Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

volcanic ash from Iceland heading towards europe with airports expected to be closed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

O'leary said the estimations are that there will be absolutely no change until Thursday. He also made a good point that if the test flights fly through an area and then the conditions change after that flight, it basically renders the test results obsolete!!!

Friend of mine is in South Africa, we have 4 assignments due within 2 weeks and our exams coming up. She has no laptop, books or any college stuff!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

AlcoholicA wrote: »
    anyone notice the mad red moon last night? probably related to the ash no?

When I pull down my cacks there's a red moon everynight :P
    I have red hair

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

There is absolutely no scientific basis for these test flights being conducted by the airlines

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

I saw KLM giving out that 'computer models' were informing where there was or wasn't risk.

But what is the alternative? They're couple of test flights can sample ash at specific points (if they're even sampling concentrations?) but if they want a picture of the risk in general across the whole airspace, they'd have to plug that data into a computer model themselves! And I'd trust the VAAC's model is the best available (which, btw, has been guided by met office samples taken by observation flights over the UK anyway also, they have a google map showing the exact points and recordings).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Naomithecool

I've booked flights home from Spain for the end of May and end of June, should be fine by then as long as the sister volcano doesnt erupt but I'm so glad I booked them already, there won't be any cheap flights for quite a while after this! Apparently it's costing airlines £200 million per day.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Lads im not Joking but this thing is very serious, i mean it could last week months, the tourism industry will be wiped out this summer over this, mail and goods by plane will be finished. No more exotic fruit or N.Z lamb:eek:.
    What about all the people who will loose there Jobs and Buisness because they are stranded.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

and we're in the worst situation not having a tunnel to the UK!

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭nervous_twitch

Lads im not Joking but this thing is very serious, i mean it could last week months, the tourism industry will be wiped out this summer over this, mail and goods by plane will be finished. No more exotic fruit or N.Z lamb:eek:
    What about all the people who will loose there Jobs and Buisness because they are stranded.

Stop being such a vulture. Dont you think many people have it bad enough as it without sensationalist, melodramatic, apocalypto bullsh*t such as this? Get a grip man; as much as a global catastrophe might break up your day, in reality it'd be a lot less exciting than it sounds.

I dunno if maybe you're just being sarcastic; but I know there are some people out there with everything crossed, hoping this is the end of civilisation as we know it. Anyhow, thats all a bit OT.

Anyone think flight prices will be exorbitant after this bad boy? I've yet to book my Summer :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

Lads im not Joking but this thing is very serious, i mean it could last week months, the tourism industry will be wiped out this summer over this, mail and goods by plane will be finished. No more exotic fruit or N.Z lamb:eek:.

on the other hand, tourism cash is being being spent in-country, and farmers are not only going to get better prices for their produce, but the issue of food security could well mean that we look at re-establishing more of our food production at home.

and its much quieter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Naomithecool

Probably, they have a lot of losses to recover :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

okidoki987 wrote: »
    and we're in the worst situation not having a tunnel to the UK!

Fair enough, cannibalism it is then so.

Ive Just read that the sister volcano is rumbling at the moment,its 10 times bigger than this one and in the past both have erupted within weeks of each other, if it does blow its game over.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Ive Just read that the sister volcano is rumbling at the moment,its 10 times bigger than this one and in the past both have erupted within weeks of each other, if it does blow its game over.
    oh no. Where did you hear that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

... the dust clound from it will probably end civilisation as we know it,
    the day after the day after tomorrow...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

Er, if thats the case, we'd better all start making bug out bags and pronto!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Blobby George

This is such a terrible situation for so many people. I really hope that things improve quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

Even if it's deemed safe to fly in the coming days with the backlog of stranded passengers I'd imagine it may take weeks before any semblance of normality is returned to air traffick. The mind boggles as to how they are going to start getting people home (in what order, first in first out?) once flights resume.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭*eadaoin

jaysus there's a lot of overdramatics in this thread! :rolleyes:

katla has erupted in the past, and yes it caused trouble, but it was never "end game" or "the day after the day after tomorrow".

there's no way for us to tell at this stage if it will erupt, so there's no point in sensationalising it and blowing things out of proportion.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,404 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

*eadaoin wrote: »
    jaysus there's a lot of overdramatics in this thread! :rolleyes:

katla has erupted in the past, and yes it caused trouble, but it was never "end game" or "the day after the day after tomorrow".

there's no way for us to tell at this stage if it will erupt, so there's no point in sensationalising it and blowing things out of proportion.

