Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

volcanic ash from Iceland heading towards europe with airports expected to be closed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

They are not the same flights one was an official KLM test flight the one you linked to was a scheduled flight, by a different airline!.

It was a scheduled flight that was intentionally cleared to take off despite the recommended postponement of flights, the only one.. and it ran into difficulties

It was a scheduled flight that was intentionally cleared to take off despite the recommended postponement of flights, the only one.. and it ran into difficulties

Best follow the recommendations so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

They should've know that would've happened. The FMS would've told them they were getting into trouble long before it became a low fuel situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭T17cH

The live webcams are showing a lot of lightning and frequent orange flashes looks pretty cool i wonder is this a sign its getting more violent iv been watching them over the last 2 days and havent noticed any lightning untill now. http://eldgos.mila.is/eyjafjallajokull-fra-fimmvorduhalsi/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

T17cH wrote: »
    The live webcams are showing a lot of lightning and frequent orange flashes looks pretty cool i wonder is this a sign its getting more violent iv been watching them over the last 2 days and havent noticed any lightning untill now. http://eldgos.mila.is/eyjafjallajokull-fra-fimmvorduhalsi/

The orange flashes are probably lightning as well. Seriously impressive stuff. Apparently the intervals between strikes were one every twelve minutes a few hours ago, Down to one every 3-4 seconds now. Probably indicates an increase of volcanic activity.

• Advertisement

Dean820 wrote: »
    Sure it could be worse.
    Quite frankly, I 'd rather the planes be grounded than falling to the ground!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Its a rare sight to see not one vapur streams in a clear blue sky

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Anyone watching the ash fall from the sky now, Jayus its like snow:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

Anyone watching the ash fall from the sky now, Jayus its like snow:eek:

no ash falling yet in mid Donegal... wheres your location?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

Now that I have my way home sorted I hope this lasts for weeks! /bitter arsehole

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭leincar

I got stuck in Atlanta on Thursday. The plane took off on Friday. I fell asleep on the plane and woke up as we decended back in to Atlanta. We got turned back after three hours. Now I'm stuck in Madrid. I have to be in Cape Town on Thursday, rumours are going around that Madrid airport will close this afternoon so I'm going to get the first available flight out of Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Does anybody know oif the post to UK will be effected or does it goes by boat?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,155 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

no ash falling yet in mid Donegal... wheres your location?

Tasmania?

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Does anybody know oif the post to UK will be effected or does it goes by boat?

http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/jump1?catId=400144&mediaId=112300784

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Can anyone else confirm that Stena Line sailings between Dublin/Dun Laoighre and Holyhead are sold out up to Wednesday, for foot passengers? I'm on their site, and the only column that shows up for fares is the 'flexi' column, and the first non sold-out entry is on Wednesday. Is that really correct?

I can't get on the Irish Ferries site.

I'm not sure if I'd travel this way but just checking my options...(or trying to...)

I would say they are sold out if they give you no option for those dates.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

If you are expecting to go to the UK within the next week, don't bother waiting just book the ferry now. The Dublin-London air route is one of the busiest in the world, after a week of it not operating at all there will be a lot of people looking to get on the boats.

I would say they are sold out if they give you no option for those dates.

I think you're right...I checked in another browser and it's the same. I thought another 'non-flexi' column was being hidden in Chrome, but I guess not.

robinph - I have a window where it'd be worth my while going but after that it wouldn't make sense. Past tuesday wouldn't make sense (really past monday). I'll have a look around though. Thanks for the advice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

My boss has just emailed me to ask for a copy of my travel insurance, which I don't have. Work want to consider what I would get from that when seeing that they can do about my leave. I only bought some for the three days I was flying over and then was going to buy some for the days I'm flying back, but obviously can't now. I'm at home with my parents so didn't think insurance was necessary for the whole three weeks I'm here.

This is an absolute nightmare :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

There has been no real new update from the airlines, everyone is still sticking on 1pm Tomorrow and my flight is at 4pm.
    I am expecting the text from Ryanair any minute now telling me its cancelled. . . If they sent me this text I could get the 17.10 Eurolines from Bristol today, this journey today for some reason has a much shorter stop in Birmingham (130 minutes) the one tomorrow is 3.5 hours!

Wondering should I cut my losses and get the fook outta dodge today or just wait til tomorrow? I would be very sickened and out of pocket if it turns out that my flight does go tomorrow.... cool.gif

• Advertisement

Amazing how slow Aer Lingus is to respond to the extension of airspace closures.

