Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Volcanic ash discussion here please!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

saw this on pprune very interesting never recalled anything like this before in europe.
    http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/412103-ash-clouds-threaten-air-traffic.html

I think parts WILL be closed. I have been monitoring the Volcanic Ash advisory from the London VAAC and I have a feeling that it could seriously impact aviation in Ireland, UK and Northern parts of the continent.

Here is a link to the chart.
    http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/aviation/vaac/data/VAG_1271288580.png

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,248 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Apparantly all UK airspace is now closed until 6pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Bah, flying with Aer Lingus to Berlin at 10..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

RGB Satellite imagery picks up the plume nicely as it heads our way since 2000UTC yesterday. Select 12 and click Play

http://oiswww.eumetsat.org/IPPS/html/MSG/RGB/ASH/ICELAND/index.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

Su Campu wrote: »
    RGB Satellite imagery picks up the plume nicely as it heads our way since 2000UTC yesterday. Select 12 and click Play

http://oiswww.eumetsat.org/IPPS/html/MSG/RGB/ASH/ICELAND/index.htm

Cool! looks like most of it will miss Ireland, I wonder will more transatlantic flights be routed further south or will they just cancel flights wholesale?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭SQ2

Any ideas on what the state of play will be tomorrow? Meant to be flying to Krakow tomorrow morning...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

BAA says all London airports will be closed with no services from 11:30 a.m. BST (06:30 a.m. ET) due to volcanic ash from Iceland - NBC

This is getting interesting...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Shzm

I wouldn't use interesting to describe it personally. GFs family was meant to fly back to london this morning, now it looks instead like they'll be coming back here.

Damn you Iceland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

airtraffic.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Looks like it will miss Ireland alright, but with UK airspace closed that will still cut off most routes getting to Europe without going the long way round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Statement from the Irish Aviation Authority

The Irish Aviation Authority based on advice from the Volcanic Ash Advisory Centre, will start to close sections of Irish airspace from 1200 today. This will result in the shutdown of operations at Dublin Airport.

The cause of the closure relates to the ash cloud from a volcano in Iceland, which is heading towards Ireland. It is not safe for aircraft to fly into volcanic dust as it can cause engines to shut down and other electrical faultsThe volcanic ash cloud is also causing severe restriction in UK Airspace. The situation is being closely monitored and an update will be provided at noon today.

Passengers are advised to contact their airline's website.

ENDs

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Statement from the Irish Aviation Authority

The Irish Aviation Authority based on advice from the Volcanic Ash Advisory Centre, will start to close sections of Irish airspace from 1200 today. This will result in the shutdown of operations at Dublin Airport.

The cause of the closure relates to the ash cloud from a volcano in Iceland, which is heading towards Ireland. It is not safe for aircraft to fly into volcanic dust as it can cause engines to shut down and other electrical faultsThe volcanic ash cloud is also causing severe restriction in UK Airspace. The situation is being closely monitored and an update will be provided at noon today.

Passengers are advised to contact their airline's website.

ENDs
    All Irish airports will be affected. No IFR flights will be accepted after 11:00z

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭murphym7

I'm supposed to fly from Amsterdam to Cork tomorrow morning - Am I in trouble do you think?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The predicted spread of the dust they were showing on Beeb news earlier had it going all along the top coast of Europe by midnight tonight. But then they said something about the wind now due to change direction so no telling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Andrew33 wrote: »
    Cool! looks like most of it will miss Ireland, I wonder will more transatlantic flights be routed further south or will they just cancel flights wholesale?
    Looks like theyre being routed further south, looking at Radarvirtuel now and theres a stream of about 7/8 transatlantic flights going over/passed the english channel and heading west near the coast of france.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭irishleedsfan

Im supposed to fly to mallorca tomorrow from shannon at 6:30 do ye think the flight will take off or will i unpack my bag:confused:

Im supposed to fly to mallorca tomorrow from shannon at 6:30 do ye think the flight will take off or will i unpack my bag:confused:
    I'm no expert, so I'd say just to keep looking at the website of your airline, or ring em. Theyll be able to tell you exact flights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Foggy43

I agree with Jammyc. The ban maybe lifted by then but will there be any aircraft in Shannon to do the service? Aircraft will be out of position due to this and only the airline will be able to answer the question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Foggy43

I a little worried about Radarvirtuel at the moment. BBC News 24 used the website at 1pm today and since I cannot access the site.

