Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

volcanic ash from Iceland heading towards europe with airports expected to be closed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

meant to be flying to Chicago on Friday with Aer Lingus - how likely is this now?

Not very likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Not very likely.

are you serious?

feck feck

What is the issue if we are flying west?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

kelle wrote: »
    I am so sorry for your predicament.

I never took out travel insurance when flying out to visit family, maybe I should have but I never considered I might need it.

The chances are that your travel insurance would be worthless anyway due to the "act of God".

Thanks Kelle. I told my boss about the act of god thing and that I probably wouldn't have received anything anyway. I'm sure she'll understand. I work in an insurance company! :)

I think they'll sort something out for me. Their very good about this kind of thing. I think I'm going to be here for another week - perhaps more.

are you serious?

feck feck

What is the issue if we are flying west?

The presence of a big lump of ash out to 45W at the moment:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/aviation/vaac/data/VAG_1271569746.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Ye its all my annual leave being used up thats the most annoying thing...cant even enjoy it.

• Advertisement

The presence of a big lump of ash out to 45W at the moment:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/aviation/vaac/data/VAG_1271569746.png

Ok I am sorry but I don't understand the fundamentals of this.

If this doesn't happen it would be absolutely huge for me, possibly the worst thing that has ever happened to me, but I wont get into that.

What needs to happen for my flight to run OK?
    If the airport is opened up in the mean time would this route be considered more or less at risk than others?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 17,189 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Got back from a college class trip to Manchester yesterday. Had to get the train from Manchester to Swansea and then up to Fishguard to get the ferry to Rosslare and back to Cork from there.

Very last minute and we were very lucky to make it back

Ok I am sorry but I don't understand the fundamentals of this.

If this doesn't happen it would be absolutely huge for me, possibly the worst thing that has ever happened to me, but I wont get into that.

What needs to happen for my flight to run OK?
    If the airport is opened up in the mean time would this route be considered more or less at risk than others?

Thanks

Ideally the wind will shift to a SW direction and start to push the existing crap, plus what is still spewing out) up towards Scandanavia.

Another possibility is that it will rain, and wash much of the crap out of the atmosphere.

A third possibility is that regulatory authorities will start to relax their restrictions on the basis of flight testing being conducted in the next few days.

The 1st and 3rd options are your best bets.

You need the airspace over Ireland, and west of it, to remain relatively clear if you wish to get out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

I'm supposed to be flying into rome on the 28th, not really sure what to expect with this volcanic ash, anyone have a rough idea of how likely it is for the situation to be sorted by then. Will have to start looking at alternatives soon otherwise

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

Due to fly to out to Thailand on wednesday:( isn't nature just awsome, no matter how many gadgets we can come up with, we quite simply will never beat nature, splendid:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

My flight home from Italy was supposed to be last Thursday. I'M STILL HERE!!!!!

Tomorrow at 10AM I'm getting a bus to Calais in France from Rome. Calais to Paris, Paris to Cherbourg amnd then a seventeen hour ferry to Rosslare... I'll be home around 6 or 7 on Thursday!

Then it will take me three hours or something to get back to Meath!

THIS IS ****ING RIDICULOUS.
    I miss my GF, family, my dogs and my mates.
    I miss my X Box, my bed and I f**king miss Irish pizza!

When I get home I'm going to get Apache pizza, chippers, Carrolls smokes, I'm going to watch a season of The West Wing. I'm going to get drunk, drink a bottle of Jameson, get rowdy, start fights, piss on the side of the road. I'm gonna bring my guitar down to my mates and have a serious jam. Iàm going to watch a match that ISN'T Inter Milan V Fiorantina. F**k you Jose Mourinho. I can't f**king wait!

On a lighter note, what's the difference between the Iceland volcano and Cheryl Cole?
    The Iceland volcano is still blowing ash.

Get thee to the Rome derby this afternoon!

I also don't get why you're going to Calais and then Paris. Paris is south of Calais so surely it would be easier to go there first and I'd have guessed there are plenty of buses that go to Paris from Rome.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Blueboyd

Both KLM and Lufthansa have made test flights. And they say that the engines didn't get any damages of the ashes.

Up here Finnair said that they have not made any tests reguested by EU cos commercial planes do not have any equipment to measure anything.

However the air forces sent two F18 Hornets into the ash cloud and the engines were severely damaged.

