Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

volcanic ash from Iceland heading towards europe with airports expected to be closed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Overheal wrote: »
    It would appear that this volcano is actually better for the environment than a day of European Aviation Industry operations.

I've heard the extra suphur in the air will help to counteract the effects of global warming too.

Moar volcanos!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭PJTierney

I really hope so, I'm booked for Wednesday afternoon :(
    not cancelled yet but certainly looking bad.....
    I'm also booked for Wednesday afternoon, Shannon to JFK (Aer Lingus).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

I had a nightmare last night because of this volcano talk.

I ran out of my house to see a load of wheelie bins on fire and about twenty volcanoes in the distance erupting. Recognising it as the end of days I still tried to get the flaming bins away from the house, then away from the gas pipe I pushed them towards. :rolleyes: Then I tried looking for a route to escape the approaching flaming lava, but found none.

On a lighter note, I have a nice house on a mountain with a giant garden in my dreams.

I'm pretty sure that the dream was an omen signalling the apocalypse.

But I did have a lot of cheese before bedtime.

No...dude....you were just dreaming of Limerick...
    TPD wrote: »
    I've heard the extra suphur in the air will help to counteract the effects of global warming too.

Moar volcanos!
    I thought suplpur was an even worse greenhouse gas than Co2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭achtungbarry

My parents are stuck in Lanzarote. They went on their first holiday in ages.

They were due back today and rang the so called help line at Dept of Foreign Affairs who basically told them to sod off, you are on your own.

They didn't offer helpful addresses, phone numbers or try and suggest travel alternatives. Not a thing.

What is the point of as help line if there is no help whatsoever?

Look at the British organising the navy etc. to collect stranded people.

And then look at our tin pot banana republic excuse for a government's response: a helpline that offers zero help.

I'm not expecting them to click their fingers and magically fix everything but a bit of help and advice to two elderly people is not beyond reason.

I and other family members are doing our best to find solutions but we're damned if we are going to get any real help from our incompetent shower of muppets in the Dail.

We're worse as a nation for tolerating them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

And then look at our tin pot banana republic excuse for a government's response: a helpline that offers zero help.

Cut the government some slack.
    They're busy implementing water charges.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭PJTierney

Weather forecasters in Ireland today signalled a no-flight order imposed amid fears over the volcanic ash cloud will ease tomorrow evening.

Met Eireann said information from geological experts in London suggested the eruption in Iceland has virtually stopped and the plume may move north in the next 24-36 hours.

David Murphy, head of the agency's aviation services division, said he was optimistic the situation would dramatically improve after five days of almost total airspace shut down.

"The good news is that the most recent advice we have from the London Volcano Ash Advisory Centre is that the eruption has virtually ceased with only small amounts of ash and it goes up only to about 6,000ft," he told RTE Radio.

"If that continues, in other words if the eruption has ceased and remains stopped then the current ash plume will probably be blown away from the UK and Ireland overnight, by tomorrow night at the latest.

"There's a good chance that Ireland and UK airspace, or most of it, will be clear by some time coming into tomorrow evening or at the latest the following morning."

Irish Independent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

The UK is lifting their flight ban tomorrow, according to the DM-not the most reliable i know, but....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1267257/Iceland-volcano-eruption-UK-flight-ban-LIFTED-tomorrow.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

My parents are stuck in Lanzarote. They went on their first holiday in ages.

They were due back today and rang the so called help line at Dept of Foreign Affairs who basically told them to sod off, you are on your own.

Contact the department of social and family affairs and tell them you've been left home alone with nobody to look after you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Cherrycola wrote: »
    The UK is lifting their flight ban tomorrow, according to the DM-not the most reliable i know, but....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1267257/Iceland-volcano-eruption-UK-flight-ban-LIFTED-tomorrow.html

Not according to nats.. who CONTROL the airspace.

owenc wrote: »

I did say not the most reliable! :rolleyes:

Just passing on the info, jeez.....:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

patmac wrote: »
    An Icelandic contact just informed me that Reykavik is being prepared for mass evacuation to Greenland in case the wind changes. Although the chances are slim pretty scary all the same.

Although these bits of info are honestly intriguing, what do you mean by an Icelandic 'contact'? Are you in the aviation industry, or is this a regular 'Plan B' op that Reykavik has in the wings? No offence intended!

Well looky here.....