I'd expect Ryanair to have been faster wrt tomorrow too...I mean I think it's fairly certain tomorrow will be a no-go. Irish airspace is officially closed til 1pm at the earliest, but the ash ain't going anywhere.

edit - Ryanair actually says on their site they'll release an update at 12pm about flights on Monday PM and Tuesday AM. Expect cancellation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Figuramatyi

watna wrote: »
    My boss has just emailed me to ask for a copy of my travel insurance, which I don't have. Work want to consider what I would get from that when seeing that they can do about my leave. I only bought some for the three days I was flying over and then was going to buy some for the days I'm flying back, but obviously can't now. I'm at home with my parents so didn't think insurance was necessary for the whole three weeks I'm here.

I would be in the same shoes, but luckily I have my company laptop with me, and all the work I need to do, i can do from here. So my job is not in danger as of now. My department also has a history of employees working from home, if not for an extended time.
    But what can we do? I checked my options, to travel back to Ireland from Hungary would cost me a fortune on multiple trains, ferry, buses etc., that is if it WERE possible at all, which it isn't, since everything is fully booked.
    I AM stranded indeed. What a strange feeling :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

LookingFor wrote: »
    Amazing how slow Aer Lingus is to respond to the extension of airspace closures.

I'd expect Ryanair to have been faster wrt tomorrow too...I mean I think it's fairly certain tomorrow will be a no-go. Irish airspace is officially closed til 1pm at the earliest, but the ash ain't going anywhere.

edit - Ryanair actually says on their site they'll release an update at 12pm about flights on Monday PM and Tuesday AM. Expect cancellation.

Oh I was just on their page and didnt see that. ha ha says my flight is still "confirmed" :D

Il wait til then, thanks so much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

My flight home from Italy was supposed to be last Thursday. I'M STILL HERE!!!!!

Tomorrow at 10AM I'm getting a bus to Calais in France from Rome. Calais to Paris, Paris to Cherbourg amnd then a seventeen hour ferry to Rosslare... I'll be home around 6 or 7 on Thursday!

Then it will take me three hours or something to get back to Meath!

THIS IS ****ING RIDICULOUS.
    I miss my GF, family, my dogs and my mates.
    I miss my X Box, my bed and I f**king miss Irish pizza!

When I get home I'm going to get Apache pizza, chippers, Carrolls smokes, I'm going to watch a season of The West Wing. I'm going to get drunk, drink a bottle of Jameson, get rowdy, start fights, piss on the side of the road. I'm gonna bring my guitar down to my mates and have a serious jam. Iàm going to watch a match that ISN'T Inter Milan V Fiorantina. F**k you Jose Mourinho. I can't f**king wait!

On a lighter note, what's the difference between the Iceland volcano and Cheryl Cole?
    The Iceland volcano is still blowing ash.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

meant to be flying to Chicago on Friday with Aer Lingus - how likely is this now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Figuramatyi

What's an "Irish pizza"? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Shzm

My flight home from Italy was supposed to be last Thursday. I'M STILL HERE!!!!!

Tomorrow at 10AM I'm getting a bus to Calais in France from Rome. Calais to Paris, Paris to Cherbourg amnd then a seventeen hour ferry to Rosslare... I'll be home around 6 or 7 on Thursday!

Then it will take me three hours or something to get back to Meath!

THIS IS ****ING RIDICULOUS.
    I miss my GF, family, my dogs and my mates.
    I miss my X Box, my bed and I f**king miss Irish pizza!

When I get home I'm going to get Apache pizza, chippers, Carrolls smokes, I'm going to watch a season of The West Wing. I'm going to get drunk, drink a bottle of Jameson, get rowdy, start fights, piss on the side of the road. I'm gonna bring my guitar down to my mates and have a serious jam. Iàm going to watch a match that ISN'T Inter Milan V Fiorantina. F**k you Jose Mourinho. I can't f**king wait!

On a lighter note, what's the difference between the Iceland volcano and Cheryl Cole?
    The Iceland volcano is still blowing ash.

You're being punished for having **** taste in pizza.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

brummytom wrote: »
    Is there any way they could get the ferry this late?

Whitney Houston played Birmingham on Thursday and had to take the ferry over here then for this weekends gigs.

John Cleese spent a mint on a taxi.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1266607/John-Cleese-takes-3-000-taxi-Whitney-Houston-opts-car-ferry-Britains-flight-ban-hits-stars.html

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭nachoman

Holy Crap! skynews just showing lighting bolts coming from the ash cloud.:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

watna wrote: »

I am so sorry for your predicament.

I never took out travel insurance when flying out to visit family, maybe I should have but I never considered I might need it.

The chances are that your travel insurance would be worthless anyway due to the "act of God".

My brother has been working in the UK for 2 years and a job vacancy in Ireland came up in his chosen profession for the first time since he moved there, and he has been called for interview Monday week. I hope he can make it, he may have to take the boat - I just hope he gets his chance to be able to move back home where he wants to be!

Advertisement