So maybe better to be suspicious if airlines start to fly and say it is quite safe to fly into the ash. Remember that they make heavy losses every day. Greed and stupidity can win over reason.

Ideally the wind will shift to a SW direction and start to push the existing crap, plus what is still spewing out) up towards Scandanavia.

Another possibility is that it will rain, and wash much of the crap out of the atmosphere.

A third possibility is that regulatory authorities will start to relax their restrictions on the basis of flight testing being conducted in the next few days.

The 1st and 3rd options are your best bets.

You need the airspace over Ireland, and west of it, to remain relatively clear if you wish to get out.

Thanks for this

Goog god I can't believe it though, been counting down the days for months now this,

will have to look into insurance, don't know how happy they will be to refund internal american flights hotels etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Yeah, I read the following article about it too. Basically the same as your link really: http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSLDE63H07L20100418?type=marketsNews

Who would people trust? The airlines losing millions per day or the coordinated efforts of geologists and meteorologists from several north Atlantic countries???

It is disgusting to see the claims for the rules to be bent once there is no obvious threat in some of the closed down regions. I for one will place my trust in those people who have no vested interest in anything but my safety.

empirix wrote: »
    Due to fly to out to Thailand on wednesday:( isn't nature just awsome, no matter how many gadgets we can come up with, we quite simply will never beat nature, splendid:)

Shltty buzz.... But at least Bangkok is in a good state these days for when ya get there :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭ronano

Tomorrow at 10AM I'm getting a bus to Calais in France from Rome. Calais to Paris, Paris to Cherbourg amnd then a seventeen hour ferry to Rosslare... I'll be home around 6 or 7 on Thursday!

THIS IS ****ING RIDICULOUS.
    I miss my GF, family, my dogs and my mates.
    I miss my X Box, my bed and I f**king miss Irish pizza!

When I get home I'm going to get Apache pizza, chippers, Carrolls smokes, I'm going to watch a season of The West Wing. I'm going to get drunk, drink a bottle of Jameson, get rowdy, start fights, piss on the side of the road. I'm gonna bring my guitar down to my mates and have a serious jam. Iàm going to watch a match that ISN'T Inter Milan V Fiorantina. F**k you Jose Mourinho. I can't f**king wait!

On a lighter note, what's the difference between the Iceland volcano and Cheryl Cole?
    The Iceland volcano is still blowing ash.

yo bro!

your ferry is 19 hours and you're crazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Blueboyd

Yeah, I read the following article about it too. Basically the same as your link really: http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSLDE63H07L20100418?type=marketsNews

Who would people trust? The airlines losing millions per day or the coordinated efforts of geologists and meteorologists from several north Atlantic countries???

It is disgusting to see the claims for the rules to be bent once there is no obvious threat in some of the closed down regions. I for one will place my trust in those people who have no vested interest in anything but my safety.

Check this out

It is all in Finnish - but look at the first picture of an engine of a Hornet that flew into the cloud. The ash melted inside the engine and started to make layers.

will transatlantic flights resume first?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

anyone notice the mad red moon last night? probably related to the ash no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

Thats just nuts, just wait till the planes start flying again, theres worse places to be stuck than Italy (like a few days on boats/buses). Just spend some more time seeing the place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

ryanair were supposed to update at 15:00 today

Im still waiting what is the holdup?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

British Airways just announced that they will send a test flight over Ireland today.

What if the test fails? :eek:

Do it somewhere else ya fuckers :p

/heads down into wine cellar

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

OutlawPete wrote: »
    British Airways just announced that they will send a test flight over Ireland today.

lol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

OutlawPete wrote: »

Do you know what part it will fly over?
    Hopefully around the Kilkenny area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

This whole "We'll do this one test flight, and if that works, everyone form an orderly queue" jazz doesn't sit too well with me. I'd be lookin for hundreds of "test" flights to be carried out in these conditions before I even thought about air travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

Michael O'Leary on Sky News right now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

ryanair were supposed to update at 15:00 today

Im still waiting what is the holdup?
    ryanair have cancelled all flights until wednesday 13:00

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/7601701/Volcano-chaos-could-continue-for-months.html
    Sigrun Hreinsdottir, a geophysicist at the University of Iceland, said: "From what we've seen, it could erupt, pause for a few weeks, and then possibly erupt again. It could go on for months."

:eek:

Advertisement