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE63I3SQ20100419
    :p

And some more...

http://www.nats.co.uk/

And some more...

http://www.nats.co.uk/

Yea they aren't opening the whole of the uk airspace.:rolleyes: thats my point thats lies!

Yea they aren't opening the whole of the uk airspace.:rolleyes: thats my point thats lies!

Scotland is in the UK, and to quote directly from Nats...

From 0700 (local time) tomorrow, Tuesday, Scottish airspace will be open

No one said the WHOLE of UK airspace was open, just that UK airspace was open from tomorrow.

So i dont see where the lies are sonny?! :rolleyes:

Scotland is in the UK, and to quote directly from Nats...

From 0700 (local time) tomorrow, Tuesday, Scottish airspace will be open

No one said the WHOLE of UK airspace was open, just that UK airspace was open from tomorrow.

So i dont see where the lies are sonny?! :rolleyes:

aye but some people are trying to say they will open the southern airspace aswell. when does the irish airspace open?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

aye but some people are trying to say they will open the southern airspace aswell. when does the irish airspace open?

Nobody knows........yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Sure all this volcanic ash is going to clog the air filters in the cars and only the culchies with horse 'n' carts are going to be able to get around in a months time. Volcanoes can continue spewing out ash for months.

It'll be the perfect storm, and the best time for aliens to attack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Blobby George

when are da ryanair flights taking off again?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

when are da ryanair flights taking off again?

When the airspace over the departure airport, the arrival airport, and all the airspace in between is open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Read some Tweets about Hekla beginning to erupt now =/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

No! How big is this Volcano

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Webmonkey wrote: »
    No! How big is this Volcano

Fairly big! It's known as 'The Gateway to Hell"

Wait for some proper reports before worrying though

Fairly big! It's known as 'The Gateway to Hell"

Wait for some proper reports before worrying though
    Yeah Just read that on Wikipedia. Crap.

Yeah might be false alarm. Might take a while before ash starts going up anyways...just hope I get home Thursday! I don't think anyone will be travelling abroad for some time now

Ok it appears to be a false alarm from what I can gather. They pointed the Hekla camera at the currently erupting volcano :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

Read some Tweets about Hekla beginning to erupt now =/

Other tweets are saying it is a creation of twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭flashforward

The airspace is beginning to open now. Purely due to the Airlines pressure.
    I certainly wouldn't get on a plane based on a small number of test flights showing no ash damage.

Asking for trouble imo.

Mr.S wrote: »
    Seems to be a small window where a few flights can take place, according to reports, the eruptuption has gotten worse, so that'll hit Europe around Wednesday.
    I could have booked my flight for tomorrow instead of Thursday but decided Thursday as I didn't think anything go tomorrow. How unfortunate

Mr.S wrote: »
    Where are you going? most of continental Europe will still be closed tomorrow.

AFAIK, its just Irish/UK (North of Blackpool) airspace that is reopening. Along with the usual Southern countries which where never effected.
    Munich, Germany to Cork. Maybe they won't go ahead. The flights tomorrow are booked out.

Edit:
    rte.ie wrote:
    18.25 Aer Lingus has confirmed that all flights from Dublin, Cork and Belfast to Spain, Portugal and Italy with a scheduled departure time up to 13:00 will operate as scheduled tomorrow, Tuesday 20 April.

Aer Lingus aims to operate the majority of its European schedule post 13:00. The status of flights post 13:00 will be confirmed on aerlingus.com on Tuesday morning.

Transatlantic

Aer Lingus will operate its full transatlantic schedule between Ireland and the US on Tuesday 20 April.

London

All flights from Dublin, Cork, Knock, Shannon and Belfast to London Heathrow and Gatwick with a scheduled departure time up to 13:00, Tuesday 20 April, have been cancelled. Operations on these services post 13:00 remain under review, however we hope to operate the majority of the schedule between Ireland and London for the remainder of the day. The status of flights post 13:00 will be confirmed on aerlingus.com on Tuesday morning.

Aer Lingus Regional

Aer Lingus Regional flights from Dublin and Cork will operate as scheduled tomorrow with the exception of flights to and from Cardiff.

Just as well Thursday so. Aer Lingus are so slow to update their site.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Just because the NI/ Scottish airspace is open doesn't mean that you'll be able to get anywhere. Of most use for any transatlantic flights, but if the route would take you anywhere across central Europe it will still be a no go. A Glasgow to Rome (I think that is still open) is unlikely to happen due to the big detour they would have to make to get there.

Advertisement