Forbidden
    You don't have permission to access / on this server.

Apache/1.3.34 Server at www.radarvirtuel.com Port 80

This is what I am getting. Is this due to overload?

Foggy43 wrote: »
    I a little worried about Radarvirtuel at the moment. BBC News 24 used the website at 1pm today and since I cannot access the site.

Forbidden

Hmmm, I just got that too.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭minotour

Foggy43 wrote: »

Forbidden

site down due to overuse, im sure their admins were overjoyed to be used on the BBC site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dacian

Its a plot by the BBC.......crash the site to ensure people go to bbc.co.uk to get updates on the air travel situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Sky news did a big piece with that radar website too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,471 ✭✭✭highlydebased

http://www.shannonairport.com/company/mediacentre/Disruptions_to_Flights_at_Shannon_Airport.html
    The Irish Aviation Authority based on advice from the Volcanic Ash Advisory Centre, has closed Irish airspace from 12:00 hrs today.

This will result in the shutdown of operations at Shannon Airport until at least 11:00 hrs on 16th April 2010.

A further update will be provided at 08:30 hrs tomorrow 16th April. Passengers are advised to contact their airline regarding future travel plans.

Am assuming this would be a great time to try get shots of the large numbers of Aer Lingus and Ryanair aircraft parked at Dublin.......

anyone going parked plane spotting?

This UK site has great charts of the current and predicted spread of the ash cloud:
    http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/aviation/vaac/vaacuk_vag.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Eric Moody(former BA pilot involved in an incident involving flying through an ash cloud in '82 over Indonesia) has never been in so much demand. He's been on every news bulletin i've seen today.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭donkey balls

lord lucan wrote: »
    Eric Moody(former BA pilot involved in an incident involving flying through an ash cloud in '82 over Indonesia) has never been in so much demand. He's been on every news bulletin i've seen today.:)

here is part of the remake of flt ba09
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrNuY2qXWhI

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

I just read that no flights in or out of Ireland before 12 noon tomorrow at the earliest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Radarvirtuel

Hi all

Volcano kill my isp and provider :)
    So i start a mirror site here www.radar-virtuel.com

Regards
    Laurent
    LFRN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Hi all

Regards
    Laurent
    LFRN

Keep up the good work!

Hi all

Regards
    Laurent
    LFRN
    Youre a hero!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

FFS, so quiet here today (Howth), 1 helio, 1 prop far away. Now the neighbour has decided to use the lawnmower:mad:

19:22 edit:
    Now there's a prop 'playing' around Howth Hill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

lord lucan wrote: »

pitty his flight engineer isnt mentioned...he got those 3 rb211's going again.....capt moody had to look throught the side window to land the 747 as the main screens were opaque.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

I doubt there will be anything moving before Saturday at the earliest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭donkey balls

rte news update not looking good for intra euro flights
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0415/transportupdates.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Southsider1

There was some 'expert' on the news just now saying it could stretch into next week... Realistically, how long could Aer Lingus survive, financially, with no sales revenue? Are their shares going to sink tomorrow if the closure is maintained?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭loldog

This could go on for months, apparently the last time that volcano erupted it was spewing its guts up for over a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

loldog wrote: »
    This could go on for months, apparently the last time that volcano erupted it was spewing its guts up for over a year.

