Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

volcanic ash from Iceland heading towards europe with airports expected to be closed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Looks like the ash plume has stopped for the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Just occured to me that with no planes using airspace will the industrial nations use this as a chance to say that their carbon emmissions are down.
    Will be curious to see what the stats on greenhouse emmissions will be like for next calendar year.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Anyone think this was an act TERRORISM?!

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭CrazySka

All the worries about travel are ridiculous. I'm sorry for anyone stuck far from home but there's a huge mass of volcanic dust wandering over some of the most populous places on earth. It's a fascinating big geological event but all I'm seeing on the news is crap about the airports.
    There are people saying they've been stranded in Paris since Thursday. If you'd hopped on a train and boat you'd have been home on Saturday. The entire world was overrun with humans millennia before we could fly.
    It's silly to see how badly people are taking the news that they can't be crammed like cattle into dingy flying buses for a few days. Remember the good old days when trains, cars, buses, bicycles and boats used to be considered valid forms of transport?
    Wait until we run out of kiwis and the real trouble starts.

Thats very insulting to us people stuck in various places, there are reasons why people cant just change their travel plans like that things like having no money or kids/elderly relatives in tow.
    Eurostar can cost between 100 to 400 quid depending on where youre getting it from, the train from London to Holyhead costs as well and then the ferry journey, do you thing these things are free besides the fact that they are a long day-day and a halfs travel?
    Even besides all that do you think that there are empty trains just waiting for people to book? The capacity on European flights far outweighs the capacity on Eurostar or Ferries.
    I booked Eurostar yesterday and could not get a seat until Thursday.The fact that we got around before there were planes means nothing as its the most relied on form of international travel. Should I spend the next four days thinkng about this amazing geological event or the fact that Im nearly broke, have no gear as the airline has my bag and cant get home till Thursday/Friday???

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

No.

• Advertisement

No, unless you believe in god, then he may a terrorist!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

It was jacobs fault. losties will know what Im talking about :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Bloody keyboard experts are right. There are 100s of thousands of people stuck around Europe in the "wrong" place. I'm in Madrid and you have no idea of the chaos here, and Paris is supposed to be worse as everyone seems t be heading in that direction. The earliest you can get a train from Madrid to Paris is next Saturday. Same with buses. The bloody French railworkers are on strike so even if you get a train the Spanish rail company will only guarantee your passage within Spain. There are no rental cars - those with money are buying cars and travelling North. Even if you get to the ports there are not enough ferries to transport everyone who wants to buy a ticket.

Luckily for us we have a way out because we booked a bus 3 days ago. But there are families with kids here who are fast running out of money and accomodation, and we have met a lot of backpacking students who don't have the spare cash to stay or move. And they are the lucky ones because they are at least in Europe.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

No, unless you believe in god, then he may a terrorist!
    What an intriguing notion...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭moonstreet

um NO, Ive been caught up in a real terrorist attack, I was on the Island of Manhattan for the September 11 2001 terrorist attacks. I was near Times Square when the planes hit The World Trade Centre, and the memories of that day and the days that followed will haunt me forever.

This is in no way a terrorist attack. If you are not religious and dont believe in God,thats fine, then its just an act of nature. But please for those who have been in actual real terrorist attacks, you post could be very offensive and destressing........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Send a gunboat! UK to deploy aircraft carriers

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/fivelivebreakfast/arkroyal.jpg
    http://tcal.net/wp-content/uploads/2006/06/hms_ocean.jpg

re the Terrorist angle (!) I thought earlier "how puny Al Qaeda look when set beside one fairly puny Volcano".

• Registered Users Posts: 12,433 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

moonstreet wrote: »
    um NO, Ive been caught up in a real terrorist attack, I was on the Island of Manhattan for the September 11 2001 terrorist attacks. I was near Times Square when the planes hit The World Trade Centre, and the memories of that day and the days that followed will haunt me forever.

This is in no way a terrorist attack. If you are not religious and dont believe in God,thats fine, then its just an act of nature. But please for those who have been in actual real terrorist attacks, you post could be very offensive and destressing........

Its offensive because he mentioned the word terrorism??!! Cop on. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 willied55

What bus are you getting from Paris to Cherbourg and where in Paris does it leave from?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

willied55 wrote: »
    What bus are you getting from Paris to Cherbourg and where in Paris does it leave from?
    Im interested knowing this as well. I think I'm going to have to go Ferry. I'm in Germany so need a train to some place in France.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Perhaps God is muslim and we backed the wrong horse.

