front if that helps.... I loved my G6 :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

there is a guy called Richard Franiec (I can't find his site at the moment) who makes this kind of stuff. It's basically a mechanical cable-operated release that presses the shutter button on your camera. I bought a custom grip for my G9 off him and I must say if this is anything to go by, his stuff is really impressive and well made. The grip fits the G9 like it grew on it and it's made of lovely machined steel...

Advertisement