Heres a nice bit of scaremongering for you! Nah, seriously tho, this could go on for quite some time

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eyjafjallaj%C3%B6kull#The_eruption_of_Eyjafjallaj.C3.B6kull_1821-23

The eruption of Eyjafjallajökull 1821-23

This event was a rather small eruption,[1] despite which, some damage was caused. This was especially because the ash contained a high quota of fluoride, which in high doses may have a negative influence on the bone structure of cattle, horses, sheep and humans. The eruption also caused some small and medium glacier runs and flooding at nearby rivers Markarfljót and Holtsá. The eruptive phase started on 19 and 20 December by a series of explosive eruptions continuing during the next days. The sources talk about heavy ash fall in the area around the volcano especially to the south and west. After that event the eruption continued on a more subdued level until June 1822. From the end of June till the beginning of August 1822, another series of explosive eruptions followed. The eruption columns were shot to considerable heights, with ashfall both in the far north of the country, in Eyjafjörður, and in the southwest, on the peninsula of Seltjarnarnes near Reykjavík. The period from August to December 1822 seemed quieter, but farmers attributed the death of cattle and sheep in the Eyjafjörður area to poisoning from this eruption, which modern analysis identifies as fluoride poisoning. Some small glacier runs occurred in the river Holtsá. A bigger one flooded the plains near the river Markarfljót. The sources don’t indicate the exact date. In 1823, some men went hiking up on Eyjafjallajökull to inspect the craters. They discovered a fissure vent near the summit caldera a bit to the west of Guðnasteinn. In the spring of 1823, the nearby volcano Katla under the glacier Mýrdalsjökull erupted and at the same time steam columns were seen on the summit of Eyjafjallajökull. The ash of Eyjafjallajökull’s 1821 eruptions is to be found all over the south of Iceland. It is dark grey in colour, small-grained and intermediate rock containing about 68-70% SiO2.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

If Katla goes there will be trouble. It's due to go soon anyway, and it always erupts alongside the one that's erupting at the moment...

Realistically, how long could Aer Lingus survive, financially, with no sales revenue? Are their shares going to sink tomorrow if the closure is maintained?

Why wouldnt EI survive ? I know they would have to pay the staff on duty but to be fair the aircraft are not burning fuel, they dont have to pay atc charges etc. as they are all on the ground (with the exception of most of the 330's). And my understanding is they also dont have to pay compo to the passengers as its out of their control.

And if it is the case, you will have heaps of airlines in trouble as none of them will be bringing in revenue either.

]And on the subject of the Volcano... Ash has been reported on the ground up in the Shetland Islands.
    The next advisory will be issued by Lon VAAC @ 0000z and there will be a clearer picture of how its going.
    VAAC advised earlier there was going to be an a/c enroute to check the density of the VA cloud and once info had been received it would be passed to all concerned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭radar0976

Just announced in the last half an hour that flight restrictions due to the Icelandic volcanic eruption have been lifted at Cork and Shannon by the Irish Aviation Authority

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0415/travel.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭radar0976

Restrictions have now been lifted by IAA for Cork and Shannon
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0415/travel.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

There was some 'expert' on the news just now saying it could stretch into next week... Realistically, how long could Aer Lingus survive, financially, with no sales revenue? Are their shares going to sink tomorrow if the closure is maintained?

I think ALL airline shares will sink. BOTH main airlines in Ireland have cash reserves so will 'survive'.

Am sure EI could survive at least 6 months if it came to it. They have over 600M in cash. FR have even more. Are yuo by any chance a reporter from the Indo doing 'research'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Interesting to see what FR have done to 'safe' their aircraft at DUB. Pics further down in the article.

http://www.flightglobal.com/airspace/blogs/contrails/archive/2010/04/15/irish-airspace-shut-down-due-to-volcanic-dust.aspx

Here is the latest Volcanic Ash Report - Valid 16APR10 0000Z

I saw a Cessna 150 or 170 flying over Dublin City yesterday evening heading west (presumely towards Weston). No restrictions on piston engined planes??? bring back the Connies!

• Advertisement
Advertisement