Save me al jazeera!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

NO. I don’t believe that this is an act of terrorism although I well believe it could be hijacked by the powers that be as with previous “acts of terrorism”. God only knows what “restrictions” or "penalties" may be imposed on us further down the line because of this.

moonstreet wrote: »

You weren't 'caught up' in it, you happened to be in New York that day along with millions of other people. My uncle is a firefighter there and he pulled hundreds of bodies out of the rubble and he doesn't go around objecting to the word terrorism. Neither does my friend, whose mother died in the Twin Towers. I know people like to feel like they were part of huge catastrophic events, but get some cop on, for God's sake :rolleyes: I find it much more offensive that you're acting like you're a 9/11 victim when I know several people who actually were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Agonist

CiaranC wrote: »
    Just because you havent left your parents house in weeks, doesnt mean that reality applies to everyone else. The ferries are full. Bloody keyboard experts.

But what's the point of leaving the house when I can't go anywhere, seeing as all the flights are cancelled?

The ferries are full because people discovered that actually the world hasn't ended and the countries are no further apart than they were before the volcano erupted. Thereby proving my original point.

My sympathy for people who are stranded still stands.

Agonist wrote: »
    But what's the point of leaving the house when I can't go anywhere, seeing as all the flights are cancelled?

The ferries are full because people discovered that actually the world hasn't ended and the countries are no further apart than they were before the volcano erupted. Thereby proving my original point.

Well lucky for you that you have nowhere you absolutely have to be. Perhaps if you were missing an important interview, your daughter's wedding or a 10,000 euro holiday in the Bahamas you weren't going to get compensation for, you'd see what everyone else sees. What IS your point, anyway? Yes, aeroplanes didn't always exist, but now they do, and people rely on them.

On another topic - I'm getting very annoyed with Aer Lingus. I tried to submit the 'refund request' form on their website but it's one of those e-mail forms you have to submit through Outlook (who the hell still uses those?) I wasn't able to do it from the college lab and have no other PC to use. The date of my outbound flight has passed and I was supposed to be returning today. What should I do? Can I still get my money back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Agonist wrote: »

I live in New Zealand and I can tell you it feels a lot further away now I can't get on a plane and get home. It takes two days, even by plane. It used to take people 6 weeks by boat to get there before everyone could afford to fly.

I have to get back to work and my family and I'm stuck in Dublin. If I had a choice, if I was going on holiday I'd cancel it but I'm not.

Your posts are extremely unhelpful and then you finish it off by saying you have sympathy for people who are stranded - as an afterthough. It certainly doesn't sound like you have any sympathy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Any chances of planes being able to fly out on Friday morning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Any chances of planes being able to fly out on Friday morning?

I really hope so, I'm booked for Wednesday afternoon :(
    not cancelled yet but certainly looking bad.....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

willied55 wrote: »

The train is a LOT faster and maybe even cheaper than taking a bus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Ponster wrote: »
    The train is a LOT faster and maybe even cheaper than taking a bus.

There is a rail strike in France. Some trains are running but it would be more reliable to take a bus.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

There is a rail strike in France. Some trains are running but it would be more reliable to take a bus.

It's ok. I live in France and can confirm that the trains are running to the ferry terminals.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

Yeah. I'm looking forward to the War On Plate Tectonics.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭patmac

An Icelandic contact just informed me that Reykavik is being prepared for mass evacuation to Greenland in case the wind changes. Although the chances are slim pretty scary all the same.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

patmac wrote: »
    An Icelandic contact just informed me that Reykavik is being prepared for mass evacuation to Greenland in case the wind changes. Although the chances are slim pretty scary all the same.

:eek: Jaysus its like the end of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

I had a nightmare last night because of this volcano talk.

I ran out of my house to see a load of wheelie bins on fire and about twenty volcanoes in the distance erupting. Recognising it as the end of days I still tried to get the flaming bins away from the house, then away from the gas pipe I pushed them towards. :rolleyes: Then I tried looking for a route to escape the approaching flaming lava, but found none.

On a lighter note, I have a nice house on a mountain with a giant garden in my dreams.

I'm pretty sure that the dream was an omen signalling the apocalypse.

But I did have a lot of cheese before bedtime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,382 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Check this out. Graph Inside:

It would appear that this volcano is actually better for the environment than a day of European Aviation Industry operations.

http://gizmodo.com/5519809/eyjafjallajokull-daily-co2-output-utterly-dwarfed-by-european-aviation-industry
    Mt. Eyjafjallajökull is wreaking havoc on European travel right now, but what about the continent's environment? That's a lot of CO2 in the air, after all, but you'd be surprised to learn the airplanes it's grounded are much, much worse.

As you can see in the big, colorful graph, the European aviation industry's daily CO2 output completely dominates poor Eyjafjallajökull with a daily tally of 344,109 tons of CO2 per day. Compared to the volcano's 15,000 tons, that's quite the difference.

Having said that though, perhaps theres a lot of plant life starved for all that CO2 enrichment.

Advertisement