Krakatoa! The whole island's going to go! Every man for himself....!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

if flights are allowed to resume again, and its up to the airlines to decide

Do you think the route from Dublin to Chicago would be considered one of the safer or riskier routes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

Do you think the route from Dublin to Chicago would be considered one of the safer or riskier routes?

Depends which way the wind is blowing when you want to fly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Alessandra wrote: »
    Depends which way the wind is blowing when you want to fly.

Ok and is that the case with all flights out of Ireland?

Is this route more or less dependant than others?

Is the issue with ash over Ireland or the atlantic along the route?

Would it be possible for the plane to fly a longer different route?

just please help me out someway

Heres the link to Katla data http://hraun.vedur.is/ja/Katla2009/stodvaplott.html
    Thers no dramatics about it if this blows we will have a nuclear winter with mass starvations around the world, this happened in the 1700's and millions starved.

Mr.S wrote: »
    Saying its the end of the world etc is silly, ofcourse.

But if this ash keeps on coming, the airline industry in Europe is ****ed.

At least Ireland is on the edge of it and will probally be able to accept/send flights to America.

definitely. well, it's messed up for an unknown period of time, but being the intelligent creatures we are i'm sure we'll adapt! or at least i hope we will ;)

it's fine to look ahead and try to prepare, i just hate all the sensationalist stuff that freaks people out, there's no need for it. some people just seem to love creating fear.

i'm getting married in two weeks, our best man is supposed to fly in from new zealand this thursday but it looks a bit dodgy for him :( fingers crossed he'll be able to get over at some stage before the big day, but we had to make a contingency plan and keep a replacement best man in mind just in case! luckily i hate flying, so our honeymoon is by rail and ferry :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

it's fine to look ahead and try to prepare, i just hate all the sensationalist stuff that freaks people out, there's no need for it. some people just seem to love creating fear.

I agree - this thread is getting a bit ridiculous. All this scaremongering is not doing any of us any favours. I know lots of you think it's all very dramatic and exciting to some people but if you're caught up in it, it really is an absolute nightmare.

Eadaoin - hopefully your best man will get through sometime before the wedding. I'm supposed to be leaving for NZ on Wednesday and it's not looking good so far. Good idea to have a back-up best man!

Heres the link to Katla data http://hraun.vedur.is/ja/Katla2009/stodvaplott.html
    Thers no dramatics about it if this blows we will have a nuclear winter with mass starvations around the world, this happened in the 1700's and millions starved.

:rolleyes:

are you getting your information from the world weekly news by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

even if it stopped erupting today im presumin gitll take at least a few days to clear???

imagine this kept going for weeks and the world cup was affected!

watna wrote: »
    Eadaoin - hopefully your best man will get through sometime before the wedding. I'm supposed to be leaving for NZ on Wednesday and it's not looking good so far. Good idea to have a back-up best man!

thanks! he's my OH's big brother so ideally he'll be there, but i guess you just don't know with something like this.

fingers crossed for you getting over there too, all we can do is hope that things will work in our favour at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

if flights are allowed to resume again, and its up to the airlines to decide

the way i understand it at the minute is that the ash extends over parts of ireland and then eastwards over europe/scandinavia etc.

a flight to chicago should be ok once you clear irish airspace, i think some transatlantic flights got out from shannon anyways when this all started but have since been grounded.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

thanks! he's my OH's big brother so ideally he'll be there, but i guess you just don't know with something like this.

fingers crossed for you getting over there too, all we can do is hope that things will work in our favour at this stage.

Yep. things could be worse. I'm safe in my parents house and work are being fairly understanding, although the NZ media's coverage of the whole thing is quite bad. I also got a weeks extension on a college assignment with a promise that if my flight got cancelled again then I could have longer.

Compared to a lot of other people, I'm very very lucky so all I can do is sit tight and hope!

Advertisement